Australia Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
As tight as was possible.. his long lasting rage about the Bankcard is a clue, but I always thought it odd that Lynn didn't have access to the family car. Apparently, she 'didn't drive' a real oddity for her time and age and situation in life, owner of a home , two small daughters, a job to keep up, an extended family. No.. that doesn't sound right, considering the pool, etc. It wasn't money. And she was a qualified nursing sister, most of her contemporaries would be drivers, and owners of their own vehicles.

I wonder if Marilyn was a 'non driver' too, and was she confined to home as well by some esoteric rule about wives not having the husbands car. It certainly left Paul and Chris with acres of unsupervised and unaccountable time, which they , we now know , used to knock off schoolgirls , sometimes in the back seat of that family car, where a nosy wife wouldn't be looking.

Which brings me to the bit where, here, it's Saturday morning, Lynn gets Chris to drive her to the bus stop where she then disappears into thin air!.. who would get the person they are running away from to drive them to the bus stop?

I'm nearly 60 and don't know how to drive, it's simply something that has never interested me, nor was it something I needed to do (I don't have kids). Hubby usually drives me where I want to go. But then again, he has never dropped me off at a bus stop to go shopping and not driven me a few KMs further to the actual shops I wanted to go to.
Honestly, his story is such a crock, it has more holes than my dodgy crocheting.

Chris's story has enough holes to drive a truck thru, and in many ways this latest 'sighting' underlines the nuttiness of his original story. Because, if Chris is to be believed, and events so proved, Lynn wasn't just 'running away ' from him. She ' ran ' from her mother and father, brothers, sisters , nieces , nephews. God children. . Friends, work colleagues, neighbors, sister and brothers in law, in laws parents.

She 'ran' from the Australian Taxation office, from Medicare, from any doctor in the entire nation. She never got ill, or went on the pill, or even got a toothache. She had miraculous unbroken perfect health. She never did get a drivers licence, she never bought another property, she never had the gas or electricity turned on at any place she ever lived in.

Or water. She never had water connected to any place she lived in either.

He murdered her and he couldn't even think up a decent story.
That's why he has now come up with a new story, with his lawyer and some "credible witnesses" - she had run away to become a nurse at Curl Curl!

I hope the police is able to tear apart that story... After wasting more of our tax money.

Chris's story has enough holes to drive a truck thru, and in many ways this latest 'sighting' underlines the nuttiness of his original story. Because, if Chris is to be believed, and events so proved, Lynn wasn't just 'running away ' from him. She ' ran ' from her mother and father, brothers, sisters , nieces , nephews. God children. . Friends, work colleagues, neighbors, sister and brothers in law, in laws parents.

She 'ran' from the Australian Taxation office, from Medicare, from any doctor in the entire nation. She never got ill, or went on the pill, or even got a toothache. She had miraculous unbroken perfect health. She never did get a drivers licence, she never bought another property, she never had the gas or electricity turned on at any place she ever lived in.

Or water. She never had water connected to any place she lived in either.

He murdered her and he couldn't even think up a decent story.
Of course if she was a nurse, she would have had tax taken out of pay which would have been reported to the ATO, even if she didn't complete a tax return.

Of course if she was a nurse, she would have had tax taken out of pay which would have been reported to the ATO, even if she didn't complete a tax return.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the next hypothetical scenario is going to be that Lyn had probably changed her name. So she could live close by with her religious group, and ignore all of her family and her children.
And that will be why there are no records of her anywhere.

I think Dawson's lawyer is trying to put reasonable doubt out there, prior to the trial. In the hope that he can influence people, even though any jury is 'supposed' to disregard anything heard pre-trial.

If what he is doing is not breaching sub judice, it certainly seems unethical, to me. But perhaps he was chosen for that reason, after all his client has been said to be totally unethical when a school teacher.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, I would guess that the next hypothetical scenario is going to be that Lyn had probably changed her name. So she could live close by with her religious group, and ignore all of her family and her children.
And that will be why there are no records of her anywhere.

I think Dawson's lawyer is trying to put reasonable doubt out there, prior to the trial. In the hope that he can influence people, even though any jury is 'supposed' to disregard anything heard pre-trial.

If what he is doing is not breaching sub judice, it certainly seems unethical, to me. But perhaps he was chosen for that reason, after all his client has been said to be totally unethical when a school teacher.
If Lyn changed her name legally, I think there would be records. If she changed her name informally, she would still have had to use her old name with government organizations etc. So the evidence that she is dead would not be weakened by the hypothesis that she changed her name IMO.

If Lyn changed her name legally, I think there would be records. If she changed her name informally, she would still have had to use her old name with government organizations etc. So the evidence that she is dead would not be weakened by the hypothesis that she changed her name IMO.

Yes. Lyn didn't change her name.
My statement was merely indicating that could be the next seed of doubt that they try to plant. Because I highly doubt that Lyn's name is going to be found among the hospital staff at the time of the 'sightings'.

While a jury is to disregard anything they hear about a case, prior to the trial, there is no way that some things wont affect some jury members imo ... even subconciously.

Yes. Lyn didn't change her name.
My statement was merely indicating that could be the next seed of doubt that they try to plant. Because I highly doubt that Lyn's name is going to be found among the hospital staff at the time of the 'sightings'.

While a jury is to disregard anything they hear about a case, prior to the trial, there is no way that some things wont affect some jury members imo ... even subconciously.
I don't suppose anyone here is sympathetic to the theory that Lyn is alive. The risk for the defence of putting easily demolished arguments is that the public and the jury decide they're full of you-know-what and stop listening.

If Lyn was actually alive, I'd be curious as to why Chris and family haven't attempted to find her, especially after several so called sighting. All the recent publicity would be an ideal time to put out an appeal to find her and get back in touch, if not for only proving his innocence. Why is there no interest in finding her? IMO, from the get go, he has seemed confident she was never coming back.

If Lyn was actually alive, I'd be curious as to why Chris and family haven't attempted to find her, especially after several so called sighting. All the recent publicity would be an ideal time to put out an appeal to find her and get back in touch, if not for only proving his innocence. Why is there no interest in finding her? IMO, from the get go, he has seemed confident she was never coming back.

So confident that he moved his 16 yr old student girlfriend right into his and Lynn's bedroom on the MONDAY after Lynn's disappearance on the Saturday morning.

Only someone who actually knew precisely and exactly where Lynn was and knew precisely and exactly why it would be absolutely safe and sound to move the girlfriend into the bedroom would do that. The killer.

And where was Lynn going to 'come back' to? with Joanne ensconced in Lynn's bedroom , her whole house, actually, where exactly was Lynn supposed to return to? the shed?? . the garage ? what? Where was Joanne going to be shifted to if Lynn came back and set up a bit of a fuss, a bit stroppy about Joanna's grip on the whole household? .. .

Chris never mentions this aspect.

So confident that he moved his 16 yr old student girlfriend right into his and Lynn's bedroom on the MONDAY after Lynn's disappearance on the Saturday morning.

Only someone who actually knew precisely and exactly where Lynn was and knew precisely and exactly why it would be absolutely safe and sound to move the girlfriend into the bedroom would do that. The killer.

And where was Lynn going to 'come back' to? with Joanne ensconced in Lynn's bedroom , her whole house, actually, where exactly was Lynn supposed to return to? the shed?? . the garage ? what? Where was Joanne going to be shifted to if Lynn came back and set up a bit of a fuss, a bit stroppy about Joanna's grip on the whole household? .. .

it really is an enormous elephant in the room troop isn't it :confused:

IIRC Joanne was even given Lyn's rings to wear. No expectation of Lyn returning imo. Not even a hope.

"Oh Joanne, Lyn is back. Can you please take her rings off and give them to her?"

it really is an enormous elephant in the room troop isn't it :confused:
an entire herd, K-Mac.

It seems to me to all the brothers, Chris, Paul, Peter, all were utterly confident and prepared with the 'running away' story, well, Peter had a MIL who did the same thing , an incredible coincidence. You wouldn't believe it, ey?....

Chris throwing in the dead rabbit of the bloke with the religious angle was the sign of an over confident man, particularly had the police looked for this bloke visiting other lonely housewives in the area. ..

They got away with it..

an entire herd, K-Mac.

It seems to me to all the brothers, Chris, Paul, Peter, all were utterly confident and prepared with the 'running away' story, well, Peter had a MIL who did the same thing , an incredible coincidence. You wouldn't believe it, ey?....

Chris throwing in the dead rabbit of the bloke with the religious angle was the sign of an over confident man, particularly had the police looked for this bloke visiting other lonely housewives in the area. ..

They got away with it..
The MIL had actually left the family home before going missing and just wasn't at the boarding house she was staying at when visited. She would have taken clothes and rings. Choice all the way. There was those phone calls of course ... that only Chris heard. The amazing thing with all these mystery sightings of Lyn, Chris was still the last person to allegedly speak to her post disappearance.

REVEALED: A relative of Chris Dawson disappeared 22 years before his wife Lynette - and his lawyer claims the eerie coincidence proves 'these things do happen'

Last edited:
I think the question is, now that the Dawson team is finally aware that Lyn had "run away" to Curl Curl.... shouldn't they be doing their own investigation to look for her or at least her presence around Curl Curl at that time? That would be essential to Chris's claim of innocence.

Surely they can't rely on the evil police to follow up for them?

I think the question is, now that the Dawson team is finally aware that Lyn had "run away" to Curl Curl.... shouldn't they be doing their own investigation to look for her or at least her presence around Curl Curl at that time? That would be essential to Chris's claim of innocence.

Surely they can't rely on the evil police to follow up for them?

Unfortunately, all the defence has to do is put reasonable doubt in two jury members heads and that's it. Dawson walks on the murder charge.
Positive proof is not necessarily required, depending on the headspace of each and every jury member.
And, quite honestly, it seems to me that the defence are trying to stir reasonable doubt already, prior to the trial.

NSW now can use a majority decision in all of their serious-crime jury trials.

Section 55F of the Jury Act now allows for ‘majority verdicts’ in the following circumstances:
  • Where a unanimous verdict has not been reached after the jurors have deliberated for a period of at least 8 hours, and the court considers that reasonable time has been given considering the nature and complexity of the case, and
  • The court is satisfied after questioning one or more of the jurors on oath that it is unlikely a unanimous verdict will be reached.
‘Majority verdict’ is defined as:
  • a verdict agreed to by 11 jurors where the jury consists of 12 persons, or
  • a verdict agreed to by 10 jurors where the jury consists of 11 persons.
The judge is not to advise the jury of its ability to return a majority verdict before determining that a unanimous verdict is unlikely to be reached.
Majority Verdicts in New South Wales

Last edited:

I love your thinking Troops.

Cops are investigating the statements of an elderly couple who believe that they saw Lyn Dawson in a Northern Beaches private hospital in 1984, two years after she was first reported missing, 7 News reports.

Channel Seven reporter Chris Reason read from the police statements of two “highly credible” witnesses, each now aged 73, the Dawsons’ former neighbours, who say they spotted Lyn at the Rock Castle Private Hospital – now South Pacific Private in Curl Curl – in 1984.

The man had, according to the statement, seen Lyn when he was recovering from a medical procedure. “Lyn Dawson walked in,” Reason said, “They saw each other, they recognised each other, she quickly left.”

The statement directly references Lyn’s “height, physique, hair colour and style of glasses“.

The woman says she also saw Lyn Dawson at the facility’s nurse’s station when she was visiting her husband. The pair say they did not know that she had been reported missing
Cops Are Investigating Elderly Couple's Claim They Spotted Lyn Dawson In 1984
7NEWS Sydney on Twitter

Cops are investigating the statements of an elderly couple who believe that they saw Lyn Dawson in a Northern Beaches private hospital in 1984, two years after she was first reported missing, 7 News reports.

Channel Seven reporter Chris Reason read from the police statements of two “highly credible” witnesses, each now aged 73, the Dawsons’ former neighbours, who say they spotted Lyn at the Rock Castle Private Hospital – now South Pacific Private in Curl Curl – in 1984.
Perhaps when Chris rang RNSH (Royal North Shore Hospital) he could have rang other hospitals in the area.

I can understand someone under medication in hospital not getting out of bed to say hello perhaps even thinking they recognise someone. I can also understand a nurse nodding in acknowledgement even if they didn't know a person.

I think it's amazing 2 neighbours that obviously haven't seen her for 2 years (because they didn't know she was missing) didn't even say hello. They must have been close.

It would be lovely it they truly saw Lyn Dawson, but the sighting account is not very credible. I don't doubt that they saw someone who looked like Lyn, but if the woman truly was Lyn, there would have been colleagues who would also have recognised her and who knew that she was missing.

In addition, she would have needed her nursing licenses in order to apply for the job. Had she made a name change, the College of Nurses would have a record of such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks