Malaysia airlines MH370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #26

I think the media tends to just copy other media's stories (that is how it seems in other cases I follow), so I wouldn't put a lot of weight in that unless it says it heard a direct quote from someone who actually said/reported about the change before/after takeoff.

If we go to 'the horse's mouth', which is French newspaper 'Le Parisien', it says:

"Un rapport sur les passagers et les bagages emmenés à bord vient d'être remis aux juges d'instruction. Son auteur était présent au tribunal lors de la réunion. « On se rend compte qu'il y a plusieurs listes de passagers contradictoires, par exemple sur le placement des passagers, indique Ghyslain Wattrelos. On a aussi appris qu'un mystérieux chargement de 89 kg avait été rajouté sur la liste du vol après son décollage. Un conteneur était également surchargé, sans qu'on sache pourquoi. L'expert n'en tire aucune conclusion. C'est peut-être de l'incompétence ou une manipulation. Tout est possible. Ça fera partie des questions à poser aux Malaisiens. »"

which, according to google-translate, says this in English:

"A report on the passengers and baggage brought on board has just been given to the investigating judges. Its author was present in court at the meeting. "We realize that there are several contradictory passenger lists, for example on the placement of passengers, says Ghyslain Wattrelos. It was also learned that a mysterious load of 89 kg had been added to the flight list after take-off. A container was also overloaded, without anyone knowing why. The expert draws no conclusion. It may be incompetence or manipulation. Everything is possible. This will be part of the questions for Malaysians. ""

Vol MH370 : révélations sur le crash mystère
===
The first link (msn) seems to be saying that the additional 'item' weighing 89kgs was added to the plane before takeoff, but not added to the 'list' until after takeoff.

"French investigators searching for answers over the disappearance of flight MH370 have discovered a 89kg weight was added to the flight before take-off, it has been reported.
Two Parisian judges are currently conducting a judicial investigation, and have just received a report on the passengers and baggage brought on board, French newspaper Le Parisien reported.

According to the paper, Mr Wattrelos said: “It was also learned that a mysterious load of 89 kg had been added to the flight list after take-off."

====

So is this to mean that a last minute 'item' weighing 89Kgs was added to the plane, but not recorded until 'after' takeoff? (And if added 'after' takeoff, where are these people finding this list?? Is it a computerized list they would have access to even though the plane is missing??)
Thanks for more thoroughly checking the evidence :)

I would think it more usual to say something is loaded onto a flight, and is added to the flight list. Unusual to say it is added to a flight.

From my experience of watching Aircrash investigations:p the flight list is handed to the pilots in the cockpit in an re-enactment. The investigators (actors) can then print them out again after the incident :p

So it could be that in the case of MH370, the French have found the flight list updated with the last item after the flight departure time, verifiable by the system update timestamp. That's why they ask, incompetence or manipulation?

I wonder how long afterwards was the item added?

Thanks for more thoroughly checking the evidence :)

I would think it more usual to say something is loaded onto a flight, and is added to the flight list. Unusual to say it is added to a flight.

From my experience of watching Aircrash investigations:p the flight list is handed to the pilots in the cockpit in an re-enactment. The investigators (actors) can then print them out again after the incident :p

So it could be that in the case of MH370, the French have found the flight list updated with the last item after the flight departure time, verifiable by the system update timestamp. That's why they ask, incompetence or manipulation?

I wonder how long afterwards was the item added?
Yes, but we speak and understand English, and there is likely translation being made between Malaysian (?) and then French to English, so words may not be quite how we would say them?

Sorry, you have lost me about the flight list being handed to the pilots in the cockpit in a re-enactment, which the investigators can then print out again after an incident? (ie where would it be printed out FROM, if plane has disappeared?)

I'm not getting how it was even determined that after takeoff, the flight list had been added to, since the plane hasn't been found? Unless that last-minute item was added into a computer list, which would immediately be able to be accessed by the people watching the plane from land (sorry, my plane/airport/flight language is lacking ;/ , but the people who make sure planes don't collide or whatever (air traffic control or whatever?) - would they be able to access a computerized list which was changed after take-off, immediately after it was changed? - if so, then that must mean there is/was a way of 'communicating' via computer, aside from voice, and if something was known to be an issue at that time (or any other time?), the pilots could've just typed in a message even if they couldn't access their voice-communication device?)

My understanding from following this MH370 disappearance from the beginning is that all items loaded onto a plane must be documented on a waybill as there are certain items (like the famous lithium batteries) that have a limit in the amount that can be transported at one time. There was much speculation in the beginning that they had placed more than the allowed amount of lithium batteries on the plane. In no case should items be added to that list after a plane takes off.
There is likely also a policy that containers cannot be overloaded, which policy seems to have also been breached. (What was in the overloaded container, and did the documentation state the overloaded weight so that it was known ahead of time and ignored, or ?)

https://tribunecontentagency.com/article/what-really-happened-to-malaysias-missing-airplane/
The Atlantic July 18, 2019
lengthy article
"If the wreckage is ever found, it will lay to rest all the theories that depend on ignoring the satellite data or the fact that the airplane flew an intricate path after its initial turn away from Beijing and then remained aloft for six more hours. No, it did not catch on fire yet stay in the air for all that time. No, it did not become a “ghost flight” able to navigate and switch its systems off and then back on. No, it was not shot down after long consideration by nefarious national powers who lingered on its tail before pulling the trigger. And no, it is not somewhere in the South China Sea, nor is it sitting intact in some camouflaged hangar in Central Asia. The one thing all of these explanations have in common is that they contradict the authentic information investigators do possess.

That aside, finding the wreckage and the two black boxes may accomplish little. The cockpit voice recorder is a self-erasing two-hour loop, and is likely to contain only the sounds of the final alarms going off, unless whoever was at the controls was still alive and in a mood to provide explanations for posterity. The other black box, the flight-data recorder, will provide information about the functioning of the airplane throughout the entire flight, but it will not reveal any relevant system failure, because no such failure can explain what occurred. At best it will answer some relatively unimportant questions, such as when exactly the airplane was depressurized and how long it remained so, or how exactly the satellite box was powered down and then powered back up. The denizens of the internet would be obsessed, but that is hardly an event to look forward to.

The important answers probably don’t lie in the ocean but on land, in Malaysia. That should be the focus moving forward. Unless they are as incompetent as the air force and air traffic control, the Malaysian police know more than they have dared to say. The riddle may not be deep. That is the frustration here. The answers may well lie close at hand, but they are more difficult to retrieve than any black box. If Blaine Gibson wants a real adventure, he might spend a year poking around Kuala Lumpur."

Yes, but we speak and understand English, and there is likely translation being made between Malaysian (?) and then French to English, so words may not be quite how we would say them?

Sorry, you have lost me about the flight list being handed to the pilots in the cockpit in a re-enactment, which the investigators can then print out again after an incident? (ie where would it be printed out FROM, if plane has disappeared?)

I'm not getting how it was even determined that after takeoff, the flight list had been added to, since the plane hasn't been found? Unless that last-minute item was added into a computer list, which would immediately be able to be accessed by the people watching the plane from land (sorry, my plane/airport/flight language is lacking ;/ , but the people who make sure planes don't collide or whatever (air traffic control or whatever?) - would they be able to access a computerized list which was changed after take-off, immediately after it was changed? - if so, then that must mean there is/was a way of 'communicating' via computer, aside from voice, and if something was known to be an issue at that time (or any other time?), the pilots could've just typed in a message even if they couldn't access their voice-communication device?)
Sorry to have confused you... I assume everyone has watched an episode or two of those air crash shows :)

First of all, you must be thinking of "air traffic controllers".

Secondly (because I worked in IT) I would imagine the flight list, like all data these days, is not handwritten but stored in a computer, not on board a plane but in some location on land (or ironically, in the 'cloud'). So it should be able to be retrieved at any time after flight departure. MOO because I had not worked for an airline.

I would like to say that I believe the pilot was not responsible, but from all of the known facts that can be determined, I really have some difficulty in concluding that anyone else could have purposely planned the plane disappearance and mass murder

One fact that has stood out to me...everyone else on board had plans and social engagements after March 8, 2014 according to their calendars, social media, friends and family.

But the pilot had nothing in his calendar after March 8, 2014. No work, family, or social engagements......nothing

It was as if he determined it advance that on March 8, 2014 when his relative was railroaded into prison by his employer (which he knew was a given) that would be the day he put his carefully thought out highly detailed plan in place. I feel he planned this for a while anticipating the outcome of his relatives appeal

No doubt in my mind that the pilot was responsible and left the purposeful ambiguity of what happened to ensure the protection of his family as no one can conclusively prove that the pilot committed mass murder

Looks like same news is being recirculated from earlier.

"It was also learned that a mysterious load of 89 kilos (200 pounds) was added to the flight list after takeoff," Wattrelos told the newspaper. "A container was also overloaded, without anyone knowing why."
MH370 had 'mysterious' 200-pound load added to flight list after takeoff: report

"It was also learned that a mysterious load of 89 kilos (200 pounds) was added to the flight list after takeoff," Wattrelos told the newspaper. "A container was also overloaded, without anyone knowing why."
5 years on, Malaysia open to proposals to resume MH370 hunt

In full: Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 passenger list
Published, 8 Mar, 2014
"It emerged on Saturday night that Luigi Maraldi and Christan Kozel did not board the flight despite being listed on the manifest. The Italian and Austrian foreign ministries confirmed the two had reported their passports stolen.
Passenger List
Last name
First name Nationality Age
AN WENLAN CHN 65
BAO YUANHUA CHN 63
BAI XIAOMO CAN 37
BIAN MAOQIN CHN 67
BIAN LIANGJING CHN 27
BIBYNAZLI MOHDHASSIM MYS 62
BRODSKII NIKOLAI RU 43
BURROWS RODNEYMR AUS 59
BURROWS MARYMRS AUS 54
CAO RUI CHN 32
CHAN HUANPEENMR MYS 46
CHE JUNZHANG CHN 68
CHEN JIAN CHN 58
CHEN CHANGJUNMR CHN 35
CHEN WEI MYS 43
CHEN YUNMS CHN 57
CHEW KARMOOIMS MYS 31
CHUANG HSIULINGMS TWN 45
CHNG MEI MYS 33
CHUSTRAK OLEG UKR 45
DAI SHULING CHN 58
DAISY ANNE MYS 56
DEINEKA SERGII UKR 45
DI JIABIN CHN 36
DINA MOHAMEDYUNUSRAMLI MYS 30
DING YING CHN 28
DING LIJUN CHN 43
DING YINGMS CHN 62
DONG GUOWEI CHN 48
DOU YUNSHANMR CHN 61
DU WEN CHN 50
FENG DONG CHN 21
FENG JIXIN CHN 70
FU BAOFENG CHN 28
GAN TAO CHN 44
GAN FUXIANG CHN 49
GAO GE CHN 27
GU NAIJUN AUS 31
GUAN HUAJINMS MYS 34
GUAN WENJIEMR CHN 35
HAN JING CHN 53
HASHIM NOORIDA MYS 57
HOU AIQINMS CHN 45
HOU BO CHN 35
HU SIWANCHD CHN 3
HU XIAONINGMR CHN 34
HUANG YIMS CHN 30
HUANG TIANHUI CHN 43
HUE PUIHENGMR MYS 66
JIA PING CHN 32
JIANG CUIYUN CHN 62
JIANG XUEREN CHN 62
JIANG YINGMS CHN 27
JIAO WEIWEI CHN 32
JIAO WENXUE CHN 58
JINGHANG JEE MYS 41
JU KUN CHN 32
KANG XU CHN 34
KOH TIONGMENG MYS 40
KOLEKAR CHETANA IND 55
KOLEKAR SWANAND IND 23
KOLEKAR VINOD IND 59
KOZEL CHRISTIAN AUT 30
LAWTON CATHERINEMRS AUS 54
LAWTON ROBERTMR AUS 58
LEE KAHKINMR MYS 32
LEE SEWCHUMDM MYS 55
LI YANLIN CHN 29
LI ZHI CHN 41
LI GUOHUI CHN 56
LI HONGJING CHN 20
LI JIE CHN 27
LI MINGZHONG CHN 69
LI WENBO CHN 29
LI YAN CHN 31
LI YUAN AUS 33
LI YUCHEN CHN 27
LI ZHIJIN CHN 30
LI ZHIXIN CHN 35
LI LE CHN 36
LIANG LUYANGMR CHN 60
LIANG XUYANG CHN 30
LIM POWCHUAMS MYS 43
LIN ANNANMR CHN 27
LIN MINGFENG CHN 34
LIU FENGYING CHN 65
LIU JINPENGMR CHN 33
LIU QIANG CHN 40
LIU RUSHENG CHN 76
LIU SHUNCHAO CHN 46
LIU ZHONGFU CHN 72
LOU BAOTANG CHN 79
LU JIANHUA CHN 57
LU XIANCHU CHN 33
LUI CHING CHN 45
LUO WEI CHN 29
MA WENZHI CHN 57
MA JUNMR CHN 33
MAIMAITIJIANG A CHN 35
MAO TUGUI CHN 72
MARALDI LUIGI ITA 37
MARIA MOHAMEDYUNUSRAMLI MYS 52
MATRAHIM NORFADZILLAHMISS MYS 39
MENG NICOLECHD USA 4
MENG BING CHN 40
MENG FANQUAN CHN 70
MENG GAOSHENG CHN 64
MOHDKHAIRULAMRI SELAMATMR MYS 29
MOHAMADSOFUAN IBRAHIMMR MYS 33
MUHAMMADRAZAHAN ZAMANIMR MYS 24
MUSTAFA SUHAILIMISS MYS 31
MUKHERJEE MUKTESH CAN 42
NG MAYLIMS MYS 37
NORLIAKMAR HAMIDMDM MYS 33
OUYANG XIN CHN 38
PUSPANATHAN SUBRAMANIAN MYS 34
RAMLAN SAFUANMR MYS 32
SHARMA CHANDRIKAMS IND 51
SHI XIANWEN CHN 26
SHIRSATH KRANTI IND 44
SIM KENGWEI MYS 53
SIREGAR FIRMAN IDN 25
SONG FEIFEIMR CHN 32
SONG CHUNLINGMS CHN 60
SONG KUN CHN 25
SU QIANGGUO CHN 71
SUADAYA FERRYINDRAMR IDN 42
SUADAYA HERRYINDRAMR IDN 35
SUGIANTO LOMR IDN 47
SURTIDAHLIA MRS NLD 50
TAN TEIKHINMR MYS 32
TAN AHMENGMR MYS 46
TAN WEICHEWMR MYS 19
TAN CHONGLING MYS 48
TAN SIOH MYS 42
TANG XUDONG CHN 31
TANG XUEZHUMS CHN 57
TANURISAM INDRASURIAMR IDN 57
TEE LINKEONGMR MYS 50
TEOH KIMLUNMR MYS 36
TIAN JUNWEI CHN 29
TIAN QINGJUN CHN 51
TONG SOONLEEMR MYS 31
VINNY CHYNTHYATIOMRS IDN 47
WAN HOCKKHOONMR MYS 42
WANG SHOUXIAN CHN 69
WANG SHU CHN 61
WANG XIANJUN CHN 61
WANG CHUNHUAMR CHN 34
WANG CHUNYONG CHN 43
WANG DAN CHN 54
WANG HAITAO CHN 26
WANG HOUBIN CHN 28
WANG LINSHI CHN 59
WANG WILLYSURIJANTOMR IDN 53
WANG YONGGANGMR CHN 27
WANG YONGHUI CHN 33
WANG YONGQIANG CHN 30
WANG LIJUN CHN 49
WANG XIMIN NZL 50
WANG RUI CHN 35
WANG MOHENG CHN 2
WATTRELOS AMBRE FRA 14
WATTRELOS HADRIEN FRA 17
WATTRELOS LAURENCE FRA 52
WEEKS PAULMR NZL 39
WEN YONGSHENG CHN 34
WEN HAO CHN 32
WENG MEI CHN 39
WONG SAISANGMR MYS 53
WOOD PHILIP USA 51
XIE LIPING CHN 51
XIN XIXIMS CHN 32
XING FENGTAO CHN 36
XING QIAO CHN 27
XIONG DEMING CHN 63
XU CHUANE CHN 57
YA NA CHN 26
YAN LINGMR CHN 29
YAN PENG CHN 29
YAN XIAO CHN 27
YANG LI CHN 35
YANG AILINGMS CHN 60
YANG JIABAO CHN 26
YANG MEIHUA CHN 65
YANG QINGYUANMR CHN 57
YANG XIAOMINGMS CHN 59
YAO JIANFENG CHN 70
YAO LIFEI CHN 31
Crew List
ZAHARIE BIN AHMAD SHAH (TECH CREW) Malaysian
FARIQ BIN AB HAMID (TECH CREW) Malaysian
PATRICK FRANCIS GOMES Malaysian
ANDREW NARI Malaysian
GOH SOCK LAY Malaysian
TAN SER KUIN Malaysian
WAN SWAID BIN WAN ISMAIL Malaysian
JUNAIDI BIN MOHD KASSIM Malaysian
MOHD HAZRIN BIN MOHAMED HASNAN Malaysian
NG YAR CHIEN Malaysian
FOONG WAI YUENG Malaysian
TAN SIZE HIANG Malaysian

Name Nationality
YAP CHEEMENGMR MYS 39
YIN BOYAN CHN 33
YIN YUEWANG CHN 21
YUAN JIN CHN 63
YUE GUIJUMS CHN 51
YUE WENCHAO CHN 26
YUSOP MUZIMR MYS 50
ZANG LINGDI CHN 58
ZHANG CHI CHN 58
ZHANG LIQIN CHN 43
ZHANG QIMS CHN 31
ZHANG YAN CHN 45
ZHANG HUAMR CHN 43
ZHANG LIJUANMS CHN 61
ZHANG NAMS CHN 34
ZHANG SIMING CHN 71
ZHANG XIAOLEIMS CHN 32
ZHANG HUALIAN CHN 42
ZHANG JIANWU CHN 31
ZHANG JINQUAN CHN 72
ZHANG MENG CHN 29
ZHANG XUEWENMR CHN 61
ZHANG YAN CHN 36
ZHANG YAN USA 2
ZHANG YANHUI CHN 44
ZHANG ZHONGHAI CHN 43
ZHANG SHAOHUA CHN 32
ZHAO GANGMR CHN 46
ZHAO QIWEIMR CHN 37
ZHAO YINGXINCHD CHN 3
ZHAO PENG CHN 25
ZHAO YAN FRA 18
ZHAO ZHAOFANG CHN 73
ZHENG RUIXIAN CHN 42
ZHOU FENG CHN 56
ZHOU JINLING CHN 61
ZHOU SHIJIE CHN 64
ZHU JUNYAN CHN 41

Possibly a re-post, excellent, very lengthy article with lots of detail.
The Atlantic
June 17 2019 Story by William Langewiesche
What Really Happened to Malaysia’s Missing Airplane

"In the cabin were 10 flight attendants, all of them Malaysian. They had 227 passengers to care for, including five children. Most of the passengers were Chinese; of the rest, 38 were Malaysian, and in descending order the others came from Indonesia, Australia, India, France, the United States, Iran, Ukraine, Canada, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Russia, and Taiwan. Up in the cockpit that night, while First Officer Fariq flew the airplane, Captain Zaharie handled the radios. The arrangement was standard. Zaharie’s transmissions were a bit unusual. At 1:01 a.m. he radioed that they had leveled off at 35,000 feet—a superfluous report in radar-surveilled airspace where the norm is to report leaving an altitude, not arriving at one. At 1:08 the flight crossed the Malaysian coastline and set out across the South China Sea in the direction of Vietnam. Zaharie again reported the plane’s level at 35,000 feet.

Eleven minutes later, as the airplane closed in on a waypoint near the start of Vietnamese air-traffic jurisdiction, the controller at Kuala Lumpur Center radioed, “Malaysian three-seven-zero, contact Ho Chi Minh one-two-zero-decimal-nine. Good night.” Zaharie answered, “Good night. Malaysian three-seven-zero.” He did not read back the frequency, as he should have, but otherwise the transmission sounded normal. It was the last the world heard from MH370. The pilots never checked in with Ho Chi Minh or answered any of the subsequent attempts to raise them.

Primary radar relies on simple, raw pings off objects in the sky. Air-traffic-control systems use what is known as secondary radar. It depends on a transponder signal that is transmitted by each airplane and contains richer information—for instance, the airplane’s identity and altitude—than primary radar does. Five seconds after MH370 crossed into Vietnamese airspace, the symbol representing its transponder dropped from the screens of Malaysian air traffic control, and 37 seconds later the entire airplane disappeared from secondary radar. The time was 1:21 a.m., 39 minutes after takeoff. The controller in Kuala Lumpur was dealing with other traffic elsewhere on his screen and simply didn’t notice. When he finally did, he assumed that the airplane was in the hands of Ho Chi Minh, somewhere out beyond his range.

The Vietnamese controllers, meanwhile, saw MH370 cross into their airspace and then disappear from radar. They apparently misunderstood a formal agreement by which Ho Chi Minh was supposed to inform Kuala Lumpur immediately if an airplane that had been handed off was more than five minutes late checking in. They tried repeatedly to contact the aircraft, to no avail. By the time they picked up the phone to inform Kuala Lumpur, 18 minutes had passed since MH370’s disappearance from their radar screens. What ensued was an exercise in confusion and incompetence. Kuala Lumpur’s Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre should have been notified within an hour of the disappearance. By 2:30 a.m., it still had not been. Four more hours elapsed before an emergency response was finally begun, at 6:32 a.m."

I kind of remember something about two with stolen passports. Did anyone get on the plane instead? Or did nobody get on the plane using their passports?

I'd completely forgotten about this but the suggestion seems to be that two others boarded in their place and using their passports. Hmmm. Has this ever been verified by the airline? They must know whether those seats were checked in or not. There must have been CCTV of people in the airport. Surely there'd have been "can you identify these men" headlines at the time?

Jun 29, 2019
MH370 news: How investigators focused on ‘two suspicious passengers’ with stolen passports
"According to Channel 5’s ‘Flight MH370’ investigators homed in on these two individuals.
Former civil aviation authority Azhaniddin Abdul Rahman told a press conference: “We have the CCTV recording of the passengers from check-in right to the departure point.”

The men were photographed boarding the flight with the stolen passports.
MH370 news: How investigators focused on ‘two suspicious passengers’ with stolen passports
"At first, there were suspicions that they could be a terror link between these passengers and the disappearance of MH370."
mh370-news-1146759.jpg

The two men caught on airport CCTV (Image: CHANNEL 5)
mh370-channel-5-1936737.jpg

One of the men whose passports were stolen, according to Channel 5 (Image: CHANNEL 5)
The documentary’s narrator said: “Having tracked down the genuine passport holders, police reveal their two passengers were Iranian.

“Could they be linked to terrorism in the Middle East?”

"However, it soon became clear these young people were just seeking a new life in Europe.
Mr Mehrdad, 18, was hoping to join his mother in Germany and seek asylum."

"Former Malaysian police chief Khalid Abu Bakar said publicly: “We believe that he is not likely to be a member of any terrorist group and we believe he was trying to migrate to Germany.”

Mr Mehrdad apparently chose a long a circuitous route from Iran to Kuala Lumpur, through to Beijing, Amsterdam and Frankfurt, presumably to avoid detection.

Officials added: “His mother is waiting for him,” confirming that she had been in touch.

Interpol identified the other man as Mr Mohammadreza, 29, but less is known about his origins".

Possibly a re-post, excellent, very lengthy article with lots of detail.
The Atlantic
June 17 2019 Story by William Langewiesche
What Really Happened to Malaysia’s Missing Airplane

"In the cabin were 10 flight attendants, all of them Malaysian. They had 227 passengers to care for, including five children. Most of the passengers were Chinese; of the rest, 38 were Malaysian, and in descending order the others came from Indonesia, Australia, India, France, the United States, Iran, Ukraine, Canada, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Russia, and Taiwan. Up in the cockpit that night, while First Officer Fariq flew the airplane, Captain Zaharie handled the radios. The arrangement was standard. Zaharie’s transmissions were a bit unusual. At 1:01 a.m. he radioed that they had leveled off at 35,000 feet—a superfluous report in radar-surveilled airspace where the norm is to report leaving an altitude, not arriving at one. At 1:08 the flight crossed the Malaysian coastline and set out across the South China Sea in the direction of Vietnam. Zaharie again reported the plane’s level at 35,000 feet.

Eleven minutes later, as the airplane closed in on a waypoint near the start of Vietnamese air-traffic jurisdiction, the controller at Kuala Lumpur Center radioed, “Malaysian three-seven-zero, contact Ho Chi Minh one-two-zero-decimal-nine. Good night.” Zaharie answered, “Good night. Malaysian three-seven-zero.” He did not read back the frequency, as he should have, but otherwise the transmission sounded normal. It was the last the world heard from MH370. The pilots never checked in with Ho Chi Minh or answered any of the subsequent attempts to raise them.

Primary radar relies on simple, raw pings off objects in the sky. Air-traffic-control systems use what is known as secondary radar. It depends on a transponder signal that is transmitted by each airplane and contains richer information—for instance, the airplane’s identity and altitude—than primary radar does. Five seconds after MH370 crossed into Vietnamese airspace, the symbol representing its transponder dropped from the screens of Malaysian air traffic control, and 37 seconds later the entire airplane disappeared from secondary radar. The time was 1:21 a.m., 39 minutes after takeoff. The controller in Kuala Lumpur was dealing with other traffic elsewhere on his screen and simply didn’t notice. When he finally did, he assumed that the airplane was in the hands of Ho Chi Minh, somewhere out beyond his range.

The Vietnamese controllers, meanwhile, saw MH370 cross into their airspace and then disappear from radar. They apparently misunderstood a formal agreement by which Ho Chi Minh was supposed to inform Kuala Lumpur immediately if an airplane that had been handed off was more than five minutes late checking in. They tried repeatedly to contact the aircraft, to no avail. By the time they picked up the phone to inform Kuala Lumpur, 18 minutes had passed since MH370’s disappearance from their radar screens. What ensued was an exercise in confusion and incompetence. Kuala Lumpur’s Aeronautical Rescue Coordination Centre should have been notified within an hour of the disappearance. By 2:30 a.m., it still had not been. Four more hours elapsed before an emergency response was finally begun, at 6:32 a.m."
It is amazing, the incompetence that comes to light *after* a tragedy. If only there was a way to test competence on a regular, ongoing basis, instead of finding out when it's too late.

I remember the photos of the two now, thanks @dotr. Amazing how much I have forgotten in the last 5 years or so!!
Seems that i had forgotten about that as well, guess with all the information and disinformation regarding the missing plane, it has been overlooked, even by the media.
A simple explanation for the passports was given and apparently accepted, maybe time to check again?!
speculation, mo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back