Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disparition de Theo Hayez: à Byron Bay les bénévoles ne désarment pas

Translated on the official LFTH Facebook page by the administrator.

Disappearance of Theo Hayez: in Byron Bay the volunteers do not disarm

New searches to find Theo in places infested with snakes.

If the Australian police has stopped the physical searches since last week, volunteers had decided yesterday to resume physical searches on the ground, more than a month after the disappearance of the 18-year-old Belgian Theo Hayez. These were to focus on a well-defined area of Byron Bay cape where Theo's smartphone made its last signal on Saturday, June 1 before 2 pm, more than 15 hours after the boy was seen and filmed for the first time. last time while leaving the Cheeky Monkey Bar.

Why ? During a previous search, a dog accompanying the volunteers had a weird behavior. Usually very obedient, Princess left the group and disappeared for an hour, despite reminders from her master. What did she find? The barking made it possible to delimit a certain zone located in the sector of the last signal of the smartphone, and this was the objective of the new researches. The place is difficult to access, the bush both steep and infested with snakes. The organizers recommended everyone to bring sticks and boots.

What we are looking for is everything that can be related to Theo, and especially his smartphone, an Oppo R17.

As a reminder, on Friday, May 31, Theo, who arrived two days earlier at Byron Bay, buys a bottle at 19:15 in the Northern Bottle Store. At 11 pm, Theo leaves the bar Cheeky Monkey to, logically, walk to the Wake Up hostel where he stays but will not arrive, in any case will not use the key to his room.

Filmed at the exit of the Monkey, we see him walking, alone, well determined. He had to arrive at the inn before midnight.

No more camera will film it. But at midnight 20, he (at least: his mobile phone) sends a WhatsApp message to a friend.

It's a weekend night. If the agglomeration has less than 5,000 inhabitants, there is animation. How was he able to disappear in the city? The mystery is amazing.

The last ping issued fifteen hours later does not imply that the phone was still in the hands of Theo. No camera filmed him walking towards Byron Bay Cape which is opposite the Inn.

If the signal is emitted from the lighthouse area, is it not because Theo is anywhere except there? The investigation is continuing. It involves all vehicles filmed at Byron Bay the night of the disappearance and the next day Saturday after 2 pm.

Gilbert Dupont

Still very active posts more for looking for volunteers and coordinating search areas.

That's about it.

I’m so glad about the continued assistance locals in Byron Bay are providing it is so great so many people care about Theo and finding him. I can’t imagine what Theo’s loved ones are going through.

Théo’s dad says he’ll be back

It’s six weeks today since Belgian backpacker Théo Hayez disappeared during a night out in Byron Bay, and after weeks of searching, his parents Vinciane Delforge and Laurent Hayez will head home to Belgium tomorrow.

Echonetdaily spoke to Laurent who said he will be back in Australia soon. ‘We are leaving on Saturday,’ he said. ‘It is important that we go home and see family and spend time with Théo’s little brother Lucas.’

Laurent said this is not the end of the search for him, he will be back soon.

Laurent, Vinciane and Théo’s cousin Lisa have become very much part of the Byron Shire community in recent weeks and they are beyond grateful for the love and support and physical help they have received.

With the aid of the locals they have tirelessly scoured the area looking for any trace of Théo, but Laurent says it’s time to go home and connect with family and regroup before returning to Byron Bay. ‘This is not the end. I will be back in early August and will continue looking for Théo.’

Théo was last seen about 11pm on Friday May 31 at Cheeky Monkey’s on Jonson Street. If you have any information, no matter how insignificant you think it might be, even if you just saw a glimpse of Théo on the night of May 31 or the previous few days, the family implore you to make contact. Any and all details can help in the overall ongoing investigation.

Anyone with any information about Théo is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report crime via NSW Police social media pages.

I’m so glad about the continued assistance locals in Byron Bay are providing it is so great so many people care about Theo and finding him. I can’t imagine what Theo’s loved ones are going through.
It must be so hard for them to go home, still not knowing the answers they need. Knowing they must return to continue searching.

