Found Deceased VA - Noah Tomlin, 2, Hampton, 24 June 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bravo! I love your post and YES, time to walk the walk!

Ratifying a UN xonvebtin
A first step could be to get the U.S. to ratificate the United Nation's Convention on the Rights of the Child, as the U.S. is the only country in the world that hasn't done that. U.S. ratification of the Convention on the Rights of the Child - Wikipedia
It may not change much in reality, but it's 30 years ago this year the convention was written, so it's high time to "walk the walk".

How would ratifying a UN convention be walking the walk if it may not change much in reality?

Even Human Rights Watch acknowledges that “[t]he vast majority of US laws are consistent with the Convention.” And the exceptions don’t apply to the issues being raised in this thread, but instead to sentencing for youth offenders.

Why can't Mothers or Fathers who can't parent and feel the need to kill their kid, just bring the child to a hospital, fire station anywhere!!!!!! And say "I can't do this and I'm afraid Im going to hurt the child" for the love of GOD!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly -- there's no blame, no shame, just thanks.
SMH.

Welcome to Websleuths,
gwen nelson !!

I am sorry but the policy of reunification at all costs must end. Period. The cost ends up being the lives of these babies. Until CPS stops blindly working to reunite families that were never and never will be safe, this will continue.

I agree. We went to foster classes some years ago. We they explained the whole reunification theory to us; we quit. We just could not agree with it

When I made the thread for Noah, I hoped that it'd be a different outcome than this. RIP sweet boy - you deserved much more than this.

When is CPS going to step up and help the KIDS instead of being 'politically correct, following the guidelines, keeping mothers with their children' oriented!?! I'm sick of it. I'm sick of these threads where the parent(s) had every opportunity to turn things around, where people could have intervened, and still a child suffered because there wasn't 'enough' to pull them. A sap story of a child being burned from a hot stove over their entire body should have been the line drawn in the sand where those children were given to people who would actually love them.

The problem is that the social services in place (DCFS/CPS/etc.) are not funded enough to operate in a way that actually is helpful to some of those that are most in need of help. There aren't enough case workers for the amount of cases/families that are in the system, and in all fairness, not all people end up being reported or noted with the agencies. Just like with other crimes, there is a bystander effect that sometimes also occurs where everyone just assumes someone else will report. Sadly it causes people to fall through the cracks that are most deserving of help.

They are overworked, and underpaid, and rely on government programs that get cut every chance the govt. gets.

It's not even really about political correctness, it's mostly about being stretched too thin. The government wants to force people to have kids if they get pregnant, but want absolutely nothing to do with the child when it is born.

The problem is that the social services in place (DCFS/CPS/etc.) are not funded enough to operate in a way that actually is helpful to some of those that are most in need of help. There aren't enough case workers for the amount of cases/families that are in the system, and in all fairness, not all people end up being reported or noted with the agencies. Just like with other crimes, there is a bystander effect that sometimes also occurs where everyone just assumes someone else will report. Sadly it causes people to fall through the cracks that are most deserving of help.

They are overworked, and underpaid, and rely on government programs that get cut every chance the govt. gets.

It's not even really about political correctness, it's mostly about being stretched too thin. The government wants to force people to have kids if they get pregnant, but want absolutely nothing to do with the child when it is born.
Great post, Mockturtle -- I knew a couple of caseworkers -- as have many of us, I'd guess -- and both of them went into their jobs seriously and a bit naively as well. They each drove all over Robeson County here in NC -- a very poor county.
They would write up reports, hand them in, discuss the situation, and nothing really happened. (These case workers did not work together, but were friends and both worked in Robeson County -- each majored in Sociology, and were doing the jobs they went to college to do.) I was so proud of them -- they were good friends of mine. One remained in the dept. for about 10 years -- she got a couple of promotions, but still a fairly lousy salary. She finally resigned and became a guidance counselor at a private school in another county -- happy as a lark & well-paid. My other friend resigned after 3 years, IIANM, and started working at the public library and loved it, too, and was better paid.
They both were so disillusioned, took work home with them at no pay of course, and each was often either angry or depressed -- they knew they were doing all they could, but it wasn't enuff and their supervisors had similar feelings of desperation. Low budgets, yes, and the money was never there.

It's a matter of budget and priorities -- Noah and his fellow sufferers-turned-angels were never anyone's priority.

Please excuse the rant.

I agree 200%. There are sex offender registries. I think there should be abuse registries too because you can’t rehabilitate abusers. There are abuse registries for some occupations, like healthcare, but I mean one for the general public to be put on that can be accessed for the whole world to see. Once you have rightfully been put on the registry, I don’t think you should be able to haphazardly keep having children, and the children in your custody should be given to families that want them and will take care of them. JMO.
There are already registries. Clearly, nobody is paying attention to them. An easy solution would be to combine these registries into a national database. I've followed several cases where the abusive parent simply moves to another jurisdiction to avoid CPS investigators.

Central Registries - Child Welfare Information Gateway

Plenty of funding goes to DCFS in every state yet these cases still keep happening. I think many of us feel overworked and underpaid but we still do our jobs or we get fired. The caseworker in the AJ Freund case had received complaints yet seemed to have plenty of time for politics and he still hasn't been fired to my knowledge.

