GUILTY GA - Laila Daniel, 2, beaten to death, McDonough, 17 Nov 2015 *foster parents arrested*

He seems a bit unpredictable to me. Goes over the top sometimes if witnesses carry on talking after an objection has been raised. He could just say wait, but he likes to tick them off. Mind you, that first witness yesterday who wouldn't give a straight answer to the questions was a real fruitcake imo. He did not help the defense because he just came across as wanting to steer the outcome and not at all impartial.
"unpredictable" thanks, that's the right description. And yesterday definitely over the top.

I've been looking at the court reporter during these livestreams thinking I've seen her before and trying to work out where. I've just realised she is the split image of Reeva Steenkamp's mother June.

So true! I think sometimes pain isn't always taken seriously in children. I do feel the only reason the children were not treated & their pain was ignored is so the FM would not be in trouble. I can understand why the GG & nurse practitioner would take the watch & see approach for Millies foot xray The fracture in Laila's is one of the most painful you can have. My heart breaks for both children. They were failed by so many adults.

Thanks guys for being so welcoming to your forum.
Yes, poor kids. One can only hope that Millie is loved and now has a nice permanent home.
Was Laila's thighbone broken?
Thank you for your insight, it is very helpful.

Interesting that the defense has put Joseph's sister (also called Jennifer) on the stand. Yesterday Joseph's mother Mary Jane Rosenbaum testified that she has custody of her daughter's two children, because of neglect. Mull asked her this earlier today, after asking her if Millie and Laila had stayed with her, at her mother's house -

Mull: Do you have children of your own?
J: (crying) I do.
Mull: How old are your children?
J: I have two biological children, one is 15 and one is 12, and then I have an adopted daughter who is 16.
Mull: So you know how to take care of children?
J: Yes Ma'am.

Yesterday's testimony from the mother, link below with relevant timestamps

39:40

Mull: How many grandchildren do you have and what are their ages?
MJR: I have two, my daughter's children, and right now they're 12 and 14.

58:49

Mull: You said if you saw any abuse you would have reported and turned in both Jennifer and Joseph.
MJR: I would, yes.
Mull: And have you done that before?
MJR: Have I done what?
Mull: Have you turned in a family member before, to DFCS or to..for abuse?
MJR: I didn't turn her in, but I've dealt with DFCS before for a family member.
Mull: Ok, and it involved children, correct?
MJR: Yes. But it wasn't abuse.
Mull: It's fair to say it was neglect?
MJR: Yes... yeah.
Mull: And in fact you have worked with DFCS and gotten to be one of the people that the children are allowed to be with?
MJR: I've had DFCS at my house looking around see if it was appropriate for children, asking me and my husband all kinds of questions, I'm sure they did a background check for both of us. Whatever it is they do I'm sure they did, because I have two grandkids that I have custody of.

38. Cruelty in first degree – Jennifer and Joseph, Oct 17th to Oct 19th 2015, fracturing Laila’s right leg.

39. Aggravated battery – ditto.

Visit to Dr Duxbury Oct 20th, according to Jennifer it happened Oct 15th or 16th, Lowe saw Laila Oct 19th, Mr Coppinger said Jennifer told him it occurred Oct 18th,. Dr Manny (Sp?) injury few weeks old.
Last witness before the lunch break today was Kim Smith, sister of Peggy Banks. She was at the party held for Millie's 4th birthday at Noah's Ark on October 17th.

She testified that Laila was wearing an Olaf costume with only a small circle of her face visible. She was being fed a cupcake and was lighter in weight than she expected from the last time she had looked after her at Peggy's in August but she assumed she was burning off her baby weight and commented to Jennifer that she needed to give her an extra cupcake. She did not see Laila walking that day, she was passed around from person to person, and she did not want to be handed back to Joseph, she clung on tightly to Kim's shirt and then tried to fling herself into the arms of a friend who was with Kim. She was then put in a wagon and pulled around.

After Laila's death she ordered enlarged photos that she had taken at the party and noticed bruising around the edges of Laila's face. Photo shown to jurors.

It seems Ms Mull was unable to find any pictures of Laila walking either, from Jennifer's extensive photo collection of thousands - she showed the jury a photo of Laila sitting in the wagon, which rather seemed to reinforce the case that she already had the broken shin that day.

Kim Smith also testified that when she asked Jennifer where Laila got facial bruises and black eye in September, Jennifer told her she got into a fight at day care and 'you should see the other guy'. She wasn't even enrolled in any day care that we've heard about yet.

She also testified that Laila was perfectly capable of feeding herself and she doesn't know why she had to be fed by Jennifer at the party.

Last edited:
This is the Medical Examiner who will be testifying for the defense tomorrow: (much more to read at link)

Article dated October 9th 2015

Georgia’s chief medical examiner has abruptly quit, following reports he had built a lucrative private business out of his state job.

Dr. Kris Sperry’s retirement formally takes effect Nov. 1, but he is on leave until then. He vacated the medical examiner’s office Thursday, said his boss, Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan.

<snip>

Lawyers and other adversaries repeatedly accused Sperry of tailoring his testimony to the needs of his private clients.

‘Embarrassed’ medical examiner abruptly retires

This is the Medical Examiner who will be testifying for the defense tomorrow: (much more to read at link)

Georgia’s chief medical examiner has abruptly quit, following reports he had built a lucrative private business out of his state job.

Dr. Kris Sperry’s retirement formally takes effect Nov. 1, but he is on leave until then. He vacated the medical examiner’s office Thursday, said his boss, Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan.

<snip>

Lawyers and other adversaries repeatedly accused Sperry of tailoring his testimony to the needs of his private clients.

Why on earth would you call him to the stand given this information? His credibility is shot.

He is going to testify that Laila's ulna (forearm) fracture is a nonunion fracture, predating her being fostered. A nonunion fracture is one that fails to heal and is extremely rare in children, according to the testimony he gave today.

There was a hearing outside the presence of the jury, held to determine whether he can use photographs he took last night which the defense handed to the prosecution this morning. Judge said he would not allow the photographs since they were not provided in a timely manner, since he already formulated his opinion on July 14th and prosecution could have had the opportunity to ask their ME to give her opinion on the photographs before she was excused and is no longer available to the state.

He is going to testify that Laila's ulna (forearm) fracture is a nonunion fracture, predating her being fostered. A nonunion fracture is one that fails to heal and is extremely rare in children, according to the testimony he gave today.

There was a hearing outside the presence of the jury, held to determine whether he can use photographs he took last night which the defense handed to the prosecution this morning. Judge said he would not allow the photographs since they were not provided in a timely manner, since he already formulated his opinion on July 14th and prosecution could have had the opportunity to ask their ME to give her opinion on the photographs before she was excused and is no longer available to the state.

I haven't finished watching today, so I was unaware about the nonunion fracture theory. Seems like it would be a more effective for the defense if they would have asked the prosecution's medical experts if it was a possibility. I don't remember the defense asking that, though.

I haven't finished watching today, so I was unaware about the nonunion fracture theory. Seems like it would be a more effective for the defense if they would have asked the prosecution's medical experts if it was a possibility. I don't remember the defense asking that, though.
This was the pathologist testifying on direct about the ulna fracture being examined microscopically and her seeing signs of healing, starting at 1:31:30, but I can't find where or if she was cross-examined about it.

Good morning lovely people!
It was her shin bone just below the knee cap. I've cared for adults who have said that's its the worst pain they've ever experienced.

So either she fell on something sharp or something hit the leg.:(

<snip>

Why on earth would you call him to the stand given this information? His credibility is shot.
Thanx Tortoise!
They did not get anyone else?

Last witness before the lunch break today was Kim Smith, sister of Peggy Banks. She was at the party held for Millie's 4th birthday at Noah's Ark on October 17th.

She testified that Laila was wearing an Olaf costume with only a small circle of her face visible. She was being fed a cupcake and was lighter in weight than she expected from the last time she had looked after her at Peggy's in August but she assumed she was burning off her baby weight and commented to Jennifer that she needed to give her an extra cupcake. She did not see Laila walking that day, she was passed around from person to person, and she did not want to be handed back to Joseph, she clung on tightly to Kim's shirt and then tried to fling herself into the arms of a friend who was with Kim. She was then put in a wagon and pulled around.

After Laila's death she ordered enlarged photos that she had taken at the party and noticed bruising around the edges of Laila's face. Photo shown to jurors.

It seems Ms Mull was unable to find any pictures of Laila walking either, from Jennifer's extensive photo collection of thousands - she showed the jury a photo of Laila sitting in the wagon, which rather seemed to reinforce the case that she already had the broken shin that day.

Kim Smith also testified that when she asked Jennifer where Laila got facial bruises and black eye in September, Jennifer told her she got into a fight at day care and 'you should see the other guy'. She wasn't even enrolled in any day care that we've heard about yet.

She also testified that Laila was perfectly capable of feeding herself and she doesn't know why she had to be fed by Jennifer at the party.

bbm
Prosecution´s opening statement: lie after lie after lie

Thank you, I missed the videos yesterday.

Last edited:
Good morning lovely people!

So either she fell on something sharp or something hit the leg.:(
One of the experts (I can't remember which but I know it wasn't the pathologist - I think it was the doctor who suspected abuse and referred her to Egleston for an investigation, which Jennifer never took her to, and instead took her to a new doctor 2-3 days later) said the force required to have caused that leg fracture was more than a 2 year old could exert themselves, unless it was a drop from a great height.

One of the experts (I can't remember which but I know it wasn't the pathologist - I think it was the doctor who suspected abuse and referred her to Egleston for an investigation, which Jennifer never took her to, and instead took her to a new doctor 2-3 days later) said the force required to have caused that leg fracture was more than a 2 year old could exert themselves, unless it was a drop from a great height.
A new doctor, clever. Days later...oh my.

It was her shin bone just below the knee cap. I've cared for adults who have said that's its the worst pain they've ever experienced.
I hope that this cruel couple gets the maximum punishment.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brentr
Back