CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good & kind sleuth posted Barbara's major life events and dates from Ancestry many pages back. I've used the search function but can't seem to find it. Can the OP or another kind soul please repost all those stats please? Or link the OP?

Ancestry isn't MSM so it may have been deleted per TOS.

Hello MassGuy - I also appreciate & understand logic. I have a degree in science.

Having said that, that doesn't preclude my hope & absolute belief in the supernatural.

IME, the supernatural can sometimes supersede the logical. I'm blessed (as well as cursed) to have experienced those times when a Higher Power has intervened.

My daughter's life was saved due to a Higher Power when she was kidnapped by her Ex. My beloved daughter is alive due to the miraculous combination of technology and Angels.

I will always believe in Divine Intervention, no matter what anyone says to me to the contrary. My daughter and I have lived it. No one will ever tell us otherwise.
I’m not discounting that, just saying that something like that occurring is far less likely than what almost certainly occurred.

Hope is one thing, but reality is another thing entirely.

Everyone wants her to be alive, but the odds are stacked against that.
I know that. I'm just asking for Hope, even when we might be believing against hope.

Can we still hope against all hope? I think we can.
Sure. But the danger is getting our hopes up.

So hope, but recognize the probabilities at the same time.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Interesting and "spirited" debate the 2 of you are having...thank you for giving us all such great food for thought!

I actually fully appreciate both perspectives and believe both of your viewpoints are so important, and so true.

OTOH: Faith, Hope, and Love: Who can argue against those?
Certainly not me. (And I suspect not the person with the Good Shepherd avatar, either).

OTOH: Facts. Logic. Reason. Who can argue against those, either?
We have minds. We're intended to use them.

Human beings are complex and multi-faceted.

It really comes down to the old, "Does your head rule your heart or your heart rule your head?" question.

Personally, I think it depends on the situation.

In this particular situation, I think it's wise to look at the circumstances around BT's disappearance and use our critical thinking skills.

I think in looking at this case, it's important to stay grounded in reality, and to review and examine the known facts in a logical manner.

In the absence of proof, there's always hope.

In the absence of proof, there's always logic, too.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and they certainly aren't contradictory.

Faith and Reason can, and do, in fact, co-exist...it's a beautiful thang.

Almost makes me want to break out my Karaoke machine, and sing Kumbaya.

JMO.

There was rain today in the Kelbaker area. about 1 pm light-to moderate with heavier rain in the mountains closer to Barstow this evening.

It's starting to get into that monsoonal moisture pattern where humid air comes up from the Gulf of California and afternoon cloudbursts and thunderstorms start.

I don't think I'd be hiking in a bikini, but I could see shorts and bikini top. That's my opinion and it's not much since I've never hiked around there. Btw...I haven't read the entire thread yet.
I agree you can burn in a very short period of time, even with sunscreen. Also experienced dessert folks would not be hiking even for two miles without some water. Beer, no that's for later. If you twisted your ankle or whatever, you need that water. This whole thing stinks to me. (but i just joined this conversation, these are my initial thoughts)

Interesting and "spirited" debate the 2 of you are having...thank you for giving us all such great food for thought!

I actually fully appreciate both perspectives and believe both of your viewpoints are so important, and so true.

OTOH: Faith, Hope, and Love: Who can argue against those?
Certainly not me. (And I suspect not the person with the Good Shepherd avatar, either).

OTOH: Facts. Logic. Reason. Who can argue against those, either?
We have minds. We're intended to use them.

Human beings are complex and multi-faceted.

It really comes down to the old, "Does your head rule your heart or your heart rule your head?" question.

Personally, I think it depends on the situation.

In this particular situation, I think it's wise to look at the circumstances around BT's disappearance and use our critical thinking skills.

I think in looking at this case, it's important to stay grounded in reality, and to review and examine the known facts in a logical manner.

In the absence of proof, there's always hope.

In the absence of proof, there's always logic, too.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and they certainly aren't contradictory.

Faith and Reason can, and do, in fact, co-exist...it's a beautiful thang.

Almost makes me want to break out my Karaoke machine, and sing Kumbaya.

JMO.

That’s the GOAT, holding a lamb.

Despite the fact that I think it’s the GOAT holding a goat.

Regardless, if you conflate what you want to happen with what you think will happen, then that’s always dangerous business.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

I’m just waiting for her body to be found.

Now watch, this will be that one in a million case where the missing person wanders back home, still holding a beer and full of stories about wild adventures in the desert. And you'll have to start checking real estate options...

Fingers crossed!
That would be awesome.

I just don't see that happening, though.

That’s the GOAT, holding a lamb.

Despite the fact that I think it’s the GOAT holding a goat.

Regardless, if you conflate what you want to happen with what you think will happen, then that’s always dangerous business.

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

I’m just waiting for her body to be found.

Oh, I agree with you completely! The Man holding a lamb IS the GOAT.

Be that as it may, "Mass"Guy, human beings have the ability to logically accept what is the most likely outcome, and at the same time hold onto a glimmer of hope that things may turn out otherwise.

That ain't conflating the two: it's combining them.

It's called, "hedging your bets." Or something.

Something which you're clearly not in the habit of doing, as evidenced by your recent wager here.

JMO.

If Barbara was alive when RT last saw her (and RT isn't responsible for her disappearance) I will continue to hope for her life.

If Barbara is trying to survive in the desert, may Manna from heaven rain down upon her.

May the rains come to give her drink.

May she find shelter from the sun.

If she is still alive, may she know that help is on the way.

Let us agree upon this. So mote it be with all who agree.

Interesting and "spirited" debate the 2 of you are having...
OTOH: Faith, Hope, and Love:Certainly not me. (And I suspect not the person with the Good Shepherd avatar, either).

JMO.

:pAh yes, MassGuy’s ‘The Good Shepherd’ avatar. Which bears a suspicious likeness to Tom Brady. :rolleyes:

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.:cool:

MOO

Maybe she was preparing to leave RT.
I wonder if her bags were packed in preparation for the trip to Hong Kong especially since she and RT were going camping over the weekend.

I'd be interested to know if it was a one way ticket to HK. And even if it wasn't, what better way to up and leave. No mess, no fuss, no arguments unless of course the person being left found out.

Oh, I agree with you completely! The Man holding a lamb IS the GOAT.
I just don't think we agree on the identity of the GOAT holding the lamb.
Interestingly, the number 12 figures prominently for both of them, though.

Be that as it may, "Mass"Guy, human beings have the ability to logically accept what is the most likely outcome, and at the same time hold onto a glimmer of hope that things may turn out otherwise.

That ain't conflating the two: it's combining them.

It's called, "hedging your bets." Or something.

Something which you're clearly not in the habit of doing, as evidenced by your recent wager here.

JMO.
Ha! I do love to hedge, but not with these circumstances.

If this was a wooded area, and they were legitimately on a hike, I’d hedge.

This was the desert, and they were on a leisurely stroll.

Allegedly.

If Barbara was alive when RT last saw her (and RT isn't responsible for her disappearance) I will continue to hope for her life.

If Barbara is trying to survive in the desert, may Manna from heaven rain down upon her.

May the rains come to give her drink.

May she find shelter from the sun.

If she is still alive, may she know that help is on the way.

Let us agree upon this. So mote it be.
We all continue to hope for her life.

The fact remains, if she is in the desert, she died days ago.

It is physically impossible for her to remain living for any length of time.

The logistics of Barbara choosing to vanish & seek a new life during a short walk in the desert don't make sense to me.

IMO, if she wanted to seek a new life, she would have done so before they took this road trip.

This is one of the reasons why I can't get behind the theory of "maybe-she-disappeared-on-purpose-in-order-to-start-a-new-life".
That reminded me of Drew Peterson claiming Stacy took off with a lover to start a new life. In this case there are going to be a few other things missing from your household. At least some money, clothes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member