AZ AZ - Ida Mae Lee, 25, Grand Canyon National Park, 1956

BBM

Navaho culture is different from European-American culture. This could be a simple cultural difference.

And, @Pipsissiway_Potts, Bright Angel lodge had cabins/cottages in walled courtyards in the early '70s that had established plantings.

Good point in regards to cultural differences.

Whatever that rounded half globe doodad is called, you're right, @Laughing, it is not a "lintel" (memory entirely failed me) --You're probably Laughing at me right now ;)

Worth noting, I just read an 2008 Arizona Sun article about the Cold Case squad in Coconino County, and I found this tidbit,
...Chuck Jones, a retired FBI agent who also works on the squad
He is the contact person for the Ida Mae Lee case. I wonder if he'd be interested in contributing any information to this thread?

FamilySearch has several Ida Mae Lees, born in Arizona & New Mexico, including some that died at an advanced age.

I do not mean to devalue this lady's life in any way -- what if she left her job without a word & returned home?

Although the DNA submission goes against that.

Are there quotes from family seeking her?

Just thinking out loud, y'all know I'm really good at that!

JMHO YMMV

FamilySearch has several Ida Mae Lees, born in Arizona & New Mexico, including some that died at an advanced age.

I do not mean to devalue this lady's life in any way -- what if she left her job without a word & returned home?

Although the DNA submission goes against that.

Are there quotes from family seeking her?

Just thinking out loud, y'all know I'm really good at that!

JMHO YMMV

Ida certainly could have left her job and gone home without her telling her employer. Her family members could have let the hotel think she had disappeared. But the presence of DNA sample suggests her whereabouts are not known to her family. Her employer is unlikely to have provided one since the time of her disappearance was decades before DNA technology. Even if her employer turned over a hairbrush with strands of her hair, or used articles of her clothing, these things probably would not have been kept all this time. They probably would've been destroyed to make space for newer cases.

She could have left and not told her family, and made a new life for herself somewhere else. Her family might have thought that, and when years went by and she had not contacted them, perhaps it was then they reported her missing. Many things are possible without information to the contrary.

I have a few theories that would be easily confirmed or dismissed if the investigating officer would be willing to share information on this forum. I am trying to think of a way to persuade him to do that. There's no email contact I'm aware of, so calling or writing him are the only other options. If someone here has advice on the correct way to contact law enforcement, let me know.

This is all speculation. I believe Ida Mae did not show up for work sometime in the month of November, 1956. At some point, her employer or a friend of hers who also worked at the hotel, attempted to contact her. Ida may have lived in an on-site dormitory or lived in an apartment off-site. I noted that
Ida was last known to be working at a hotel in November of 1956 and has not been since.

From that statement I'm assuming her family reported her missing. My theory is that her family members discovered she was missing some length of time after she disappeared. They knew she was working at a hotel, but didn't know or remember the date she was absent from work. That Ida reportedly went missing November 1, 1956, suggests in the absence of an exact date, the first of the month was chosen. I also believe her employer noted within days of her disappearance because she didn't wasn't at work as scheduled. Someone, a co-worker or a friend, attempted to contact her. When Ida couldn't be found in her room or apartment, her employer MAY have contacted her family. Or they may have assumed she had run off with someone, and did not take the trouble to contact her family. Her family, may have subsequently discovered she was missing when they noticed she had not called, written, or visited for some time.

Either the family reported her missing to local LE, tribal police, or they did not. Crime among Native people is woefully under reported, and back then, it was probably much worse. To reach out to Law Enforcement would have put you under their radar, or drew unnecessary attention to yourself. If the family did contact local LE, Law Enforcement might have not given it the seriousness it deserved, given that Ida was an "Indian". This was the 1950s. Racist attitudes were tolerated and promulgated. Native people kept to themselves for the most part. The local law enforcement may have looked into her disappearance by simply calling her employer and asking them a few questions. Or they might have done a thorough investigation and got no where. It's hard to know without reading her case file.

IMHO, at some point, a family member or loved one offered a DNA sample to LE. I suspect it was in 2016. The NamUS case was created July 7, 2016. According to the NamUs profile, the date Ida was reported to the Investigating Agency was April 26, 2016. I assume this is when her case was turned over to the Cold Case squad, and not the date she was reported missing. But then I don't know that either. All speculation and theory at this point.

Very concerning that Miss Lee & Miss Begay both worked in hotels in GCNP and both disappeared in a short span of time.

I had the same thought. It's easy to see a possible connection between the two cases. Who were those two men seen with Mary Begay before she disappeared? Were those same two men seen in the company of Ida Lee? Are there more Native women besides Mary Begay and Ida Lee who disappeared between 1950 and 1960 who also worked at hotels in the Grand Canyon National Park?

It could be a hat, certainly. It could also be a hair roll since it was a popular hair style in the 1940s. Here in the West, in small towns (like I live in), there are vestiges of styles that are no longer "fashionable", so it's possible it's an older style she kept wearing even after it was out of fashion. It's also possible it was a photograph taken when she was still in her teens.
screenland4748unse
It could also be a hairstyle called "bumper bangs" which were popular in the 1950s.
50s-victory-curl-faux-bang-freckled-fox_tflhya.jpg

I second that OMG WOW! Thanks to @CastlesBurning for the GREAT find!

Ida and Preston got married in the 1940s. In 1953 Preston re-enlisted, and their youngest child, Michael, was born in 1954. Preston remarries in September of 1955. Also in 1955, the children are found abandoned in a small building on the rim of the Grand Canyon. Allegedly in November of the following year, Ida vanishes into thin air.

It doesn't make much sense for Ida to have continued to work and live into the following year in the same area where her children were abandoned. I seriously doubt that. She could've lost her job or charges brought against her for child abandonment. Besides, when the children were found, the parents could not be. Unless LE made no effort at all, they should've been able to find Ida rather easily. That is why I think the year of her disappearance is probably 1955 and not 1956. She may have gone missing as early as November 1954, after Michael was born (when was he born?), but before her husband remarried. If Preston knew Ida was missing, why would he immediately get remarried? Unless he knew she was gone for good. Or he maybe he didn't care he was entering into a bigamous marriage? Who abandoned the children and where had they been living? Where in relation to the hotel were they found? Did Ida abandon her children when she discovered her husband had married another woman? And then decide to walk away a year later? Or did she disappear within hours or days of her children being abandoned? Maybe she went on a date or was abducted and murdered. Did someone subsequently take her children and leave them in a remote place to die? Or did Ida decide to end her life or start a new one, leaving her children to fend for themselves?

Pure speculation, but I believe Ida Mae met with violence. I don't believe she willfully abandoned her children. I believe she went missing before 1956 and the year is wrong. IMO her murder was covered up by multiple people, for whatever reason, and her children were supposed to perish, because they didn't fit into the scheme of things or had witnessed something. Just my opinions only.

Ohh no I wonder what happened to her children after being found in the small abandoned building. I wonder if Ida Mae had no choice but to leave them there as she meet with violence.... Just my opinion too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back