GUILTY UK - Lexi Draper, 3, & Scarlett Vaughan, 16 mos, murdered, Skiddaw, Rugby, Jan/Feb 2018 *GUILTY*

12:34
Mum: My daughter's "stopped breathing"
During the 111 call, Porton tells the operator that Lexi had suffered a fit and “stopped breathing” at one point.

The call, which happened at around 9.15pm, eventually saw Porton speak to a clinician and an ambulance was arranged to take Lexi to hospital to be checked over.

Porton was told that if there was any change to Lexi’s condition then she should call 999.

Court LIVE: Accused mum 'acted like she'd lost goldfish' after daughters' deaths

12:44
Mum asked about money for sexual photos while on way to hospital
Shortly before 11pm on January 2, Porton rang 111 to say that she wanted to cancel the ambulance as she now had transport to take Lexi to hospital.

Then shortly after 11pm a member of West Midlands Ambulance Service rang Porton tell her to take Lexi to University Hospital in Coventry rather than St Cross in Rugby.

Just a few minutes after this, Porton was again messaging somebody about photos of a sexual nature and how much money was involved, while she was on her way to hospital with Lexi.

Court LIVE: Accused mum 'acted like she'd lost goldfish' after daughters' deaths

12:55
999 call
The jury is now hearing a 999 call made by Porton at 4.08am on January 4, 2018.

She tells the operator that Lexi isn’t breathing and is then guided through how to carry out CPR before medics arrive at 4.12am.

Lexi was admitted to hospital around 30 minutes later.

On the afternoon of January 4, Porton sends WhatsApp messages to different people telling them about Lexi being in hospital and says that her daughter “died for 20 minutes” before she was revived.

11:25KEY EVENT
Day two of murder trial
We have resumed on the second day of the trial and the first witness is Leigh-Anne Bradley, the defendant’s landlady in August 2016.

She said Porton had rented her property in Willenhall near Walsall, before moving out in around November 2017.

She had Lexi at that time and was heavily pregnant with Scarlett..

Ms Bradley said: ”She asked me to look after the children. It could be twice a week or three or four times a week. It could be from an hour to all day.

“Sometimes I would look after them in the evening. There were others she asked to help.”

Asked what Polton was doing while she was looking after the children she said: “It could be for food shopping or a job interview. She was also doing a photo-shoot for modelling. She was building a career.”

11:31
Mum 'swore at kids'
Ms Bradley said Polton would sometimes get frustrated and swore at her children.

She said: “They would cry and not always do what she asked them to do. She would tell them to shut the *advertiser censored** up or she would give them something to cry for.”

On one occasion Lexi had a temper tantrum and her mum pulled her up by one arm and told her to “get the *advertiser censored** up from the floor.”

The landlady said after a while they had a falling out and the defendant left her property.

In cross examination, Ms Bradley said over the summer months the defendant would visit her mother Sharon Pretty.

She said when she looked after the children it was often an arrangement made on the day.

She said the main reason she looked after the children was to allow Polton to go shopping in Wolverhampton.

11:40
Mum 'showed aggression to kids'
Ms Bradley said there were times she would look after the children on her own and sometimes with the defendant’s mother.

The shopping trips would be a couple of hours, she said.

“It would be an hour or two or sometimes all day depending on what Louise was doing.,” she said.

Sometimes she would get someone to look after Scarlett while she did the nursery collect, she said.

”There were several days a week when she had no help at all?” suggested defence counsel Andrew Smith QC.

“That’s not true,” she replied.

Ms Bradley said she did swear and show aggression to the children.

”She did not handle the children inappropriately?”asked Mr Smith.

“Yes she did.” she answered

11:50
'No concerns about kids' appearance'
The landlady said there had been a dispute about her rented property which was a “significant” factor in them no longer being friends.

Ms Bradley said the children were never any trouble and she had no concerns about their appearance.

In re-examination she confirmed that on occasions she had looked after the children all day.

Suzanne Lee, a housing officer in Rugby, said she first had contact with Polton in September 17 when she was living in Walsall..

She said she later understood she was living with her sister and was going to move into Parkside Guest House.

On January 8 Ms Lee said she called Polton in relation to moving to another address and she attended the council offices the following day and was handed some keys.

12:02
'Almost like someone had lost their goldfish'
The charges against Porton allege she murdered Lexi on January 15 2018 and Scarlett on February 1 2018.

Porton visited the housing office again on February 5 and they had a conversation about accommodation, said Miss Lee.

“She (Polton) was emotionless given the situation that had just taken place. I asked her what she would like to do with the furniture. She yawned and said ‘I don’t mind,’” she said.

”There was no emotion. It is such unusual circumstances. It was almost like someone had lost their goldfish.

“Everyone deals with grief in different ways.”

When cross examined she said: “I would find it difficult to describe the character she presented. We had conversations and she did engage when it was needed.”

She said the Parkside Guest house was temporary accommodation with a single room. Polton complained it was dirty and finding it difficult to cook meals and that it was her impression, she said, she wanted to move to more settled accommodation..

12:14
'Being naughty so some smacks'
Miss Lee said on February 7 she asked her how she was and she said she was “fine”.

Polton had also complained she had insufficient monies to feed the children and herself.

Miss Lee said Polton was someone who never really displayed emotion.

A police officer has been called to go through messages on Polton’s phone, including between her and someone called Jayce.

”You don’t think I am a bad mum do you.” she says to Jayce.

There are some emojis and kisses

”I have no chance of an early night with these kids,” she says.

.She also sent a message to her sister Karen Porton: “Being naughty so some smacks,” she had said.

12:23
'We can meet and I can *advertiser censored** you'
Going through further messages, it was claimed Louise Polton sent Jayce a sexy picture stating. “Will show more.”

The jury is told she also send a sort code to Jayce and the name ‘Miss Louise Porton’.

“We can meet and I can *advertiser censored** you,” she allegedly told Jayce.

The court was told sexual images were sent on the Meet Me website.

Polton allegedly said to a man Jazz: “Fund my account and I will show you more. Yes I drive. Meet tonight.”

He asked: “How much do you charge?” and she replied, “£100”.

The court was told there was another message from the defendant inviting Jason to her flat “despite both children being present.”

“It appears to be their first encounter having first met on a dating App,” said Nina Ellin, the prosecutor.

12:31
Messages about Lexi having fit
The court was told Porton sent a message to her sister about Lexi having a fit.

She wrote: “It made me cry. I did not know what was going on. It scared me. She was just lying next to me. Don’t think she knew what had happened. I got her to sit up. Gonna be awake all night making sure she is OK.Got bad tummy pains too.”

Her sister later asks: “Have 111 rang you back?”

12:32
Call to emergency service
We are now moving on to the calls made to emergency services.

Polton gives her details and referring to Lexi says: “I think she stopped breathing for a few minutes. I think she is all right now.”

She said her daughter was not unconscious and not gasping for breath and that she was responding normally.

Polton says “She was watching TV and it looked like she was having a fit.”

Polton was told that an ambulance could be sent.

12:48
'Is it cash up front?'
On the evening of January 2 Rich the photographer asks Polton in a message: “Hope you and your daughter are OK?”

The defendant later makes another call and there is a discussion about getting an ambulance for Lexi.

She then cancels the ambulance saying her father had arrived and they could make their own way to hospital.

Later in the evening she sends a message to Patrick on WhatsApp and there is a reference to a “happy ending.”

At 1.18am the following day she sends a message to Kieron stating: “Is it cash up front?”

Shorty after 6am Alexi was discharged from hospital.

On January 4, in the early hours of the morning, a website is visited by Porton about kid’s health and seizures.

13:01
'She died for 20 minutes at 3.30am'
In a 999 call on January 4, Polton is asked whether the patient is breathing and says no.

“I think she has been sick,” the mum had said. “She is lying on her back. She had a fit yesterday. There is sick coming out of her mouth.”

The defendant was given instructions about life support and a paramedic arrived on the scene.

Polton sent a series of messages on January 4 to various people.

She wrote: ”She is still not right. She died for 20 minutes at 3.30am. Going to be in hospital for a few days.”

She later sent another message saying: “Really need funds to help me get by.”

Court updates as mum accused of murdering her young daughters

14:49
Internet issues
Apologies for the break in our live coverage of the trial today, we have been experiencing some internet issues.

We will now resume the updates, covering what has been missed in the period since the court resumed.

14:52
Paramedic giving evidence
David Woods-Thomas, a paramedic for West Midlands Ambulance Service, has taken to the witness stand.

He attended the Parkside Guest House at around 4am on January 4 in a rapid response vehicle.

He said: “The patient’s mother was in front of me towards a rear wall. She was upset but not screaming or crying and indicated a child lying on a bed.”

He says the child was “extremely floppy” and her “respiratory rate was more lower” than expected.

14:53
Child's nose, mouth and ears were blue
Mr Woods-Thomas explains that the child’s breathing rate was low and he could hear her breathing, which he says was “crackly”, suggesting either “congestion or aspiration”.

He also says the child’s nose, mouth and ears were blue, suggesting a serious lack of oxygen.

The medic tried to check the child’s airway but couldn’t as her jaw had locked, while he also noted there was “no response to stimulation”.

14:59
Health improved
The jury hears that Lexi was deemed as a “time critical patient” at that time, meaning she needed to be in an emergency department as soon as possible.

Mr Woods-Thomas says that the child’s mother - Porton - told him about the child being in hospital earlier that day due to a “suspected convulsion”.

Lexi’s health improved as she was given ventilation, which was giving her 100 per cent oxygen, and “as he conscious levels improved, so did her movement”.

15:00
Mum "not distressed at all"
As Lexi began to come round, Mr Woods-Thomas says she vomited “phlegm and a choclatey mess”.

He tells the jury that Porton had told him she had fed her daughter chocolate as doctors at UHCW had told her earlier that day that Lexi would need to be fed.

Lexi was placed in the ambulance and Porton joined her and medics in the back.

Mr Woods-Thomas says that Porton “was not distressed at all”.

Nina Ellin, for the prosecution, asks if Porton touched her daughter while in the ambulance. The medic says she did not.

15:02
Chance meeting
The court hears that Mr Woods-Thomas saw Porton again “a few weeks later” at another incident he was called to in the Cawston area of Rugby.

He recalls: “The patient’s mother (Porton) said ‘that’s the medic that looked after my Lexi before she died’.”

He says she “wasn’t at all distressed” when she said this and believes she had a glass of wine in her hand.

“She was almost pleased to see me,” says Mr Woods-Thomas.

Accused mum 'acted like she'd lost goldfish' after daughters' deaths - recap

14:57
'Porton was upset but not screaming or crying'
David Woods-Thomas, a paramedic, said he was called to the defendant’s home and entered the property.

”Porton was upset but not screaming or crying,” he said.

He added a child was lying on a bed and that she was “extremely floppy” and that her condition was life threatening.

”We had no idea why the child was as ill as she was.”

Mr Woods-Thomas said he took the child to the ambulance and her mother sat in the rear.

”I was at the head end of the patient and she was on the next chair,” he said.

”The paramedic said the incident lasted for 47 minutes. He said he was called to another incident a few weeks later and saw Porton.

He said she said: “That is the paramedic who looked after my Lexi before she died. She was not at all distressed. I remember her standing there. I think she had a glass of wine in her hand. She was almost pleased to see me.”

15:03
Paramedic: Mum didn't try to interfere with treatment
Andrew Smith QC, defending, says that it would have been “obvious” to anyone in the room where Lexi was being treated that her treatment was “taking priority over any other topic”.

Mr Woods-Thomas agrees.

Mr Smith states: “[Porton] wasn’t trying to interfere or get in the way of the medical treatment.”

Again the medic agrees.

15:05
Paramedic: "You could tell she was upset"
Mr Woods-Thomas says that Porton did give answers to any questions asked of her while Lexi was being treated.

He adds: “She was fairly quiet but you could tell she was upset.”

Speaking of the time that Mr Woods-Thomas saw Porton a few weeks after treating Lexi, Mr Smith says that Porton “seemed pleased to see you”. The witness agrees.

Mr Smith describes the 45 minutes or so that Mr Woods-Thomas was treating Lexi as “quite intense minutes for those that took part”.

15:06
End of day two
That concludes Mr Woods-Thomas’ evidence and also our coverage of the trial for today.

Accused mum 'acted like she'd lost goldfish' after daughters' deaths - recap

14:58
Paramedic gives evidence
In cross examination Mr Woods-Thomas said: “All in the time she was in our care there was an immediate threat to her life.”

The treatment continued while she was being taken to hospital and the focus was on Lexi, he said/

“I tried to reassure the mother that we were doing everything we could to support her child. That was as far as the conversation went.”

