AL - Woman Indicted in Self-Defense Shooting of Her Unborn Child, Pleasant Grove, Dec 2018

Absolutely the "Mother" should also be charged in this. Since she was the one who initiated the fight she put her unborn baby girl in danger and ultimately was equally to blame for her demise. I use quotations when referring to the word "Mother" because this female is IMO not really a Mother. A real Mother wouldn't put her child in unnecessary danger this way. This is just my opinion. So sad, another life wasted...

Pretty cold-blooded of the police to state that the woman who was shot - whose flesh was pierced by a bullet and whose blood was spilled - was not a victim. As far as we know, she was unarmed. Fight or no fight. And convenient that a romantic rival just happened to shoot this pregnant woman in the abdomen to "defend herself".

Was she armed? And does it really matter what the fight was over? The woman's not being charged for fighting or instigating a fight- she's being charged with manslaughter. The actual killer has had charges dropped. The killer shot her in the abdomen. The fact that she was shot doesn't seem to register - as though her life matters less than anyone else's in this scenario. If the pregnant woman had a chance/duty to walk away, so did the shooter.

Last edited:
Was she armed? And does it really matter what the fight was over? The woman's not being charged for fighting or instigating a fight- she's being charged with manslaughter. The actual killer has had charges dropped. The killer shot her in the abdomen. The fact that she was shot doesn't seem to register - as though her life matters less than anyone else's in this scenario. If the pregnant woman had a chance/duty to walk away, so did the shooter.
From what I've read, not only did she initiate the attack, she continued on with it. If that's the case and the shooter had no chance to walk away, I can see why the charges went the way they did.

"In a case that has horrified reproductive rights advocates across the country, Marshae Jones, a 27-year-old pregnant Alabama woman, has been indicted for the death of her fetus after being shot in the stomach during a fight. She is being charged with manslaughter for the fetus’s death, and was being held on $50,000 bond as of Wednesday night.

Earlier this year, Jones was shot in the stomach during an altercation in front of a Dollar General store in Pleasant Grove, Alabama. She was five months pregnant at the time. The altercation was reportedly over the identity of the father of Jones’ fetus. Although she was rushed to the hospital shortly afterwards, she lost the pregnancy.

Ebony Jamison, the alleged shooter, was also charged with manslaughter as a result of the shooting. Those charges were later dropped, however, after a grand jury declined to indict her, due to police officials’ claims that Jones had started the fight and Jamison had acted out of self-defense.

Shortly after the initial altercation, police officials were quick to blame Jones for her role in the shooting. “When a five-month pregnant woman initiates a fight and attacks another person, I believe some responsibility lies with her as to any injury to her unborn child,’’ police chief Danny Reid told AL.com after the fight. “That child is dependent on its mother to try to keep it from harm, and she shouldn’t seek out unnecessary physical altercations.”"

Alabama Pregnant Woman Shot in Stomach, Charged With Manslaughter

Assuming she was unarmed, I can't justify shooting a pregnant woman in the belly. There's no way. Then to charge her for manslaughter, but not the killer. Then to act like her being shot is no big deal and she was asking for it. Our society has gotten to a sick, uncivilized place. People have been trashy drama queens who fight over lovers since forever. But this legal response is new...or maybe old, like the mythical Wild Wild West.

Last edited:
Absolutely the "Mother" should also be charged in this. Since she was the one who initiated the fight she put her unborn baby girl in danger and ultimately was equally to blame for her demise. I use quotations when referring to the word "Mother" because this female is IMO not really a Mother. A real Mother wouldn't put her child in unnecessary danger this way. This is just my opinion. So sad, another life wasted...

Dear Lord.

I had a much longer response but I decided to delete a lot of it because, rage and just plain sadness. Won’t even touch the self defense issue. I know what site I’m on so I’ll be respectful.

But where does this end?

She didn’t protect her unborn baby?

What’s next? An abused women is charged after she is beat by her abuser and miscarries and gets charged for manslaughter because she didn’t leave and protect her baby?

Because this leaves things wide freaking open for this to happen and if you don’t think so, please open your eyes.

Last edited:
Assuming she was unarmed, I can't justify shooting a pregnant woman in the belly. There's no way. Then to charge her for manslaughter, but not the killer. Then to act like her being shot is no big deal and she was asking for it. Our society has gotten to a sick, uncivilized place. People have been trashy drama queens who fight over lovers since forever. But this legal response is new...or maybe old, like the mythical Wild Wild West.

***Applause***

What’s next? An abused women is charged after she is beat by her abuser and miscarries and gets charged for manslaughter because she didn’t leave and protect her baby?

Because this leaves things wide freaking open for this to happen and if you don’t think so, please open your eyes.

Yes, indeed.

Dear Lord.
That's honestly how I see it. I mean, it's awful that she got shot and I'm not trying to make that seem trivial. The shooter should not get off easily in this case... But the female who was shot should also be considered. She also put a human beings life in danger.. A helpless human being, who had no say in the matter. When you're pregnant your thoughts should shift to the life growing inside of you, not to your own jealousy or rivalry. She could have easily walked away and not initiated a fight which in my opinion is what should have happened. It's awful that she was shot but ultimately the unborn child is the one who paid the highest price.. It's just sad. Not trying to be disrespectful, this is just my opinion.

I am having a difficult time understanding the D.A.’s reasoning here. My understanding is that one can only use lethal force(firearms are considered lethal weapons) when one is confronted by someone who has the intent to do you grievous bodily harm or death and has the ability to do so and you are in jeopardy of this happening immediately.
The average unarmed female simply does not possess the ability to cause death or great bodily harm to another unarmed female perhaps in the movies or t.v. But in real life no.
If you’ve ever been in a bar fight or street fight you will know that the average male vs male altercation very very rarely results in great or permanent injury either. I can certainly see why the attacker should be charged with assault but if anyone should be charged with manslaughter it can only be the shooter. I can’t see the mother being charged if this happened in a more progressive state like NY or California. I also don’t see any chance of a conviction even in Alabama unless the judge in the case is sone wack job like roy moore.

Recent article

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.w...9-9a16-dc551ea5a43b_story.html?outputType=amp

...”the office of District Attorney Lynneice O. Washington said there has been no decision on whether to pursue the case against Jones. Washington’s office said in a statement they “feel sympathy for all the families involved, including Mrs. Jones, who lost her unborn child.”

While the grand jury “had its say,” the statement said, the office has “not yet made a determination about whether to prosecute it as a manslaughter case, reduce it to a lesser charge or not to prosecute it.”

Wouldn't this had to have been presented to a grand jury for charges BY the prosecutor? <confused>

And I agree Keefer, who shoots a pregnant woman (20 weeks) in the stomach in self defense? How is it not obvious?

I can't help but think this has something to do with the recent legislation passed in AL. But I won't go further than that, due to TOS.

I don't think that's so. At least not directly. It seems more the case of a grand jury trying (and failing) to reconcile & apply what IMO are two problematic laws.

What a slippery slope, even leaving the stand your ground aspect aside. Can a husband be charged with manslaughter if he speeds in a car carrying his pregnant wife, is hit by a reckless driver, and his wife miscarries as a result of the accident? Or is the wife at fault & guilty of manslaughter because she didn't prevent her husband from driving too fast?

Crazy. Untenable. Maddening.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back