Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok he’s been in town for 2 days by himself. He stays at a backpackers, meets others there including Antoine. He spends his time wandering around town, goes to a barby at the backpackers one night and then heads in to CM’s with at least new acquaintance and fellow backpacker Antoine.
At CM’s he separates from the new friend/s, has a few drinks and a dance probably with someone, and his new friends don’t see him leave at 11pm.
He leaves CM’s, and heads down Kingsley Street looking at his phone. He then either turns into Middleton Street, goes to the end and then turns around or goes up to the end of Tennyson Street and turns around.
Say he’s on whatsapp and google maps looking for instructions and directions, and when he reaches certain points he finds the person he’s meeting has moved on, causing him to readjust and change direction. Eventually he’s lead to Tallows Beach but his companion/hook up isn’t there and tells him to wait. He sits on the beach and chats to a mate back home on social media around 12.30am. Then the companion/hook up arrives. Theo’s not heard from again and effectively disappears off the face of the earth. There’s a phone ping the next afternoon from the same area, and a cap is found weeks later (which may or may not be his).
The chances of him voluntarily swimming fully clothed in Winter are very slim. His phone was dry the following afternoon. Sniffer dogs and a multitude of searchers over numerous days have found nothing.
His new mates from the hostel have no idea where he went, why or with whom.
If he did meet someone in the places we’re discussing, it appears the other person was on the move (vehicle?) and pretty familiar with the town, to the point of having local knowledge. It seems his wanderings take him in the vicinity of car parks too.
Theo’s profile portrays a straight white young “regular” guy who is sensible, organised and cautious. For him to arrange to meet someone you’d imagine the other person must have felt safe and reliable to him. Who could this be given he had only just arrived in the town? Was it someone he had met during his travels who was going to be in town at the same time (and there was mention of something like that a while back - a mate he met in the NT visiting Byron). Was it someone from the hostel or the hostel barby? Was it someone he met at CMs who had left CMs before him? If he was connecting to them on what’s app when he headed down Kingsley Street, he would’ve already set this up before leaving CMs.
Where’s his opportunity to meet someone locally, hear about possible social stuff happening and set up online connections to keep in touch?

I think it’s a perfect place to meet with someone to just grab a small bit of weed since he got kicked out of CM, knew nobody but probably didn’t want to go back to the hostel yet. I’m sure in a hostel it’s easy enough to get chatting and find out how to get some.

Original plan could have been to meet there, then maybe they said change of plans meet us the beach. Or maybe they did meet there then said oh do you want to smoke it with us since it’s early on a Friday night and you’re all alone, we all hang here come with us. I think it makes sense.

Last edited:
The red line just FYI is explained by the officer the route that the Belgium police walked. It is not conclusive if they walked that red line due to data sjowing Theo also did. The translation is not including why they walked that line. If you look at the CCTV images they look at on their laptop you will see a female appear 2 - 3 times with notes in the images. There also appears to be other images Theo on there as well, one of what appears him with security guards I cant tell as too hard to see it.
Thanks for that, I thought I had read a belgium news article stating that but wasn't sure.

Here's my theory. (at this point)
TH ambiguous about sexuality. Works up courage during the last part of his trip to indulge in sexual exploration. Doesn't actually enjoy the engagement. Unsub does not like that TH discovers during the engagement that he doesn't actually want to explore the engagement anymore. Unsub gets angry, goes too far. Freaks out and decides to get rid of the evidence.

Here's my theory. (at this point)
TH ambiguous about sexuality. Works up courage during the last part of his trip to indulge in sexual exploration. Doesn't actually enjoy the engagement. Unsub does not like that TH discovers during the engagement that he doesn't actually want to explore the engagement anymore. Unsub gets angry, goes too far. Freaks out and decides to get rid of the evidence.
Personally I doubt he was meeting whoever to experiment. It could’ve turned that way though. Who knows?

Personally I doubt he was meeting whoever to experiment. It could’ve turned that way though. Who knows?
Why go to such a reclused location if not 1) doing something illegal. 2) doing something that one might consider shameful. I'm not saying homosexuality is to produce shame, but a person that's ambiguous about those feelings might feel a sense of embarrassment when first engaging in such activities.
If it was just some weed or a female, why choose such a location in a town like BB?

Why go to such a reclused location if not 1) doing something illegal. 2) doing something that one might consider shameful. I'm not saying homosexuality is to produce shame, but a person that's ambiguous about those feelings might feel a sense of embarrassment when first engaging in such activities.
If it was just some weed or a female, why choose such a location in a town like BB?

Privacy?
Where the vehicle happened to be parked or was hanging out?
I just personally doubt he was meeting whoever for sex. Reckon it was just to hang out and party on.

Privacy?
I just personally doubt he was meeting whoever for sex. Reckon it was just to hang out and party on.
I don't know about the vehicle. You could be right. Who did the vehicle belong to? A resident nearby?
Do you know BB? Nothing happens down there. The tennis courts are of no interest to most people. I spent 8 months in that town hanging out with backpackers. I stayed at the arts factory. Ate with them, surfed with them, partied with them. That just seems weird.

Every hostel has a group that goes to Nimbin and comes back with weed. There's no real police presence on the street. It doesn't make sense.

He could’ve just been trying to work out how to get to the Cape and kept going the wrong way, hence the turn arounds (at the cricket nets etc).

I just have this sense a vehicle was involved, but he was probably just on foot that night.

How long would it take to walk from CMs to Tallow Beach? If he left the bar at 11pm and headed to the beach, with a few minor delays, what time would he get there?

Privacy?

I wouldnt rule it hooking up for sex or intamacy what ever we want call it with someone. He may have come to like a girl he met at the hostel or out and she wasnt at CM that night or left earlier and he was meeting her to catch up with her. As I mentioned earlier in the thread hostels can be very strict about visitors and certainly I would not think you could bring someone back at night, especialy if you were in dorm style accomodation (which we dont know) so if she or he was in same situation as Theo and staying close by to Tallows, a nice little private spot the beach together.... why not.

So a confrontation between male and female ends in TH being deceased and she moves the body?

Reactions: Hap
He could’ve just been trying to work out how to get to the Cape and kept going the wrong way, hence the turn arounds (at the cricket nets etc).

I just have this sense a vehicle was involved, but he was probably just on foot that night.

How long would it take to walk from CMs to Tallow Beach? If he left the bar at 11pm and headed to the beach, with a few minor delays, what time would he get there?
I'd suggest about 45 min to an hour, more even. But I never walked that path before. I had a vehicle and a pushbike. Tallow beach is not really the place you go to at night unless there is something happening down there. The only time I was there at night was a NY's party. It's a long walk.

The top grey line on google maps “resembles” his journey as we know it, and if he followed this map you can kinda see how he could confuse a few road stretches & turns.

Attachments

• 512CF475-39DF-4C3B-9C30-929D5792B072.jpeg
    512CF475-39DF-4C3B-9C30-929D5792B072.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 28
@mussopossum. A while a go you gave a link to a belgian tv news. The Belgian Police Officer said in the News that after going to the Bottelshop Théo went back to the hostel and had a few drinks with friends and insisted on "not that many" and insisted that nowhere he was drunk. Also he didn't say Theo entered the hostel. It was the first time I heard this.

The top grey line on google maps “resembles” his journey as we know it, and if he followed this map you can kinda see how he could confuse a few road stretches & turns.
That's an interesting path to take. There are tracks along that route that will get you to the beach. I visited a few beaches along there for surfing....... Just looking at the satellite images, paths can be seen, but accessing them at night? In the bright moonlight, yeah. WTF? It's really weird man. None of this makes any sense. What time was this, that he walked to Tallows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam