CONVICTION OVERTURNED MD - Hae Min Lee, 17, Baltimore, 13 Jan 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished watching episode three of "The Case Against Adnan Syed" (HBO Docuseries) and I continue to go back and forth as far as Adnan's guilt goes. With that said, episode three really highlighted for me the mess ups/mistakes in his trial that was done by both the prosecution and the defense. In particular, the cell phone records were all messed up by the state and for the expert to recant what he was testified to me is huge. The expert was not shown a cover letter from the phone company with directions on how to read the tower information. o_O
Also, they were discussing how DNA was never tested. At the end of the episode it looks like they will talk more about that on the next show.
Also, the way episode three highlighted Jay's plea agreement - that really stuck out too. He got a sweet deal for someone who admitted to helping bury a dead body. Listening to Jay's testimony and his recorded talks with police - he has a lot of inconsistencies and important ones imo.

Part of me still leans towards Adnan's guilt, however; I do believe he should be given a new trial. If the state is so confident they have the right man for this crime, retry him.
Now, even though I said all the above, when I look at the case overall, and not the pesky details of the inconsistencies I found in the investigation and the trial, I cannot think of anyone else who had the means/motive/opportunity to kill Hae Min Lee except for Adnan. I just think his first trial was not held to the standard it should have been.
(Hope this makes sense. I just finished watching episode 3, so my mind is still processing everything. This was my favorite episode so far.)

^^^jmo, moo, imo, etc^^^

Adnan Syed, who featured in Serial podcast, loses retrial bid

March 29, 2019

"Adnan Syed, who was convicted of murdering his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee in 1999 and whose story featured in the 2014 podcast Serial, has been told he will not now get a retrial.

The Court of Appeals of Maryland, the state‘s highest court, on Friday overruled an earlier decision.

Syed‘s lawyer, Justin Brown, said the case could now go to federal courts....

Syed had been granted a new trial in June 2016 but the state appealed against it. First the appeal was rejected but now it has been upheld....."

Adnan Syed, who featured in Serial podcast, loses retrial bid – Hanahan Herald

I've been watching the HBO series on Adnan's case. It seems like they are trying to make a case for his innocence or at least reasonable doubt, but in my opinion, it makes an even stronger case for his guilt than Serial did.

I think he's guilty and justice has been served. I see that he lost his recent bid for a new trial as well.

I just finished watching the new HBO Doc too..
I’ve followed the case a bit, listened to serial and rabias podcast. There are clear questions over the integrity of the investigation and maybe others should have been looked at but, I can’t say I have come across an alibi for Adnan other than Asia’s library one? Does anyone know what his alibi is if he didn’t do it? Like where was he from when school let out till say midnight that night, is it documented anywhere? Did anyone see him between these hours?

He said he was fixing his car with Dion in the school parking lot. Then he changed it to say he wasn’t doing that, instead he was at the school and went to track and then to the mosque. Not one person from the mosque stepped forward to say they had seen him that evening/night, even though this was one of the most popular nights in the Muslim faith to be at the mosque.

I've been watching the HBO series on Adnan's case. It seems like they are trying to make a case for his innocence or at least reasonable doubt, but in my opinion, it makes an even stronger case for his guilt than Serial did.

I think he's guilty and justice has been served. I see that he lost his recent bid for a new trial as well.
This is because he is guilty. The HBO doc’s executive producer is Rabia, so that should give you an indication of the bias behind the “documentary.” It is just another pro-innocence production, much like Making a Murderer, The Staircase and the recent Scott Peterson piece.

He said he was fixing his car with Dion in the school parking lot. Then he changed it to say he wasn’t doing that, instead he was at the school and went to track and then to the mosque. Not one person from the mosque stepped forward to say they had seen him that evening/night, even though this was one of the most popular nights in the Muslim faith to be at the mosque.
So he’s no solid alibi then? They seem to leave that part out a lot, they go on and on about Don not having a solid alibi but conveniently they don’t highlight the fact Adnan doesn’t have one either... hmmm..

