Found Deceased WA - Leif Vigeland, 36, Vancouver, 27 June 2019

chasizzler

Reaction score
Vancouver man missing, police seek help finding him

AMZ2CRJ4OZF37AUCNMDYM6ZTZM.jpeg

*modnote*/ froom the link

Leif Vigeland left his home in east Vancouver Thursday to train for a triathlon and has not been seen since, police said Saturday. They are seeking the public’s help in finding him.

Vigeland’s bicycle was found Saturday at Wintler Park on the Columbia River in Vancouver. But Veigland, 36, has not been found, the agency reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
His bike was found at Wintler Park which is right on the mighty Columbia River. I was trying to remember if we had thunder storms the day he went missing (27th) but I think it was the day before that we had them. I am hoping he didn't go into the river. I almost drowned in that river. I hope he is found safe and my thoughts/prayers are with him and his family.

I wonder what kind of shape his bike was in? Did it have damage, possibly from crashing? Or was it parked/left upright utilizing the kickstand?

I hope he’s okay but it’s been over three days now.

His bike was found at Wintler Park which is right on the mighty Columbia River. I was trying to remember if we had thunder storms the day he went missing (27th) but I think it was the day before that we had them. I am hoping he didn't go into the river.

Yeah, the thunderstorms were on Wednesday. It says he was training for a triathlon. Hopefully he wouldn't be swimming alone without telling anybody.

The facebook mentioned that he was last seen on Lieser Rd, which is pretty close to the park. I'm assuming he was seen riding the bike and it was left in the park from there? If he was seen walking or running on Lieser Rd it could mean that he went missing in a different area and already left the bike in the park.

Vancouver man missing, police seek help finding him Leif Vigeland left his home in east Vancouver Thursday to train for a triathlon and has not been seen since, police said Saturday.
Vigeland’s bicycle was found Saturday at Wintler Park on the Columbia River in Vancouver. But Veigland, 36, has not been found, the agency reported.

What events was he training for? Cycling, swimming and running? Because his bike was found on the river, it appears to me that he may have entered the river for the swimming portion of his triathlon practice.

ETA, On the Find Lief Vigeland fb page, his sister said that he was not trainingfor a triathalon. He was training for a marathon. The press made an error in their report.
Find Leif Vigeland

Last edited:
On the Find Lief Vigeland FB page, his sister posted a pic of his bike as it was found, leaning against a tree. She stated elsewhere that he did not have his phone, wallet, ID or biking helmet/shoes with him. He was supposed to take part in a half-marathon on Saturday 29th (two days after he disappeared).

IMO it looks like he went to the park for a run.

From the latest news article:

His brother, who's also his roommate, reportedly saw him in bed around 4 am Thursday, but when he woke, Vigeland and his bike were gone. The family assumed he went for a quick ride before leaving for his race. His sister, Krista Ernsdorf, planned to meet Vigeland Friday morning to drive down to Detroit Lake, but he never showed. That's when they filed a missing person's report.

Vancouver man disappears after morning ride, bike found

The flyer mentions 8:30am as the last sigthing, so someone other than his brother must have seen him that morning. Or maybe he was caught on camera? He lives abour a mile east of the park.

Last edited:
I'm worried about the river and his conditioning to swim in it. I grew up on the Columbia river. It has a very strong current and even in June, the water is still cold. His missing poster on FB has his build as " medium to heavy". If he was overweight, and attempting a cold water swim after a long bike ride, there is a chance he might have had a cardiac event, even at his young age.

I'm worried about the river and his conditioning to swim in it. I grew up on the Columbia river. It has a very strong current and even in June, the water is still cold. His missing poster on FB has his build as " medium to heavy". If he was overweight, and attempting a cold water swim after a long bike ride, there is a chance he might have had a cardiac event, even at his young age.
I don't think he was equipped for a long bike ride and he was only a mile away from home. He was wearing a t-shirt and shorts, leaving his bike helmet and bike shoes at home.

Edited to add: If he went for a swim, wouldn't he at least take off his footwear?

Last edited:
I don't think he was equipped for a long bike ride and he was only a mile away from home. He was wearing a t-shirt and shorts, leaving his bike helmet and bike shoes at home.

Edited to add: If he went for a swim, wouldn't he at least take off his footwear?
Good point - I was just thinking of the swim due to the thread stating he was "training for a triathlon".

Find Lief Vigeland FB account, run by his sister: Find Leif Vigeland

She has a little more info (FAQ) on her own FB account.
On the Find Lief Vigeland FB page, his sister posted a pic of his bike as it was found, leaning against a tree. She stated elsewhere that he did not have his phone, wallet, ID or biking helmet/shoes with him. He was supposed to take part in a half-marathon on Saturday 29th (two days after he disappeared).

IMO it looks like he went to the park for a run.

That's super odd. If he didn't have his helmet or cycling shoes, then it's most likely that he was never on his bike. Cycling shoes have cleats which click into a pedal and work as a unit. You'd never go cycling without your cleats. And it's the law in Vancouver that you have to wear a helmet. No serious athlete would be without one.

From the picture of his bike, you know that he's a serious biker. That's a high end bike. Those rims are at least $500 each.

Could someone have been attempting to steal his bike and he went after them?

Last edited:
I agree with musicaljoke...leaving on a bike in Vancouver without his helmet (at the very least) doesn't make sense to me at all. But if there is a sighting of him wearing a T shirt and shorts, it sounds like there must be a witness or video footage? His brother saw him in bed at 4:00 am so I am only guessing that isn't where they got the wearing a T and shorts info and that information came from the 8:30 am sighting (on Lieser Rd?). I might be getting a little confused at this point.

Good point - I was just thinking of the swim due to the thread stating he was "training for a triathlon".
That was corrected in thread above, his sister stated that he was training for a marathon. So it seems they believed he may have stopped at the park to run.

I haven't heard about any canines being used yet. Has anyone seen that information?

That was corrected in thread above, his sister stated that he was training for a marathon. So it seems they believed he may have stopped at the park to run.

But he would have had to push his bike to the park and then just leave it. He couldn't ride it w/o his cleats. But it wouldn't make sense to take the bike. Why wouldn't he run to the park?

Reactions: dub
But he would have had to push his bike to the park and then just leave it. He couldn't ride it w/o his cleats. But it wouldn't make sense to take the bike. Why wouldn't he run to the park?
Understand...good points. This doesn't make it any clearer here either.

Vancouver man missing since June 27

"Leif Vigeland, 36, was training for a half marathon in Sunriver that was scheduled for Saturday, according to family. Police say he left his home in east Vancouver on June 27 to go on a bike ride."

Understand...good points. This doesn't make it any clearer here either.

Vancouver man missing since June 27

"Leif Vigeland, 36, was training for a half marathon in Sunriver that was scheduled for Saturday, according to family. Police say he left his home in east Vancouver on June 27 to go on a bike ride."

Take this with a huge grain of salt because I'm the furthest thing from a marathon runner haha

But it actually makes sense to me to train on a bike two days before the run (race?) rather than running, particularly if he's a big dude. Like, theoretically it seems it would maintain your cardio and muscles without putting excessive strain on your knees/feet immediately before the run.

I can't emphasize enough I know nothing about training for these kind of things, so that might be completely wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back