CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

July 20th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near the I-40

MISSING PERSON

Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, Az.
5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes
Last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

UPDATE #8
Saturday, July 20th, the search continues this morning for Barbara Thomas.
Eighty (80) Search and Rescue members from throughout the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department were deployed into the field this morning just after sunrise. Off-road vehicles, K9 units, certified in cave searches, rope climbing and desert terrain ground hikers are being utilized today. Aviation will be assisting throughout the search operation.

There has been no evidence of Barbara Thomas located on previous days. Temperatures are expected to reach over 100 degrees.

July 20th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near the I-40

MISSING PERSON

Last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

UPDATE #8
Saturday, July 20th, the search continues this morning for Barbara Thomas.
Eighty (80) Search and Rescue members from throughout the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department were deployed into the field this morning just after sunrise. Off-road vehicles, K9 units, certified in cave searches, rope climbing and desert terrain ground hikers are being utilized today. Aviation will be assisting throughout the search operation.

There has been no evidence of Barbara Thomas located on previous days. Temperatures are expected to reach over 100 degrees.
New in the search today;
  • K9 units, certified in cave searches, rope climbing

Did Ms T pack bag(s) for Voluntary Departure?
Should we conclude - Ms T did not pack bag(s) w personal effects such as clothing, cosmetics, Rx & meds, etc, in anticipation of a voluntary departure?
Did husband say ^? AFAIK, no. If he claims 'no packing' now, seems to contradict his earlier abduction theory.
Did LE say this ^? AFAIK, no. If LE has concluded this & not made public stmt, could be a move from lost theory to other/foul play/crime theory.

Other points re packing: Could husband accurately determine that Ms T did not pack bag(s)? If she virtually emptied her closet/dresser/vanity, etc, then he could. Buuuuuuut...if she packed only a small part of her personal effects, well, maybe not.

Packing/no packing for planned vol-dep puzzle is complicated by other packing.
What effects would she pack for vol-dep?
For RV trip, likely she had packed some effects from home.*
Had she started packing for Asia? Carry-on or checking bag(s)?
What effects, esp types of clothing--
- for vol-dep?
- for upcoming Asia trip?
What is missing from closet/dresser/vanity?

In recent past, did she go on a buying spree or stockpile purchases of clothes, etc for vol-dep, unknown to husband? Bank/financial records? Did she stash bag(s) off site from home or RV? Public storage locker? Friend’s home?

Seems it could be difficult for LE to determine whether she had packed bag(s) for a planned vol-dep. Lots of variables & possibilities. All just imo, spec.

ETA: On a lighter note, I thought by the time I finished this post, Ms T would be found, checked out & rehydrated, and quaffing a brewski.

* Some ready-to-go RV owners leave certain personal effects in the rig between trips, while others pack rig on a trip-by-trip basis.

Last edited:
Please know- I don't mean to sound heartless, and I know it can happen, but what are the chances that an elderly person gets kidnapped in that area, at that time of day?

Again, not saying it can't happen, but for what reason would someone want to take an old lady, even if she does look younger than her age? If someone did, in my opinion, it would be someone she knew.

Unless it was a setup, highly unlikely IMHO. MOO

The number of SAR team members has also increased - from 20 to 80 - since Update 4. Unfortunately, updates 5-7 don't include the number of members. MOO
They sure seem determined (and dedicated) to find Barbara, even 8 days after she was reported missing. Usually, LE and SAR have slowed down by this point. Wondering if they're working from tips. JMO

One would assume if someone is traveling in a camper, personal belongings have been brought. That’s one of the perks of having a camper. A home away from home.

If someone wanted to walk out of their lives, they could do so without bringing personal belongings that can easily be purchased later (I don’t believe she left on her own accord). I don’t think “things” would matter much to them. This is a strategic step to take.

I personally don’t find her reported attire unusual. My grandma lived in her bathing suit in the summer. She referred to herself as a ‘sun baby’. She was comfortable and carefree. I
also don’t find the beer odd. This sounded like a very casual outing, doing things at ones own pace.

I agree bikini top with shorts is more likely than bikini only on top and bottom (for one thing it would burn one's backside to just sit on a rock for a rest!)

but it seems to me that some folks, particularly men, would call just the top "a bikini". And LE would only repeat what their source (in this case RT) has told them.

MOO

According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Colorado River Station, the search continues on Saturday, July 20th, 2019 for missing person, 69 years old Barbara Thomas from Bullhead City, Arizona, in the Mohave Desert near Essex, California.

d_78bnivuaekqqt367263261322537657.jpg

d_78bniuiaap_to4781405263289974989.jpg

d_78bnku8aazbw88977895483119969896.jpg

Eighty (80) Search and Rescue members from throughout the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department were deployed into the field this morning just after sunrise. Off-road vehicles, K9 units, certified in cave searches, rope climbing and desert terrain ground hikers are being utilized today. Aviation will be assisting throughout the search operation.

News Update!!: Essex, CA: Search for hiker Barbara Thomas continues Saturday as a week goes by since becoming missing.

It isn't us that is taking notice of this- it was the husband, and the way that he said it. I could care less what she was wearing- to me, that has nothing to do with why she is missing. Women and men have been kidnapped in all sorts of clothing items, so it doesn't matter in the end, except to her husband- he even mentioned she had a beer in her hand- to the media, mind you.
A beer that wouldn’t even have looked like a beer, since it was in a travel cup. Why not say she was carrying a cup?

I don’t know how I feel about him, but some things do seem “off.”

According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department’s Colorado River Station, the search continues on Saturday, July 20th, 2019 for missing person, 69 years old Barbara Thomas from Bullhead City, Arizona, in the Mohave Desert near Essex, California.

Eighty (80) Search and Rescue members from throughout the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department were deployed into the field this morning just after sunrise. Off-road vehicles, K9 units, certified in cave searches, rope climbing and desert terrain ground hikers are being utilized today. Aviation will be assisting throughout the search operation.

News Update!!: Essex, CA: Search for hiker Barbara Thomas continues Saturday as a week goes by since becoming missing.
Assuming cadaver dogs are included at this point?

I’m glad to see that they are searching rock formations and caves. Does anyone remember if the search for Paul Miller at Joshua Tree was this extensive and lengthy? Sadly, he has never been found.

They sure seem determined (and dedicated) to find Barbara, even 8 days after she was reported missing. Usually, LE and SAR have slowed down by this point. Wondering if they're working from tips. JMO
Well if they were reviewing data from warrants there may be a reason they are concentrating their search IMO

I’m glad to see that they are searching rock formations and caves. Does anyone remember if the search for Paul Miller at Joshua Tree was this extensive and lengthy? Sadly, he has never been found.
I was just going to ask this same question. How long did they search for Paul, before they started to scale back?

I have a feeling the investigation into Barbara’s disappearance is going to change directions soon.

IMO, it’s troubling to see members here seeking out the victims family.
If you read again and follow the bread crumbs as written- no one is seeking out the family at all. Something was posted on the Inside Edition that lead us to somewhere where a lot of information was put out there, on their own doing, by a family member. No one contacted that person, nor did they seek them out, it was put out there by a third party on Inside Edition, the Sheriff's Twitter, etc.

RT does not say Barbara was wearing shorts or a sports bra. He says she was wearing a bikini. LE does not say Barbara was wearing shorts or a sports bra. Their description of her clothing since the beginning has been that she was wearing a black bikini. I don't understand why this is confusing. MOO

July 18th - The search for Barbara Thomas, age 69, is continuing in the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

At about 1:13 (first interview):
"My feeling is that she was picked up. Because she had to cross the highway. She was wearing a bikini and she had a beer in her hand."

At about 1:12 (second interview)
"I feel that, uh, somebody picked her up, uh, because she was wearing a bikini, she had a beer in her hand, and she was ahead of me and she had to cross that road."
Something has been niggling in the back of my mind, with his description of what she was wearing and how he said it. I was thinking of Emily Glass in the LH case- the way he presents himself, specific details that wouldn't be necessary in media interviews, like her carrying a beer- (LE should know that, but why would the public unless there was a specific travel mug with a design on it?). Emily did something similar- remember everyone was going on and on about the pull up?

For some reason, that just stood out to me. God help me and my husband, if I ever go missing, as he probably couldn't tell LE what I was wearing. He certainly wouldn't notice my jewelry or what kind of shoes or sneakers I was wearing, haha. Seriously, hubby is not observant of things like that- he remembers what I made for dinner, the fun we had while hiking and swimming, but ask him what I was wearing- oh boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla