CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://infotel.ca/newsitem/father-...cts-son-will-go-out-in-blaze-of-glory/it64300

Interesting article I just found. I live in BC and most of my family is from Winnipeg so we’ve been following the story very closely.
From the article:
"The father recalled that his son bought a nice black suit with his second paycheque from Walmart.

"Now I realize it's his funeral suit.""

That could be unrelated, but that is not a typical teenager's purchase unless they have a definite formal event coming up. It's not like he was applying for work in a suit-wearing environment. His father might just be right. That means this was no spur-of-the-moment crime.

Editing to add Moriarty beat me to it. This board moves quickly!

"Alan Schmegelsky said he expects his son will die in a confrontation with police.

"He's on a suicide mission. He wants his pain to end," he said, breaking down into tears. "Basically, he's going to be dead today or tomorrow. I know that. Rest in peace, Bryer. I love you. I'm so sorry all this had to happen.""

Wow; there's a dad's reckoning for you. Must be heartbreaking as a parent to have to face.

Hopefully, it ends better than he expects and these two guys give up.

It is unfortunate. His father should be more responsible and publicly urge his son to turn himself in and avoid confrontation. He should be delivering a very different message, in my opinion.

Agreed.

And “I’m sorry all this bad to happen,” isn’t great messaging.

It happened because his son wanted this to happen, not because he was forced to kill innocent people.

It’s one thing to have a fatalistic attitude, but another to express it publicly.

He’s confused, grieving, and likely in shock.

Doesn’t mean I have to like it though.

I'm not sure what I think about that.

I know these dudes are knuckleheads, but torching the car at the end of the line--basically screaming "WE'RE HERE!"--without an alternative way out of the area is so galactically stupid I can't even wrap my head around it.

But on the other hand I would think by now it would have been noticed if they had taken another vehicle by whatever means.

I guess I lean towards them no longer being in the area, but I definitely don't feel strongly about that.

In a remote community that size everybody knows everybody and I agree, somebody would notice a missing vehicle. They may also have ran out of cash by now and any credit or debit cards available to them have likely been blocked.

How far can they have walked from the burned RAV4? I think the RCMP may know more than they’re saying. If they’ve isolated the suspects and nobody else is in danger they may just be biding time prior to intending to facilitate a peaceful arrest.

I could be wrong but from what was stated at the PC this afternoon I got the feeling the end will come soon.

Yes but he's probably in shock and clearly doesn't have anyone around him advising otherwise.

Fowler's father is in shock too, but that's not an excuse to not take the high road.

The parents of these teens should have a united front, speak publicly with one clear message telling their sons to turn themselves in, that they will be there for them no matter what. All this "going out with a bang" sounds like giving them the wrong message, a pat on the back as they take as many people with them before killing themselves.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/father-...cts-son-will-go-out-in-blaze-of-glory/it64300

Interesting article I just found. I live in BC and most of my family is from Winnipeg so we’ve been following the story very closely.

Unfortunately, I think dad is right. I just hope LE can get them cornered so they don't damage anyone other than themselves.

ETA, and thinking about this a bit more his dad's statement pisses me off. He should have made a plea to his son to give it up. As it is, it sounds like he is glorifying it. :mad::mad::mad:

Yes, but the Rav4 was found Monday night, July 22 and the public did not even know these two were suspects let alone not missing in northern BC until the next day.

According to Google there is an RCMP station in Gillam, and the officers there likely would have known about the fugitives, even if the general population did not.

A vehicle fire would likely draw attention from the RCMP. If they knew about the suspects, then upon finding the burning vehicle, they would have had time to close down the highway as far down as Thompson.

It looks like at least a good part of Provincial Road 280 to Gilliam is a dirt road. On the Facebook group, "PR 280 Road Conditions", folks are bemoaning the dust, muddy bogs, and washboards. There's also a picture, which if it's near Gillam, shows a dirt road that one would travel with care.

PR 280 Road Conditons

I don’t disagree with his assessment.

I’d be shocked if this doesn’t have a violent end.

Very telling that Bryer's father suddenly changed his story about his "good boy" son on a simple roadtrip with his buddy, to his son being on a suicide mission, having no drivers license and having bought a "nice black suit" , that he now believes his son intended for his own funeral, with one of his Walmart paychecks. Interesting and also very sad.

Unfortunately, I think dad is right. I just hope LE can get them cornered so they don't damage anyone other than themselves.

ETA, and thinking about this a bit more his dad's statement pisses me off. He should have made a plea to his son to give it up. As it is, it sounds like he is glorifying it. :mad::mad::mad:

More words from Schmegelsky father from article linked above:

"He hasn't been nurtured. He doesn't have a driver's licence. He never learned to ride a bike. He craved love and affection," he said. "His influences haven't been good. His influences have been YouTube and video games."

"He loved strategy and battle video games, in particular, Schmegelsky said, and two years ago his son asked for an airsoft gun for Christmas. Schmegelsky bought it for him and the teen and his friends would "battle" each other in the woods, he said".

"Schmegelsky said his son doesn't own any real guns and doesn't know how to drive. [BBM] He worked at the Port Alberni Walmart after graduating from high school earlier this year, but was disappointed with the job and told his dad he was setting off to Alberta with McLeod to look for work".

The father recalled that his son bought a nice black suit with his second paycheque from Walmart.

"Now I realize it's his funeral suit." [BBM]

Kam McLeod's father, Keith McLeod, hung up when reached by phone on Wednesday.

In Gillam, the deputy mayor said residents are locking their doors earlier than usual. John McDonald said residents are used to seeing strangers come and go from Manitoba Hydro projects, but they're paying closer attention to faces since the release of photos of the suspects and word Tuesday that they may be in the area.

Extra officers have been brought in for a search focused about 70 kilometres northwest of the town near Fox Lake Cree Nation, where Chief Walter Spence has said police would be patrolling.

Police set up a checkstop at an intersection on the only road leading into Gillam.

McDonald said if McLeod and Schmegelsky are there, they are in country known for its thick bush, swamps and pesky insects, and where it's easy to get lost.

"If they are wandering around in the bush, they couldn't have picked a worse time because the sandflies came out three days ago and they're just voracious," he said Wednesday.

"I'm quite sure they'll be more than happy to have someone find them."

Agreed.

And “I’m sorry all this bad to happen,” isn’t great messaging.

It happened because his son wanted this to happen, not because he was forced to kill innocent people.

It’s one thing to have a fatalistic attitude, but another to express it publicly.

He’s confused, grieving, and likely in shock.

Doesn’t mean I have to like it though.

I truly believe any family member finding themselves in a horrible situation such as this should just zip it. It takes the emphasis off the suspect and displaces it like some kind of sideshow.

You’re right, they’re dealing with a lot of emotions such as shock, trauma, guilt and anger. They don’t have the benefit of a media relations professional telling them what to say and what not to say. It’s probably the first time in this mans life he’s ever spoken to the media and what a horrific reason.

According to Google there is an RCMP station in Gillam, and the officers there likely would have known about the fugitives, even if the general population did not.

A vehicle fire would likely draw attention from the RCMP. If they knew about the suspects, then upon finding the burning vehicle, they would have had time to close down the highway as far down as Thompson.

It looks like at least a good part of Provincial Road 280 to Gilliam is a dirt road. On the Facebook group, "PR 280 Road Conditions", folks are bemoaning the dust, muddy bogs, and washboards. There's also a picture, which if it's near Gillam, shows a dirt road that one would travel with care.

PR 280 Road Conditons
Thanks for this posting

It really gives a different perspective on the kind of travel conditions they’ve got themsleves into.

Wonder why they ditched the Rav4. They arent going anywhere out of there without a vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member