Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #10 *Still Missing*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury goes home without sentence for killer of Chinese scholar

PEORIA, Ill. (AP) – Jurors have gone home after the first day of deliberations without a decision on whether a former University of Illinois doctoral student should be put to death for slaying a young scholar from China.

The jury withdrew to deliberate Wednesday afternoon after closing arguments in the death-penalty stage of the case against Brendt Christensen. The same jurors convicted him last month of killing Yingying Zhang.

Jurors deliberated for less than three hours before the judge dismissed them for the day. They will resume their deliberations Thursday.

They took less than 90 minutes to return with a guilty verdict last month, in part because defense lawyers said during the trial their client killed Zhang.

Among the questions they must answer in the penalty phase is whether Christensen displayed unique cruelty in how he killed Zhang or whether he exhibited redeeming qualities in his life.

Just read this on the Margaret Fleming thread in the UK. I know the jury is only considering death or LWOP, but this makes so much sense:

In 2015, Helen McCourt's mother, Marie, began a campaign to change the law regarding the conviction of killers such as Simms, requiring them to reveal the whereabouts of their victim's remains before being considered for parole. The campaign led to the announcement of plans to introduce a "Helen's Law" in May 2019.

and

In May 2019, the UK's Ministry of Justice announced plans to change the law regarding parole to place "greater consideration on failure to disclose the location of a victim's remains". In such cases as that of the murder of Helen McCourt, where a conviction is secured without the presence of a body, Helen's Law would require a person convicted of murder to reveal the location of their victim's remains before being considered for parole.[18] On 5 July 2019, Secretary of State for Justice David Gauke confirmed the law would be adopted in England and Wales.[19]

Thursday, July 18th:
*Penalty Phase of Trial continues (Day 9)-VERDICT WATCH! Life or death? (@ 9am @ CT) - IL - Yingying Zhang (26) (missing on June 9, 2017, Urbana; not found) - *Brendt A. Christensen (28) indicted (6/30/17) on kidnapping (Federal charge) resulting in death of Yingying & 2 counts of giving false statements to FBI. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial started 6/3/19 with jury selection & took until 6/11/19 to pick a jury. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. (7 men & 5 women). Trial ended 6/24/19. Jurors reached a verdict in less than 2 hours. Christensen was found GUILTY of kidnapping resulting in the death of Yingying Zhang. Also found GUILTY on two counts of making false statements to the FBI. Penalty Phase started on 7/8 & ended 7/17/19 with jury deliberations.
Jury Selection Days 1 to 7 (6/3/19 to 6/7/19) & Trial days 1 to 9 (6/12/19 to 6/24/19), Court info (7/2/19 to 7/5/19) & Penalty Phase Day 1 to 7 (7/8/19 to 7/16/19) reference post #1098 here:
GUILTY - IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #10 *Still Missing*

7/17/19 Penalty Phase Day 8: Judge reads jury instructions before closing arguments. Closing arguments done. Prosecution rebuttal. Jury started deliberations ~1:30pm. Public will be given a 30 minute warning that a decision has been reached before it is announced. The jury has 2 questions: The first asked if they were supposed to quantify the number of jurors who found each mitigating factor proved by a preponderance of the evidence. Both sides agreed the answer is yes. And the second question asked whether they should consider at this stage whether they personally think a factor is mitigating. Both sides agreed to refer the jury to the jury instructions, which tell them to weigh aggravating and mitigating factors after they determine which exist. Jury recessed at 5pm and return tomorrow at 9am on 7/18. Jury deliberated for about 3 ½ hours.

I tried to warn you, I did.
It was easy to stymie them... they took the TB tapes and they ran with them and immediately stopped thorough searching.
They are disgusting, as much as he is.
They never even tried.

I think it could take them the full 48 hrs to agree mitigating and exacerbating factors here.. I'd say Wednesday next
Today they will be paper shuffling
They have a lot to get through, item by item...
Maybe they actually know what he did. I do vaguely remember it being said the remains were irrecoverable and then the searches stopped. Fed to pigs? Dissolved in acid? And if it was revealed in plea negotiations, does that mean it cannot be brought up in court? Eg are plea deals on a without prejudice basis?

Just read this on the Margaret Fleming thread in the UK. I know the jury is only considering death or LWOP, but this makes so much sense:

In 2015, Helen McCourt's mother, Marie, began a campaign to change the law regarding the conviction of killers such as Simms, requiring them to reveal the whereabouts of their victim's remains before being considered for parole. The campaign led to the announcement of plans to introduce a "Helen's Law" in May 2019.

and

In May 2019, the UK's Ministry of Justice announced plans to change the law regarding parole to place "greater consideration on failure to disclose the location of a victim's remains". In such cases as that of the murder of Helen McCourt, where a conviction is secured without the presence of a body, Helen's Law would require a person convicted of murder to reveal the location of their victim's remains before being considered for parole.[18] On 5 July 2019, Secretary of State for Justice David Gauke confirmed the law would be adopted in England and Wales.[19]
Yes I saw this too but as you indicate, parole for BC is not an option even if he did reveal anything. I don't like the idea of murderers being considered for parole anyway, but it happens I know.

This is what is says in the American Bar about plea discussions.

c) Any statement made in the course of any proceedings concerning a plea of nolo contendere or a plea of guilty or nolo contendere that is not accepted by the court, or in the course of plea discussions with the prosecuting attorney that do not result in a plea of guilty or that result in a plea of nolo contendere or a plea of guilty or nolo contendere that is not accepted by the court, should not be admitted as evidence against the defendant in any criminal or civil action or administrative proceedings, except that such a statement may be admitted:

(i) in a criminal proceeding for perjury or false statement if the statement was made by the defendant under oath, on the record, and in the presence of counsel; or

(ii) in any proceeding in which another statement made in the course of the same plea or plea discussions has been introduced and the statement ought in fairness be considered contemporaneously with it.

Illinois jury goes home without sentence verdict for Brendt Christensen (with clip)

JULY 17, 2019

"PEORIA, Ill. —Jurors went home Wednesday evening after a first day of deliberations without a decision on whether a former University of Illinois doctoral student should be put to death for slaying a young scholar from China.

The jury withdrew to deliberate Wednesday afternoon after closing arguments in the death-penalty stage of the case against Brendt Christensen. The same jurors convicted him last month of killing Yingying Zhang.

Jurors deliberated for less than three hours before the judge dismissed them for the day around 5 p.m. They will resume their deliberations Thursday...."

Illinois jury goes home without sentence verdict for Brendt Christensen

More like smirking. Arrogant!

Did anyone find about about book/media profits? Can BD make $$$ if he sells a book/article???

JMHO YMMV

From these two sources it looks like prisoners can indeed profit from the sale of books but the state will then most likely sue them for the costs of incarceration. I didn't find anything specifically related to Illinois. I'm in shock. I thought for sure there was a law preventing them from profiting.

A Son of Sam law is an American English term for any law designed to keep criminals from profiting from the publicity of their crimes, often by selling their stories to publishers. Such laws often authorize the state to seize money earned from deals such as book/movie biographies and paid interviews and use it to compensate the criminal's victims.

Son of Sam law - Wikipedia

The Michigan Department of Treasury is seeking 90 percent of Mr. Dawkins’s assets, including “proceeds from publications, future payments, royalties” and the money that his family puts in his prison account.

A Prisoner Got a Book Deal. Now the State Wants Him to Pay for His Imprisonment.

Among the questions they must answer in the penalty phase is whether Christensen displayed unique cruelty in how he killed Zhang or whether he exhibited redeeming qualities in his life.

[srbm]

I think he did display unique cruelty. Does anyone think any of those witnesses provided evidence that he exhibited redeeeming qualities in his life? I didn't read anything notable.

Christensen sentencing, Day 8: Judge expects deliberations 'will take some time'

Her mother, whom her lawyers said often is brought to tears at the sight of Christensen and has been watching the proceedings from an overflow room, joined her family in the morning before the jury entered.

But after a meeting in Shadid’s chambers with attorneys for both sides and Steve Beckett, one of the attorneys for Ms. Zhang’s family, Ms. Zhang’s mother, Lifeng Ye, didn’t return to the courtroom.

Zhidong Wang, another attorney for Ms. Zhang’s family, said she didn’t watch from the main courtroom to avoid any issues that could lead the defense to raise objections.

“Choking someone for 10 minutes is torture,” he said. Stabbing someone in the neck is “the definition of torture. This is the definition of serious physical abuse.”

Decapitating her is “the definition of heinous,” Nelson said. “This is the definition of depraved.”

He argued that the forensic evidence supports Christensen’s claims, with Ms. Zhang’s DNA found on his bed and in a bloodstain on a tack strip and under the carpet.

“How much blood must there have been to soak into the tack strip through the carpet?” Nelson asked. (first reference I have seen to qty of blood)

The jury will fill out a special verdict form, marking which of the aggravating factors were proven beyond a reasonable doubt and how many jurors found which of the mitigating factors were proven by a preponderance of the evidence.

No, but the Sangamon River isn't terribly far away. It's certainly not walking distance either though.
What river or waterhole is within walking distance of his apartment CU?
I have a feeling he did not bring the car when he went out with the bag.. he had to get rid of it, yet he didnt snip it to pieces?

What river or waterhole is within walking distance of his apartment CU?
I have a feeling he did not bring the car when he went out with the bag.. he had to get rid of it, yet he didnt snip it to pieces?
There is a large body of water near his apartment but IIRC it was searched. There is a storage place near his apartment - did he have a unit that he kept her in either the duffle or the containers that he purchased?
Have those motions been unsealed yet?

Dropped pin Near Champaign, IL, USA Google Maps

This map shows a large lake near his apartment ( Clear Water) and many other bodies of water around. If he dismembered her and drove around dropping bits in all the bodies of water it could account for the gas usage and the missing 5 hours. The map shows many areas of water nearby.

There is also a stream very close by his apartment called Copper Slough that joins a lot of these bodies of water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member