Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #17 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your support and messages these last few weeks. I have some catching up to do on here...

Not sure if this has been posted/discussed (redirection would be appreciated) but interested to hear opinions or thoughts in regards to probability for this.
"
“There is no way AJ can get a fair trial in Utah considering the racial disparity over there,” said Fashakin. Charges have not been filed yet, but once they are, Fashakin is going to work to get the trial moved out of state."

Family of suspect in MacKenzie Lueck case worried about possibility of fair trial in SLC

Murder is under the state, so it will not be moved out of state. That has been discussed and we pretty much all agree that that is not going to happen, because the only exception was if it had federal charges which is doubtful.

The statement is misinformation, as a jury of your peers is not 30 year old black men who are from another country. That was just a quote that was done by somebody that was a family friend who is a lawyer in New York. Not even somebody that is representing him.

Typical misinformation from a lawyer who is trying to defend somebody who is guilty m o o

Very sorry about your friend. :(

I can't remember where we discussed this, but we never saw any actual proof she had been hired as an attorney. Seemed to be more of a spokesperson/family friend engaged by his mother. Also, moving the trial out of state is pretty far-fetched. We thought she seemed to be grasping at straws.

Edited to add: She's an immigration/human rights attorney who is licensed in New York. She'd be useless in a criminal case in Utah. That's just simply not her qualifications/specialty, though she ignored that herself.

That's what I was thinking and figured it had been discussed here in depth. Thanks for the insight/sumary!

Thank you all for your support and messages these last few weeks. I have some catching up to do on here...

Not sure if this has been posted/discussed (redirection would be appreciated) but interested to hear opinions or thoughts in regards to probability for this.
"
“There is no way AJ can get a fair trial in Utah considering the racial disparity over there,” said Fashakin. Charges have not been filed yet, but once they are, Fashakin is going to work to get the trial moved out of state."

Family of suspect in MacKenzie Lueck case worried about possibility of fair trial in SLC
That is absolutely ridiculous. The trial can not be moved out of Utah. That an experienced criminal defense attorney would make that statement is just stunning to me.

ABC4 News on Twitter
Former prosecutor says Mackenzie Lueck murder case is ‘lacking an eyewitness’ https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/former-prosecutor-says-mackenzie-lueck-murder-case-is-lacking-an-eyewitness/ …
D_M_2fGW4AAXKxo.jpg

9:00 AM - 11 Jul 2019

ETA: Sorry - late edit as I first posted the wrong tweet! (From 10 pm last night instead of 10 am this morning.) :oops:

““Is this truly all they have?” said Morgan.”

Rofl

No, seriously, how stupid does he think the news station’s audience is? If eyewitnesses were necessary for murder convictions, there wouldn’t be many murder convictions.

That is absolutely ridiculous. The trial can not be moved out of Utah. That an experienced criminal defense attorney would make that statement is just stunning to me.
Well, she wasn't an experienced criminal defense attorney. Her specialty is immigration/human rights. Though you'd think she had to sit through basic criminal procedure in law school and would still know better.

That's what I was thinking and figured it had been discussed here in depth. Thanks for the insight/sumary!
You're welcome!

Also, IMO, SLCPD have done themselves and the case a serious favor by keeping a lid on their investigation. They've controlled the release of information and haven't had leaks and have always been very professional. I think an attorney would have a hard time claiming they've been unprofessional. I've actually been really impressed with them.

Deleted messages are completely accessible. I’m sure the FBI has even more resources to do this, but for anyone else even you and I all that’s needed is the Apple ID and password—which are likely obtainable with the warrants they have requested. For any parents out there interested in this technology, look up a company called teensafe. Reading kids' deleted texts: There's an app for that. Should you use it?

The app you link too copies texts etc to a site.

In contrast, Apple and Samsung store text messages locally on RAM. It may be backed up on iCloud etc. But if AA deletes the messages off his phone and any backup storage, it's a matter of recovering it off the RAM on the phone. That RAM will almost certainly have been written over by something else and, if so, may not be recoverable.

I wonder if this is a clue that it was not premeditated?

Premeditation doesn't require that he planned it before he picked her up. Premeditation can be short.

