Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE has known the autopsy results for a long time. I wonder if MH did have a terminal illness, (or any disease), would LE have made that public knowledge? They haven't said one way or another.

LE has known the autopsy results for a long time. I wonder if MH did have a terminal illness, (or any disease), would LE have made that public knowledge? They haven't said one way or another.

I recently listened to the Collier Country podcast on the case (from February 2019) and the detective stated the MH's DNA was submitted for testing, pending results which is anywhere from 6 months to 1 year, and may be able to tell them what he died of. That indicates the autopsy did not reveal anything–externally, internally, or by toxicology results. So even with the latter, I'm sure if he ate something poisonous in plant form, it would have been discovered. I'm wondering if his death was neurologically terminal, something that might have been undetected in the autopsy procedure. Either that or a specific identification of a genetic mutation that lead to his death.

Such an odd case. I keep recalling the Oregon hunters who died from boiling water for coffee- unknowingly with a newt/salamander in the pot. The tetrodotoxin killed them. I really wonder if it was something like that. Chemical paralysis could cause starvation. And there’s a zillion reptiles, amphibians, native & invasive down in that neck of the woods. And no animal- feral pig, bobcat, panther, gator, croc, raccoon, possum, armadillo... nibbled on the body? Why not? Have to wonder!

I’ve trekked the AT, Big Cypress, Everglades. There’s a sort of unspoken kinship with hikers. Really want to get this man’s remains back to someone on this earth who will feel his loss deeply. There’s just got to be someone.

Such an odd case. I keep recalling the Oregon hunters who died from boiling water for coffee- unknowingly with a newt/salamander in the pot. The tetrodotoxin killed them. I really wonder if it was something like that. Chemical paralysis could cause starvation. And there’s a zillion reptiles, amphibians, native & invasive down in that neck of the woods. And no animal- feral pig, bobcat, panther, gator, croc, raccoon, possum, armadillo... nibbled on the body? Why not? Have to wonder!

I’ve trekked the AT, Big Cypress, Everglades. There’s a sort of unspoken kinship with hikers. Really want to get this man’s remains back to someone on this earth who will feel his loss deeply. There’s just got to be someone.

Some kind of paralysis from a toxin leading to starvation might be a good guess! He was sitting upright in his closed tent with his eyes wide open when found. He was found pretty soon after death (within a couple days) so perhaps the predators had not had a chance to eat through his tent in order to get to his body. MOO.

Some kind of paralysis from a toxin leading to starvation might be a good guess! He was sitting upright in his closed tent with his eyes wide open when found. He was found pretty soon after death (within a couple days) so perhaps the predators had not had a chance to eat through his tent in order to get to his body. MOO.
In FL, I think the odor would have set in rapidly? It’s hot even in winter. And I just remembered the vultures... That part of the US has an INSANE population of vultures. When you park in Everglades, there are ENORMOUS signs EVERYWHERE to cover all rubber parts on your vehicle- even if only running in to a Visitor Center for a souvenir stamp. They provide tarps in large tubs free of charge for this purpose. You cover your mirrors, tires, windshield wiper blades, window seals, etc. They will eat/strip the rubber on your car in an hour. Just the vultures alone would have honed in on that tent & shredded their way in. MOO. Then there’s the giant invasive pythons, boas & anacondas. It’s not a place for the faint of heart. Why didn’t those creatures take advantage of that?
Visitors and Vultures: Protect Your Vehicle - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

In FL, I think the odor would have set in rapidly? It’s hot even in winter. And I just remembered the vultures... That part of the US has an INSANE population of vultures. When you park in Everglades, there are ENORMOUS signs EVERYWHERE to cover all rubber parts on your vehicle- even if only running in to a Visitor Center for a souvenir stamp. They provide tarps in large tubs free of charge for this purpose. You cover your mirrors, tires, windshield wiper blades, window seals, etc. They will eat/strip the rubber on your car in an hour. Just the vultures alone would have honed in on that tent & shredded their way in. MOO. Then there’s the giant invasive pythons, boas & anacondas. It’s not a place for the faint of heart. Why didn’t those creatures take advantage of that?
Visitors and Vultures: Protect Your Vehicle - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I don't know, but I'm thankful he was so well preserved when found. The temps were in the upper 80's to low 90's which would have made decomp very rapid had he not been found when he was: Weather in July 2018 in Everglades City, Florida, USA

MOO.

It truly is an odd and unusual case. MH's life, trek, death, and how no one has come forward in recognizing him, his identity, let alone has submitted a missing person report on him. Whether he was on the run personally, or as a fugitive, he couldn't have always been living off the grid. He must have an online presence somewhere at least. Maybe not his own via social media, but through activities with others, such as work, college, social activities, hobbies and interests. Hiking is a good example of that. If you really look at it, he was hiding in plain sight–in life and now in death, and possibly online and no one has discovered it yet. But honestly, his family and friends probably don't know he's passed on. I, myself, had never heard about this case until a month ago on Facebook. I never saw or read anything about it on the news. Perhaps because the latter part of his life dealt with hiking and the hiking community. I'm on the West Coast, USA, so I am very surprised that such a long time had gone by without myself learning about this case sooner, especially being a Websleuther all these years.

The Collier County Sheriff's Podcast revealed a lot questions from information that was collected from hiking witnesses who interacted with MH, who stated a history with an abusive father or father-figure. MH also mentioned he had 2-3 large hard drives back home with movies, games, and Doctor Who media. Question is, did he live alone? Or did he sell all his things around the time he supposedly quit his job? Also, the detective also mentioned (in podcast episode #3) that MH is a person of interest in a crime in Florida. That info had been provided as a tip. And the detective states that they can't rule him out as a suspect. Anyone know that particular crime that was committed?

Also, what happened to his backpack?! It's not on the listed items of inventory when he was found deceased. Have any hikers looked for it along the trail before reaching Big Cypress Preserve?

As far as his death is concerned. I have no idea what the cause was, nor does LE. Perhaps it was starvation and dehydration combined.

But so far, after reading up and gaining some insight on the case, some that thoughts that come to mind are:

• He was between 40-60 years of age. Possibly 45 at least. He could have been much older with a younger appearance too.
  • He could be from the NYC area. But that could have been a decoy. He could have been from the U.S. West Coast or Canada.
  • He was mixed-multiracial, half-African American ancestry from a 1-6th great-grandparent.
  • It's possible he was once overweight before he began hiking. And he might not be recognizable to family, friends and former co-workers from his photos with weight loss and a beard.
  • It's possible he came from an affluent family and decided to part ways with them and such a lifestyle. He could have been deemed as a black sheep or an outcast amongst them.
  • He could have a criminal record. And his family or friends know what it entails and will not come forward to identify him because they, themselves, feel shamed. Or they could have been involved too.
  • He mentioned he had a sister in FL and was going to see or stay with her. Where is the sister and why hasn't she come forward? Perhaps another decoy of information.
  • Using the alias of "Bill" could mean his real first name is William, or perhaps his middle name too. Variations could be Will, Willy, Willie, and Billy.

Can you post the link for this:

He was mixed-multiracial, half-African American ancestry from a 1-6th great-grandparent.

Intriguing to a genealogist. What does the 1/6th mean, we have 4 grandparents and 8 great-grandparents. How does "half" fit with 1/6, or 1/4 or 1/8th?

Curious, and my genealogy skills far outpace my hiking&camping skills.

It truly is an odd and unusual case. MH's life, trek, death, and how no one has come forward in recognizing him, his identity, let alone has submitted a missing person report on him. Whether he was on the run personally, or as a fugitive, he couldn't have always been living off the grid. He must have an online presence somewhere at least. Maybe not his own via social media, but through activities with others, such as work, college, social activities, hobbies and interests. Hiking is a good example of that. If you really look at it, he was hiding in plain sight–in life and now in death, and possibly online and no one has discovered it yet. But honestly, his family and friends probably don't know he's passed on. I, myself, had never heard about this case until a month ago on Facebook. I never saw or read anything about it on the news. Perhaps because the latter part of his life dealt with hiking and the hiking community. I'm on the West Coast, USA, so I am very surprised that such a long time had gone by without myself learning about this case sooner, especially being a Websleuther all these years.

The Collier County Sheriff's Podcast revealed a lot questions from information that was collected from hiking witnesses who interacted with MH, who stated a history with an abusive father or father-figure. MH also mentioned he had 2-3 large hard drives back home with movies, games, and Doctor Who media. Question is, did he live alone? Or did he sell all his things around the time he supposedly quit his job? Also, the detective also mentioned (in podcast episode #3) that MH is a person of interest in a crime in Florida. That info had been provided as a tip. And the detective states that they can't rule him out as a suspect. Anyone know that particular crime that was committed?

Also, what happened to his backpack?! It's not on the listed items of inventory when he was found deceased. Have any hikers looked for it along the trail before reaching Big Cypress Preserve?

As far as his death is concerned. I have no idea what the cause was, nor does LE. Perhaps it was starvation and dehydration combined.

But so far, after reading up and gaining some insight on the case, some that thoughts that come to mind are:

• He was between 40-60 years of age. Possibly 45 at least. He could have been much older with a younger appearance too.
  • He could be from the NYC area. But that could have been a decoy. He could have been from the U.S. West Coast or Canada.
  • He was mixed-multiracial, half-African American ancestry from a 1-6th great-grandparent.
  • It's possible he was once overweight before he began hiking. And he might not be recognizable to family, friends and former co-workers from his photos with weight loss and a beard.
  • It's possible he came from an affluent family and decided to part ways with them and such a lifestyle. He could have been deemed as a black sheep or an outcast amongst them.
  • He could have a criminal record. And his family or friends know what it entails and will not come forward to identify him because they, themselves, feel shamed. Or they could have been involved too.
  • He mentioned he had a sister in FL and was going to see or stay with her. Where is the sister and why hasn't she come forward? Perhaps another decoy of information.
  • Using the alias of "Bill" could mean his real first name is William, or perhaps his middle name too. Variations could be Will, Willy, Willie, and Billy.

I don't recall them saying "He was mixed-multiracial, half-African American ancestry from a 1-6th great-grandparent." Is that new info? Last I saw they didn't have his DNA back yet and they usually don't do an ancestry type of DNA test at UNT. The tests for NAMUS databases are not as specific as the ones used by DNA Doe Project or Parabon.

Also, his alias was "Ben Bilemy" not Bill.

On the backpack-- a member here had contact with the investigator who confirmed they have his backpack and all its contents. It simply was not put in the info on NAMUS. The podcast revealed that his backpack contained 1000's of dollars in cash and a notebook in which he wrote computer coding language for a computer game he made up and recipes for granola bars he wanted to invent.

If the man were born overseas or vacationing from another country (doubtful considering he had no discernible accent), are there any multi-national databases to search from? Seems really difficult. My only guess would be that he's from Canada.

If the man were born overseas or vacationing from another country (doubtful considering he had no discernible accent), are there any multi-national databases to search from? Seems really difficult. My only guess would be that he's from Canada.

The only one I can think of is Interpol.

That doesn't look like him to me. Denim has attached earlobes with multiple cartilage segments and that man's lobes are detached with no segmenting. The noses also are not a match IMO.
View attachment 191500 View attachment 191502

MOO.

I do wish we had more info on Wes so he could at least get a thread. I’m afraid he either hasn’t been reported or it’s not out there in the media.

Been thinking again about our hiker. I’ve been wondering about Lyme disease. Causes inflammation particularly in the knees, untreated it can be swiftly fatal and is almost undetectable in an autopsy unless you’re really looking for it. Many hikers don’t attribute the initial rash to a tick bite and don’t seek treatment.
LymeDisease.org - Advocating nationally for quality accessible healthcare for patients with Lyme disease
With unexpected death, autopsies should look for Lyme carditis
What might sudden cardiac death due to Lyme disease look like? - Daniel Cameron, MD, MPH

I’ve seen several AT hikers in the area lately. I can’t help but think about our guy.
Reading the posts I just had a thought.....it is summer, all the farmers markets are open in NYC. I wonder if there is a way to get his photo posted at some of them?? There have to be a lot of summer events coming up in the city. Maybe we can find a way to get his info out??
I really, really, wish I had more time to put into it right now. Maybe we can put our heads together and come up with a list??

I just had another thought. I know a large number of farmers who do various local markets AND the NYC markets. My schedule is crazy right now with barely room to breath but maybe Sunday I can hit the local market and ask farmers to post his info at their NYC booths?? Union square is a big market that a lot of my local farmers do.
Anyone think it is worth a try??
Do we have a poster of MH with a good, actual photo of him?

In genealogy-speak, it means that the African ancestry is estimated to have come from a direct ancestor, the most recent being a great-grandparent (1x great but could have come great-great, great-great-great, great-great-great-great, great-great-great-great-great, or great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents (6x great). (When you type "great" that many times you start to think it looks strange and wonder if you're spelling it correctly anymore.) It other words, it's not very helpful information unless you're helping someone build a family tree. It's not likely to help us here.

Can you post the link for this:

He was mixed-multiracial, half-African American ancestry from a 1-6th great-grandparent.

Intriguing to a genealogist. What does the 1/6th mean, we have 4 grandparents and 8 great-grandparents. How does "half" fit with 1/6, or 1/4 or 1/8th?

Curious, and my genealogy skills far outpace my hiking&camping skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam