FL - Amber Jones, 33, Key West Boat Suicide, Dec 2018

What a mess. Her name is in current article and it says that she did indeed pass away.

Yesterday morning, admittedly fed up that the Sheriff’s Office had not yet contacted the family, another boater, Morgan Farrell, made the call herself.

“It literally took me less than thirty minutes to find three family members and a phone number,” says Morgan. She told Shannon Coble that her sister, Amber Jones, had passed away in Key West and she needed to call Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.

“I called immediately,” said Shannon, when we spoke with her a few hours later, “but they didn’t seem to know what I was talking about. They said to call on Monday when the detectives would be back on duty.”

Also from article

“I did not kill her. I did not help her kill herself. I did show her how to do it right so she would die quickly with the minimum pain. And I tried through the last seconds to convince her to stay. I tried since I met her to help her find her own god. I tried. I am grateful that she chose me to be with her at the end. I am grateful that she trusted me enough to check out in front of me. I am grateful that I could be there to participate in her last beautiful day. I am grateful that she could come back to me and tell me that god is indeed real, and she’s there, and with me, now and forever. That’s really all there is to say.”

Liveboards Question Investigation into Amber Jones’ Alleged Suicide

This almost seems like a hoax. Hope not, but then again if it is a hoax at least this poor woman is not dead. Sad either way.

How did she end up in Key West? And what is the Anchorage? I’m guessing these are sailboats permanently moored and can’t be moved or just temporarily hanging out there?
This is such a sad story :(
(And in one of my favorite places to visit too)
I will say a prayer for Amber.

Last edited:
This article has been updated, confirmation that AJ's family weren't contacted for almost 2 weeks, and it was AJ's mother who called MCSO:

UPDATE 12/17/2018 3:00 pm: Today we received an updated – highly redacted – incident reportfrom MCSO. In it detectives state the following: “On December 15, 2018 I made contact with the decedent’s mother Jean Calderwood, she was notified of the death and process for arrangements with the medical examiners office.” After speaking with James and Shannon Coble today we learned that on Saturday, after they learned from Morgan Farrel about Amber’s death they told Amber’s mother who then called MCSO and was put in direct contact with a detective in charge of the case.

Liveboards Question Investigation into Amber Jones’ Alleged Suicide

And another incident report. (Link to report in quote.) Items such as the gun have a coded as 'E', but there's no explanation of what 'code E' means. Were they seized?

upload_2018-12-19_15-4-24.png

upload_2018-12-19_15-5-10.png

upload_2018-12-19_15-6-18.png

upload_2018-12-19_15-6-42.png

upload_2018-12-19_15-7-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-19_15-5-46.png
    upload_2018-12-19_15-5-46.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 5
Wondering if anyone has any opinions or updates on the "suicide" in Key West not that long ago. I'll post the ONLY link I've found regarding this suspicious case. It was on a boat, her "friend" was a male, posted pictures to facebook of the incident, including an awfully morbid photo of the victim. In the link below, there are screen shots from the FB posting which raise more suspicions. As of yesterday, I believe, LE has yet to locate or contact this young woman's next of kin. Heartbreaking all around.

Woman Shot in the Head in Apparent Suicide / Key West Harbor
ETA: Deleted my post. I see y'all were on it - my slow typing got me again. Apologies for the redundancy. :oops:

Woman Shot in the Head in Apparent Suicide / Key West Harbor – Key West The Newspaper

Update Monday December 17, 2018: Jason Fink, the father of Amber Jones' young daughter created a page seeking help with expenses to bring Amber Jones' remains back to Pennsylvania and to have a proper funeral service for her. Here is a link to the page where Jason Fink asks for our help and shares some kind words about Amber Jones: https://www..com/final-expenses-for-amber-jones

Update Monday December 17, 2018, 3:00 pm: This morning we received an updated - highly redacted - incident report from MCSO. In it detectives state the following: "On December 15, 2018 I made contact with the decedent's mother Jean Calderwood, she was notified of the death and process for arrangements with the medical examiners office." However, after speaking with James and Shannon Coble today we learned that on Saturday, after they learned from Morgan Farrel about Amber's death they told Amber's mother who then called MCSO herself and was put in direct contact with a detective in charge of the case.

I read about this back when it happened. I saw some of the original posts from the guy who owned the boat when they were posted in comment sections of Liveboards. This was crazy then and is still concerning that it may be more than what it appears.

Yup.

At Thanksgiving, texts annoy her, tells family she wants to be friends.

Within a week she's dead.

Arguing about jurisdiction.

D'ya think LE swabbed him for gun shot residue???

Is there an on-line listing of Florida cases?

This is one of the oddest things I’ve heard of. What a bizarre freak posting her pic on his FB. Not the behavior of a normal person. She’d probably be alive if he had taken the gun! Or called 911 so trained people could take her somewhere to get help. I can’t fathom his thought process! MOO

Savemecastiel, Thank you for bumping this thread. I hadn’t seen it until the bump. So bizarre and so sad.

This is one of the oddest things I’ve heard of. What a bizarre freak posting her pic on his FB. Not the behavior of a normal person. She’d probably be alive if he had taken the gun! Or called 911 so trained people could take her somewhere to get help. I can’t fathom his thought process! MOO

Taken the gun? Perhaps the guy wouldn't take "No" for an answer & decided "if I can't have you, no one can?"

Hypothetically

JMHO YMMV

Taken the gun? Perhaps the guy wouldn't take "No" for an answer & decided "if I can't have you, no one can?"

Hypothetically

JMHO YMMV

I guess I hadn’t thought of that angle. Plus, he did post about sharing those last moments.

I do feel for the guy's sister, sounded like they'd had that convo previously.

LRR=Lather Rinse Repeat

JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong