ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Serenity, where are you?

If you're out there scared, tired, lonely, confused, hurting, wondering or any thing else that takes your beautiful smile away, please, please, please know that it's okay to reach out to any nearby police, fire dept., school, hospital, or practically any legit business like grocery stores, gas stations. Any place like those will help you. You're very loved, little lady. This can all be fixed. I'm confident telling you that you'll have help and interventions, and resources that you've never dreamed you'd have now that the situation has turned into what it is today.

Please, honey bun, find someone you trust to help you take the first step of going to the proper folks who need to account for your safety and supervision. The whole world now knows you and your struggles. Many millions of people are rooting for you. You're not in "trouble" as you might think. Please trust me that you'll be in good hands but if not you'll have a proper voice trough many who can help you be where ever it is you need to be in order to be happy and healthy.

Please, Serenity, get to safety and if you are already safe, let the authorities know so they can bring you the help you still need. You're loved, my dear.

I just know if I was dropping off or picking up a child that day and saw a child outside I would follow that child and try to lure her into my car. I would be on my cell phone calling the institution that a child was out and about. I don’t understand why this didn’t happen. They had too have known that these kids were not supposed to be wandering the grounds not properly dressed.

Hmm. I wouldn't try and lure her into my car. Children are told not to get into cars with strangers for good reason. Just because you or I mean no harm, doesn't mean other of people who try and lure children into their cars are not to be feared. The child doesn't know which kind of person you are. It's a bad lesson to teach that sometimes it's okay imo. That's what predators pray on. Plus it could just make her want to run in the opposite direction (for behavioural reasons plus some children with certain conditions won't respond even to their names or won't/can't communicate). I'd call the facility and/or emergency services, get a really good description of the child and where they were and where they were headed, if I could I'd hang around to observe but without directly approaching. JMO. YMMV.

Hmm. I wouldn't try and lure her into my car. Children are told not to get into cars with strangers for good reason. Just because you or I mean no harm, doesn't mean other of people who try and lure children into their cars are not to be feared. The child doesn't know which kind of person you are. It's a bad lesson to teach that sometimes it's okay imo. That's what predators pray on. Plus it could just make her want to run in the opposite direction (for behavioural reasons plus some children with certain conditions won't respond even to their names or won't/can't communicate). I'd call the facility and/or emergency services, get a really good description of the child and where they were and where they were headed, if I could I'd hang around to observe but without directly approaching. JMO. YMMV.
I tend to agree. And since the couple was right by the door, they probably figured (and probably were right) that the fastest way to alert the Home was to have one of them duck inside and tell them while the other kept watch, then try to do just that - keep an eye on her. Unfortunately, she disappeared (somewhere ... where?) very quickly and the plan didn't work. Nonetheless, I can't fault that couple for their actions at all.

JUL 12, 2019
Search for Serenity hampered by weather, terrain
[...]

<snipped by me>

The dog handlers continue to report their dogs picking up cadaver scents and that gives searchers hope but with no major discoveries, will there be a time when the effort gets put on hold?
I am guessing that the cadaver dogs can pick up the scent, but can't localize it - that is, they know the scent is there, but they can't put a direction on it or zero in on it. That makes it more difficult, and also more subjective to the wind direction. I think that so long as they keep picking up a scent, the S&R will continue. I sure hope so. They say they keep "eliminating areas".

I tend to agree. And since the couple was right by the door, they probably figured (and probably were right) that the fastest way to alert the Home was to have one of them duck inside and tell them while the other kept watch, then try to do just that - keep an eye on her. Unfortunately, she disappeared (somewhere ... where?) very quickly and the plan didn't work. Nonetheless, I can't fault that couple for their actions at all.
You are both right. I would not lure her in my car, but I WOULD follow her while the other alerted the staff.

I am guessing that the cadaver dogs can pick up the scent, but can't localize it - that is, they know the scent is there, but they can't put a direction on it or zero in on it. That makes it more difficult, and also more subjective to the wind direction. I think that so long as they keep picking up a scent, the S&R will continue. I sure hope so. They say they keep "eliminating areas".

I agree. It’s possible they are picking up on decomp but not the original source. The search must continue and areas cleared. This is meticulous work.

I just know if I was dropping off or picking up a child that day and saw a child outside I would follow that child and try to lure her into my car. I would be on my cell phone calling the institution that a child was out and about. I don’t understand why this didn’t happen. They had too have known that these kids were not supposed to be wandering the grounds not properly dressed.

I believe I understand what you are saying about trying to stop a child from fleeing, and not "lure" the child in the way the word implies.

My Grandmother worked with troubled children in hospitals, day cares, and/or primary schools for as long as I can remember.

She was brilliant at disarming the runaways or wannabe's by yelling back "wait for me."

When she reached the child, she'd asked if she could come along on their "journey." If told no, she'd ask how long they thought they would be gone, or if they planned on coming back.

She'd tell them she was going to miss them, ask if she could give their things away, or where they would be on their birthday so she could send them a birthday card.

If she believed she needed more time to hold them, she'd ask them to wait 5 minutes so she could give them some money for their journey.

This was before cell phones, but she had a pager that she used to send an alert to the staff.

