Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #5 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also curious about use of the words "body found in unnatural position" and found some history under "Principles and Practices of Medical Jurisprudence."

What stuck with me was the position body found could only be explained on the supposition of murderous interference.

Incompatible with an accident or suicide.

I think about a victim that dies while defending themselves -- fist clenched, maybe even with a handful of hair. Even if the body moved, the posture at moment of death can be preserved and passes to rigidity. I've also read where screaming victims body recovered with jaw fixed open.

What is the phrase-- "dead bodies tell no lies."

I agree, ME used that aged description for a reason.

MOO

Rigor mortis passes away quickly. I don’t feel like thinking about decomposition, but I’m sure she’s been dead for six months.... I don’t think what you’re visualizing is possible.

MOO

I need to go back and look at the images of the outbuilding behind the house. At our old farm we had an orchard and raised most of our vegetables for the year. Inside our outbuildings, we dug holes and put non working chest freezers inside them. When the freezers were closed, the lid was level with the top of the dirt floor. We stored our apples, potatoes, cabbages etc. in these freezers. Our grandparents did the same. A lot of old timers did it using different containers for the storage. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar situation in that outbuilding if it has a dirt floor in it. If the container was no longer used, it would be simple to stack tools or whatever on top of it and no one would know it was there. All JMO.

Yes this is what I was trying to say earlier. I can believe she was underground just not buried in the traditional sense.

Maybe even just a root cellar, wouldn't have to be a chest freezer or anything in there. Just a cold dirt area underneath the building.

A hole already there, easy enough to access, maybe even underneath something else. I'm just still not sure if that would have delayed the smell for this long.

Maybe Dad moved something that hasn't been moved (by him) in years and that's when the smell hit him.

Which is why I wonder if she was underneath something else. Like maybe underneath a chest freezer that was underground? Something that you would not anticipate being removed so might think it safe to put her under there.

Would being that far underground trap/delay the smell?

That explains him involving an attorney. I thought maybe it was a neighbor or friend that either saw heard ,or maybe smelled something, and wanted to make sure they were protected. Good for that dad for not covering up for his kid.

Absolutely. He didn't give his son a heads up to move the body, or do it himself, he reported it. Extremely refreshing to see that.

Last edited:
Rigor mortis passes away quickly. I don’t feel like thinking about decomposition, but I’m sure she’s been dead for six months.... I don’t think what you’re visualizing is possible.

MOO

I specifically avoided the term "rigor mortis" to avoid misunderstanding.

Human body has a tendency to relax upon death, before rigor mortis, after death, which involves stiffening of the tissues. However, if a hand or jaw is not sufficiently relaxed before rigor, it would be difficult to get the clenched fingers open, or the jaw closed.

My example is not specific to SS -- but discussion on medical jurisprudence and/or the term "body found in unnatural position."

MOO

Exactly why I think a chest freezer was involved. The perp moved back home and could have had a chest freezer in his apartment. That would not look suspicious on camera as he was moving out. Then he gets to his parents house, which has already been searched, and puts the freezer in the shed. Who helped him move? His brother? A moving company?

I think a freezer may have been used at some point also. I still find it strange that they just started smelling something, especially since it sounds like she was buried pretty shallow and not deep. We’ve had hot, summer weather for a couple months up to this point. The video I’m including is from WHAS11. They mention towards the end that the dad’s church was also searched and also mention a deep freezer at the church.

I think a freezer may have been used at some point also. I still find it strange that they just started smelling something, especially since it sounds like she was buried pretty shallow and not deep. We’ve had hot, summer weather for a couple months up to this point. The video I’m including is from WHAS11. They mention towards the end that the dad’s church was also searched and also mention a deep freezer at the church.

Great find. I’m sure LE has already checked to see if the church has cameras. Someone mentioned a root cellar too and that is a distinct possibility, if they had a big enough cooler, and could maneuver it into the root cellar.

Great find. I’m sure LE has already checked to see if the church has cameras. Someone mentioned a root cellar too and that is a distinct possibility, if they had a big enough cooler, and could maneuver it into the root cellar.

If he/they had cooled the cooler and it was sealed, the recent heat wave may have triggered gases could have popped open the top.

A freezer or something pretty airtight might held off the smell without needing electricity. With summer weather that might have changed. I wonder if the dad suspected his son before.

I think it's great the dad didn't cover for his son. The one article I read said that DS was represented by a public defender. If that's the case it doesn't sound like his parents are helping him with legal counsel.

So the smell was bad. Probably had been smelling and got worse. Smelled enough for the dad to call his attorney but not bad enough to bother the son!

Above BBM for focus. I think the dad had suspicions. I also think the dad had talked to an attorney after the first search. I think most attorneys would have counseled the dad to call him/her if anything was strange AND not talk to the son. The attorney would want to act in the best interest of the dad. If dad had talked to son and dad might have faced repercussions-- son harming him as to not to tell, son harming him and his wife, son harming self, son moving the body and it not being found, father seen as an accessory after the fact by LE. Dad did this right by letting the attorney handle it. LE did it right by getting a warrant to search as to not have any question in the future about the introduction of the evidence found there.

His fathers FORMER church.
Not his family's but his fathers.

Is his father clergy?
Is the church no longer occupied?
It definitely looks abandoned but so doesn't my house.

If yes to both, we may have our answers.
Maybe he did keep her in a freezer.

This is going to sound bad no matter how I say it... did they hunt? Could he have put a large item in the freezer claiming it was venison or something?

Then later moved it maybe when power was going to be shut off at the church building?

Amazingly stupid.
It doesn't surprise me that LE could smell it, they are familiar with the smell. But it sure is strange there still was a smell...

Above BBM for focus. I think the dad had suspicions. I also think the dad had talked to an attorney after the first search. I think most attorneys would have counseled the dad to call him/her if anything was strange AND not talk to the son. The attorney would want to act in the best interest of the dad. If dad had talked to son and dad might have faced repercussions-- son harming him as to not to tell, son harming him and his wife, son harming self, son moving the body and it not being found, father seen as an accessory after the fact by LE. Dad did this right by letting the attorney handle it. LE did it right by getting a warrant to search as to not have any question in the future about the introduction of the evidence found there.

This sounds very reasonable. Imagine living with someone you had suspicions about. Didn't he move home after her disappearance?

So the smell was bad. Probably had been smelling and got worse. Smelled enough for the dad to call his attorney but not bad enough to bother the son!

Report cites suspect's dad church was previously searched. Don't know if he's the church minister or just church member.

Savannah's dad Cecil also reached out to suspect's parents in his last interview.

"That’s my new job in life, to make sure those boys are happy and taken care of," he said. "That’s my job."

He said he is also praying for Sparks' parents.

"Out of everything I’ve heard they’re good people and I feel bad for them," he said. "I know this is a hard time for them."

His fathers FORMER church.
Not his family's but his fathers.

Is his father clergy?
Is the church no longer occupied?
It definitely looks abandoned but so doesn't my house.

If yes to both, we may have our answers.
Maybe he did keep her in a freezer.

This is going to sound bad no matter how I say it... did they hunt? Could he have put a large item in the freezer claiming it was venison or something?

Then later moved it maybe when power was going to be shut off at the church building?

Amazingly stupid.
It doesn't surprise me that LE could smell it, they are familiar with the smell. But it sure is strange there still was a smell...

I’m not sure if the church is operational anymore or not. I hadn’t even picked up on “former” church when i watched it. He was/maybe still is a pastor.

Could she have been in a chest type freezer and thus no odor until recently when maybe it was moved, or was unplugged?

I really do think she was in a freezer up until a certain point. In one of the articles posted, they said that they believed she had been in the shallow grave for a while. They didn’t say how long though and it’s been 6 months since she’s been missing. I wouldn’t be surprised if she was in a freezer for a couple months and then moved.

When she first went missing, the following weeks were cold. Like, REALLY cold. We had an Arctic blast come through and the ground was frozen for a while. Even CCSAR had to stop searching with the dogs for a day or two because the cold air could mess up their noses. We also had a lot of rain and some flooding in that area.

If she were out there that whole time, I think he would’ve smelled her before these past couple of weeks. It’s been summer and extremely humid for a while now. I noticed a pool in the backyard during one of the videos. If people were using that pool, I really think they’d have been able to smell it before now.

I was also curious about use of the words "body found in unnatural position" and found some history under "Principles and Practices of Medical Jurisprudence."

What stuck with me was the position body found could only be explained on the supposition of murderous interference.

Incompatible with an accident or suicide.

I think about a victim that dies while defending themselves -- fist clenched, maybe even with a handful of hair. Even if the body moved, the posture at moment of death can be preserved and passes to rigidity. I've also read where screaming victims body recovered with jaw fixed open.

What is the phrase-- "dead bodies tell no lies."

I agree, ME used that aged description for a reason.

MOO

At Thursday’s KSP press conference, during Q&A, specifically asked what the term meant “found in unnatural position”. JMO, but spokesperson looked a bit confused, like he wasn’t aware of that description being provided to media. His response made it sound to be insignificant, remains not found in normal or natural setting such as in a cemetery, inside a casket. Curious how anyone else perceived.

At Thursday’s KSP press conference, during Q&A, specifically asked what the term meant “found in unnatural position”. JMO, but spokesperson looked a bit confused, like he wasn’t aware of that description being provided to media. His response made it sound to be insignificant, remains not found in normal or natural setting such as in a cemetery, inside a casket. Curious how anyone else perceived.

I noticed his reaction and I drew the same conclusion—that it didn’t amount to much. I think that if it meant anything they didn’t want to talk about, they’d have given one of those: “we cannot discuss at this stage of the investigation” responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage