GUILTY Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST* #2

I don't understand. Were these 7 incidents simply not reported to the police until now? How did this behavior go unnoticed for so long? Is it because none of the prior victims were seriously injured? Was it written off as an accident each time and they never bothered to look for the car and driver trying to run people over?

:eek::mad::confused:o_O

from the Washington Post article:

Women in two of the previous cases reported to police, but the cases were closed

it seems that only two were reported but I hope we will get more detail ..........

I don't understand. Were these 7 incidents simply not reported to the police until now? How did this behavior go unnoticed for so long? Is it because none of the prior victims were seriously injured? Was it written off as an accident each time and they never bothered to look for the car and driver trying to run people over?

:eek::mad::confused:o_O
[URL='https://www.ert.gr/perifereiakoi-stathmoi/chania/o-drastis-oi-endechomenes-alles-epitheseis-o-fovos-i-siopi/']
https://www.ert.gr/perifereiakoi-stathmoi/chania/o-drastis-oi-endechomenes-alles-epitheseis-o-fovos-i-siopi/[/URL]

This is the source the Washington post article links to. Two of the cases were reported to police but were closed “due to abandonment”. To be honest I’m not quite sure what that means and perhaps the other Greeks on this forum can shed more light.

More things of note:

6 out of the 7 incidences involved tourists.

The days following the murder, he would go to his home without his car. I’m taking this to mean he used another car.

He has a history of antisocial behavior. Swallowing live worms in public. Expelled from his school ( could be why his spelling is so poor), torturing the family dog.

Article also has a number to call if anyone else experienced anything by him.

Article concludes that incidences May of gone unreported because people were afraid he would retaliate against them. That he would be arrested and released back in society.

Ο δράστης, οι ενδεχόμενες άλλες επιθέσεις, ο φόβος, η σιωπή... - ert.gr

This is the source the Washington post article links to. Two of the cases were reported to police but were closed “due to abandonment”. To be honest I’m not quite sure what that means and perhaps the other Greeks on this forum can shed more light.

More things of note:

6 out of the 7 incidences involved tourists.

The days following the murder, he would go to his home without his car. I’m taking this to mean he used another car.

He has a history of antisocial behavior. Swallowing live worms in public. Expelled from his school ( could be why his spelling is so poor), torturing the family dog.

Article also has a number to call if anyone else experienced anything by him.

Article concludes that incidences May of gone unreported because people were afraid he would retaliate against them. That he would be arrested and released back in society.

I don't know for sure, but that sounds as if the police dropped the cases when the victims left Crete. If they were tourists and not seriously injured, I guess I can understand why they would prefer to leave and continue their vacations instead of staying and pressing charges. It's just so unfortunate that no one caught him at these acts before he escalated to murder.

MOO

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ice-say/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.82eb25e602f9

Paraskakis has been arrested before for arson and has harmed and killed animals, the news outlet added, though the site does not provide more details.

BBM

I've heard from someone who knows the perp's family that as a child the perp would cut the legs off of chickens. (tag this JMO)

This is an excerpt re: IATC (intentional animal torture and cruelty) and serial killers:

When the science of behavioural profiling began to emerge in the 1970s, one of the most consistent findings reported by the FBI profiling unit was that childhood IATC appeared to be a common behaviour among serial murderers and rapists (i.e., those with psychopathic traits characterized by impulsivity, selfishness, and lack of remorse). Many notorious serial killers – such as Jeffrey Dahmer – began by torturing and killing animals in their childhood.

The Psychology of Animal Torture

SBM

οι υποθέσεις ωστόσο έκλεισαν ως ανεξιχνίαστα τροχαία με εγκατάλειψη

the cases nevertheless were closed as unsolved hit-and-run* road accidents

*literally "with abandonment," but in the sense of abandons the scene

(my translation only)

*gasp*

Authorities are investigating at least seven other attacks on pedestrians reportedly involving a car similar to the one that struck Eaton, according to Greece’s state-owned broadcaster, Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ice-say/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2b9af5c850af

We have to keep in mind that Greek broadcasting information has been filled with sensational gossip, and unverified or false information. We know this from reading articles before and after the arrest.

From the link, we know that 2 were reported to police. Until police state that there were 7 reports, I think we should be cautious about believing that there were two.

"Authorities are investigating at least seven other attacks on pedestrians reportedly involving a car similar to the one that struck Eaton, according to Greece’s state-owned broadcaster, Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation.

Women in two of the previous cases reported to police, but the cases were closed, the broadcaster said."​

again from that same ERT article:

Ακόμα και σήμερα, άνθρωποι που γνωρίζουν, διστάζουν να μιλήσουν, αφού είναι βέβαιοι ότι ο δράστης θα «πέσει στα μαλακά» και ότι θα βρεθεί πίσω στον κοινό μικρόκοσμο, με ότι αυτό συνεπάγεται.

And even today, people who know (things about the perp), they are hesitant to talk, since they are sure that the perpetrator will "get off lightly" and that he'll be back in the small community with all that that entails/means.

(my translation only)

Last edited:
How reliable are the Greek articles? It seems that very little of the articles published prior to her disappearance actually match the facts of the case per the confession.

I have the sense that his confession might evolve. His current story seems to downplay what happened.

It may be similar to the Chris Watts case: secure an initial confession even though it minimizes the crimes. From there build the case based on the forensics.

Murderer Russell Williams was given a choice during his interrogation after being confronted with the evidence against him.

It’s part of the Reid technique (as you probably know) where the killer is given options about how his crime will be portrayed.

If you don't give me your story, we're going to have a different one, which is you're a cold-blooded psychopath. Is that what you want? Or do you want to control the situation?
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.869240

OPP detective used ‘Reid technique’ to get Russell Williams to confess

IMO, they may have given Yiannis the same choice.

But otherwise I completely agree with you about the apparent incorrect reporting in this case. It’s baffling.

Ακόμα και σήμερα, άνθρωποι που γνωρίζουν, διστάζουν να μιλήσουν, αφού είναι βέβαιοι ότι ο δράστης θα «πέσει στα μαλακά» και ότι θα βρεθεί πίσω στον κοινό μικρόκοσμο, με ότι αυτό συνεπάγεται.

And even today, people who know (things about the perp), they are hesitant to talk, since they are sure that the perpetrator will "get off lightly" and that he'll be back in the small community with all that that entails/means.

(my translation only)

I share the same unease regarding the Greek judicial system that is mentioned in that excerpt.

If this heinous crime happened in one of the U.S. states that allows the DP, this perp would be sentenced to death, because the rape of the victim is an aggravating factor, which makes this a capital crime.

For example, in Texas:

Under Texas statutes, a murder is capital if the offender:

2. Intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit aggravated kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat

BBM

Capital punishment in Texas - Wikipedia

IMO this perp, as a result of his heinous crimes, has forfeited his right to life, and should be executed by the state. The fact that there is no DP in Crete is enraging. At a minimum this perp should be given life without the possibility of parole. But, I don't think that will happen. Given the lenient nature of the Greek judicial system, it wouldn't surprise me if this perp is back on the streets in 15-25 years.

IMO the evidence is overwhelming that deranged psychopath sexual murderers like this perp cannot be rehabilitated. If they put this perp back on the streets, there is a high probability that this perp will re-offend.

MOO

Last edited:

That's problematic. I suppose he chose foreigners because he assumed that the community would care less. I half wonder if the case would be solved if Suzanne was not an internationally renowned microbiologist. If it was a tourist rather than a conference keynote speaker, maybe it would go unnoticed for too long, and then perhaps the investigation would be along the lines of - if we hear something we'll follow up.

Were there other bones in the bunker? Wasn't there video of a skeleton? I wonder if police are following up on DNA analysis of that skeleton. That could easily be another victim of the same suspect.

I share the same unease regarding the Greek judicial system that is mentioned in that excerpt.

If this heinous crime happened in one of the U.S. states that allows the DP, this perp would be sentenced to death, because the rape of the victim is an aggravating factor, which makes this a capital crime.

For example, in Texas:

2. Intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit aggravated kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat

BBM

IMO this perp, as a result of his heinous crimes, has forfeited his right to life, and should be executed by the state. The fact that there is no DP in Crete is enraging. At a minimum this perp should be given life without the possibility of parole. But, I don't think this will happen. Given the lenient nature of the Greek judicial system, it wouldn't surprise me if this perp is back on the streets in 15-25 years.

IMO the evidence is overwhelming that deranged psychopath sexual murderers like this perp cannot be rehabilitated. If they put this perp back on the streets, there is a high probability that this perp will re-offend.

MOO

Keep in mind that the USA is the only Westernized country that practices capital punishment. Countries where capital punishment was abolished decades ago deem offenders like this as dangerous offenders with no release date. They live out their lives in solitary confinement, or psychiatric institutions, where they slowly go completely mad.

Keep in mind that the USA is the only Westernized country that practices capital punishment. Countries where capital punishment was abolished decades ago deem offenders like this as dangerous offenders with no release date. They live out their lives in solitary confinement, or psychiatric institutions, where they slowly go completely mad.

That may be theoretically true, but in practice it is not.
In practice, only if there are many, many victims will perps likely serve their entire lives in jail.
For example, see the case of the Cyprus SK:

In sentencing the former army captain to seven prison terms of 25 years

Cyprus serial killer handed seven life sentences
Cypriot serial killer given seven life sentences

In the current case in Crete, there is one murdered victim (and potentially many attempted murder victims) which leads me to suspect that this perp will be back on the streets in 15-25 yrs (which would make him only 42-52 yrs old upon his release).

MOO

Last edited:
That's problematic. I suppose he chose foreigners because he assumed that the community would care less. I half wonder if the case would be solved if Suzanne was not an internationally renowned microbiologist. If it was a tourist rather than a conference keynote speaker, maybe it would go unnoticed for too long, and then perhaps the investigation would be along the lines of - if we hear something we'll follow up.

SBM

If it wasn't for the good fortune/karma/Divine Providence of the amateur cave hunters being in the area to find the body (relatively) quickly, I think there would have been more murder victims in Crete, as this perp fits the psychopath sexual murderer SK profile to a T.

MOO

For example, in Texas:

BBM

IMO this perp, as a result of his heinous crimes, has forfeited his right to life, and should be executed by the state. The fact that there is no DP in Crete is enraging. At a minimum this perp should be given life without the possibility of parole. But, I don't think this will happen. Given the lenient nature of the Greek judicial system, it wouldn't surprise me if this perp is back on the streets in 15-25 years.

MOO

I think what may be on our side [ agreeing the perp needs to be locked up for life ] is the intense international media attention this case has received. I wonder since SE was a foreigner, if some other types of international law apply here. No doubt her family will fight for a harsh punishment and no doubt there will be international outrage at a light sentence. Plus tourism is Greece’s bread and butter and I don’t think Greece wants to suffer anymore damage to it’s safe reputation - especially given how the perp has a history of this behavior and it was handled too lightly in the past. Of course this is all my opinion and speculation. I happen to live in Texas and am not familiar with the judicial system in Greece and Europe. Texas certainly doesn’t play around with perps like these.

That may be theoretically true, but in practice it is not.
In practice, only if there are many, many victims will perps likely serve their entire lives in jail.
For example, see the case of the Cyprus SK:

In sentencing the former army captain to seven prison terms of 25 years

Cyprus serial killer handed seven life sentences
Cypriot serial killer given seven life sentences

In the current case in Crete, there is one murdered victim (and potentially many attempted murder victims) which leads me to suspect that this perp will be back on the streets in 15-25 yrs (which would make him only 42-52 yrs old upon his release).

MOO

There is very little online English language information about sentencing in Greece.

We don't know whether there is a sentence reduction for a confession, which is the case in some other EU countries. We don't know whether kidnapping, sexual assault, and murder result in an accumulation of sentences and consecutive sentencing, or whether only the most serious charge is taken into consideration. We don't know whether the severity and brutality of the assault, as with the assault on Suzanne, can be considered for psychiatric evaluation and incarceration.

SBM

If it wasn't for the good fortune/karma/Divine Providence of the amateur cave hunters being in the area to find the body (relatively) quickly, I think there would have been more murder victims in Crete, as this perp fits the psychopath sexual murderer SK profile to a T.

MOO

One of the post-confession articles suggested that the suspect did not expect anyone to look in the bunker, and that the two people who found Suzanne were looking for her at the bunker.

Then again, reporting of facts is fuzzy, so take that with a grain of salt.

I think what may be on our side [ agreeing the perp needs to be locked up for life ] is the intense international media attention this case has received. I wonder since SE was a foreigner, if some other types of international law apply here. No doubt her family will fight for a harsh punishment and no doubt there will be international outrage at a light sentence. Plus tourism is Greece’s bread and butter and I don’t think Greece wants to suffer anymore damage to it’s safe reputation - especially given how the perp has a history of this behavior and it was handled too lightly in the past. Of course this is all my opinion and speculation. I happen to live in Texas and am not familiar with the judicial system in Greece and Europe. Texas certainly doesn’t play around with perps like these.

What concerns me is let's suppose the perp is sentenced to 35-40 years and the international community is satisfied, but, 15-25 years later, when the case is mostly forgotten in the media, the perp gets out for "good behavior."
I was talking with a friend today about this possibility, and we both agreed that this getting out early for "good behavior" is a strong possibility.

MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DuckierPresents