Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
tourists are really a big % when it comes to accidental drownings as well
it would be quite sad if that is what ended up happening, chances of finding his body would be slim to none as well which doesn't help the family with closure

I personally think that he ended up in the sea.

I haven’t read all tonight. But I don’t think Theo is alive . We all care no matter how close, nothing can be discarded. We don’t know. Nor family, nor local police. I just pray it doesn’t become a cold case. This page is about Theo not jo. Please keep that in mind or start a new page. Whilst we care and people think they are opportunity’s . Sometimes people become complacent. He was not a heavy drug user. He was not a player. He has vanished.

Can anyone tell me the last time a tourist was known to have drowned at night alone? I guess that's a hard find. But doesn't male much sense. When was the last /time a tourist went climbing on rocks, near the ocean at 15 degrees, in the middle of the night? TH doesn't seem that drunk in the footage to do something so silly. By all accounts, he was smart and had his **** together.

I haven’t read all tonight. But I don’t think Theo is alive . We all care no matter how close, nothing can be discarded. We don’t know. Nor family, nor local police. I just pray it doesn’t become a cold case. This page is about Theo not jo. Please keep that in mind or start a new page. Whilst we care and people think they are opportunity’s . Sometimes people become complacent. He was not a heavy drug user. He was not a player. He has vanished.
Did you know him personally?

This page is not about TH alone. This is websleuths. Not LFTH

This page is not about TH alone. This is websleuths. Not LFTH
This was set up for Theo. Yes others may go missing but all I’m trying to say is let’s not loose focus. I understand websleuths . Obviously we each have our own feelings. I’m sorry that I offended you .

It is sad to think of his parents now giving accepting he is gone.

Les parents de Théo Hayez envisagent désormais qu'il ait pu se noyer: "Il est en train de s’amuser avec les baleines, les tortues et les dauphins..."

The parents of Theo Hayez have published a long message on Facebook, could see the Last Hour. After remaining hopeful, they are now considering that their son may have drowned off Byron Bay in Australia. This is the first time they speak publicly about "the too short life of their son".
"If Théo left this land, he is currently having fun with whales, turtles and dolphins ... (...) Vinciane, Lucas and I, watching the beautiful smile of Theo on the photos of his Australian adventure we are relieved to see that he spent the last six months of his life too short in a beautiful country and met wonderful people ", wrote his father, Laurent Hayez, in this message.

As a reminder, Theo Hayez (18 years old), from Overijse, was last seen on May 31 in the seaside resort of Byron Bay, on the east coast of Australia. Since then, large-scale research has yielded no results. The most plausible hypothesis would be that after getting lost in a wood, he would have arrived on the coast and tried to reach the beach via rocks, being surprised by a wave and strong currents.
That definately makes sense. I initially thought he could have drowned (mainly because if no body found after so many searches it has to be either a car involved or the sea) but then changed my mind because I thought it unlikely he would go swimming on a cold night.

But I don't know the location at all and if you have to go over some rocks to get to a particular beach then this makes sense that he could have attempted this and was hit by a wave.

Perhaps his phone was tossed on another rock similar to Feralflower's post and then pinged the following day and was washed off after that at some stage.

Last edited:
it's happened so many times before, even people going for a midnight dip and getting washed away by rip currents
it would be quite sad if that is what ended up happening, chances of finding his body would be slim to none as well which doesn't help the family with closure
Am hearing you, accidental drownings very common there but cannot believe he would go swimming alone and at night and temperature under 5 Celsius. He would be well aware of sharks as well. There is a strong rip near the rocks at Cosy Corner which is concerning as is close to where his mobile stopped.
It is possible he could have fell in accidentally if climbing the rock looking for a way out. It was low tide though and his track doesn't seem to reach that far, stops on the beach. Possible he put his phone down or it fell from his pocket but would think if phone was close to the rocks or left on beach would have been found. We know it wasn't in the water on Saturday as it pinged at 1.42pm. . It just seem so strange he would even be out there on an extremely cold night, dark as well no moon, not much to see at night, and climbing cliffs or rocks at night.
Not sure how the beach looks on low tide, how far the water would be. The wind was less than 2 km an hour so very still. The ocean should not have been too rough. Would be good to know if there was big swell that night or not but the wind was calm. He wasn't drunk as by the time he would have walked there the 2 or drinks he had at Cheeky's would have been walked off, if anyone gave him more alcohol there would be no reason for them not to come forward. He didn't buy anymore so am assuming he should have been reasonably level headed. I just cannot picture climbing cliffs at night, but is possible yes. Does any artificial light reach to the rocks I wonder. Though I don't believe he went swimming that rip near the rocks is a worry if he fell into it. I have attached the pics from the Byron Bay Surfers page. It looks like a very bad permanent rip there. But I really feel there is more to this. The phone ping net day doesn't add up, even if he dropped his phone the incoming tide would have killed it, it probably would be found. Leaving his hat (if it's his) doesn't add up, him being out there in a very black night and alone doesn't add up. Details of phone ping being in another area between the Pass and Wategos doesn't add up. But is possible not all information presented to the public is correct. It is possible he fell and drowned but somehow I still don't believe it.

Attachments

• COSY CORNER RIPS.png
    COSY CORNER RIPS.png
    648.5 KB · Views: 28
That definately makes sense. I initially thought he could have drowned (mainly because if no body found after so many searches it has to be either a car involved or the sea) but then changed my mind because I thought it unlikely he would go swimming on a cold night.

But I don't know the location at all and if you have to go over some rocks to get to a particular beach then this makes sense that he could have attempted this and was hit by a wave.

Perhaps his phone was tossed on another rock similar to Feralflower's post and then pinged the following day and was washed off after that at some stage.

Where he was (as per the data on MSM) There are a group of rocks that develop to the cliffs. I think fro looking at it the rocks at low tide would be accessable to look and walk on but very limited.

To get out of there all he had to do was go back the way that he came along the beach. Even If he had tried to climb the area behind him where the grass and bush is he still would not have fallen in the water as it is quite a way off. This is unless he attempted to walk around the rocks (around the corner) towards Wategos beach. This would have meant climbing of some sorts and most definately if a wave came up it could have swept him in the sea. Likely his phone would also have been in his hand as if this had happened it would not have gone straight in the ater due to teh final ping the next day.

upload_2019-7-25_7-14-47.png

it's happened so many times before, even people going for a midnight dip and getting washed away by rip currents

Look at Port Doaglas / Cape Trbiulation for example, how many tourist have been taken by crocs there as they do not know there area well and ignore the wsrning signs.

So, I keep getting confused. Have they found TH's phone?

Not that has been released to the public so we assume not, however there has not been any open searches requesting people look out fo rhis phone or any other personal belongings. The search does continue as over this last weekend with volunteers in Byron. Not much advice on what they are searching for, to my understand Theo himself.

Unfortunately we do not know what the police know. We dont know if they know what happened or if anything happned. We also do not know if he was or wasnt a drug user. We can only go by the family friends and MSM. The majority people who snort coke or take ice before going to work each day and work colleagues being shocked when they end up in hospital or die of an overdose as they could not imagine them doing that, we just do not know. For my mind I would like to say we can assume he wasnt as we do not have evidence or confirmation otherwise he was into drugs IMOO.

I beleive police know more however we are not yet privy to that information due to the investigation. I think any discussion (breifly) about the missing tourists from Port Macquarie and the now missing man from Tasmania known to Lennox head (if that is who you are refering to?) is no issue if minimal. We do not know if there is a connection here and I am sure police would be looking into this as well.

In the map of his alleged movements he goes to the top end of Middleton Street in Byron and reaches the carpark, then he turns around and heads towards Tallow Beach carpark. It gives the impression that he was meeting someone in a car park. Maybe originally it was the Middleton Street one and then the mate moved to Tallow, and Theo followed on foot. Could’ve been a backpacker van and they slept in it, and left the next day.

Attachments

• 2991792B-26EC-4C7E-B936-E635FA0CFA9E.jpeg
    2991792B-26EC-4C7E-B936-E635FA0CFA9E.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 24
This was set up for Theo. Yes others may go missing but all I’m trying to say is let’s not loose focus. I understand websleuths . Obviously we each have our own feelings. I’m sorry that I offended you .
Oh, you didn't offend me.

Yes, his phone might have fallen into the ocean. Yes, it is a possibility that someone could climb onto rocks in the middle of the night to be washed off by a wave. Yes TH, by all accounts seems like a nice guy. But these are all assumptions. I think I'm frustrated by assumptions. Sorry I was rude.
It makes no logical sense to think TH went into the ocean.
I know it sucks, but think about it.
I don't really have the ability to emotionally connect to the family or the case. This is not an "I must help TH's Family" thing. This is a "perhaps there's another Ivan Milat thing". A forensic psychologist stated Ivan had a companion during one of his killings. 3 people missing in the general location of eastern coastal towns, despite their character, is a significant event. To dismiss one's disappearance because he didn't live life according to societies values is just wrong. Dismissing correlations in the surrounding areas is not keeping an open mind. I think it's just frustrating getting onto a community like this to find such limiting postulations. There's been enough attempted directing of this case, by outsiders. There's a really messed up community that is comprised of many towns in that area, where people live to avoid general society, for certain reasons.
There are daily bus trips from BB to Nimbin. Did TH go to Nimbin. If TH did go to Nimbin, would it change the perception you have of TH?
What was TH doing trecking all over town? Was it him with the phone?
Milat had heaps of possessions belonging to backpackers, including cameras. Photos. The perfect keepsake.
It's just too weird.
And what about those shoes that were discussed on FB, that seemed to go missing during a volunteer search. The black ones near the collapsed sand dune. What came of that?
Sorry that I was rude, once again.

Am hearing you, accidental drownings very common there but cannot believe he would go swimming alone and at night and temperature under 5 Celsius. He would be well aware of sharks as well. There is a strong rip near the rocks at Cosy Corner which is concerning as is close to where his mobile stopped.
It is possible he could have fell in accidentally if climbing the rock looking for a way out. It was low tide though and his track doesn't seem to reach that far, stops on the beach. Possible he put his phone down or it fell from his pocket but would think if phone was close to the rocks or left on beach would have been found. We know it wasn't in the water on Saturday as it pinged at 1.42pm. . It just seem so strange he would even be out there on an extremely cold night, dark as well no moon, not much to see at night, and climbing cliffs or rocks at night.
Not sure how the beach looks on low tide, how far the water would be. The wind was less than 2 km an hour so very still. The ocean should not have been too rough. Would be good to know if there was big swell that night or not but the wind was calm. He wasn't drunk as by the time he would have walked there the 2 or drinks he had at Cheeky's would have been walked off, if anyone gave him more alcohol there would be no reason for them not to come forward. He didn't buy anymore so am assuming he should have been reasonably level headed. I just cannot picture climbing cliffs at night, but is possible yes. Does any artificial light reach to the rocks I wonder. Though I don't believe he went swimming that rip near the rocks is a worry if he fell into it. I have attached the pics from the Byron Bay Surfers page. It looks like a very bad permanent rip there. But I really feel there is more to this. The phone ping net day doesn't add up, even if he dropped his phone the incoming tide would have killed it, it probably would be found. Leaving his hat (if it's his) doesn't add up, him being out there in a very black night and alone doesn't add up. Details of phone ping being in another area between the Pass and Wategos doesn't add up. But is possible not all information presented to the public is correct. It is possible he fell and drowned but somehow I still don't believe it.
I tend to be looking at this theory of him possibly attempting another way out (thinking maybe a shortcut?). If you look at google map area shot it would appear there is a grassier area not impeded by trees. Did he think that would be an easier way out? Not knowing the area and the rock obstacles he would encounter? Could he have fallen into an area which the tide may have just reached and his phone fallen onto rocks which the tide didn't reach that night but possibly did the next or nights afterward?
The only thing that doesn't make sense, if he was with someone with local knowledge or not, why has this person not come forward? Or did he say i'll chill here for a bit on my own?
I am attempting, hope it works, to attach tide chart for the night and few nights afterward. Note there is a maximum tide level of 2 metres. Does this mean the height of tide reaches the maximum water marked area of sattelite map I am also trying to attach?
The tide shows that night maximum of 1.6mtrs, however, Sunday night max was 1.8, then Tuesday night 1.9. Was the extra height enough to wash his phone off the rocks if caught there?
Screenshot_20190725-093731_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190725-093643_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I tend to be looking at this theory of him possibly attempting another way out (thinking maybe a shortcut?). If you look at google map area shot it would appear there is a grassier area not impeded by trees. Did he think that would be an easier way out? Not knowing the area and the rock obstacles he would encounter? Could he have fallen into an area which the tide may have just reached and his phone fallen onto rocks which the tide didn't reach that night but possibly did the next or nights afterward?
The only thing that doesn't make sense, if he was with someone with local knowledge or not, why has this person not come forward? Or did he say i'll chill here for a bit on my own?
I am attempting, hope it works, to attach tide chart for the night and few nights afterward. Note there is a maximum tide level of 2 metres. Does this mean the height of tide reaches the maximum water marked area of sattelite map I am also trying to attach?
The tide shows that night maximum of 1.6mtrs, however, Sunday night max was 1.8, then Tuesday night 1.9. Was the extra height enough to wash his phone off the rocks if caught there?
View attachment 194798 View attachment 194800

IMOO, I think if he was sitting and chilling on his own the phone would have pinged more times.

He also would like most 18 year olds be be on his mobile phone looking at FB, Insta, sending messages to his friends overseas etc the time he would be sitting there.

What I want to know is why my previous maps posted last night show certain areas with red dots and a new path that the Belgian police walked. Why? Was this the route that Theo took that night which did include the lighthouse area and MSM Australia has only shown certain locations? 90% of the map we have seen in MSM is on that map from Belgium police story. But there is more which leads me to be open to Theo actually did get off that beach and continue his walk to the lighthouse and then elsewhere. I cant understand any other reason why that map has different route and what the red dots mean.

Like I said before, if he was reported missing the next day maybe there would be more evidence and fresh tracks of where he last stood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie