Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #11 *GUILTY*

Am responding to you as you seem to have some connections here. I worked at the Johnson ross plant years ago. When I got caught up in this case I decided to visit Stonegate n see where this *** lives. As you probably know the main entrance to this complex is off springfield. West of JR. But BCs apt is in the back with an entrance road that runs right up against JR. When I further learned that all h i s lazy *advertiser censored* ever really did was walk to the Refinery gym nearly everyday and had to literally walk along the fence to get there, it kinda clicked on me that it would be a perfect place to hide a body. At that time the plant itself was not being used. It would have been easy to slip in at night.
I do realize there is every possibility he just dropped her into any number of dumpsters. But I think he wanted her close by. I've talked to Becketts secretary and hope that he can get a real search done. As it's private property I can't just search it. Do you or anyone know how to contact this chinese consulate I keep hearing about.
And you are spot on about bc prison time. He will most definitely get messed up. Possibly even Dahmered.
Well, I don't think I can be too much help on some of your questions. The Chinese Consulate office is in Chicago. Not sure how much local search info they would have but you could google their phone number and give them a call.

The UIUC Chinese Student Assoc might be a better contact for local search info. They may have a member of their Association that has been a liason with local LE and have more detailed info on what areas were searched, when, and by what organization.

If I were a full time resident of CU, I would volunteer to join the Champaign County Emergency Management Agency Search and Rescue Team. They have volunteer applications on their website though it looks a little out of date. They list a variety of Search and Rescue Team possible volunteer positions such as ground search, GPS operators, coordinators, communications, office/command center clerical staff, etc.

They offer a variety of training programs for volunteers up to full FEMA Certified Search and Rescue training. The County Emergency Management Agency looks to be under the office of the County Sheriff.

The application asks what times someone would be able to volunteer such as weekends, evenimgs, etc. And any skill sets or previous training or hobbies that might be applicable. Like computer fluency, hiking, CPR, exmilitary, GPS, map reading, boating, etc.

It might be worth it to fill out an application and go to their orientation just to meet folks and make additional contacts or find out how involved they were with the sesrch for YY. It may be worth a call to the phone number on their web page and ask them straight up about the magnitude of their sesrch efforts for YY.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Well, I don't think I can be too much help on some of your questions. The Chinese Consulate office is in Chicago. Not sure how much local search info they would have but you could google their phone number and give them a call.

The UIUC Chinese Student Assoc might be a better contact for local search info. They may have a member of their Association that has been a liason with local LE and have more detailed info on what areas were searched, when, and by what organization.

If I were a full time resident of CU, I would volunteer to join the Champaign County Emergency Management Agency Search and Rescue Team. They have volunteer applications on their website though it looks a little out of date. They list a variety of Search and Rescue Team possible volunteer positions such as ground search, GPS operators, coordinators, communications, office/command center clerical staff, etc.

They offer a variety of training programs for volunteers up to full FEMA Certified Search and Rescue training. The County Emergency Management Agency looks to be under the office of the County Sheriff.

The application asks what times someone would be able to volunteer such as weekends, evenimgs, etc. And any skill sets or previous training or hobbies that might be applicable. Like computer fluency, hiking, CPR, exmilitary, GPS, map reading, boating, etc.

It might be worth it to fill out an application and go to their orientation just to meet folks and make additional contacts or find out how involved they were with the sesrch for YY. It may be worth a call to the phone number on their web page and ask them straight up about the magnitude of their sesrch efforts for YY.

I forgot to say I know nothing about the JR building. I lived on campus mostly while going to school, rented a place in far NE Urbana for a year, have family in south Champaign, worked in downtown Champaign during summers and some during school. There wasn't much development in north Champaign when I lived there during school except Marketplace Mall. But in recent years I've been to many of the box stores in N Champaign. I've driven by the JR building many times but had no idea what it was.

In the last press conference YYZ's father gave, a woman spoke who was identified as one of the leaders of the Chicago Chinese Community. She pledged the community's support and was identified as Yman H. Vien. I only found a private Facebook profile for her.

My personal search and rescue training is pretty slim and I am by no means a verified source/expert by WS. Learned basic ocean surface search and rescue in the Navy, mountain wilderness personal safety search and rescue, basic avalanche survivor search and rescue, and recreational scuba underwater low viz bottom sesrch class.

The one thing all this training had in common was to sesrch slowly and diligently starting at the last known positive contact site. Then expand the search in circles or squares (Navy) outward from that site at a rate and speed depending upon the on site conditions or time frame of the situation (hypothermia, buried in snow, lost from wilderness camping site, etc) and personnel available.

In this case, the initial search area was large and vague. From YYs dorm room on the far south side of campus to the area around her apt appointment north of campus. Maybe 5 miles linear distance between those two points.

Then her last known spot was at the location of BC picking her up but her cell signal was lost shortly thereafter. So then her last known location was an unknown moving target pinging off a cell tower at the railroad tracks and University. There was really no solid last known spot to start a detailed search.

It wasn't until they zeroed in on BCs car and his apt that they had a good idea of her possible last known spot but they had to sesrch covertly around this spot since they were hoping BC may lead them to her. This is likely the first time the JR building was sesrched, maybe June14.

After BCs interview and the sesrch of his apt, then the full on focused search based on his apt location likely began. The JR building would have likely been searched thoroughly and all employees imnterviewed. Kaufman Lake likely searched on the surface with side scan sonar from a boat. Even good inexpensive off the shelf sonar could likely locate underwater targets the size of a volleyball for divers to investigate on the bottom (a drowning victim was found in 100' of water at a lake near me a few years ago by LE side scan sonar).

From then on the search would expand away from his apt.

This is JMO based on my very basic training in search and rescue. Did the various LE and sesrch and rescue teams look under every manhole cover within a half mile of BCs apt? We should hope so but who knows. I think after BCs interview, LE was leanimg heavily towards a body recovery instead of a rescue.

JMHO, hope someone who knows more than me can provide a better search scenario.

For those interested in following the civil lawsuit:

Deneen v. Miebach, 2:19-cv-02149

Daniel Deneen, the administrator of Zhang’s estate, filed a federal lawsuit claiming Counseling Center social workers Thomas Miebach and Jennifer Maupin failed to address Christensen’s homicidal ideations and allowed him to remain on staff at the university, creating a “specific and identifiable threat to students” on the Urbana-Champaign campus.

Documents available through CourtListener:
Docket for Deneen v. Miebach, 2:19-cv-02149 - CourtListener.com

Justia: Deneen v. Miebach et al

Law360: Deneen v. Miebach et al

Nobody is denigrating anybody for holding any views whatsoever.
Where is this coming from, exactly?
I'm anti DP.
I would not have been selected for jury duty on a DP case because these are my views.
Those that were attested they held a non opposition view to DP.
Who got wires crossed?
Someone implied earlier that anti-DP were fanatics.

My personal search and rescue training is pretty slim and I am by no means a verified source/expert by WS. Learned basic ocean surface search and rescue in the Navy, mountain wilderness personal safety search and rescue, basic avalanche survivor search and rescue, and recreational scuba underwater low viz bottom sesrch class.

The one thing all this training had in common was to sesrch slowly and diligently starting at the last known positive contact site. Then expand the search in circles or squares (Navy) outward from that site at a rate and speed depending upon the on site conditions or time frame of the situation (hypothermia, buried in snow, lost from wilderness camping site, etc) and personnel available.

In this case, the initial search area was large and vague. From YYs dorm room on the far south side of campus to the area around her apt appointment north of campus. Maybe 5 miles linear distance between those two points.

Then her last known spot was at the location of BC picking her up but her cell signal was lost shortly thereafter. So then her last known location was an unknown moving target pinging off a cell tower at the railroad tracks and University. There was really no solid last known spot to start a detailed search.

It wasn't until they zeroed in on BCs car and his apt that they had a good idea of her possible last known spot but they had to sesrch covertly around this spot since they were hoping BC may lead them to her. This is likely the first time the JR building was sesrched, maybe June14.

After BCs interview and the sesrch of his apt, then the full on focused search based on his apt location likely began. The JR building would have likely been searched thoroughly and all employees imnterviewed. Kaufman Lake likely searched on the surface with side scan sonar from a boat. Even good inexpensive off the shelf sonar could likely locate underwater targets the size of a volleyball for divers to investigate on the bottom (a drowning victim was found in 100' of water at a lake near me a few years ago by LE side scan sonar).

From then on the search would expand away from his apt.

This is JMO based on my very basic training in search and rescue. Did the various LE and sesrch and rescue teams look under every manhole cover within a half mile of BCs apt? We should hope so but who knows. I think after BCs interview, LE was leanimg heavily towards a body recovery instead of a rescue.

JMHO, hope someone who knows more than me can provide a better search scenario.
That's consistent with what I know frm local rescue too..
The thing is that I very much doubt they imagined he would have brought her home until after the vigil tape was received, day before his arrest.
Nobody did.
Nobody here even dreamt he would have brought her home.
We all assumed she gt in car and was whisked away to a remote location and our efforts were focused on where he might have stopped to immobilise her soon after taking her.
When it was confirmed for them that her last known location was his apartment, no new search was announced so it is quite possible the entire street where he lived only received a routine search, not with dogs and not a fingertip search either.
The old JR building is actually a very large site, not a single building and only a very small part of it was occupied at the time.
His car went off radar pretty soon after he picked her up.. maps of tracking were presented on first day of testimony..
And for sure it continued moving back to his apartment, but that's not what the evidence showed.

It's worth a look for sure... he was a creature of habit, not a big outdoors kind of guy so we're zoning in on what we know of his habits..
It's likely he had selected a resting place for her before he abducted her.
His desire was to kill, to be known as a serial killer, like Bundy, like the American Psycho hero, who killed clinically, without emotion... just did it..

Someone implied earlier that anti-DP were fanatics.
That is NOT what @Stratescoop said.
Go re-read her post again.
That is what you took from her post, incorrectly.
POST #42.. exact words copypaste
IMO, at least one juror and maybe two got through jury selection without revealing their absolute objection to the DP. In the midwest of the US there are many people that believe completely in the right to life under all circumstances. Many of these people would be called fanatics in their beliefs. While others would say that is their beliefs so be it.

To have only an 8 hour deliberation on a death penalty sentencing phase with tons of evidence and videos to review, I can only come to the conclusion that one juror said right off the bat that they don't believe in the DP and nothing anyone says in this jury room will EVER change their mind. Then they came up with some BS like booze and antidepresants combined could have caused unknown side effects to hide their true feelings about the DP.

For those interested in following the civil lawsuit:

Deneen v. Miebach, 2:19-cv-02149

Daniel Deneen, the administrator of Zhang’s estate, filed a federal lawsuit claiming Counseling Center social workers Thomas Miebach and Jennifer Maupin failed to address Christensen’s homicidal ideations and allowed him to remain on staff at the university, creating a “specific and identifiable threat to students” on the Urbana-Champaign campus.

Documents available through CourtListener:
Docket for Deneen v. Miebach, 2:19-cv-02149 - CourtListener.com

Justia: Deneen v. Miebach et al

Law360: Deneen v. Miebach et al
Thanks for the links...

1) Can @Stratescoop or anyone briefly describe how this civil case will proceed? I presume it’s all new lawyers or will the criminal case lawyers be involved at all? Could it drag on for years again?
2) Does the case require testimony from many of the same individuals (TEB, MZ, etc.), or, given the guilty verdict, does it only involve hearing from U of I personnel?
3) And will it likely be settled out-of-court (monetary settlement?) and never go to trial?

That is NOT what @Stratescoop said.
Go re-read her post again.
That is what you took from her post, incorrectly.
POST #42.. exact words copypaste
IMO, at least one juror and maybe two got through jury selection without revealing their absolute objection to the DP. In the midwest of the US there are many people that believe completely in the right to life under all circumstances. Many of these people would be called fanatics in their beliefs. While others would say that is their beliefs so be it.

To have only an 8 hour deliberation on a death penalty sentencing phase with tons of evidence and videos to review, I can only come to the conclusion that one juror said right off the bat that they don't believe in the DP and nothing anyone says in this jury room will EVER change their mind. Then they came up with some BS like booze and antidepresants combined could have caused unknown side effects to hide their true feelings about the DP.
I read it again. IMO, it was implied that a DP “fanatic” may have “slipped through.

I seriously expected the jury to stay on the evidence for at least a week.
What are the possible reasons for the brevity of the deliberations?
I've been trying to find legal discussions on various legal sites that were always available for other cases and I ran several searches because I cannot understand it...
8 hrs and a mountain of evidence?
The first time they took just 2 hrs but there was no debate because it was largely a cosmetic exercise, a procedural matter when they knew he was guilty.

From the civil suit complaint:

"21. During this initial assessment, Defendant Christensen demonstrated his symptoms were of the highest levels of severity where he apparently indicated that: he lost touch with reality; felt helpless; felt disconnected from himself; felt isolated and alone; suffered from spells of terror or panic; experienced recurring nightmares or flashbacks; experienced sadness or anger at the thoughts of his family; and wished for improved relations with his family."

"25. Defendant Christensen also recounted that his wife left him two days earlier and that he did not want to live anymore."

"27. At this time, Defendant Christensen also told UICC staff he had chronically abused his depression medication prescribed by a psychiatrist at the McKinley Health Center. "

"33. During his subsequent assessment, Defendant Miebach found that Defendant Christensen had “passive suicidal ideations in response to conflicts inside his marriage.”

"34. Forewarning future events, Defendant Christensen revealed that he thought about murder “in an analytical fashion,” including killing a person and getting away with it. Defendant Christensen also admitted to having purchased items that could be used in the transport and disposal of a body."

"79. Defendants Miebach and Maupin affirmatively encouraged Defendant Christensen’s homicidal ideations where they effectively represented to Defendant Christensen that his symptoms had resolved by ceasing treatment of Defendant Christensen prior to the actual resolution of his symptoms."

Full 70-page federal complaint: https://media.wcia.com/nxsglobal/illinoishomepage/document_dev/2019/06/11/1 - Complaint Filed_1560264387898_91739583_ver1.0.pdf

With regard to your three questions:

1) I am unsure as to #1
2) I would imagine this is true about #2
3) The full complaint details what the Zhang estate is seeking.

Thanks for the links...

1) Can @Stratescoop or anyone briefly describe how this civil case will proceed? I presume it’s all new lawyers or will the criminal case lawyers be involved at all? Could it drag on for years again?
2) Does the case require testimony from many of the same individuals (TEB, MZ, etc.), or, given the guilty verdict, does it only involve hearing from U of I personnel?
3) And will it likely be settled out-of-court (monetary settlement?) and never go to trial?

re: Civil suit

If the Zhang family could be awarded any & all proceeds of any book, article, media, program,etc that pays BC for participation, that works for me.

Plus whatever a court determines!

JMHO YMMV

re: Civil suit

If the Zhang family could be awarded any & all proceeds of any book, article, media, program,etc that pays BC for participation, that works for me.

Plus whatever a court determines!

JMHO YMMV
I rather thing the civil case in it's present form is dead in the water.
They may review it.
It is actually incorrect in it's present form, he was referred to an addiction treatment centre, which is what he requested at the outset.
The content of wht he told them has been proved to be incorrect- drink did not make him do it.
There have been no new additions to the civil case since we first discused it.

It may be possible for them to sue the country? I dont know...
I think wait and see..

He received 3 fines , each ogf |$250k, those must be repaid first through whatever income he receives from either prison work or any creative endeavors...
I hope they don't go home empty-handed.
But, I feel money is less important to them than the location of their daughter's remains... even if just bone remains.

More re: Civil suit

I don't think UofI or the Counseling Center is at fault at all. BC was going to carry out his crime; savvy enough to create mitigating factors for himself.

Perhaps the psychiatrist. Was BC's Counseling Center record shared with his prescribing psychiatrist at the McKinley Health Center? The Counseling Center can recommend inpatient care, a psychiatrist (IIRC) can determine that an individual is a danger to self or others & order at least a temporary inpatient stay.

Surely BC would have found that "interesting."

Terra B., you are a hero Thanks for making the world a safer place!

Am responding to you as you seem to have some connections here. I worked at the Johnson ross plant years ago. When I got caught up in this case I decided to visit Stonegate n see where this *** lives. As you probably know the main entrance to this complex is off springfield. West of JR. But BCs apt is in the back with an entrance road that runs right up against JR. When I further learned that all h i s lazy *advertiser censored* ever really did was walk to the Refinery gym nearly everyday and had to literally walk along the fence to get there, it kinda clicked on me that it would be a perfect place to hide a body. At that time the plant itself was not being used. It would have been easy to slip in at night.
I do realize there is every possibility he just dropped her into any number of dumpsters. But I think he wanted her close by. I've talked to Becketts secretary and hope that he can get a real search done. As it's private property I can't just search it. Do you or anyone know how to contact this chinese consulate I keep hearing about.
And you are spot on about bc prison time. He will most definitely get messed up. Possibly even Dahmered.
When I said I didn't know anything about the JR building or much about that area of N Champaign I wasn't kidding. I had only seen "that big building" to the south when driving down Springfield. When this case came up I realized "that big building" was the JR building.

In May when I was back in CU I had to go to the Illinois Secretary of State DMV office to renew my mom's handicap car placard. I turned west off N Mattis on Roundbarn(?) St just south of Springfield to get to the DMV.

I didn't think about that till this afternoon when I looked at google earth. I was only a couple of blocks from the JR building! If I would have relized that at the time I would have definitely nosed around the building and tried to find someone there to talk to. What a lost opportunity.

More re: Civil suit

I don't think UofI or the Counseling Center is at fault at all. BC was going to carry out his crime; savvy enough to create mitigating factors for himself.

Perhaps the psychiatrist. Was BC's Counseling Center record shared with his prescribing psychiatrist at the McKinley Health Center? The Counseling Center can recommend inpatient care, a psychiatrist (IIRC) can determine that an individual is a danger to self or others & order at least a temporary inpatient stay.

Surely BC would have found that "interesting."

Terra B., you are a hero Thanks for making the world a safer place!
He told them he was better and that he no longer had those thoughts, off the booze for a month...
I saw no red lights flashing in the course of his interview with the intern therapist.
The only thing I noticed was that towards the end his energy seemed to change and I felt he started seeing her as a target.
She handled it all very professionlly, I was surprised she was a trainee...

Yeah, big YEAH for TB>
The judge commended her too at the end.
I wish her a great happy and fulfilled life now.

When I said I didn't know anything about the JR building or much about that area of N Champaign I wasn't kidding. I had only seen "that big building" to the south when driving down Springfield. When this case came up I realized "that big building" was the JR building.

In May when I was back in CU I had to go to the Illinois Secretary of State DMV office to renew my mom's handicap car placard. I turned west off N Mattis on Roundbarn(?) St just south of Springfield to get to the DMV.

I didn't think about that till this afternoon when I looked at google earth. I was only a couple of blocks from the JR building! If I would have relized that at the time I would have definitely nosed around the building and tried to find someone there to talk to. What a lost opportunity.

I did go in there last Friday. Let's just say it was less than productive. But next time you're in town take a look at how close his apt is to that plant. I have a short video on you tube showing it. And the route to the gym that he walked to daily. The gym and video games was his life.
Type in Larry Truncale on you tube

I did go in there last Friday. Let's just say it was less than productive. But next time you're in town take a look at how close his apt is to that plant. I have a short video on you tube showing it. And the route to the gym that he walked to daily. The gym and video games was his life.
Type in Larry Truncale on you tube
It was great you did that and am so looking forward to the walking videos too.
We just need to figure who owns it. I mentioned it in both emails I sent today.
I'll let you know immediately what response was cos I know you're planning on trying to meet some people this coming week too. That's Crimestoppers and UI police.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4
Back