That's why, as sad as it is to find the remains, it is always still a bit of a relief in my mind--that the family and friends at least have recovered their missing loved one.:(

Another young guy missing, this time in Marysville Victoria. Hope they find him.
I still think it was a bit odd that Theo's hostel didn't raise the alarm sooner. I sometimes wonder if there could be some connection there.
And interesting to read the previous translated article from Belgium about how they have looked at all the cars in the area at the time.
So sad and frustrating that things seem to have come to the end of the line for now.

So I was in Byron Bay yesterday and decided whilst there to do a drive around the key areas of Theo. First place I went was CM. I parked had a walk to front door (On the corner Kingsley and Johnson) I can confirm that this was the entry that we saw him standing in in the CCTV outside lining up and that second image that we saw him in that apeared to have a counter in it and timber door frames. That is the reception desk as you walk in. The front door had such an overload of rules of how you get kicked out (pictures attached) and how you also get fined if you remain within 50m of the premises after being asked to leave. So in the CCTV of him leaving he turns out of CM left and left again into Kingsley St which is the oppiste direction of the hostel. There are CCTV cameras at the entry of CM and on the corner of CM.

I then went up Shirley slowly, saw Aloha. I could not locate the CCTV cameras as had cars up my rear but only way that I could see that a camera could have seen him if he did turn into Dryden would be if they were on the front gate on Shirley Rd or the gate on Dryden. After going along Dryden there comes the Byron railyway track. This goes the whole way along the back of the Kendall, Childe and Border Street. From what could see appears a shortcut along the back the hostels though not a huge shortcut. This track also has a rail bridge over Belongil Creek. I am not sure of the police searched all this area including creek and bush around the bridge? I drove from Shirley Rd to the lighthouse / Cape Byron. Anyone at that hour in the cold, had a couple drinks, I cannnot imagine would by foot even think walking that distance to the lighthouse. It is steep at the end, lots bush and so far from The hostel. After driving up there I cannot comprehend Theo even if he was drunk attempting to walk up there in the freezing cold and dark purely as it was just so far away. After seeing the bush and drops from up the top I would have throught someone if they fell would be found below. It felt really sad and eerie to have stood where poor Theo once stood expecting to have the time of his life at the entry to CM, instead I like so many others are left wondering, how he disapeared without a trace. Sorry it was long. I truely feel sad for his family and loved ones, I just cant comprehend what happened between Aloha and Wake up, Truely so sad. Where did he go....

Attachments

• IMG_5394.jpg
    IMG_5394.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5397.jpg
    IMG_5397.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5398.jpg
    IMG_5398.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 45
Interesting, potentially similar circumstance to Theo....maybe.....

Bones discovered on a beach on the NSW mid-north coast belong to missing French backpacker Erwan Ferrieux, police say.

Mr Ferrieux, 21, was reported missing in February along with British tourist Hugo Palmer, 20.

Walkers discovered items belonging to the two friends near the shore at Shelly Beach about 6.30am on February 18.

Their rental car was later traced to a car park nearby. It contained personal items, including the two men’s travel documents.

Searches of land and water failed to locate the men. Police believed they may have drowned after entering rough seas the night before.

Backpacker’s bones found on beach

Interesting, potentially similar circumstance to Theo....maybe.....

Backpacker’s bones found on beach
Capture+_2019-07-15-15-35-11.png
Where the bones were found is just 1.5km from where their car was found. Not much ocean current drift in 4 months.

I am glad for the family, at least there is certainty now that his bones were found. But sad.

If Theo also went into the water, for whatever reason, there is also chance that something will be washed up one day. Byron Bay is hundreds of km from Port Macquarie though.

So I was in Byron Bay yesterday and decided whilst there to do a drive around the key areas of Theo. First place I went was CM. I parked had a walk to front door (On the corner Kingsley and Johnson) I can confirm that this was the entry that we saw him standing in in the CCTV outside lining up and that second image that we saw him in that apeared to have a counter in it and timber door frames. That is the reception desk as you walk in. The front door had such an overload of rules of how you get kicked out (pictures attached) and how you also get fined if you remain within 50m of the premises after being asked to leave. So in the CCTV of him leaving he turns out of CM left and left again into Kingsley St which is the oppiste direction of the hostel. There are CCTV cameras at the entry of CM and on the corner of CM.

I then went up Shirley slowly, saw Aloha. I could not locate the CCTV cameras as had cars up my rear but only way that I could see that a camera could have seen him if he did turn into Dryden would be if they were on the front gate on Shirley Rd or the gate on Dryden. After going along Dryden there comes the Byron railyway track. This goes the whole way along the back of the Kendall, Childe and Border Street. From what could see appears a shortcut along the back the hostels though not a huge shortcut. This track also has a rail bridge over Belongil Creek. I am not sure of the police searched all this area including creek and bush around the bridge? I drove from Shirley Rd to the lighthouse / Cape Byron. Anyone at that hour in the cold, had a couple drinks, I cannnot imagine would by foot even think walking that distance to the lighthouse. It is steep at the end, lots bush and so far from The hostel. After driving up there I cannot comprehend Theo even if he was drunk attempting to walk up there in the freezing cold and dark purely as it was just so far away. After seeing the bush and drops from up the top I would have throught someone if they fell would be found below. It felt really sad and eerie to have stood where poor Theo once stood expecting to have the time of his life at the entry to CM, instead I like so many others are left wondering, how he disapeared without a trace. Sorry it was long. I truely feel sad for his family and loved ones, I just cant comprehend what happened between Aloha and Wake up, Truely so sad. Where did he go....
Good job! Thanks for the pics too.

FYI I walked the same routes as you (drove) a few years back. It was like you said.

But I think there are walking trails that are away from the car access road. Maybe you can ask a local what is the usual track to go up to the lighthouse - if you're interested!

Good job! Thanks for the pics too.

FYI I walked the same routes as you (drove) a few years back. It was like you said.

But I think there are walking trails that are away from the car access road. Maybe you can ask a local what is the usual track to go up to the lighthouse - if you're interested!

No problem :) Was good to get an understanding where everything was. I dont go to town that often but was passing so thought would check it out. Not sure on the walking tracks but good point I might ask. There seem to be afew tracks but teh Cape Byron track seems to be the number one. He was just so close to his hostel. So hard to comprehend, it just never made it there.

But I think there are walking trails that are away from the car access road.
You can go up along the beach to The Pass then cross over to Wategoes via a trail and at the end of Wategoes there's another trail up to the Lighthouse.
From The Pass to Wategoes and the bushland around there was the focus of some searches. That's one area it was suspected the phone had pinged from.
From CM there's a route over to Tallow Beach with two walking tracks that come out south of the car park. Big haul up to the lighthouse from there but it's done. A young guy fell doing it not long ago during daylight and his mother launched a campaign to get more warning signs up. There's a lot of rescues there of people who have fallen. So, it's treacherous even during the day.

Has anyone stood outside the doors to CM and used a navigation app to find the quickest walking route to the lighthouse? Maybe going left down Kingsley was the start of the quickest route. Then maybe down Tennyson (police have asked for footage from here) and the maybe some walking tracks from the end of Tennyson (from the Byron Bay Recreational Grounds) through to Cowper then Massinger and so on. I suppose this has already been looked at and those areas searched thoroughly but at least it would make sense why he turned into Kingsley perhaps. But lets get real, why would someone want to go to the lighthouse at that time and without a buddy or girl or a bunch of mates just on your own? The only reason would be to gaze at the moon and write some nice poetry. Better off going the next day. After a fun BBQ at the hostel earlier and a few happy drinks why would someone want to take a long cold walk to a lonely lighthouse? If he did go on his own on purpose then unfortunately I would worry about his state of mind to do such a thing.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...ved-to-be-missing-backpacker-ng-s-1955614.amp

I was beaten to it. Crazy!! But the sharks and rips around the beaches this part of Australia are common incidents that cause dissapearances and concern.

I heard from a source that was part of the search party that it is believed that Theo was picked up from a location in a car and also the sun can cause phones to ping. Interesting information but could potentially be a rumour. coming from someone I know that’s been very involved with the search also confirms that police are still investigating his phone situation and when Theo’s father returns, it will be certain that the search will continue with locals and volunteers

Last edited:
I have visited Byron Bay many, many times for holidays in my teens, 20s, 30s and 40s and know the area well and feel a strong connection with Theo as many do. I have even stayed in a lighthouse cottage once lucky me! Pure speculation, but if I was Theo, aggrieved from being separated from his companions at Cheeky Monkey's (shame on the management practices of that place) not ready to call it a night, and knowing he only had a few days left at the symbolic and actual eastern most point of Australia and, the most beautiful place in our country, I would be drawn to the beach for a stroll to do a little more sightseeing. It was low tide at 12.41 am that night, and we know he headed north-east of the town centre. My feeling is that he is not seen on any more CCTV footage because he was primarily walking along the main beach/coastline and at low tide you can, and I have done, walk on the sand/or part climb the sharp rocks at The Pass/Fisherman's Lookout and if desired, keep going all the way to Little Wategos Beach and then up to the lighthouse. I have sketched up my thoughts on his movements and what likely happened to him. I don't believe he went looking for drugs, was kidnapped or tried to meet up with a stranger, or that he even made it past the rocks at the end of the main beach. The only bad vibe I have seen in Byron Bay town centre was a gang with a baseball bat in one of e carparks late one evening but that was 10+ years ago. As may be the case with Theo, I took many more risks in my teens and twenties. I was strong and fit, would scale the dangerous sharp rocks to get to King's Beach as it was a quicker, shorter route. Body surfing far further out than most, on my own there and anywhere, fighting rips and huge waves. I had my whole childhood and youth to explore and learn how to protect myself and love our natural coastline. Unfortunately for foreign tourists, they will not have this foresight, and a few drinks added to the mix, plus the dark of the night exploring the coastline away from the main beach is not a great idea. I wish and hope Theo is alive but I wanted to let his family know that I can put myself in his shoes and imagine what might have happened that night and if correct, I am sorry for the appalling circumstances that lead to this. See attached Theo Map.pdf file marked up with my thoughts....

Attachments

• Theo map.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Another young guy missing, this time in Marysville Victoria. Hope they find him.
I still think it was a bit odd that Theo's hostel didn't raise the alarm sooner. I sometimes wonder if there could be some connection there.
And interesting to read the previous translated article from Belgium about how they have looked at all the cars in the area at the time.
So sad and frustrating that things seem to have come to the end of the line for now.

Yeah. I find this Marysville case a little interesting. I've been without internet for a week now. Is there a massive search party for the guy that went missing in Marysville? Apparently, there was an argument at a business and he just walked away. Now he is missing. Seems a bit weird. Guess he could've gone bushwalking and got lost??

Yeah. I find this Marysville case a little interesting. I've been without internet for a week now. Is there a massive search party for the guy that went missing in Marysville? Apparently, there was an argument at a business and he just walked away. Now he is missing. Seems a bit weird. Guess he could've gone bushwalking and got lost??
Sadly they found his body yesterday morning. They said there are no suspicious circumstances. Very sad as his friends had not told his family in India he was lost and were hoping to find him first. It did get me thinking though, that they searched for a few days and found him but with Theo the search has been so massive, so long and so thorough and is still going whenever they can, and they still can't find him! I don't think there has ever been such a large search for someone like this without finding the person? So there is obviously more to it and he's not just simply lost or injured somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993