Of course this was nothing more than distract and delay, but it worked more times than not.

Grandmother believed these kids responded because they believed they were in control, didn't feel threatened, or anger and/or frustration towards them. But most important -- the child was told they would be missed, and that was very empowering to them.

Also, she never used the word "run away" -- but labeled it as going on a "journey."

No disrespect for any parties involved, but I can't help but think that my Grandmother could have saved Serenity long before she reached age 9.

MOO

ETA: And we still believe she had eyes on the back of her head. ;)

The article by her adoptive dad and new wife makes me sad. I feel like she had a lot of negativity in her life - I wonder how many times people told her she was wonderful and resilient and kind vs everything she did wrong. The parents still seem bitter about her behavior. On the other hand, it was interesting ....I just hope she never reads it and sees that even presumed dead, her "faults" and struggles are the main thing written about her.

This case just makes me so sad.

I still think she was picked up, but if not I hope the searchers are focusing on shelter areas very close to the home. I think it's most realistic she went somewhere to hide (vs just taking off going as far as possible) and will be found in hollow tree log or similar.

I said this before in an earlier post, but I have recently read an article on how young kids are committing suicide at a much higher frequency. Seeing in the article that she threatened self harm does make me wonder. I hate being so morbid and graphic, but with the scent of a cadaver in the area and such a huge effort yet still no find....I wonder if the searcher are thinking about looking UP at the tree limbs as well.

Perhaps it was the weather that impacted the earlier searches, but I do believe that Serenity will be located in the woods near the home. (Savannah Spurlock located in place searched 6 months earlier also in Feb).

Serenity did not have a coat, food, or take anything with her when she left the grounds. I think Serenity would have been very cold shortly after running down the road, and hid someplace that would also provide her with shelter. Also, darkness would come early in February.

This running off had become a sick, and dangerous game. I think Serenity wanted to be located, and was going to wait until she was uncovered. She wasn't going to come out first. She'd show them how tough she was.... But she was only 9, and you are not tough at age 9!

But nobody came right away. It got dark, and I don't think she ever moved, and she didn't survive. :(:(

MOO

Perhaps it was the weather that impacted the earlier searches, but I do believe that Serenity will be located in the woods near the home. (Savannah Spurlock located in place searched 6 months earlier also in Feb).

Serenity did not have a coat, food, or take anything with her when she left the grounds. I think Serenity would have been very cold shortly after running down the road, and hid someplace that would also provide her with shelter. Also, darkness would come early in February.

This running off had become a sick, and dangerous game. I think Serenity wanted to be located, and was going to wait until she was uncovered. She wasn't going to come out first. She'd show them how tough she was.... But she was only 9, and you are not tough at age 9!

But nobody came right away. It got dark, and I don't think she ever moved, and she didn't survive. :(:(

MOO
This is pretty much what I have envisioned as having happened since the beginning. If she was in fact very good at hiding, a cursory search would be insufficient.

I believe I understand what you are saying about trying to stop a child from fleeing, and not "lure" the child in the way the word implies.

My Grandmother worked with troubled children in hospitals, day cares, and/or primary schools for as long as I can remember.

She was brilliant at disarming the runaways or wannabe's by yelling back "wait for me."

When she reached the child, she'd asked if she could come along on their "journey." If told no, she'd ask how long they thought they would be gone, or if they planned on coming back.

She'd tell them she was going to miss them, ask if she could give their things away, or where they would be on their birthday so she could send them a birthday card.

If she believed she needed more time to hold them, she'd ask them to wait 5 minutes so she could give them some money for their journey.

This was before cell phones, but she had a pager that she used to send an alert to the staff.

Of course this was nothing more than distract and delay, but it worked more times than not.

Grandmother believed these kids responded because they believed they were in control, didn't feel threatened, or anger and/or frustration towards them. But most important -- the child was told they would be missed, and that was very empowering to them.

Also, she never used the word "run away" -- but labeled it as going on a "journey."

No disrespect for any parties involved, but I can't help but think that my Grandmother could have saved Serenity long before she reached age 9.

MOO

Thank you for sharing that well-written reflection in honor of your grandmother. It made me smile.

Oh, and this--
ETA: And we still believe she had eyes on the back of her head. :eek: Grannies do!! I'm a grandmother twice over. Mine came out just as I heard that first cry when the eldest was born. :D:p Keep believing. ;):)

MOO

Brilliant.

I live in rapid city and I can just about bet she really is alive and went with someone. The area has been thoroughly searched numerous times and even if an animal had gotten to her the dogs would have picked something up by now. Also, this is in the middle of town so it’s not like it’s in the middle of no where. There has been a ton of sightings of her in Michigan. Her parents haven’t even seemed worried.

Black Hills Children’s Home isn’t in the middle of town from what I remember.
I live in rapid city and I can just about bet she really is alive and went with someone. The area has been thoroughly searched numerous times and even if an animal had gotten to her the dogs would have picked something up by now. Also, this is in the middle of town so it’s not like it’s in the middle of no where. There has been a ton of sightings of her in Michigan. Her parents haven’t even seemed worried.

Do you have a link to the ton of sightings in Michigan? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member