WA WA - Nancy Moyer, 36, Tenino, 6 March 2009

I'm trying to understand how this evolved. Did the podcast producers find new information that broke the case?

I don't think this new development has anything to do with the podcast, there would be a press conference today for this case, we will know more then

From the KOMO link:

"But now, the Thurston County Sheriff's Office is crediting a new lead in the case to the recent national attention after a true crime podcast covered the disappearance. The lead brought new information to light and detectives searched a residence in the 16500 block of Sheldon Lane SW outside of Tenino. The podcast, Hide and Seek, confirmed their podcast covering the case is what lead to the arrest. “We've applied enough pressure where we've had new information come forward,” said James Baysinger, creator of Hide and Seek. “Also, now we're in a position where someone is coming forward saying they can't stand the guilt of what they've done and now they want to come forward and share what they've done.""

New information in 2009 Thurston County disappearance leads to arrest

Sounds like Eric Roberts made some statements to LE which sound like a confession.

The producers of the podcast spoke to Eric Roberts, it sounds like this is what may have caused him to make statements to TCSO. He is a POI, arrested for "suspicion of murder".He will appear in court today at 3:00 PM. He has a criminal record for Domestic Violence, currently has a warrant out in Snohomish County for 4th degree DV.

Bill & Samantha Moyer spoke also. Bill says the family is cautiously optimistic. He did not know Eric Roberts, or realize Roberts worked with Nancy. May have waved at the mailboxes but that was it. Samantha said "growing up without a Mom sucks, especially when you don't know where she is".

Nancy has not been located yet, the home being searched is located on 5 acres.

I watched the Disappeared episode again last night, broke my heart seeing Nancy’s daughter on there, no kid should ever have to go through this. I wonder what exactly happened. On the show they said they thought her front door was left open either in the late evening or early morning due to the temperature spike they saw. Did the suspect come knocking on her door late for some reason? With the door believing left open, it makes me wonder if he knocked on the door and immediately grabbed her?

My impression is Eric Roberts turned himself in, because the Sheriff said someone in that house talked and provided the new lead

Keith Eldridge‏Verified account @KeithKOMO4 41m41 minutes ago
Eric Roberts charged with the murder of Nancy Moyer who disappeared 10 years ago from her Tenino home. Roberts called 911 to say he did it, according to court papers. He said it was an accidental choking during intimate relations. Her body hasn’t been found. $2mil bail. #komonews

D_OhkyTU4AAzev8.jpg

Accidental choking during sexual relations? Only one glass of wine on the table, TV was on, front door was open.

I guess it could have been a consensual sexual encounter that went wrong, but it would seem more like someone came to the door. Nancy answered, stepped outside and was taken from the home.

Eric Roberts has been convicted and has an outstanding warrant for domestic violence, Nancy was so tiny and would be easily overpowered. I guess we'll see how this progresses in terms of his recanting the confession.

The man detained by police in the disappearance of Nancy Moyer told investigators he killed her during 'rough sex' then later recanted his confession.

Court documents say 53-year-old Eric Lee Roberts, a coworker of Moyer's, called 911 at about 3 p.m. on Tuesday to "...say he wanted to confess to a murder." When the operator asked what murder, he said that he had killed Nancy Moyer 10 years ago and felt tired of holding it inside.

A detective went to Roberts' house and interviewed him in his squad car. The court documents said Roberts told the detective he had killed Moyer at his house, that they were having 'rough sex' and he accidentally strangled her with a scarf.

Detectives have been poring over the Roberts' home in the 16500 block of Shelton Lane SW for two days and have located some items of evidence that have been sent to the Washington State Patrol lab for analysis.

Detectives asked Roberts about the whereabouts of Moyer's body but he told them he didn't think it would ever be found. The court documents say Roberts cryptically indicated deputies should look in the area of a fire pit in his back yard and his basement but no body has been found.

Then on Wednesday, Roberts recanted saying he didn't know why he said he killed Moyer.

Man confesses to killing Nancy Moyer in 2009 then recants, court documents say

I call bs. Why would she go to his house without so much as her purse or phone and leave all her house lights on and front door open?? Doesn’t make sense. It angers me that he is trying to sully the image of this poor woman who was most likely a victim of homicide and left behind two children.

The news reports I have read are terribly written. Disjointed.

After 10 years of watching this case closely it’s a disappointment, and must be incredibly difficult for her children.

At least he is still in jail with a high bail and recanting may be false. Hopefully they can sort this out.

It’s one of those cases that has haunted me, along with Shantina Smiley (my daughter lived there at the time).

This article has a lot of info from the court documents: ‘I Don’t Think Anyone Will Be Able to Find Her’: Man Calls 911, Confesses to Killing Nancy Moyer

A few things:

"Roberts has previously been questioned in connection to Moyer’s disappearance. He lived only a few houses down from the Moyer family before Nancy Moyer moved to Tenino, and worked with Moyer at the state Department of Ecology."

"Wednesday wasn’t the first time Roberts had been interviewed or investigated in connection to Moyer’s disappearance. In May 2009, less than two months after Moyer’s disappearance, he told detectives she dated his nephew, and that he worked with her at the state Department of Ecology. Mr. Roberts stated that when he did arrive at work he would walk into the building with Nancy Moyer and would exchange pleasantries,” according to court documents. “He would also visit her occasionally at her work station as she was performing his various duties. Roberts claimed he had never dated Nancy Moyer and was clear she had never been to his home.”

When detectives arrived at ER's house, after the 911 call:
“He was crying, clenching and unclenching his fists, and wringing his hands,” the probable cause report reads. Roberts made a recorded statement in Det. Hamilton’s vehicle. He reported on the recorded statement, “I killed her,” and said Moyer attacked him and he “reacted.” He initially reported killing her near the Chehalis River. He went on to say he and Moyer had a sexual relationship. Detectives asked where to find Moyer’s body, and Roberts’ response was cagey."

After the recorder was turned off, ER appeared to relax, "He turned towards Det. Hamilton and relaxed his muscles as he changed his story to tell Hamilton he actually killed Nancy in his house,” according to court documents. He went on to say they had “rough sex” and that he strangled Moyer with a scarf, killing her unintentionally. He told detectives he was using drugs and alcohol and said he didn’t realize at first that she was dead."

Lots more at the link. This guy lies like a cheap toupee.

The news reports I have read are terribly written. Disjointed.

After 10 years of watching this case closely it’s a disappointment, and must be incredibly difficult for her children.

At least he is still in jail with a high bail and recanting may be false. Hopefully they can sort this out.

It’s one of those cases that has haunted me, along with Shantina Smiley (my daughter lived there at the time).

I haven't thought about the Shantina Smiley case in a minute.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back