This is because he is guilty. The HBO doc’s executive producer is Rabia, so that should give you an indication of the bias behind the “documentary.” It is just another pro-innocence production, much like Making a Murderer, The Staircase and the recent Scott Peterson piece.
Yip, total bias, the fact Amy Berg is involved as well says it all.. need I mention West of Memphis. She’s seems to have a habit of trying to free guilty people!

So he’s no solid alibi then? They seem to leave that part out a lot, they go on and on about Don not having a solid alibi but conveniently they don’t highlight the fact Adnan doesn’t have one either... hmmm..

Wasn't that one of the points for the re-trial though? There was a girl who said she saw him in the library in the afternoon. She wasn't called by Adnan's defence as a potential alibi for him but if she is telling the truth, then he would have had an alibi

'Serial' Witness Asia McClain on the Last Time She Saw Adnan Syed

Wasn't that one of the points for the re-trial though? There was a girl who said she saw him in the library in the afternoon. She wasn't called by Adnan's defence as a potential alibi for him but if she is telling the truth, then he would have had an alibi

'Serial' Witness Asia McClain on the Last Time She Saw Adnan Syed
But how long was he in the library for? My point is where was he from the whole time school let out until midnight that night, he wasn’t in the library the whole time, who else saw him in that time frame, where did he go after the library if he was in fact there?? there was talk of sports practice and fixing his car, I believe that was 2 stories he told. Asia said she had a 20 min convo with him in the library, let’s say that’s true.. can the exact time be corroborated? Could she have been off by some time or by days? If not, where was he the rest of the afternoon and evening? Did anyone else see him?

Adnan Syed, of 'Serial' podcast, asks Maryland high court to reconsider decision refusing him a new trial

April 8, 2019

"The defense attorney for Adnan Syed has asked Maryland’s highest court to reconsider its decision to reject a new trial for the prisoner featured in the “Serial” podcast.

The Maryland Court of Appeals decided last month that Syed should not receive a new trial for the 1999 murder of his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee. His attorney, C. Justin Brown, asked the court Monday to reconsider, arguing the judges’ decision puts them at odds with courts around the country...

He filed a motion for reconsideration Monday, arguing that judges in other states have found defendants to be unfairly prejudiced when their attorneys neglect to call an alibi witness...

He also argued that the Court of Appeals made a mistaken by not following the trial facts. In an interview with The Baltimore Sun, Brown said he wants a chance to to further argue the matters....

The Court of Appeals is scheduled to meet next April 18. The seven-judge panel rarely grants reconsideration."

Adnan Syed, of 'Serial' podcast, asks Maryland high court to reconsider decision refusing him a new trial

I just finished the "Serial" podcast and can't seem to find any information about Adnon Syed or Hae Min Lee anywhere on Websleuths. Wondering if I'm missing something or not searching correctly. Or is it possible that there is not information to find on here? Very interested in this case. Thanks so much.
Sandi

I'm horrible, just realized I was spelling his name wrong ;). Disregard my post.

When Haes brother was on the stand, he said he called who he thought was her new bf Don. The person who answered said that they were Adnan. Was that even mentioned on the phone records?

Another thing that stood out was this all happened after Hae told a few people about her being sexually assaulted by a family member.

After seeing them write all of Jays charges on a board and saying that he was never convicted of majority of them, my first thought was he was being used as a C.I (i dont know of anyone who assaulted a police officer and didnt get charged)

Adnan did have an alibi for being at the mosque and who was willing to testify. There’s a whole other level of questionable doings by the authorities surrounding that.

Also, I just want to say Serial is the worst source of info on this case. It’s not even worth listening to if you’re looking for solid facts.

Lawyers for a Maryland man whose murder conviction was chronicled in the hit podcast “Serial” are asking the Supreme Court to step into the case.

Lawyers for defendant Adnan Syed say in court papers Monday that the justices should order a new trial for Syed and reverse a Maryland court ruling against him. Syed claims his trial lawyer violated his constitutional right to competent representation because she failed to investigate an alibi witness.
Supreme Court asked to take up ‘Serial’ podcast murder case | WTOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member