OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Clint lied about Brandon doing all those shots. If Brandon only had one shot at the last visit to UTS, he would've been sober and perhaps ready to disappear to a new life that only Clint was privy to. But how did he get out without being seen in the most CCTV covered city in all of Ohio?
Brian probably didn't get out. His remains are probably still there, most likely under the completely dug up active construction area that Sgt. Hurst suggests Brian 'most likely' (doesn't instill confidence, especially with Brian radio silent for 4,000+ days since supposedly exiting) got exited out of.

Perhaps Clint lied about Brandon doing all those shots. If Brandon only had one shot at the last visit to UTS, he would've been sober and perhaps ready to disappear to a new life that only Clint was privy to. But how did he get out without being seen in the most CCTV covered city in all of Ohio?

You mean Brian, rather than Brandon... I think you might have been getting autocorrected or something there :)

LE would have been able to get a decent idea how how much Brian had to drink. They most likely paid with cards, not cash, plus this stuff can be paired up with what was put through the till or cash register that night. I've done a lot of hospitality work over the years... and I can definitely say that finding specific purchases on the till roll (or an equivalent print out these days) isn't really like looking for a needle in a haystack at all. You can always find what you're looking for on those, even on a busy night. Basically, the alcohol purchases would have had a paper trail.

The only way Brian could have been sober, was if he actually faked drinking the shots or something like that.

I’m not sure if any of you follow any other cases in Ohio, but on today’s episode I released of Missing in Ohio there is a preview of the Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive Podcast. It is an upcoming Podcast we are doing that will kind of pick up where Comeback left off. The episode is Missing in Ohio Chapter Ten: the Disappearance Of Yvonne Regler.

I’m not sure if any of you follow any other cases in Ohio, but on today’s episode I released of Missing in Ohio there is a preview of the Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive Podcast. It is an upcoming Podcast we are doing that will kind of pick up where Comeback left off. The episode is Missing in Ohio Chapter Ten: the Disappearance Of Yvonne Regler.
Will check it out!
Ws thread..
OH - OH - Yvonne Regler, 17, Fairview Park, 8 Aug 1977

Really interesting that there was more than one ping, and that the ringing and the ping off the Hilliard tower were not part of the same event. It always sounded like they were, because those two things are normally mentioned together, but I always did want confirmation about that. I guess now we know.

I'm not going to assume anything about whether the pings were close together time wise, or if they were off the Hilliard tower exclusively either... I'm just hoping we get clarification about that too. It's funny all that should come up now. In the couple of days before this preview was released, I was about to make a post about the possibility of the phone having been on a charger at the time it seemed like it was ringing (at least from the caller's end).

I've actually just moved back to the small town I was living in back then... I was living here at the time Brian disappeared (although I hadn't heard of the case then). Something happens to you when you leave a place, and then return 12 years later... I'm kind of having all manner of flashbacks here. Anyway, I can remember what kind of phone I had back then, the earlier model phone I still had as a back-up, the phone I borrowed from my sister for a while, and another mobile phone I found (which had been stolen at a nightclub then discarded) and managed to return to the owner. With that last phone, I had to keep the battery alive while I was trying to find the owner. I had kept every charger cable I'd ever owned, just in case any friends needed to use them when visiting. None fit that phone. In fact, in the couple of years prior I had been living on campus, and whenever anyone put word out that they needed a phone charger pronto... about 15 students would produce 15 different things before something would fit.

It was all a bit more confusing back then. At least where I'm from, there weren't a couple of brand names dominating the market like Apple and Samsung, until a couple years later. It just made me wonder if whoever had the phone in their possession, finally got around to plugging it in whenever they happened upon a charger that would fit. Yeah, they could have hunted one down sooner, but they might not have thought it important. Or they might have wanted to wait until it could be assumed the owner's account was no longer active. It would make sense that it rang for several hours and no one answered, because that's how long they took to recharge back then, and it would probably be left unattended for that. Then the result might have been a bit of an "Oh heck!" moment when this phone clocked up 50 or so missed calls in that short amount of time, prompting them to shut the phone off.

Total conjecture... but in tossing around why a phone might ring for that long with no response, that's what I thought of.

Really interesting that there was more than one ping, and that the ringing and the ping off the Hilliard tower were not part of the same event. It always sounded like they were, because those two things are normally mentioned together, but I always did want confirmation about that. I guess now we know.