He said when he saw her a few weeks later his interpretation was that she was pleased to see him.

15:00
Lexi was lying on bed
Albert Veldhuizen, a paramedic, said at about 4.10am on January 4 he was asked to attend an emergency at Parkside Guest House.

He said Lexi was lying on a bed.

Asked about Porton he said: “She was not crying. There was nothing to note for me. I was focused on the child rather than her.”

He said the child had vomited “It was like a chocolate milkshake,” he said.

“I cannot say how many times she vomited but when she did vomit a lot came out. There were no bits of food in it.

“I did over hear that she (Porton) say she had come from Birmingham. She was relatively calm.”

In cross examination he said he would have picked up on it if the mother had shown an extreme emotion.

This has just popped up, bit more from yesterday?:

17:33
While in hospital Porton messages photographer offering to do sexual acts for money, the court hears
We have now returned to the messages at a time when Lexi is in hospital.

Porton offers to send Rich the photographer “indecent images” of her while she is in the hospital toilet, the court hears.

There are 59 messages between them, the court is told.

”Are you looking for fun or a relationship?” she asks in another message on January 5.

”Are you looking to settle down with someone.”

The person replies “I am looking for a relationship.”

She asks “Would you ever drive to Rugby”.

While in hospital Porton messages the photographer offering to do sexual acts for money, the court hears.

There are a total of 38 messages.

On January 6 she offers to perform sex acts on the photographer, jurors hear.

She says he could have her for the day to do whatever he wanted for £300, the court is told.

17:40
Websites
Porton sends messages to Jason on January 13 saying she got “pissed” and went to bed at 7am, the court hears.

She accessed a story on a website on Sky News about a child who died from a flu virus, jurors hear.

There are some more CCTV clips showing the defendant in a car park with her children and them arriving at their address.

The court is told she visits a website with a story ‘For how long after drowning can someone be resuscitated.’

Porton looks at other stories with the titles ‘Toddler brought back to life after nearly drowning’ and ‘How long does it take for a dead body to go cold up to the shoulder’ and ‘Five weird things that happen when you die.’

The trial has now finished for the day.

11:08
Day three underway
On the third day of the trial Dr Phillip Cox said he carried out a post mortem examination on Lexi Draper on January 19.

Various samples were taken and sent for analysis.

He said there was not natural cause of death but at the same time nothing suspicious.

Dr Cox said he also carried out a joint forensic post mortem on Scarlett on February 2 and then an additional examination on Lexi.

The doctor said he conducted an internal and external examination of Lexi and had examined tissues under the microscope.

He said it was “an unexpected and unobserved death of a three-year-old year girl.

”She appeared well nourished and well cared for and her weight was appropriate,” he said.

11:11
Post mortem evidence
The doctor said that Lexi had breathed in vomit while unconscious

.”There is evidence of food material in the lungs,” he said.

“It is likely it is related to the same event that caused the aspiration.

“It is a suspicious finding, a finding that would cause me concern.”

He said that another doctor during the second post mortem had identified a small haemorrhage in the muscles that run down the side of the neck.

He said if he had been aware of these findings at the first post mortem he would have referred it to the coroner because it was not natural.

11:19
Scarlett had bruises on head
Now moving on to Scarlett, Dr Cox said he did not find any natural cause of death.

There were pin point haemorrhages on her face and there was an area of fatty tissue on her right buttock which had died.

Referring to the finding relating to the buttock he said: “There was no obvious cause for it. It can be due to trauma. It happened a couple of days before she died. It is not related to CPR.”

The doctor said Scarlett had two small bruises on the left side of the forehead.

”There were four areas of bruising. It appeared to be two different events. They looked slightly different.”

Some had occurred possibly a day prior to death and others were at least two or three days old.

”I would describe the lungs as congested and there were little haemorrhages on the surfaces of the lungs,” Dr Cox said.

11:26
'Nothing I saw with naked eye... was suspicious'
Dr Cox said there was some bleeding in Scarlett’s lungs and small areas of bleeding in the neck muscles and thyroid.

Her brain seemed a bit swollen.

In cross examination he is being asked by Andrew Smith QC about the post mortem examination of Lexi on January 19.

”Nothing I saw with the naked eye I thought was suspicious,” he said.

“There was some dry areas on her cheeks reddish in colour which looked like eczema, he said.

Dr Cox said her case was treated as sudden unexpected death of a child and that he had been given a medical history of recent seizures and her admission to hospital on January 4.

Her airways and pipes were of normal in appearance.

He found evidence of a blood break down product in the lungs related to an event before her death, which was unexpected and would require an explanation for.

The doctor said he can not tell how it came to be there. “There are a number of possible causes,” he said.

12:40
Doctor gives evidence
The doctor said: “Aspiration of pneumonia was in my mind the explanation for the admission to hospital.”

He said when he conducted the first post mortem alone he did not identify the bleeding in the neck muscles.of Lexi.

”I would have looked externally at them,” he said.

He did not find any equivalent bleeding in the left side of the neck, he said.

There was no pin prick bleeding on the surface of the heart. There were areas of inflammation to the heart tissue.

Dr Cox said there was food within Lexi’s stomach and her liver was a bit heavier than expected.

There was also a blood break down product in Scarlett’s lungs which may have been caused by one or two “events.”

“There are a number of possibilities however the post mortem examination did not show any of the cause,” he said.

12:56
'I heard Louise say the baby is in trouble she is not breathing'
Going back to events in Rugby, Denis Brandom said he was living at Parkside guest House which had a number of rooms.

There was an occasion when paramedics turned up and took away a child and a few days later the child was back at the address.

”I was aware of a kerfuffle at the front door,” he said,.

“As I went to investigate I heard Louise say the baby is in trouble she is not breathing. I looked on the camera and the front door was open.

“I saw blue lights outside and the paramedic came rushing in and took one minute and went straight into room number two and rushed straight out with the baby in his arms.

“Something I will never forget. I thought the baby had died.”

The next day, he said, looked at CCTV footage.

“I remember seeing that Louise was in one of the boy’s rooms upstairs, room four, I saw her come down the stairs. She was out of her room for about an hour. She used to do this regularly. I think that was happening on a frequent basis.”

13:01
Mum was crying
In cross examination Mr Brandom said Porton occupied a ground floor room and there was shared bathroom facilities.

He said he had never been formally introduced to the defendant or had any substantial conversation with her.

She would spend many hours away from the guest house, he said.

Mr Brandon said he believed there was only one child and that he did not have any concerns about her treatment of the child.

He said he heard Porton say: “Is she breathing. Is an ambulance coming” and there was “a sense of panic in her voice shortly before the paramedic arrived.”

“I saw her on the CCTV camera and she was just inside the door.”

She was visibly crying, he said.

13:02
Witness cross examined
Mr Brandom said the CCTV cameras covered the communal areas of the property and the footage he viewed has been recorded over.

He was asked by the police about what he had seen six months later.

It was put to him that Porton’s visit to Jordan’s room was five minutes.

It was about 45 minutes he said. ”She did return to her room momentarily.”

He said he was not aware of Jordan following her.

Mr Smith said he was mistaken in his recollection as to how long she was away from her room. He denied that.

In re-examination Mr Brandon said he had seen Porton go into Jordan’s room and come out later.

13:05
Porton 'did not seem like someone who had lost a child'
Charlotte Cowley, a technical officer at the Rugby housing department, said on January 8 she had a telephone conversation with Porton.

She was due to move into a temporary address and arranged to meet up with her on the following day.

The defendant, she said, asked for a food bank voucher because she had no food in the fridge because her daughter had been in hospital.

Mis Cowley said Porton had given her a description of what happened to Lexi. before she was taken to hospital

Asked about how she seemed she said: “She was so blase about the whole thing. She seemed quite vacant and emotionless. I was in disbelief that she could have sat and watched their child not breathing for 10 minutes before deciding to call an ambulance.”

She said she saw Porton later and said: “She was just laughing and did not seem like someone who had lost one of their children.”

14:28
'No food for children'
Miss Cowley , in cross examination, said Porton told her she had no food available for the children and that her daughter had been in hospital.

She agreed that Porton had been “very matter of fact”.

She added: “There was just no change during the conversation.”

Asked whether she remembered all the conversation she said, “Not word for word but that conversation stuck in my mind. That was a very memorable conversation.”

On January 29 she saw her briefly in a reception area.

”As I recall I was in one of the interview booths and I glanced across.”

She said she could not hear what was said or why she was smiling or laughing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back