Africa - Seychelles Police Probe Deaths of Sisters Annie and Robin Korkki Sept 2016

Just found this. Here we go:

http://m.seychellesnewsagency.com/a...d+in+deaths+of+American+sisters,+tests+reveal

According to the statement, Robin Marie Korkki, 42, died of “acute pulmonary edema due to acute combined drug intoxication (codeine, morphine and alcohol)” while Anne Marie Korkki, 37, died of “acute pulmonary and cerebral edema due to acute combined drug intoxication (codeine, morphine and alcohol).”

Manner of death is accidental. RIP ladies, so sad. :rose::rose:

http://m.seychellesnewsagency.com/a...d+in+deaths+of+American+sisters,+tests+reveal

Yes, it is sad.

Here's some info for those (like me) who are unfamiliar with the conditions.

Pulmonary edema: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pulmonary-edema/basics/definition/con-20022485

Cerebral edema: http://www.medicalook.com/Neurological_disorders/Cerebral_edema.html

RIP to the two sisters.

Yes, it is sad.

Here's some info for those (like me) who are unfamiliar with the conditions.

Pulmonary edema: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pulmonary-edema/basics/definition/con-20022485

Cerebral edema: http://www.medicalook.com/Neurological_disorders/Cerebral_edema.html

RIP to the two sisters.

Thank you for the info. Part of me is questioning this a bit, but it's pointless. I was a little surprised to find this much info, and now it's simply case closed. We'll never hear another word. MOO

Two sisters, very close and on a grand vacation together, drinking a lot and popping the same pills for an added buzz...it's entirely possible that it is just what it appears to be.

Some people don't believe that overdoses can be accidental, meaning that there must be suicidal intent. Yes, they can. I've done it and it absolutely was an accident. Having a great ol' time, highly intoxicated, wanting to be more intoxicated, at some point you're no longer capable of making good decisions. No clue how much you've had, how much you've taken, until you wake up in the ER, or worse. Waking up and having that "Oh, c***" moment is awful, but I'm thankful that I lived to have it.

Sigh. Just rambling here. Sad story.

IMO they can't prove if it was accidental or not, I wonder if they had these drugs in their possession. Still think it's possible they were drugged by someone. But we'll never know.

IMO they can't prove if it was accidental or not, I wonder if they had these drugs in their possession. Still think it's possible they were drugged by someone. But we'll never know.
I agree. Absolutely bizarre. We will never know but I'm going with drugged purposefully. Double accidental overdose??? Too coincidental. What's that saying about no coincidences, but clues?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

IMO I don't believe this proves it was accidental. It seems very odd to me that 2 young very fit and physically active sisters would BOTH be taking Codeine and Morphine. IMO, the vibe I get is that it was a suicide pact of sorts, this trip was their 'last hurrah', they spared no expense.

A very good question was posted in the comments under the article above......and that is, the sisters had reportedly extended their stay at the resort for 2 more days, had they ALSO changed their flight home to a later date as well? If not, that would indicate that they sadly had no intention of returning.

IMO I don't believe this proves it was accidental. It seems very odd to me that 2 young very fit and physically active sisters would BOTH be taking Codeine and Morphine. IMO, the vibe I get is that it was a suicide pact of sorts, this trip was their 'last hurrah', they spared no expense.

A very good question was posted in the comments under the article above......and that is, the sisters had reportedly extended their stay at the resort for 2 more days, had they ALSO changed their flight home to a later date as well? If not, that would indicate that they sadly had no intention of returning.

Without any proof the OD was intentional would they have to rule accidental?

Like if what you're saying is what happened but they didn't tell anyone and didn't leave a note or any hints, and hadn't displayed any common signs of suicidal ideation or history of depression - might an ME determine unknown intentional or accidental, or rule accidental? If it has to be one or the other I can understand calling it accidental.

I had a feeling that a urine ot vitrious humor drug screen had been done at autopsy and it was predetermined to be an overdose. I think that's why the family wasn't upset about the way things happened wrt their bodies.
I believe I remember that there were prescription bottles removed from the room as well.
However it happened, they left this world together and IMO, that is how they would want it.
So sad, they still had a lot of life left to live.

MOO

Had to go back and refresh my memory. No illegal drugs, but there were prescription drugs. So, would they have prescriptions for codeine and morphine ? Those are some really strong pain medications. If so, very possibly suicide. I'd like to know as well if they had changed their flight to return home.

I really wasn't trying to prove anything. I've just seen the argument many times, not necessarily here, that only hard core addicts or suicidal people OD. That is not true, IMO.

What you're saying is what led me to say that I'm still questioning this a bit but we will never know. Sadly, you could very well be right. I guess I, and maybe the family, would rather think this was a tragic accident - that their last days we're spent having a fantastic time - rather than them contemplating and putting a suicide pact into effect.

Maybe their family is aware of the possibility that this was suicide, maybe they even know that to be fact. I don't know that. Unless they come out to advocate for suicide prevention or something, I'm just taking this for what it is. Two beautiful women are deceased and I hope their loved ones are healing. :heartbeat:

Had to go back and refresh my memory. No illegal drugs, but there were prescription drugs. So, would they have prescriptions for codeine and morphine ? Those are some really strong pain medications. If so, very possibly suicide. I'd like to know as well if they had changed their flight to return home.

I assumed "illegal drugs" meant drugs like meth, coke, heroin, etc., and didn't mean there were no legal drugs (codeine, adderall, tylenol, xanax, morphine, etc). I think they acquired the codeine and morphine illegally though.

I'm curious about the flight too.

What was the name of the medications listed on the labels of the prescription bottles found in the women's room? I don't ever recall the medications being named in any of the news articles. Guess they want the public to assume codeine and morphine were in the bottles.

The family must have been satisfied after receiving the preliminary coroner's report since they cremated the bodies on the island and had a celebration of life ceremony before they returned home.

Seems like this is either suicide or accidental OD and whichever it is, the family knows. That's why we haven't heard outrage from them. So the sisters either had a history of depression or drug abuse. Could be both.

I had a feeling that a urine ot vitrious humor drug screen had been done at autopsy and it was predetermined to be an overdose. I think that's why the family wasn't upset about the way things happened wrt their bodies.
I believe I remember that there were prescription bottles removed from the room as well.
However it happened, they left this world together and IMO, that is how they would want it.
So sad, they still had a lot of life left to live.

MOO

Hello Pamela! I always appreciate your posts. They are founded in years of experience as an RN.

As you are aware my husband is continuing chemo to combat his battle with cancer. I appreciate both DeDee and your support over the last couple of years. We are both so busy with labs & infusions that I do not post anymore.

Now,to my question,'How easy to get script for any drug you desire in this $$$ enclave?' My point being although the pharmacy bottles are dispensed by a physician in reality they are prescribed on demand.

I would assume they either decided never to return to their old routines or they sadly consumed too much alcohol & pain killers. Very tragic case.
My Opinion Only

I think they would have been easier to get in the states and taken there. Perhaps ordered online through some wedding or even ebay.
I recently found out that is how the friend of my son that OD'd got his phenazepam* (which isn't even sold by pharmacies in the US)
Cherokee County, the GBI and the FBI took his computer and traced it back to a nurse RN* in New York, he was selling them on ebay. I was shocked that, in this case, they actually followed through!*

*http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/CriminalInvestigations/ucm323965.htm

So needless to say, .if you want it bad enough and have the money, you will find it somehow.

*still praying for your husband!

Isn't morphine for heavy duty pain? Like for after surgery?

I would assume they either decided never to return to their old routines or they sadly consumed too much alcohol & pain killers or poisoned by insecticides or illegal liquor substituted for Top Shelf Brands. Very tragic case.
My Opinion Only

I was thinking about this tragedy today. This was late 2016 but only now are we reading of the poisonings in The Dominican Republic.

I’d love your opinion neesaki or Pamela_Brewer or any Websleuths Posters?

So needless to say, .if you want it bad enough and have the money, you will find it somehow.