I'm not going to assume anything about whether the pings were close together time wise, or if they were off the Hilliard tower exclusively either... I'm just hoping we get clarification about that too. It's funny all that should come up now. In the couple of days before this preview was released, I was about to make a post about the possibility of the phone having been on a charger at the time it seemed like it was ringing (at least from the caller's end).

I've actually just moved back to the small town I was living in back then... I was living here at the time Brian disappeared (although I hadn't heard of the case then). Something happens to you when you leave a place, and then return 12 years later... I'm kind of having all manner of flashbacks here. Anyway, I can remember what kind of phone I had back then, the earlier model phone I still had as a back-up, the phone I borrowed from my sister for a while, and another mobile phone I found (which had been stolen at a nightclub then discarded) and managed to return to the owner. With that last phone, I had to keep the battery alive while I was trying to find the owner. I had kept every charger cable I'd ever owned, just in case any friends needed to use them when visiting. None fit that phone. In fact, in the couple of years prior I had been living on campus, and whenever anyone put word out that they needed a phone charger pronto... about 15 students would produce 15 different things before something would fit.

It was all a bit more confusing back then. At least where I'm from, there weren't a couple of brand names dominating the market like Apple and Samsung, until a couple years later. It just made me wonder if whoever had the phone in their possession, finally got around to plugging it in whenever they happened upon a charger that would fit. Yeah, they could have hunted one down sooner, but they might not have thought it important. Or they might have wanted to wait until it could be assumed the owner's account was no longer active. It would make sense that it rang for several hours and no one answered, because that's how long they took to recharge back then, and it would probably be left unattended for that. Then the result might have been a bit of an "Oh heck!" moment when this phone clocked up 50 or so missed calls in that short amount of time, prompting them to shut the phone off.

Total conjecture... but in tossing around why a phone might ring for that long with no response, that's what I thought of.
Great thinking, even if it had been with Brian he might not have the charger with him.

Hello. I had wondered about Brian being compared to many John Doe’s that have been found. I’m friends with Todd Matthews from NamUs and close to someone at Ohio B.C.I.. when I cane across a couple of John Doe’s that I thought needed to be checked I reached out to them. They ran Brian’s DNA through their database and didn’t receive any matches for DNA with any John Doe on file.

Oddly enough that entry just got taken down from NamUs. It was #11730 under Unidentified persons. Interesting.

Yes, I'm aware of what "possibly" means but I'm not debating that. I also know what "likely" means and to me it stretches credulity to suggest a theory, while theoretically within the realms of possibility, is "likely" that has absolutely no evidence to support it. Is it technically possible he could still be in the building? Yes, but it seems to be an incredibly slim one and is a theory that only lives on due to the lack of evidence, not because there's any real evidence to still put him there. In fact, what evidence we do have, though scant and not conclusive, works against the theory.

In addition, even though Hurst now speculates that Brian exited via the construction area - he was never seen on the camera heading in that direction. The same camera that did capture the band leaving by that back hall. So the lack of being seen on camera that is used to suggest he never left also works against I'm being in the area some people think he still hidden in.

Out of ALL the people that were through that area, just in the first week, you don't think that someone would have mentioned if cement was freshly poured or would have investigated that fact if it had? Never mind the police, numerous other parties were also through there ...including Randy Shaffer... you don't think his father would have made a fuss if concrete were poured in the middle of searching for Brian?

Also, I posted a link to news footage a while back that offers a brief glimpse of the construction area in question. It's the best view we have of that area so far, though it's not much. However, if news crews were able to survey the scene before floors were finished then that also goes against the idea that cement was quickly poured.

While we don't have searches logged down to the exact date and hour, there's more information available than you suggest. Just going off the original NBC4i reports from the time he went missing, you can piece together how exhaustive the search was there, both by people and dogs, within the first 7-10 days.

Not just in the gateway building that housed UTS but also the surrounding area and the local trash dumps were searched with dogs.

"concealed"? What if they just haven't belabored the point because none of them believe he's still there? Hurst said they have three theories of what happened to Brian and won't talk about them but he has no problem discussing Brian maybe going through the construction area and possibly exiting there.

