Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to be traveling I70 Sunday- Tuesday from Kentucky to Colorado- any weather I should be aware of? I get nervous in flat land lol!

Metro Detroit weather: Excessive heat warning continues Saturday

Afternoon showers and thunderstorms

DETROIT - An excessive heat warning is in effect for Detroit and Southeast Michigan (Heat Advisory for Sanilac County) until 8 p.m. ET, Saturday.

Welcome to Saturday, Motown!

The last day of a dangerous heat and humidity alert is today, but not the last of summer-like weather or a day with showers and thunderstorms...

Our subdivision is getting curb and road renovation that has been going on for several weeks. The final phase - new asphalt - was supposed to be completed yesterday and today. They did cul de sacs in the north part of the sub yesterday but are apparently not working today. We thought that we might not be able to get out of the sub (or back in) for several hours, but maybe they decided not to work in this sweltering heat. Hopefully, we'll get some rain later today, and this excessive heatwave will conclude. Be safe.

Last edited:
Shut up!

I dream of autumn and my electric blanket.

It’s miserably hot here.

Well, that is life in Montana. I am glad it is cool so far this Summer. We live in an old house, no AC. Right, who needs AC in Montana? Well, it is okay so far...I am finally installing a ceiling fan in the guest bedroom. The instructions are in Chinese, Spanish, and French. I am letting the men figure it out.

In addition to excessive heat warnings, there are now severe thunderstorm watches/warnings for southeastern lower Michigan. DH and I ran some errands this afternoon and had early dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. We are home for the rest of the evening and are crossing our fingers that we get some much-needed rain (without power outage) and cooler temperatures tomorrow. Weather Alerts for Detroit, Southeast Michigan | ClickOnDetroit

Not the Midwest, but I just texted with a friend in N.C. who has three horses who are living outside in the shade while her barn is being built. She’s hosing them down, frequently refilling their water buckets with cold water and giving them cold treats like watermelon and frozen fruit. Lots of work for her, so I hope she’s doing the same for herself!

She just sent me this cartoon...

upload_2019-7-20_15-1-57.jpeg

Last edited:
Not the Midwest, but I just texted with a friend in N.C. who has three horses who are living outside in the shade while her barn is being built. She’s hosing them down, frequently refilling their water buckets with cold water and giving them cold treats like watermelon and frozen fruit. Lots of work for her, so I hope she’s doing the same for herself!

She just sent me this cartoon...

View attachment 194238
For the last two days I’ve given the chickens frozen fruit every hour or two to keep them cool. Only had to submerge one in a cold bath today. Got through this heat wave without any casualties.

DTE Energy: 375,000 customers without power Sunday after storms

1,100 power lines downed Saturday night

DETROIT - Heavy downpours, thunderstorms and wind gusts in excess of 70 mph from Friday and Saturday night's storms that moved through southeast Michigan left thousands of DTE customers without power.

As of Sunday morning, DTE reported 375,000 customers are without power...

Utilities scramble to restore power to 500,000 Michigan customers

Utility crews are scrambling this morning to restore power to about a half million Michigan customers after another severe storm Saturday night.

DTE Energy said about 375,000 customers were without power as of 6 a.m. Consumers Energy said 121,000 customers were without power as of 5 a.m.

The utilities blamed high winds for knocking down power lines, adding to the damage from Friday's storms. The storm damage came in the aftermath of record-tying 97-degree heat on Saturday. Temperatures are expected to reach a high of only about 80 degrees today...

We had a momentary power surge last night but didn't lose power. DH had to do some backyard cleanup this morning as there were small tree branches, leaves, etc. strewn about following wind and rain. It's about 10 degrees cooler than it was yesterday at this time, but the humidity is high and air feels thick. More rain in today's forecast. Enjoy your Sunday.

For the last two days I’ve given the chickens frozen fruit every hour or two to keep them cool. Only had to submerge one in a cold bath today. Got through this heat wave without any casualties.

When it turns 90 here, I give the cat her yearly bath. It was last week, for one day. Our lone tomato plant has a few greenies on it. We may get a few in August.

DTE Energy: 250,000 remain without power Monday morning in SE Michigan

90 percent to be restored by end of Tuesday, DTE says

The worst of the heat wave seems to be over, but it still feels humid. I managed to spend half hour outdoors yesterday for some much-needed deadheading and pruning of geraniums and vinca vine. It's been too hot to cook but I'm going to make turkey Bolognese today. Be well.

DTE Energy: 250,000 remain without power Monday morning in SE Michigan

90 percent to be restored by end of Tuesday, DTE says

The worst of the heat wave seems to be over, but it still feels humid. I managed to spend half hour outdoors yesterday for some much-needed deadheading and pruning of geraniums and vinca vine. It's been too hot to cook but I'm going to make turkey Bolognese today. Be well.

Hope so! My sons are in the Metro Detroit area and have been without power since Saturday.

Reactions: byo
I’m going to be traveling I70 Sunday- Tuesday from Kentucky to Colorado- any weather I should be aware of? I get nervous in flat land lol!
If you are thinking that Kansas is flat it is not. It is a total misconception. It is boring as heck but not flat at all. There are rolling hills of prairie land out west. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member