Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story is ‘sourced’, not an official statement, but it says he intentionally hit her to stop her from running. He didn’t say it was an accident.

The big caveat is that it’s sourced information.

I have read (links to the German articles) that she had injuries to her ribs plus defensive wounds, stab wounds and asphyxiation due to covering mouth and nose. Car accident injuries should be obvious, so hopefully the autopsy can rule that in or out.

I don't believe that he hit her with a car. I think that's something he picked up based on rumor. I think this is how he will try to reduce the sentence from premeditated kidnapping and murder to accident.

The reason I think this is that it was mentioned that she would run against traffic. Suzanne was an intelligent experienced athlete and I doubt she would run with traffic on the cliff side of the road rather than the water side against traffic. Witnesses can confirm on which side of the road she was seen.

Assuming she was running against traffic, he would have to swerve to the wrong side of the road to hit her. Furthermore, if he hit her with a vehicle, she would not have numerous stab injuries and defensive wounds.

I agree it was likely intentional in order to disable her, but it is also worth mentioning (and was earlier in this thread) that driving in Greece is nothing like driving in the US. Especially in more rural areas, cars will tend to drive in the middle of the road. I don't know that running facing traffic would be helpful in Greece (and I occasionally see runners here in the US who don't follow this basic safety rule here!) Source: I have travelled by car in Greece to smaller villages.

I agree it was likely intentional in order to disable her, but it is also worth mentioning (and was earlier in this thread) that driving in Greece is nothing like driving in the US. Especially in more rural areas, cars will tend to drive in the middle of the road. I don't know that running facing traffic would be helpful in Greece (and I occasionally see runners here in the US who don't follow this basic safety rule here!) Source: I have travelled by car in Greece to smaller villages.
Since he allegedly admitted to a sexual motive, he won't be able to use the accident angle later.

@Patrick Jane Great info! Thank you for posting. Did you see the picture of the 'pit' near the fork in the road to Afrata that @otto posted further up in the thread? I am curious still as to whether this pit could have been where the perp/s hid until it was dark.

It was hard to tell from google maps how visible this pit would be either to the people in the village of Afrata or from the road? When you passed this area did the pit seem like a viable location for a car to hide and not be seen? Were there any other locations along the route where a car could have hidden and not be seen?

It seems from the news reports that there might be a location/crime scene where SE was taken after she was taken from the road. Any thoughts based on what you saw? MOO

I've only gone to Kolymbari, but haven't been on that road to Afrata, so I can't shed more light on that topic.

Possibly true for smaller villages and isolated rural areas. Not for big or medium-sized cities, not for highways. We're not suicidal. Crete does have a driving problem, they do drive aggressively.

Wonder if the attacker ran into her with a vehicle first, to partly disable her ?

Greek police arrest man, 27, for murder of US biologist in Crete | Daily Mail Online

"...Greek police arrest 27-year-old farmer for the murder of American biologist whose body was found in a Nazi bunker on Crete after he confessed to 'hitting her with his car then stabbing her' in 'sexually motivated' killing..."

Apparently this is what happened.
He ambushed her.
Glad they caught this S.O.B. !

I don't know what the penalties for such a heinous act are in this country. Hopefully he'll be put away for the remainder of his life.

Since he allegedly admitted to a sexual motive, he won't be able to use the accident angle later.

To clarify, none of the original sources in Greek say that it was an accident. He is reported to have admitted that he hit her on purpose, in order to disable her. He then attacked her up close, with his bare hands and with a knife. He has admitted to a sexual motive.

psychological problems? like what? does he have a proper diagnosis of something?

peeping tom? so whats he been up to? all sounds a bit vague.....but he was a time bomb waiting to go off and im not convinced this would be his first attack on a female

They found him based on the tire tracks and it was verified by his cellphone signal. He cracked during interrogation.
Στα χέρια της ΕΛ.ΑΣ ο δολοφόνος της Αμερικανίδας βιολόγου στην Κρήτη

He admitted to being a peeping tom and said his motive was sexual.
Suzanne Eaton: Τι είπε στους αστυνομικούς ο άνδρας που συνελήφθη για τη δολοφονία

From the first article:

την έβαλε στο αγροτικό του

He put her in his (farmer's) pick-up truck

(my translation)

I have read (links to the German articles) that she had injuries to her ribs plus defensive wounds, stab wounds and asphyxiation due to covering mouth and nose. Car accident injuries should be obvious, so hopefully the autopsy can rule that in or out.

I live on the coast of the Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia over the North Mountain.

The area looks like the part of Crete we’re discussing. The main coastal road is hilly and has hairpin turns.

When out walking my dog, against traffic on the road shoulder, more than once I’ve had a vehicle come up a blind crest and just miss me.

If Dr. Eaton was walking against traffic on the coast side, and the point of contact was the bridge area, she would have little room to get out of the way. (My fear when I pass over two overpasses in my walk).

Reminds me of the case of the jogger who was hit and later killed by those oil workers.
Sherry Arnold .
Had to go look it up. She was grabbed by the road, not hit, according to the perps.
Guess we'll never really know.

Also wanted to say that the punishments for people who prey on innocents aren't tough enough.
They need to be harsher-- or we'll keep seeing this.

From the first article:

την έβαλε στο αγροτικό του

He put her in his (farmer's) pick-up truck

(my translation)

Maybe that's where the burlap comes into play. He put her in the back of his truck and maybe covered her with burlap, but he couldn't drive from the little bridge to the bunker with her alive and conscious in the back of a truck. This still doesn't quite make sense.

from the article:

Έχει περιουσία κοντά στο σημείο που βρέθηκε νεκρή η Αμερικανίδα Βιολόγος.

He has inheritance/property near the place where the (female) American biologist was found dead.

(my translation)
Since he has property in the bunker area, he would have come under scrutiny even without the tire tracks. What was he doing in Afrata?

Maybe that's where the burlap comes into play. He put her in the back of his truck and maybe covered her with burlap, but he couldn't drive from the little bridge to the bunker with her alive and conscious in the back of a truck. This still doesn't quite make sense.

immediately preceding what I quoted from the article:

και αφού την σκότωσε

And since he had killed her

(my translation)

και αφού την σκότωσε

(my translation)

That's interesting. He put her in the back of the truck after she was deceased? Where was she after she was abducted while jogging? I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim that she was deceased at the time of abduction.

και αφού την σκότωσε

(my translation)

He killed her at the scene, in his truck?

ETA: I understand his vehicle was used to stop her from running, maybe knock her down, then he attacked her and she fought back.

But is he saying this all happened at the point where he encountered her?

Last edited:
According to the article below, he has not confessed to a rape yet.

The following quote mentions that he has property in the area where she was jogging. Did he see her jog near the bunker or he has property near Afrata as well?

In the expectation of his lawyer, the young man has only given a verbal confession , which he allegedly claimed to have seen the 60-year-old woman joggle in the area where he owns a property, was irritated and, in order to immobilize her, car driving!

Δολοφονία Αμερικανίδας βιολόγου: Σεξουαλική η προσέγγιση του δολοφόνου!

Nearly all new articles in Greek have the date of the disappearance wrong (July 4 instead of July 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288