Well, she wasn't an experienced criminal defense attorney. Her specialty is immigration/human rights. Though you'd think she had to sit through basic criminal procedure in law school and would still know better.
The article says she is a criminal defense attorney with 20 years experience. But regardless, she should know that a state trial can't be moved out of the state.

““Is this truly all they have?” said Morgan.”

Rofl

No, seriously, how stupid does he think the news station’s audience is? If eyewitnesses were necessary for murder convictions, there wouldn’t be many murder convictions.
And there are a few murder convictions that have been overturned BECAUSE of faulty eyewitness testimony.

Not sure is experienced at much ....she hasn't been practicing long. And I think she went to a part time night law school.

Apparently AA's mother in Nigeria reached out to her. His mother said he was very hard working and she doesn't believe the things that are said about him on the news. She said he would never do this.
So I think the family lawyer friend was just making a statement to be supportive. We probably won't hear from her again. Imo

What kind of "rough sex" involves getting bashed in the side of the head with an object? It wasn't like choking or drugs or something that might actually occur during "rough sex." He's going to have a hard time with that defense. MOO
I think he very well could offer up a defense that they were engaged in some sort of bondage sex act and she was accidentally killed, and then he panicked. I'm not saying a jury would buy it, but i wouldn't be surprised if that is what he claims. Especially if the texts between them earlier would support that. I really would like to know what those texts say. I think those texts hold the key to what happened.

Very sorry about your friend. :(

I can't remember where we discussed this, but we never saw any actual proof she had been hired as an attorney. Seemed to be more of a spokesperson/family friend engaged by his mother. Also, moving the trial out of state is pretty far-fetched. We thought she seemed to be grasping at straws.

Edited to add: She's an immigration/human rights attorney who is licensed in New York. She'd be useless in a criminal case in Utah. That's just simply not her qualifications/specialty, though she ignored that herself.

I’d been holding off on posting about Janet because we’d gone quiet on that front... but it’s also of note that she appears to be finally doing the smart thing and distancing herself from that mess. She’s deleted a lot of her posts on Facebook (especially her law firm’s page) defending him. She hasn’t made any contradictory statements showing a change in heart since was what posted last but she definitely has deleted a lot of the supportive content with argument *advertiser censored*-shows in the comments.

I feel they knew each other in some capacity prior to Jun 17. He's a liar/con man. She is smart but probably a little naive - I hardly doubt she 'investigated' him to the extent we all know of his history. She communicated with him through the time of her grandmother's funeral. I think he played on that and suggested to her if she wants some peace and quiet after the funeral and before her exams that he has an airbnb. It would not surprise me if he showed her pictures of the upstairs part that was renovated. He may have offered it to her for a few days. He may have used a simple excuse to say he doesn't live/stay there but he'll meet her at Hatch Park and drop her at the airbnb home & unlock the doors etc and she can have the place to herself for a day or 2. That may have been the SD lure or perk. For whatever reason she trusted him enough to meet him. I feel once he got her inside the home - is when his real motives began to play out. I do not feel there was any struggle at Hatch Park, simply because its in public view and no one knows who is out there as a potential witness - it could be someone glancing out their window or walking down the street who the 'perp' wouldn't notice..

To me, what we know already makes this a very strong case. Not a slam dunk, as no murder case ever is, but still, an exceptionally strong forensic case.

I know that some people in Utah are questioning whether the DA released too much information and may have polluted the jury pool. I have spent quite a bit of time in courtrooms for jury selection and these days, judges are taking a dim view of "jury pollution by media." They ask questions such as "Can you put aside all bias, including anything you've heard via media, in order to make a decision based only on facts as presented in this court?" Most people, when asked that question while sitting in the jury box, will say "Yes," even if they're trying to get off jury duty. Some people will say "No" and judges sometimes interrogate that person a little further, and sternly (but they have always been excused in every case I've followed).

My own concern is that if the DA releases much more information (I predict he won't), criminals will become too aware of their digital footprints and other methods that LE now has for figuring out what they are up to.

Proviso: my courtroom experience is mainly in California but I do correspond with jury consultants in other states.

I'm not into any wild stuff and I have zip ties of every size and length. I also have a lot of different types of rope. I don't see how a homeowner wouldn't have this.

Me too. Unless you consider gardening, reef tanks and home repairs wild. I've even ordered a specific length and color zipties online before. I have several types of rope and string too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson