CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe he had anything to do with it either. Not impossible for sure, but doesn't feel right. Abduction doesn't either. I confess I'm at a loss if she just went missing though, for her not to be found. I don't know what's around there in that immediate area- mine shafts, lava tubes, sink holes - and I don't know where SAR has searched of these do exist.

Suzanne Eaton was out there running/walking much longer and by herself. I'm not sure it's an equal comparison to Barbara. JMO
That's the puzzling thing. There's been a massive search effort including people, dogs, and helicopters, and it has been 8 days now. The question remains. Why hasn't she been found with such a massive week-long search? According to RT, they were not far from the RV - less than a half mile.

Is there a meaningful life insurance policy on BT?

What is their financial situation? Are they in debt? What kind of income do they have?
According to what the nephew posted earlier they had just bought the camper and the truck. Nephew was not verified at that time so we can't take that as fact, but the camper looks pretty new and the truck I don't think is very old. The combination I think would have been near $100,000.00 or more.

Not the safest area to be wandering around alone. There is a rougb crowd in the area, and people go missing in the desert there, frequently. Usually, loners, runaways, addicts, street people, the "invisible" people in our society.

Not a safe place to go for hikes then.
Why would she take off walking alone if she is familiar with the area?
That is also a good reason for the husband to jump to the kidnapped conclusion.

I am assuming HLN is an approved media source. If I'm wrong, I apologize. Mike Galanos of HLN posted that video on his FB page.

This video was from True Crime Live on HLN yesterday. Part news/part discussion of the case.

Bikini-clad hiker missing in the Mojave Desert

ETA: changed HSN to HLN. I know Home Shopping Network isn't news. :)
Wow ! Great find - I especially appreciate the overview of that road - answers a lot of questions I had...

Why did she go ahead of him while he was taking a picture(s)? Has he given an explanation for this?
Although I'm in the -she was never there to begin with - camp, it's not because I found RT to be odd, creepy, off … In fact, to to this question, I find him very believable. He states he doesn't know why she went ahead when he stopped to take pics. That sounds right. My wife, in the scenario, would do the same. Continue to walk forward wordlessly.

According to what the nephew posted earlier they had just bought the camper and the truck. Nephew was not verified at that time so we can't take that as fact, but the camper looks pretty new and the truck I don't think is very old. The combination I think would have been near $100,000.00 or more.

“According to what the nephew posted earlier they had just bought the camper and the truck.”

Whose name is the title of the Truck and RV in.

I just don't think it's weird in that environment.
Remember, RT was also carrying water, per his statement.
There’s no delicate way to say this and it is total speculation, but perhaps these are folks that typically have a beer on (or in) hand. I also like my beer but I’m 66 and would never take a two-mile desert hike with a beer, even if water were also handy. I’d look forward to a cold one when I got back to the RV.

Probably you guys have already said this so ignore it and me if so. Upon reflection, what he said makes me think that maybe she got mad at him, grabbed a beer (dramatic effect maybe—MOO), told him, “I’m out of here” or “I’m out of here and I’m catching the next ride to Vegas” or whatever and stalked off toward the road. And then what happened? I don’t know and I’m not saying that I think she actually would go to the road to hitch a ride but I can see people—innocent or guilty—being reluctant to say that they’d had a fight with someone right before the person went missing. Maybe she went that way intending to find better cell service to get someone to come her. Maybe that upset him so maybe the story is somewhat true and somewhat not. Like all of you, I’m sure, I don’t care what is or is not true as much as I want this woman found, safe, preferably. MOO.

I wish we could get verification of exactly what Barbara was wearing and carrying. Her husband has been quoted as saying she was wearing a bikini and carrying a beer, but (if she was there at all) she could have been wearing a two piece (bikini top and shorts) and carrying beer in a travel mug, One sounds odd and the other sounds reasonable.

In other words, one sounds like a teenager partying out in the desert, and the other sounds like appropriate apparel for the heat, as is carrying a cold drink/beer in a travel mug to keep it cool. A can would get hot, maybe hurt her hands, and more importantly, who drinks hot beer?

I just can't picture a woman who is almost 70 wearing a bikini and carrying a can of beer while walking around in the desert - that would make most people look twice. I'm not saying she shouldn't do this, just that it would be unusual.

Has it been reported where she was last seen by someone other than her husband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member