Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #11 *GUILTY*

Another legal question: IF BC’s Defense team knows what he did with the remains (and I think it highly likely they do), now that the trial and sentencing is over, could they divulge that (without his consent) as a humane gesture, or is that a breach of some sort of legalistic ethics?
If they know, and they may have told BC specifically not to tell them, that information would be protected under attorney client priviedge. If the attorney revealed that info they would likely be disbarred (which a truely ethical attorney might be able to live with) but also sued for big bucks by the defendant.

Being a defense attorney can be a horrible way to make a living. They represent scumbags that they know are guilty as ***k. Their job is to get them found not guilty or limit the sentence imposed.

I had a friend who gave up being an attorney and became a school teacher because he was sick of representing total scumbags

I haven't posted until tonight (since before the trial) because it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about YY and her family. My love and prayers go out to them.

IMO, at least one juror and maybe two got through jury selection without revealing their absolute objection to the DP. In the midwest of the US there are many people that believe completely in the right to life under all circumstances. Many of these people would be called fanatics in their beliefs. While others would say that is their beliefs so be it.

To have only an 8 hour deliberation on a death penalty sentencing phase with tons of evidence and videos to review, I can only come to the conclusion that one juror said right off the bat that they don't believe in the DP and nothing anyone says in this jury room will EVER change their mind. Then they came up with some BS like booze and antidepresants combined could have caused unknown side effects to hide their true feelings about the DP.

IMO, that is the only thing that makes sense. This was a slam dunk DP case. Also, since Illinois did away with the DP a juror maybe could not seperate in their own mind Illinois law vs Federal law.

Statistics on death penalty juries also back up the lack of the majority of juries not deciding on the DP. No matter how diligent the jury selection process is, it is not fool proof. In this case I feel strongly that a right to life/no DP juror slipped through the system. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last time.

I hope the U of I settles out of court with YYs family even though fault is questionable in the civil case.

Someday, YYs remains will be found. I have to believe that in order to sleep at night.
JMVHO

I haven't posted until tonight (since before the trial) because it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about YY and her family. My love and prayers go out to them.

IMO, at least one juror and maybe two got through jury selection without revealing their absolute objection to the DP. In the midwest of the US there are many people that believe completely in the right to life under all circumstances. Many of these people would be called fanatics in their beliefs. While others would say that is their beliefs so be it.

To have only an 8 hour deliberation on a death penalty sentencing phase with tons of evidence and videos to review, I can only come to the conclusion that one juror said right off the bat that they don't believe in the DP and nothing anyone says in this jury room will EVER change their mind. Then they came up with some BS like booze and antidepresants combined could have caused unknown side effects to hide their true feelings about the DP.

IMO, that is the only thing that makes sense. This was a slam dunk DP case. Also, since Illinois did away with the DP a juror maybe could not seperate in their own mind Illinois law vs Federal law.

Statistics on death penalty juries also back up the lack of the majority of juries not deciding on the DP. No matter how diligent the jury selection process is, it is not fool proof. In this case I feel strongly that a right to life/no DP juror slipped through the system. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last time.

I hope the U of I settles out of court with YYs family even though fault is questionable in the civil case.

Someday, YYs remains will be found. I have to believe that in order to sleep at night.
JMVHO
I don’t think the juror necessarily had to be against the DP (and nor do I believe people who are adamantly opposed to the DP are fanatics). I think a lot of people, though, are all bluster, and some do not realize it about themselves. Read any comments section on a crime and you’ll see people keyboard screaming things like “hang him high.” But the reality for some of those people, whom I’m certain believe they feel this way, is that when it comes down to it, in practice, they really can’t be the reason someone gets the DP. If any of the jurors felt that way in the end, I think this was more likely to be the reason than that an adamant pro-lifer slipped through.

Now to BCs future. The Aurora Theater shooter got the crap beat out of him even though he was jailed in a segregated/protected portion of a high security prison in Colorado. He was being escourted from some type of appt back to his cell and another inmate got past the guards and pummeled him before the guards could drag him off. This was a month or so after his trial and it caused the theater shooter to be transferred to a prison out of state. A highly unusual move by the State of CO prison system.

BC has ZERO street smarts. He may initially be put in a segregated portion of a high security prison. BUT SOMEDAY, some other prisoner will get a crack at him. He won't be protected by any prison gang. He's a loner. They don't do well in prison.

I just hope after he gets the crap beat out of him a few times he will give up YYs location. Hopefully before he gets killed in prison or commits suicide.

Michelle is gone. I still hold to the theory she got flipped by the defense team by telling her if she helps get him LWOP she will never have to see him again unlike if he got the DP and she would have to testify at appeal after appeal for years or decades. I didn't believe a word she said on the stand. If she still had an ounce of care for him she wouldn't have moved to AZ. She is gone, his family doesn't really care about him, he is ALONE.
Jmo

JMVHO

It was a deeply shocking verdict and process... I expected them to take at least a week to get through the evidence presented.
I think it's as you say- exactly as you say.
But she will only be found if people search for her.
There is a massive resistance to an actual search.
Millions of theories resurfacing on why her body is 'dissolved, stolen-by-aliens or otherwise irretrievable.
Those theories will not help locate her remains and they are all her family need for catharsis.

I wonder if they attended in the full expectation that the location of her remains would be revealed?

Were they misled by the prosecution in this?
Cos, if not it is past time to begin another search for a body that is considered retrievable, whether it is or not.

There may not be sufficient interest here in the retrieval of her remains or at least having real good shot at it.

I never knew her ut my guess is that she would wish to have her body repatriated in her home country.
YY is the primary victim.
Her family are victims too.
I'm in Ireland, I can only encourage and help plan a search.
I have limited IT ability, due to a disability.
I NEED to see the streets around his apartment.. I need to see the buildings that were there when he took her.. I need a FEEL in order to intuit or even sense whether he used any .
It's not a whole pile to bring to the table, but it's all I've got.
If nobody searches, nobody will find.
It's as simple as that.

It was a deeply shocking verdict and process... I expected them to take at least a week to get through the evidence presented.
I think it's as you say- exactly as you say.
But she will only be found if people search for her.
There is a massive resistance to an actual search.
Millions of theories resurfacing on why her body is 'dissolved, stolen-by-aliens or otherwise irretrievable.
Those theories will not help locate her remains and they are all her family need for catharsis.

I wonder if they attended in the full expectation that the location of her remains would be revealed?

Were they misled by the prosecution in this?
Cos, if not it is past time to begin another search for a body that is considered retrievable, whether it is or not.

There may not be sufficient interest here in the retrieval of her remains or at least having real good shot at it.

I never knew her ut my guess is that she would wish to have her body repatriated in her home country.
YY is the primary victim.
Her family are victims too.
I'm in Ireland, I can only encourage and help plan a search.
I have limited IT ability, due to a disability.
I NEED to see the streets around his apartment.. I need to see the buildings that were there when he took her.. I need a FEEL in order to intuit or even sense whether he used any .
It's not a whole pile to bring to the table, but it's all I've got.
If nobody searches, nobody will find.
It's as simple as that.
I'll never forget YY and I will try to find her remains as long as I live. Since I live out of state, I only get back to CU two or three times a year to visit relatives and my elderly mom. I also own a small amount of property in Champaign CO that I need to check on.

My elderly mom loves to go on car rides in the country so most of my searching has been done within 30 miles of CU. I know @kittythehare that you believe her remains are closer but I have the means and the excuse to look a little further out.

When I was last in CU in May I focused on two areas: Allerton Park, 30 miles SW of CU, owned by the U of I, 1500 acres (614 ha?), maybe 100 acres devoloped as a park the rest heavily wooded and field areas with the Sangamon River running through the park. I dropped mom off at the visitor center and went off boonie stomping off trail with my binoculors. Focused on the swampy river bottoms area close to a bridge that crosses the river.

The next trip we took was to the Homer Lake Nature Preserve. Around 600 acres, 20 miles east of CU. The small lake is around 100acres, the rest is park and heavily wooded areas. I left my mom on a bench by the lake so she could bird watch and I went off boonie stomping again off trail, but not far off, to look for anything unusual.

Both of the above locations can be accessed easily from the interstate close to BCs apt. I have no idea how he could drive from his apt to the nearby interstate without a business camera catching his vehicle but maybe at night it was possible. Once on the interstate he could get to either park without passing businesses or homes close to the road. They are both in very rural areas.

Next time I'm back there I will check for new construction from mid 2017 near his apt. Many possible options there but the area around his apt is fairly well built up.

I always stop by YYs memorial garden when I'm back there. Very peaceful.
I won't quit looking. Next time I'm back there I'm heading over to Kickapoo St Park where all the old strip mine pits are located.

Don't plan to sleep tonight since I'm staying up for the final round of The Open golf being played on your beautiful island @kittythehare .

I'll never forget YY and I will try to find her remains as long as I live. Since I live out of state, I only get back to CU two or three times a year to visit relatives and my elderly mom. I also own a small amount of property in Champaign CO that I need to check on.

My elderly mom loves to go on car rides in the country so most of my searching has been done within 30 miles of CU. I know @kittythehare that you believe her remains are closer but I have the means and the excuse to look a little further out.

When I was last in CU in May I focused on two areas: Allerton Park, 30 miles SW of CU, owned by the U of I, 1500 acres (614 ha?), maybe 100 acres devoloped as a park the rest heavily wooded and field areas with the Sangamon River running through the park. I dropped mom off at the visitor center and went off boonie stomping off trail with my binoculors. Focused on the swampy river bottoms area close to a bridge that crosses the river.

The next trip we took was to the Homer Lake Nature Preserve. Around 600 acres, 20 miles east of CU. The small lake is around 100acres, the rest is park and heavily wooded areas. I left my mom on a bench by the lake so she could bird watch and I went off boonie stomping again off trail, but not far off, to look for anything unusual.

Both of the above locations can be accessed easily from the interstate close to BCs apt. I have no idea how he could drive from his apt to the nearby interstate without a business camera catching his vehicle but maybe at night it was possible. Once on the interstate he could get to either park without passing businesses or homes close to the road. They are both in very rural areas.

Next time I'm back there I will check for new construction from mid 2017 near his apt. Many possible options there but the area around his apt is fairly well built up.

I won't quit looking. Next time I'm back there I'm heading over to Kickapoo St Park where all the old strip mine pits are located.

Don't plan to sleep tonight since I'm staying up for the final round of The Open golf being played on your beautiful island @kittythehare .

This is brilliant news!
I thought Allerton too for a while based on a dream I had about her being under a statue of an angel..
I saw in testimony that the police had searched it, ut unsure how thorough their search was or whether they used cadaver dogs or not.

They stated they received tip off bout those mines you're intending to check.. I'm not sure how extensive their search was at that time either, probably worth a second look for sure..
I think I will try contacting Crimestoppers and asking them what way the land lies in regards to ongoing searches for a retrievable body...
Your post cheered me up immensely, all your posts. Thanks a lot!

I just emailed police at illinois edu. about the feasibility of a new search with cadaver dogs.
They do not respond to emails immediately, but no harm asking.
If they reply within the next few days, I'll post it here but I realise they may not and may well be inundated with emails.

As Yingying Zhang’s family holds out hope of finding her remains, her killer awaits prison assignment

URBANA — Already devastated by jurors choosing life over death for their daughter’s killer, Yingying Zhang’s parents now face the prospect of returning to China a second time without her remains.

Their plane tickets were booked for later, expecting the two-part trial of Brendt Christensen to last longer than it did. So as the Zhangs wait to fly back to their home country, they’ll meet with federal prosecutors and investigators, as well as Champaign County Crime Stoppers officials, according to family attorney Steve Beckett.

But in pretrial documents, Christensen’s lawyers stated that finding Ms. Zhang’s remains was something “over which he had no control. ... He could not guarantee that the victim’s remains would be found.”

this!!!
As for Christensen, it’s not yet clear where he’ll spend the rest of his life in prison. One thing is certain, though: His next stop won’t be as nice as his stay at the Livingston County Jail was.

The nearest high-security prison is in Terre Haute, Ind., where Christensen likely would have wound up had he been sentenced to death. Terre Haute is where federal “death row” inmates are executed and where the majority of them are sent to serve the years leading up to their execution by lethal injection.

he gets another month in the nice jailhouse complete with
his own shower, TV, phone and tablet, with access to email, music and YouTube
and
If every inmate behaved, they could get food from local restaurants on Fridays, the jail superintendent testified.

Gobsmacking, really.
No incentive at all there to fess up, yet his lack of outrageously bad behaviour while there was cited as a mitigating factor in not imposing DP.
Jurors swallowed it too, hook line and sinker.
He probably will be granted Tucson.
Michelle will have to move again...but she seems to be intertwined with his entire family too, or so it was made to appear at the fiasco.

Can we take turns, and every day someone mail BC a picture of Ms. Zhang?

Although, he'd probably like that....

Am responding to you as you seem to have some connections here. I worked at the Johnson ross plant years ago. When I got caught up in this case I decided to visit Stonegate n see where this lives. As you probably know the main entrance to this complex is off springfield. West of JR. But BCs apt is in the back with an entrance road that runs right up against JR. When I further learned that all h i s lazy *advertiser censored* ever really did was walk to the Refinery gym nearly everyday and had to literally walk along the fence to get there, it kinda clicked on me that it would be a perfect place to hide a body. At that time the plant itself was not being used. It would have been easy to slip in at night.
I do realize there is every possibility he just dropped her into any number of dumpsters. But I think he wanted her close by. I've talked to Becketts secretary and hope that he can get a real search done. As it's private property I can't just search it. Do you or anyone know how to contact this chinese consulate I keep hearing about.
And you are spot on about bc prison time. He will most definitely get messed up. Possibly even Dahmered.

Last edited:
I'd like to comment some on the 2 jurors that may have voted against DP. This was of course a darn near poster child type of case for the DP...but I just can't find fault with someone that has those beliefs. Further , it pretty much reflects the innate system of people in general. There appears to be NOTHING that 12 or any group of people can agree upon. Facebook is a perfect example. Someone can post a picture of the sun or whatever and there will be people who disagree. Just look at the US. Politics..we seem to be split down the middle. Dems and republicans. Split on abortion issues. Immigration. The list goes on.
I personally am against the DP. But would have voted it in this case. But I will not hold it against another persons beliefs.

I'd like to comment some on the 2 jurors that may have voted against DP. This was of course a darn near poster child type of case for the DP...but I just can't find fault with someone that has those beliefs. Further , it pretty much reflects the innate system of people in general. There appears to be NOTHING that 12 or any group of people can agree upon. Facebook is a perfect example. Someone can post a picture of the sun or whatever and there will be people who disagree. Just look at the US. Politics..we seem to be split down the middle. Dems and republicans. Split on abortion issues. Immigration. The list goes on.
I personally am against the DP. But would have voted it in this case. But I will not hold it against another persons beliefs.
Those who are opposed to the DP were not permitted to be jurors in this case.
Therein lies the problem.
They were assessed in advance of being selected to that end specifically.

A belief that the DP is wrong for whatever reason, religious, humanitarian or otherwise was an automatic disqualifier.

Those who are opposed to the DP were not permitted to be jurors in this case.
Therein lies the problem.
They were assessed in advance of being selected to that end specifically.

A belief that the DP is wrong for whatever reason, religious, humanitarian or otherwise was an automatic disqualifier.

Well. A person may be sitting at a dinner party and comment that they most definitely believe in the DP. Flash forward 10 years and suddenly you are on a jury in a capital case and you now hold a life in your hands. We can't denigrate someone who has these thoughts. Imo

Well. A person may be sitting at a dinner party and comment that they most definitely believe in the DP. Flash forward 10 years and suddenly you are on a jury in a capital case and you now hold a life in your hands. We can't denigrate someone who has these thoughts. Imo
Nobody is denigrating anybody for holding any views whatsoever.
Where is this coming from, exactly?
I'm anti DP.
I would not have been selected for jury duty on a DP case because these are my views.
Those that were attested they held a non opposition view to DP.
Who got wires crossed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back