Identified! OK - Beckham Co, LIVING Male Toddler, May be named "Angel Damein Guzman" 22 Feb 2019

The story made MSM:

ERICK, Okla. —

Authorities are asking for the public's help identifying a child who was found in late February in Beckham County.

Although he was found about five months ago in the town of Erick, Oklahoma, authorities do not know his name and no one has claimed him or have reported him missing. He has blonde hair and brown eyes, weighs 35 to 40 pounds and is between 2 feet, 10 inches tall and 3 feet, 2 inches tall, officials said.

Authorities need help identifying child found in February in Beckham County

Why are they just now asking for help identifying him? I also don't understand why they can't get an accurate height and weight on him and are just giving a range. Surely since February he has been checked out by a Dr. and an exact height and weight could have been taken as well as any identifying characteristics like birth marks, scars, if he's verbal, if he's potty trained.

Beckham County Sheriff’s Office

There’s a link to the post referenced earlier by the Beckham County Sheriff’s Office. There are also comments that may shed some light.

Thank you! I knew someone would be able to figure out what I couldn’t! ;)
This just left me with more questions and makes the whole thing more bizarre! JMOO

•MMcG•

From the Sheriff’s office FB post, it sounds like he is with a family, but they are questioning his identity. One person commented that they believe his mother is in jail. This is confusing at best. I do wonder why they are questioning whether the “mother in jail” is really his mom. The sheriff’s office says this is in regards to another investigation as well. Strange...

My theory after reading the comments on the Sheriff's page is that the Mom gave her child to someone temporarily say while she was in jail but didn't have guardianship papers drawn up. So then the person she gave unofficial custody to took the child somewhere in February where he was on video which is where the picture of him came from, to either receive benefits for the child by adding them to their household either to get WIC or food stamps or tried to take the child to the Dr. and it was discovered the child was not theirs and they didn't have any guardianship paperwork. Maybe they were unwilling to cooperate and tell what was really going on so Sheriff finally asks for public's help identifying him.

He reminds me of baby Deorr but I think he is too young. Deorr Kunz would be around 6 years old if still alive and I doubt he is alive. MOO. Latest reports are they detected some remains where he disappeared:
Investigator: Cadaver dogs alert on human remains at campground where DeOrr Kunz Jr. disappeared

ID - DeOrr Kunz, Jr., 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #31

MOO.

Based on the BCS fb page posting, I am concluding that the weight and height are probably estimates based on a report from an authority who visited the home (CPS, police officer?) during an unrelated investigation, who suspected that the child did not belong there. The height could be significantly off and the child could possibly be a small 6 year old (he is obviously not an infant, if the picture is correct). The most recent update regarding the search for DeOrr says that they have reopened the park and have nothing further to report at this time. While that could mean they found something and aren't disclosing due to the ongoing investigation, they also advised that they do not expect to have any updates "anytime soon" - so it sounds less likely that they found anything related to their investigation during the search ('We're not done by any means:' Campground linked to missing DeOrr Kunz Jr. reopens after search).

I think that all of the circumstances do make DeOrr an unlikely candidate, but it can't hurt anything to submit him for exclusion either, imo. The resemblance is enough that I would want the possibility ruled out if it were my loved one.

what%20happened%20to%20deorr%20kunz%20jr.jpg

17IXW3.So.36.jpeg

unidentified-child-1562025552.jpg

From the Sheriff’s office FB post, it sounds like he is with a family, but they are questioning his identity. One person commented that they believe his mother is in jail. This is confusing at best. I do wonder why they are questioning whether the “mother in jail” is really his mom. The sheriff’s office says this is in regards to another investigation as well. Strange...
VERY confusing! I think the person who initiated the comments inferring he was safe and it was all a mistake made the entire situation worse. The overly defensive and vague claims by that person only confirm, for me, this isn’t just a false alarm.

JMOO

•MMcG•

My theory after reading the comments on the Sheriff's page is that the Mom gave her child to someone temporarily say while she was in jail but didn't have guardianship papers drawn up. So then the person she gave unofficial custody to took the child somewhere in February where he was on video which is where the picture of him came from, to either receive benefits for the child by adding them to their household either to get WIC or food stamps or tried to take the child to the Dr. and it was discovered the child was not theirs and they didn't have any guardianship paperwork. Maybe they were unwilling to cooperate and tell what was really going on so Sheriff finally asks for public's help identifying him.

I agree! I think the ‘separate investigation’ they are referring to was probably DHS related!

weighs 35 to 40 pounds and is between 2 feet, 10 inches tall and 3 feet, 2 inches tall, officials said....
This could be in the low end range of a 6 year old. He could totally be DeOrr.

Beckham County Sheriff's Office finds documents confirming boy's identity

Beckham County Sheriff's Office finds documents confirming boy's identity

Don't know what is going on here -- haven't read the Sheriff's Office Facebook yet.

JMHO YMMV

From the link:

ERICK, Okla. —

Beckham County Sheriff's Office officials said Tuesday that they found documents that confirm the identity of a young boy who was entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.

The documents show that the boy is in custody with a person who has been given responsibility and care for the child, according to Sheriff Derek Manning.

"It is a rather convoluted set of circumstances, but this 3-year-old is being cared for in a safe place," Manning said, "and we are satisfied that the circumstances through which he came to be with this family are legitimate."

From the link:

ERICK, Okla. —

Beckham County Sheriff's Office officials said Tuesday that they found documents that confirm the identity of a young boy who was entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System.

The documents show that the boy is in custody with a person who has been given responsibility and care for the child, according to Sheriff Derek Manning.

"It is a rather convoluted set of circumstances, but this 3-year-old is being cared for in a safe place," Manning said, "and we are satisfied that the circumstances through which he came to be with this family are legitimate."

I would steer clear of FB if I were y’all...it’s the usual hysteria.

For those who weren’t able to see, this the initial update posted by BCSO and apparently the latest anyone has seen.

THANK YOU FOR LINKING THE MOST RECENT!!

“SHERIFF SAYS SOME REPORTS OF UNIDENTIFIED JUVENILE MAY BE MISLEADING

Monday, July 1, 2019
11:26 pm

Beckham County Sheriff Derek Manning said this evening that his office is investigating a case of a juvenile whose identity is in question, but the youth is not in danger, and the public should not be worried for his safety.

“Some reports came out earlier today - reports which were not released by our office - regarding a NAMUS entry that one of our deputies made regarding a juvenile we have recently come in contact with as a result of a different investigation,” Manning said.
“While we do have some questions regarding the juvenile’s true identity and how he came to be with the current family he is living with, we have no reason to believe that he is in any immediate danger.”

Sheriff Manning said DHS is aware of the situation and they are working with Beckham County detectives on the matter.

“There may be nothing nefarious about the situation at all,” Manning said. “There are simply some discrepancies that caught the attention of our detectives, and we are looking further into it.”

“While I dislike being this vague about the information surrounding the case, and I know the lack of further information may be dissatisfying to some people, our ultimate goal is to protect this juvenile,” Manning said. “I can only stress that the child is being cared for and does not appear to be in any sort of dangerous situation.””

POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO ON BCSO OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE:

“UPDATE ON UNIDENTIFIED CHILD

After speaking to Jennifer Smith, the woman who is caring for the child, we have the following information that we can release to the public.

The juvenile is currently 3 years old. When the child was 3 days old, his biological mother left him at the hospital and walked out. The hospital contacted the emergency contact which was the boys grandmother. The grandmother retained legal gaurdianship of the child.

At 3 months old the child's grandmother/guardian was incarcerated and signed court legal guardianship to Jamie Bernnet.

Fast forward to November 2018, Jamie Bernnet was also incarcerated and asked Jennifer Smith to take him in. Legal gaurdianship was not granted nor requested.

Soon after taking the child in Smith went to the DHS Office in Beckham County. She applied for, and was granted Sooner Care and EBT Benefits. DHS accepted the Power of Attorney given to them by Smith.

Everything seemed fine until Feb 2019. At that time Smith filed a report with the Beckham County Sheriffs Office in regards to a non related case. Upon investigating the other case, Deputy Hickey and DHS questioned the validity of her gaurdianship of the child. Smith provided them with the Power of Attorney as well as his birth certificate and social security card. And that was the last time she spoke with Deputy Hickey.

Up until yesterday Smith thought everything was fine, until a friend informed her of the child being listed on NAMUS. At that time Jennifer Smith contacted the BCSO and had a meeting today with Sheriff Manning, Undersheriff Wilson, and District Attorney Gina Webb. Deputy Hickey was not at the meeting.

Jennifer Smith told us Sheriff Manning was apologetic and assured her that he would help clear her name. District Attorney Gina Webb also agreed to help her establish legal gaurdianship.

Sheriff Manning would not confirm to Jennifer Smith how the information got to this the NAMUS site; but did say the information should not have been on the website. Our team contacted NAMUS and they assured us they received the information from the Beckham County Sheriffs Office.

Today just after 2pm, the Beckham County Sheriff's Office released the following statement:

CHILD CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED AND IN APPROPRIATE CUSTODY

July 2nd, 2019
2:37 pm

The Beckham County Sheriff’s Office said this morning that they had located documents which confirmed the correct identity of a juvenile earlier entered in NAMUS. Sheriff Derek Manning said the documentation shows that the child is currently in the custody of a person who has been given responsibility to care for the child.

“It is a rather convoluted set of circumstances, but this three-year-old is being cared for in a safe place, and we are satisfied that the circumstances through which he came to be with this family are legitimate,” Manning said.”

ETA: Some of this was posted on the “Beckham County Current” as well FWIW

Last edited:
So Mom walked out on him in the hospital when he was 3 days old. Grandma got guardianship, until she was jailed when he was 3 months old. The next person to have custody was also later incarcerated meaning that he's on his 4th guardian in his 3 short years of life??? I hope this home provides some stability for this poor child. :(:(

So Mom walked out on him in the hospital when he was 3 days old. Grandma got guardianship, until she was jailed when he was 3 months old. The next person to have custody was also later incarcerated meaning that he's on his 4th guardian in his 3 short years of life??? I hope this home provides some stability for this poor child. :(:(

Ugh, I know. Poor little love. And I feel awful for the current guardian. It sounds highly suspect that they suddenly put him on NAMUS after questioning her. I mean I'm pretty sure all those details and report did not get there accidentally. It should be addressed and not swept under the rug.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back