It's interesting, and can be potentially helpful, to speculate on how things might have happened but when you base a theory on unsubstantiated conjecture (such as "maybe they know that cement was poured on Sunday or on Monday morning" or "cadaver dogs weren't taken to the site until a month later") then you should at least try to back up the conjecture before you use it to state a particular theory is "likely".

I'm not suggesting this theory shouldn't be entertained, explored, or discussed but when I ask if you have any info to suggest when the concrete was poured and you resort to suggesting it's being "concealed", etc, then it doesn't seem very sound in the face of what we do know.
Hi. I watched a few videos about the disappearance of Brian and must admit that this case truly puzzles me. Watched a video about 7 disappearances and this one caught my eye because they said the lad was never seen to leave the building. Though there is no evidence to support it I think that he somehow managed to leave the premises it just cannot be seen. The whole story complicates the fact that he lost his mother not long before and was depressed. It puts a different dimension to this case. Let's say,and it's only my gut feeling jugged after seeing the interview with her,that his girlfriend is not saying everything about the state of his mind and she hides something. So say that she knew that he had for example suicidal thoughts and reports it after he's gone. Then there is only one way of conducting investigation. There is many questions unknown to me because I haven't been too deep into this case like certain members of this forum. Dont know for example the plans of this building apart from 3 exits being there: first main up the escalator, second emergency exit and third so called construction exit. Only the third one is without a camera at it. According to what was said there are 3 theories from the Police of what happened...Strangely I have 3 too and in each of them unfortunately he won't be found alive. Sorry. Some people say that he never left the building. I cannot laugh at it I just find it very unlikely and not supported by evidence. What would have happened to end up like this? Must have been murdered and nothing seen by anyone then burried in the cellar or concreted into the floor or walls (accident or overdose would be reported for sure unless it happened somewhere in the toilets nobody seen it and it was discovered when everyone left or next day and the owners didn't want a bad opinion and only if it was overdose and then they disposed of the body)!? The murder scenario and conreting I find ridiculous and trust me as much as I think badly about the Police work sometimes Im sure and trust them that they would immediately uncover it. There is a few questions that I dont know the answers: If Brian managed to get to the band and if yes what was he talking about? Was there any security protecting the band? Was is the plan of the building with doors and windows? What is his friend hiding and doesn't want to take the lie detector? What is the background of the owners? Because not knowing the answers I can put forward only 3 theories of what happened and in each one must have been involved some kind of vehicle that he left the premises otherwise he would be seen somewhere by cameras. So the first one is if there were bouncers accidentally beaten to death by them if there was no bouncers don't even take this one into account. Within this theory is overdosing(with his state of mind after the death of his mother it is likely that he turned to drugs and nobody knew about it,perhaps it is exactly what his friend is afraid of) and not being seen by anyone then there were a few days to dispose of the body. A few days gives you a lot of time to get rid of the problem and clean up the scene. Second theory he somehow managed to leave the building got into vehicle,perhaps with the band and he didn't have to leave the club directly with them, got away from the premises then commited a suicide. And the third theory is that he left the building again by a vehicle perhaps a taxi got off and got into trouble in the streets,killed and body disposed. These are the only theories I can come up with here. It really puzzles me and the more I'm thinking about it the more likely is the theory with overdosing. Perhaps that colleague is not telling everything and that's why lawyered up. Look, the guy is depressed after his mother died,turns to drugs and mixed with alkohol They are even more dangerous,goes to the toilet and never wakes up and you all must remember that everything happened around the closing time. Then the owners find the body,think that they have a problem and don't want a bad reputation so they get rid of the body and trust me they have tons of time and million of ideas on how to get rid of the body. Thats why nobody sees him leaving the premises, that's why there is no blood or any other evidence of him...bleech makes miracles especially at places like toilets full of tiles. Regards

The guys on this video are a bit weird but they bring out some interesting points and show CCTV footage I hadn't seen before. At around the 110.00 point, you see Brian with these 2 girls just outside the UTS. The girls are agitated and arguing, probably drunk because the one with her face towards the camera pushes the other girl backwards, then raises up her arm to hit her. They totally ignore Brian, who seems puzzled by their behavior but he apparently follows them back inside the bar. To the left are a group of guys who look like "fun" drunks as opposed to those girls. They (the girls) weren't identified for about 3 years and then they weren't polygraphed; maybe they should've been. Clint also claims that Brian was seeing other women. I wonder what was going on with Brian and those 2 girls just before closing time?

I wonder what was going on with Brian and those 2 girls just before closing time?

Don't know. Maybe he was hitting on them, who knows. What I do know is that one doesn't go from hitting on some girls one minute to activating a plan to permanently disappear into a new life the next. Never another phone call, never again witnessed, never on vid, never seen leaving the building. Something bad happened to Brian moments after his chat with the girls ended.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/23/larry-ely-murillo-moncada-council-bluffs-disappearance-cooler-no-frills-supermarket/?outputType=amp

Another example of a body found trapped in odd location years after the person vanished. I think of stories like this every time someone tries to conclude with certainty that Brian isn’t still in the building.

No one smelled the decaying corpse, and no one though to look in that exact spot, even though 1.) he worked there 2.) workers apparently climbed around this area often 3.) even his mother had a hunch that he was there.

I’m telling you, I would not be surprised if one day Brian’s body is discovered somewhere unexpected within that building. Not necessarily even the construction area, but perhaps the movie theater, any of the adjoining businesses, or some other place no one ever thought to look. What if the construction area was such a distraction / red herring that they didn’t look hard enough somewhere else??

There are more of these stories out there. And while obviously no case is exactly like Brian’s, these cases should give pause to those who like to so quickly like to write off the building theories as “far fetched.”

The only thing we certainly know about that night after 1:55am is something bizarre and unlikely happened. You can’t convince me that is impossible Brian met this sort of fate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/23/larry-ely-murillo-moncada-council-bluffs-disappearance-cooler-no-frills-supermarket/?outputType=amp

Another example of a body found trapped in odd location years after the person vanished. I think of stories like this every time someone tries to conclude with certainty that Brian isn’t still in the building.

No one smelled the decaying corpse, and no one though to look in that exact spot, even though 1.) he worked there 2.) workers apparently climbed around this area often 3.) even his mother had a hunch that he was there.

I’m telling you, I would not be surprised if one day Brian’s body is discovered somewhere unexpected within that building. Not necessarily even the construction area, but perhaps the movie theater, any of the adjoining businesses, or some other place no one ever thought to look. What if the construction area was such a distraction / red herring that they didn’t look hard enough somewhere else??

There are more of these stories out there. And while obviously no case is exactly like Brian’s, these cases should give pause to those who like to so quickly like to write off the building theories as “far fetched.”

The only thing we certainly know about that night after 1:55am is something bizarre and unlikely happened. You can’t convince me that is impossible Brian met this sort of fate.

Totally agree that something bizarre and unlikely happened. I personally think it not just possible but likely that Brian never left the building housing the UTS. Not worth rehashing here, but hopefully one day we'll know.

Thought I would share this. Personally I have never seen a photo of Brian that I thought was credible as far as one that was taken after he went missing. If Brian is alive I think he would still be playing guitar in some aspect or another. So yesterday I received an email with a photo attached. The person sent me two photos. The one I am posting is from 2009. I cropped out the right side because I did not want to show the two people in the crowd just for privacy reasons. Obviously it is someone who has a wig on and possibly doing some kind of retro or tribute band. The second picture I received is from this year and it shows a man, supposedly the same person sitting on a couch holding a guitar much like the photo of Brian that is posted all over the internet. I have not been given permission to post this photo, but I am hoping to get it. I have to say the most recent photo could pass for an older Brian. The man has a lot of grey hair but he does resemble Brian at least IMO. These two photos are probably the first and only photos that I thought could be Brian. Keep in mind I am NOT saying I think this is Brian, just that there is a resemblance IMO.

Attachments

• zz (2).jpg
    zz (2).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 136
I can see what you mean when I look at the jawline. I don’t think the nose is right though.

I agree, but in some photos he seems to have a smaller looking nose depending on the angle. I've actually thought this before when I have seen various pics of him.

Brian does not have a hook nose but in some photos from the front it looks wide. I wonder if his nose was ever broken.

a52a22890450785b4bcccefa46de9d9d--cowboy-hats-cowboys.jpg 30_525164159775_3861_n.jpg brian_randall_shaffer_3 (1).jpg

I agree, but in some photos he seems to have a smaller looking nose depending on the angle. I've actually thought this before when I have seen various pics of him.

Have you run a reverse image search on the uncropped version, just to see if it appears anywhere else on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam