Found Deceased NY - Tom Kelsey, 45, Katch at Venetian Shores, Lindenhurst, 7 July 2019

I’m wondering if there is water along his route home? If he accidentally drove into said water it would account for the last ping in that direction, his car not being found as well as the disconnection from Onstar.

The person he was to meet did not show up? Or instead I’m assuming that Tom did not show up?
So was he going home to take care of pup/sleep/get up early for work, or was he indeed going to stay out longer to meet friend(s) and possible date?

So sorry if I’m rehashing things already discussed..
As I recall, friends stated he was going to meet a female. So it sounds like Tom did not make it there, where ever that was. He may have run into trouble right away...or he changed his plans on his own. MOO

This case is really getting to me. I live in NYC but I grew up on LI and still have family there. I've also explored mostly all of LI. There aren't many places left on Long Island that haven't been developed either residentially or commercially. The first place that comes to mind where secrets can still be hidden is leading out to the North Fork and the North Fork itself. There is a stretch along the Greenport LIRR line that goes through Pine Barrens. If anyone is interested this is between the Yaphank/North Shirley, Manorville, and Calverton stations on the Greenport line. The second place is where the LISK has been known to frequent - Ocean Parkway near the remote beach towns of Gilgo Beach, Oak Beach in Suffolk county - also the Jones Beach area. Jones Beach is busy this time of year since swimming off the North Shore of LI is dangerous. The parking lots at Jones beach don't have much tree coverage (barely any) and I can't see a large red truck being able to sit abandoned - the beach parking lots are patrolled constantly. The area is all most completely beach sand and sea grass. A bright red truck would stick out like a sore thumb. Ocean Parkway is very desolate but I would assume with the history there (LISK), it has already been checked. The entire area running along the south shore of LI is a very narrow barrier island. My best guess (and a guess only) on where the truck could be? A storage unit.

If not, there are tons of traffic cams on 495 (LIE or Long Island Expressway), Northern State Parkway, Southern State Parkway, Sunrise Highway, Cross Island Parkway, Wantagh Parkway, Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway (Route 135), Bethpage State Parkway, Meadowbrook Parkway, Sunken Meadow Parkway (AKA Sagtikos Parkway) and William Floyd Parkway. It's boggling to me that his Yukon hasn't been spotted on any of those so far. Businesses are very close to the roads on the smaller town/residential roads and each town border is connected to the next. I don't know how anyone could avoid them on LI and I would put money down that you can't. I'm hoping some just haven't been checked yet.

I know this wasn't very helpful but I wanted to give anyone who was interested a little lay of the land.

Here is a link to most of the traffic cams on the major roads on LI.
Long Island Traffic Cameras - LongIsland.com

This case is really getting to me. I live in NYC but I grew up on LI and still have family there. I've also explored mostly all of LI. There aren't many places left on Long Island that haven't been developed either residentially or commercially. The first place that comes to mind where secrets can still be hidden is leading out to the North Fork and the North Fork itself. There is a stretch along the Greenport LIRR line that goes through Pine Barrens. If anyone is interested this is between the Yaphank/North Shirley, Manorville, and Calverton stations on the Greenport line. The second place is where the LISK has been known to frequent - Ocean Parkway near the remote beach towns of Gilgo Beach, Oak Beach in Suffolk county - also the Jones Beach area. Jones Beach is busy this time of year since swimming off the North Shore of LI is dangerous. The parking lots at Jones beach don't have much tree coverage (barely any) and I can't see a large red truck being able to sit abandoned - the beach parking lots are patrolled constantly. The area is all most completely beach sand and sea grass. A bright red truck would stick out like a sore thumb. Ocean Parkway is very desolate but I would assume with the history there (LISK), it has already been checked. The entire area running along the south shore of LI is a very narrow barrier island. My best guess (and a guess only) on where the truck could be? A storage unit.

If not, there are tons of traffic cams on 495 (LIE or Long Island Expressway), Northern State Parkway, Southern State Parkway, Sunrise Highway, Cross Island Parkway, Wantagh Parkway, Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway (Route 135), Bethpage State Parkway, Meadowbrook Parkway, Sunken Meadow Parkway (AKA Sagtikos Parkway) and William Floyd Parkway. It's boggling to me that his Yukon hasn't been spotted on any of those so far. Businesses are very close to the roads on the smaller town/residential roads and each town border is connected to the next. I don't know how anyone could avoid them on LI and I would put money down that you can't. I'm hoping some just haven't been checked yet.

I know this wasn't very helpful but I wanted to give anyone who was interested a little lay of the land.

Here is a link to most of the traffic cams on the major roads on LI.
Long Island Traffic Cameras - LongIsland.com
I think with the amount of Parkways (I've been on a few myself) they haven't checked all of them. Quite a task it would appear. As for Greenport, many wineries up and around that area and campgrounds, plus access to Shelter Island and South Shore (by ferries), so I understand how difficult it is to go completely off the grid on LI.

If truck is in a storage unit, implication is either Tom hid it there...or someone else with not so great intentions did. Certainly difficult for that truck to get off the Island without notice. MOO

Hoping camera surveillance is continuing to be checked.

As for Greenport, many wineries up and around that area and campgrounds

I thought about this too. I have some family and friends that own a winery and a cider distillery on the North Fork, respectively. They are so busy at this time of year and most are owned by families. I was guessing and hoping that they would be familiar enough with their property to notice his truck or if no truck, some sort of disturbance on their land. But you're right, the likelihood *all* of the land being checked is low and especially so if this story hasn't made it onto any of the local news.

Last edited:
I thought about this too. I have some family and friends that own a winery and a cider distillery on the North Fork, respectively. They are so busy at this time of year and most are owned by families. I was guessing and hoping that they would be familiar enough with their property to notice his truck or if no truck, some sort of disturbance on their land. But you're right, the likelihood *all* of the land being checked is low and especially so if this story hasn't made it onto any of the local news.
Lots of water around - ocean, sound, lakes, kettle ponds, plus as you say pine barrens and some remoteness. This time of year, it's all less remote of course, but lots of places to consider searching. I hope he's ok and decided to disappear himself. Holding out hope for something like that.

We visited many wineries on the North Fork and also camped near Greenport. Perhaps one of them was your friends. Or family. Can you imagine any reason why Tom would go in the direction though? Not sure Orient Point Ferry keeps passenger list. Shelter Island doesn't as we crossed it and you basically just stay in your vehicle for 10-20 minutes. Port Jeff Ferry is the closest to his home, if a ferry is involved. MOO

My heart hurts thinking about this case.

Can you imagine any reason why Tom would go in the direction though?
My heart hurts thinking about this case.

Remoteness. Peace. Quiet. A lot of roads off of 25, Peconic or Middle Road offer all three. I just asked my mother-in-law... she hadn't heard about this at all. Not a good sign. I doubt many people are looking or even keeping an eye out.

To me, it seems more likely that Tom had an accident of some kind that night on his way home from the restaurant and his Yukon is somehow not visible (I know locals have said that there aren’t many places where it wouldn’t be seen, but still). The OnStar issue and the relatively short distance from the restaurant to where he lives make it the more likely scenario for me.

Sure, foul play could have been involved. It’s possible someone could have been lying in wait either by his vehicle or even inside it. It’s possible he could have been car jacked at a stop sign or perhaps even at a stop he made on the way home. But due to the fact that people saw him drive away from the restaurant, and the fact that his car was never recorded leaving the island, really makes me think there wasn’t a huge window of opportunity for a crime to occur. And if it had, would the criminal really then be so astute and quick on his feet to get Tom’s vehicle to a storage shed, nearby garage, or shipping container where the OnStar couldn’t locate it? Most car jackings, armed robberies, kidnappings, and/or murders where a victim is initially in his or her vehicle, the criminal either just leaves the vehicle at the scene of the crime, drives it somewhere and abandons it, or burns it.

I can see a situation happening where it was dark out, Tom had just enough drinks where he was not very impaired but maybe not 100% focused, maybe something distracted him and he took his eyes off the road, and then his Yukon went into the water. I know the water is, by all accounts, super shallow around the path he would have taken home. But I think the possibility of his car being in the water (and therefore unsearchable by OnStar) and technically visible but just not seen by anyone yet is greater than someone ambushing him on such a short drive and properly disposing of or hiding the vehicle in such a limited window.

JUL 25, 2019
Cops, friends looking for man last seen July 7
[...]

Suffolk County police have searched local waterways, put their helicopters in the sky and detectives have painstakingly gone over the last known steps of a Centereach man who hasn't been seen or heard from since leaving a Lindenhurst restaurant 18 days ago.

Close friends of Thomas Kelsey, a 45-year-old livery cabdriver who hasn't shown up for work in nearly three weeks, are puzzled at how he seemingly disappeared without a trace. They have gone door-to-door in Lindenhurst handing out missing persons flyers.

[...]

Kelsey, as captured on surveillance video, left the Katch restaurant alone at Venetian Shores Park on July 7 around 10 p.m. after watching a live band with friends, police said. He was wearing brown shoes, plaid shorts and a T-shirt, police said. Hours later, his cellphone pinged a cell tower near Sunrise Highway and Robert Moses Causeway about 3 a.m.

Since then, his phone hasn't hit on any cellphone towers and his vehicle — a red 2015 GMC Yukon with New York license plates — hasn't hit on any license plate readers or road tolls.

DL, a friend of 12 years, hung out with Kelsey and other friends at Katch the night he went missing. She said he was in good spirits, buying drinks and enjoying the band. He talked about driving a limo for work the next day. While Love was busy with another friend, she said her boyfriend and children said they saw Kelsey leaving and waved goodbye to him in the parking lot.

DL said she texted Kelsey about an hour later, but he didn't answer. Calls from her and other friends to his cellphone went straight to voicemail.

[...]

Kelsey's landlord, a close friend, reported him missing in the early morning hours of July 9 after Kelsey, who left his beloved dog Sasha alone in his apartment, didn’t show up for work.

Last Friday, DL and other friends knocked on doors near the park in Lindenhurst, asking residents to check their home surveillance video for any sign of Kelsey or his truck. She said the Staples store in Massapequa donated 2,000 missing persons flyers for Kelsey.

[...]

Kelsey's family could not be reached for comment. Gigante said detectives had been in contact with Kelsey's mother and a sibling, who were cooperating with the investigation.

[...]

Remoteness. Peace. Quiet. A lot of roads off of 25, Peconic or Middle Road offer all three. I just asked my mother-in-law... she hadn't heard about this at all. Not a good sign. I doubt many people are looking or even keeping an eye out.
My son and family live very close and have heard nothing. At least that was the case a week or so again. I going to ask again, even if they see any posters around.

JUL 25, 2019
Cops, friends looking for man last seen July 7
[...]

Kelsey, as captured on surveillance video, left the Katch restaurant alone at Venetian Shores Park on July 7 around 10 p.m. after watching a live band with friends, police said. He was wearing brown shoes, plaid shorts and a T-shirt, police said. Hours later, his cellphone pinged a cell tower near Sunrise Highway and Robert Moses Causeway about 3 a.m.

Since then, his phone hasn't hit on any cellphone towers and his vehicle — a red 2015 GMC Yukon with New York license plates — hasn't hit on any license plate readers or road tolls.

[...]
RSBM
That's something that doesn't add up if he were heading straight home or if someone texted him within the hour and he didn't answer. He left at 10 and his last phone ping was 5 hours later, not much farther away from where he started in Lindenhurst. Robert Moses Parkway goes north and south. North toward his home and south over the bay to Cap Tree and then Fire Island. Only a parking lot on Fire Island, no where else to drive. From Cap Tree, the road parallels the ocean through many towns.

Sunrise Hwy is east-west. Back toward NYC (west) and all the way out to Montauk (east), the end of the island (south fork).

I'm just trying to speculate where he could have been headed after reaching that intersection. And why it took 5 hours for him to drive such a short distance. And why he didn't answer his text shortly after he left.

If we had these answers, I guess we'd know more and maybe even where he is. Makes me sad for him and his friends (family?) and his dog, And I really hope there is a resolution very soon.

Last edited:
Oh no! So sad to hear this news! Wishing love and peace to his friends and family :(

Sounds like he got into an accident that night and his car seemed somewhat hidden this whole time.
“the vehicle left the roadway, crossed a large grass median and crashed into a ravine in West Islip.”
Police: Missing Centereach man found dead in vehicle in wooded area

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back