DCFS investigator under review in AJ Freund case faced prior discipline, sits on McHenry County Board

JMO

Plenty of funding goes to DCFS in every state yet these cases still keep happening. I think many of us feel overworked and underpaid but we still do our jobs or we get fired. The caseworker in the AJ Freund case had received complaints yet seemed to have plenty of time for politics and he still hasn't been fired to my knowledge.

DCFS investigator under review in AJ Freund case faced prior discipline, sits on McHenry County Board

JMO

That seems to be a conflict of interest, to be an elected official and an employee of the state. And quite disturbing, that there is a pattern of behavior that shows his lack of ethics in his position.

That seems to be a conflict of interest, to be an elected official and an employee of the state. And quite disturbing, that there is a pattern of behavior that shows his lack of ethics in his position.

imo, he should have been fired after the first complaint by the DA. CPS is a dysfunctional mess because of the mandate of "reunification" even if the parents are committing crimes such as drug abuse. Social workers aren't trained to deal with criminals.

Noah never had a chance. I'm tired of our dysfunctional system and incompetent workers failing children.

JMO

Once a child has been neglected, abused, burned without being treated (like Noah's sister) --the other children should be removed; asap.
There is no 'parenting' class that will change these "parents". Imo.
Over and over.
This will probably happen again to other at risk children.

The kids were removed after the burning incident. Those 4 children were raised by their paternal grandparents.

She just had another set or two. I wish there was a way to monitor future children, but it'll never happen.

Yeah, it's definitely not for the money.
SNAP provides them with some formula or milk, maybe beans, tuna and juice every month while most of the govt funded housing situations are despicable. Imo
WIC provides those specifics. SNAP on the otherhand, adds funds to an account that a person can use to buy whatever food items they want to.

I don’t know...there’s always posts on Craig’s list selling hundreds of dollars worth of assistance or the food that’s been purchased with it. People say if someone doesn’t use the full amount every month, the amount will be lowered, so they buy everything allowed, then sell it. I have no idea how true that is. When drugs are involved, logic goes out the window, imo. I have no issues providing enough food for my kids, but now that one is a teenage boy I’d love another hundred or two in my grocery budget.
Personal experience/knowledge: when I split from my exhusband and it was me and my 3 kids, our amount was around $700 per month. Had to recertify every 6 months due myself being disabled and the kids (it's something like 3 months without dependents and if you're able bodied). The amount did increase for a while because it adjusts with cost of living increases as well. I've never heard of them lowering the amount given each month because it wasn't used fully. However, whatever they give you has to be used up within a year from being loaded to the card or they do take that unused portion back (which I see as fair. It isn't being used and hasn't for a year, they should be allowed to recoup it and use it for someone who needs it).

WIC provides those specifics. SNAP on the otherhand, adds funds to an account that a person can use to buy whatever food items they want to.
I knew someone who worked at a walmart customer service and she said you would not believe
the things people bring back for credit. They finally wised up and made them exchange food items for food items. For instance, an almost empty bottle of peanut butter would come back...Gallons of milk.. you name it

Did I miss something? Why is there so much discussion about WIC and SNAP? Trying to figure out what that has to do with Noah. Is there a connection with the mother and these programs? I had only heard about her stating in court she was receiving disability checks.
Please post source if we know she was receiving other benefits or if there is some connection between these benefits and his death. Otherwise this thread has gone way off topic.

Did I miss something? Why is there so much discussion about WIC and SNAP? Trying to figure out what that has to do with Noah. Is there a connection with the mother and these programs? I had only heard about her stating in court she was receiving disability checks.
Please post source if we know she was receiving other benefits or if there is some connection between these benefits and his death. Otherwise this thread has gone way off topic.

many pages back it was questioned why so many fight to keep the kids they don't even want (I'm not quoting) and I had responded "it's probably for the $$" (but i didn't mention SNAP or WIC) then it took off from there. so if I started that I apologize now. oops.

There are already registries. Clearly, nobody is paying attention to them. An easy solution would be to combine these registries into a national database. I've followed several cases where the abusive parent simply moves to another jurisdiction to avoid CPS investigators.

Central Registries - Child Welfare Information Gateway

I wasn’t aware of this. Thanks! Yes, it should be a national database. That was what I was recommending.

Police find body believed to be Noah Tomlin, missing Hampton toddler

I'm glad they found him and am reporting my post so the mods can update the thread when appropriate that he has been found .. RIP little one.

His mother (so-called) from the news report:

In 2010, Julia spent five months behind bars after pleading guilty to felony child neglect. Court documents say her then-1-year-old daughter was severely burned after Julia sat her down on a hot kitchen stove.

It should be mandatory that women who do this NEVER, EVER be allowed to have more babies to torture. This baby was doomed from the day he was born! Heartbreaking, IMO, MOO.

I wonder what ever happened to the severely burned little girl from the 2010?

I am so relieved they found this little one, but will they EVER do anything to stop this from happening? Tie her tubes! Please!

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member