UAE oil tanker missing in Strait of Hormuz after drifting into Iranian waters, July 2019

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
An oil tanker traveling through the tiny strip of water located in the mouth of the Persian Gulf stopped transmitting its location more than two days ago when it drifted into Iranian waters.

It is not clear what happened to the Panamanian-flagged oil tanker – which is based in the United Arab Emirates – on Saturday night as it traveled through the Strait of Hormuz, but its apparent disappearance has raised concerns amid heightened tensions between Iran and several Western nations.

UAE oil tanker missing in Strait of Hormuz after drifting into Iranian waters

Is this a second tanker? I think it is. The same strait.
The first one from the link above says unnamed tanker. This one is British name Steno Impero
Iran seizes British tanker in Strait of Hormuz

In this link it talks about 2 British tankers being seized but I'm not sure if one of them is the original from a few days ago.
The Stena Impero's owners say they have been unable to contact their vessel, which had 23 personnel on board and was "heading north towards Iran".

It was surrounded by four vessels and a helicopter, Mr Hunt said.

A second British-owned Liberian-flagged tanker was boarded by armed guards but is now free to continue its journey.

The Mesdar's Glasgow-based operator Norbulk Shipping UK said communication had been re-established with the vessel after it was boarded by armed guards at around 17:30 BST on Friday and its crew was "safe and well".

There were 25 personnel on board the Mesdar when it was surrounded by 10 speedboats, Mr Hunt said.

These developments are very concerning it is going to be interesting to see how countries respond. I can see the price of oil and gas/petrol rocketing if things escalate but hopefully tensions will subside.

Is this a second tanker? I think it is. The same strait.
The first one from the link above says unnamed tanker. This one is British name Steno Impero
Iran seizes British tanker in Strait of Hormuz

In this link it talks about 2 British tankers being seized but I'm not sure if one of them is the original from a few days ago.

It gets confusing with all these ships flying flags of different countries. Only one of the two "British tankers" was actually British (the Mesdar) and it was flying a Liberian flag. The Mesdar was captured and released.

The other one (the Steno Impero) is Swedish owned, but flying a British flag. Apparently it's because of the flag it was flying that Britain is so involved, as according to the BBC "Historically speaking it means that the UK owes protection to the vessel."

So the captured vessel is Swedish, the crew are Indian, Russian, Latvian and Filipino, and its only connection with the UK appears to be that it was flying their Union Jack. This of course, doesn't make the situation of less concern, but I guess optics are everything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back