Had to go back and refresh my memory.

Today I read an article at CNN describing the symptoms that a family experienced while staying at a posh resort in the DR. This got me thinking if the poor sisters were poisoned in Seychelles and there was a cover up like all the stories coming out of the DR.

The autopsy <snip>
Robin died of acute pulmonary edema due to acute combined drug intoxication (codeine, morphine and alcohol)& while Anne Marie Korkki, 37, died of & acute pulmonary and cerebral edema due to acute combined drug intoxication (codeine, morphine and alcohol).

CNN Investigates Dominican Republic Sickness/Deaths
<snip>Nieves said her sister had drinks, including a beverage from the minibar, then took a shower and went to bed. Her fiancé found her dead the next day.
A year after Sport's death, her sister said the family still has not been given results of a toxicology test.
After deaths, more tourists to Dominican Republic say they were stricken with illness - CNN

I was thinking about this tragedy today. This was late 2016 but only now are we reading of the poisonings in The Dominican Republic.

I’d love your opinion neesaki or Pamela_Brewer or any Websleuths Posters?

Today I read an article at CNN describing the symptoms that a family experienced while staying at a posh resort in the DR. This got me thinking if the poor sisters were poisoned in Seychelles and there was a cover up like all the stories coming out of the DR.

The autopsy <snip>
Robin died of acute pulmonary edema due to acute combined drug intoxication (codeine, morphine and alcohol)& while Anne Marie Korkki, 37, died of & acute pulmonary and cerebral edema due to acute combined drug intoxication (codeine, morphine and alcohol).

CNN Investigates Dominican Republic Sickness/Deaths
<snip>Nieves said her sister had drinks, including a beverage from the minibar, then took a shower and went to bed. Her fiancé found her dead the next day.
A year after Sport's death, her sister said the family still has not been given results of a toxicology test.
After deaths, more tourists to Dominican Republic say they were stricken with illness - CNN
I had forgotten about this tragic case, it has always mystified me. Now that you bring it up, I think it is very possible that what happened to these two sisters could have been due to similar or the same circumstances as those in the DR. I do remember thinking they could have been drugged. So terrible.

I had forgotten about this tragic case, it has always mystified me. Now that you bring it up, I think it is very possible that what happened to these two sisters could have been due to similar or the same circumstances as those in the DR. I do remember thinking they could have been drugged. So terrible.

Yes, it appears the resort Annie and Robin stayed at in Seychelles was one of the most $$$ in the world. Everything from accommodations and room service to luxury meals and drinks included at no additional cost.In the DR it appears the same type of high end vacation resorts are involved in the illness and deaths of US vacationers.

Just tonight there was another article on the growing number of people reportedly who have fallen gravely ill.

Not unlike Annie and Robin it seems there are two categories of poisonings. They fall into either illnesses reported after having drinks in the bar or visitors falling ill after staying in rooms that have recently been fumigated. There appears to be prescription medicines that very well could have been involved in the sisters deaths.

If during Annie and Robins stay Rx refills were needed; the possibility exists that a Rx substitution was made. Not all prescription meds are stocked locally. Just one more question I have about the oversight of medicines, chemicals and liquor on the island nation.

Canadian woman who says she fell critically ill on Dominican Republic vacation says doctor flagged possible poisoning
<snip>
Three deaths in May, and one last year, occurred at resorts owned by Bahia Principe. All four U.S. tourists died in their rooms after suddenly falling critically ill. Two of the tourists were said to have died shortly after consuming a beverage from the room minibar. A Maryland couple who died May 30 were found dead by a hotel employee who went to their room after they'd failed to check out.
Canadian woman who says she fell critically ill on Dominican Republic vacation says doctor flagged possible poisoning

I have to wonder if in these island nations the staff are barely paid a living wage.It would certainly make it easy for unethical managers to substitute substandard fumigation chemicals, drugs/medications or bootleg liquor to make extra cash.

I am still uneasy about the last days and hours leading up to Annie and Robin being found poisoned in their beds. It just doesn’t pass the smell test.

MOO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