Australia - Shandee Blackburn, 23, murdered, Mackay, Qld, 9 Feb 2013

February 2018:

‘She was afraid’: Family calls for inquest into brutal murder

Two and a half years after Shandee's death, Vicki found a chilling poem her daughter had written, which appeared to reference a woman's death.

The poem included the lines "Who will pick up the pieces after the deed is done/As she lies lifeless on the ground after the man has had his fun".

"I think it just solidified the fact that we need to get to the truth - we need to find out the truth," Vicki said.

The Queensland Coroner is yet to decide if there will be an inquest.

Shandee Blackburn's chilling poem before murder in Mackay | Daily Mail Online

Justice for Shandee Blackburn - Facebook Group

‘An inquest into the death of Shandee Blackburn, who was stabbed just metres from her Queensland home in 2013, will begin tomorrow.’

‘A two-week coroner's inquest will begin tomorrow with more than 50 witnesses scheduled to give evidence.’

‘The inquest will look at whether more CCTV and better lighting is needed in “high risk” areas and if late-night licensed venues should be responsible for transporting employees home from night shifts.’

Murdered woman's family hopeful inquest will provide answers

Inquest Into Brutal Murder Of Young Queensland Woman Begins
4063d800220a7ba6e34c86de0c22b8f5-480100.jpg

Shandee Blackburn. Photo: Facebook/ The RED HEART Campaign.

Rock superstars Kiss even played a rendition of "Shandi" in tribute to the young woman named after their song.

Shandee had bought tickets to their show in the north Queensland city before her death.

Now, more than six years on, the pursuit of justice for Shandee continues with a coronial inquest beginning on Monday.

The coroner is expected to hear from up to 50 witnesses over two weeks.

It comes after years of intense police investigations and a murder trial.

The state's corruption watchdog used special powers to bring on coercive hearings in a search for answers.

A previous partner of Shandee, John Peros, was acquitted after facing a 2017 murder trial over her death, and a $250,000 reward still stands for anyone with information which leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible.

‘Shandee Blackburn might not have been able to call for help before she died because her larynx had been sliced in the frenzied stabbing that killed her metres from her door.

Professor David Williams carried out the autopsy on Ms Blackburn after she was stabbed more than 20 times on her way home from work in 2013.

On Monday, he gave evidence by phone to an inquest into her death in Mackay on her way home from work.’

‘Taxi driver Jasprent Pandher, who saw two people fighting near where she died, also gave evidence.

He said he had seen a tall man running away across a park.

"It's like a shadow running ... for me ... it's like his hands are holding something," he told the first day of the inquest in the north Queensland city.’

‘Ms Blackburn's boyfriend in the months before her death, Arron Macklin, was the first witness on Monday, saying she had not appeared to be scared by anything at the time.’

Murder victim possibly 'unable to call for help after larynx sliced'

‘A coronial inquest into the killing of a north Queensland woman has explored a theory that the frenzied stabbing attack was the act of a stranger during a drug-fuelled robbery gone wrong.

Key points:
  • Levii Blackman has given conflicting evidence on William Daniel's alleged confession
  • Blackburn family lawyer Kristy Bell suggested Mr Blackman made up the allegation for attention
  • Mr Daniel told the inquest he had nothing to do with Ms Blackburn's killing’
Fatal stabbing of Shandee Blackburn possibly a robbery gone wrong, Mackay inquest told - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

‘A man found not guilty of murdering his former girlfriend Shandee Blackburn has told a coronial inquest he has a poor memory of the time but maintains he did not kill her.

Key points:
  • Today is the first time Mr Peros has spoken about his ex-girlfriend's death
  • He said he has trouble remembering how and when he heard she'd been killed
  • He told the inquest he and Ms Blackburn had a tumultuous relationship and used drugs together’
Shandee Blackburn's ex-boyfriend tells inquest he didn't kill her but his memory of the time is poor - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

All the evidence the ute everything seems to point to him. Even quoted in the article about a friend who had a party saying that JP hadn't got over Shandee and was quoted at one point as saying he wanted to hurt her.

Yes, I don't think a coroner makes their decision lightly. Considering the amount of 'open' decisions that are made.
If they think a 'known person' is responsible, I would think there is compelling evidence to a person who is in a position of law (as opposed to a jury).

IMO

Just started listening to the pod cast Shandee's story. As an Aussie i cant believe i didn't know about Shandee's horrific murder. I as so glad to have found this thread. What a devisatating blow to her loved one's to have no justice as yet. I'll be keeping a eye on this.

To me one of the most telling things is a statement by one of Shandee’s and JP’s friends, he mentioned that to stab someone 23 (?) times, it’s had a lot of hate and anger involved. A bungled robbery of her belongings wouldn’t involve that much. She was stabbed in the throat to possibly disable her ability to yell or scream.
Her ex had no doubt not got over the breakup and IMO a loss of control over her. Especially considering her new relationship was going well and she was on her way to being in a much better place in her life with him.
With an inquest reopening and the amount of new (or better DNA analysis) against the POI will be very telling. The car, the running style, the athleticism, the motive, will all come out

To me one of the most telling things is a statement by one of Shandee’s and JP’s friends, he mentioned that to stab someone 23 (?) times, it’s had a lot of hate and anger involved. A bungled robbery of her belongings wouldn’t involve that much. She was stabbed in the throat to possibly disable her ability to yell or scream.
Her ex had no doubt not got over the breakup and IMO a loss of control over her. Especially considering her new relationship was going well and she was on her way to being in a much better place in her life with him.
With an inquest reopening and the amount of new (or better DNA analysis) against the POI will be very telling. The car, the running style, the athleticism, the motive, will all come out
It's interesting she was stabbed 23 times and she was 23 at the time, wonder if the killer knew her age?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back