Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #11 *GUILTY*

Wow, lynneboh, those videos were gold! Thank you. Those places are perfect for a detailed search. Maybe he was going out there for sometime killing animals while his wife was at work and dreaming of bringing a human victim someday.

Wanted to share this walk of the area between BC's former apartment complex and Kaufman Lake that I found on YouTube. It was done in July of 2017.

Wanted to share this walk of the area between BC's former apartment complex and Kaufman Lake that I found on YouTube. It was done in July of 2017.
Thanks so much Lynn. I remember seeing them in 2017 and I could not locate them. Well done finding them. There was another of the street.. I cannot find that either?

"Bob" sure likes attention. Doesn't he?

The Daily Illini

@TheDailyIllini

·
12h

A member of the jury in the trial against Brendt Christensen for the kidnapping murder of Yingying Zhang speaks to The Daily Illini. Bob, who chose not to share his name or position on his decision, shares what life was like for a juror on the case:

It has now been just over a week since the jury could not unanimously decide what the punishment of the kidnapper and killer of visiting scholar Yingying Zhang’s should be.

It’s a life or death decision not many people think about having to make in their lifetime. However, for 12 people this decision was on their minds for almost four weeks.

Brendt Christensen was found guilty toward the end of June, for kidnapping resulting in death by the same jury that could not unanimously decide if he should be sentenced to death or life in prison, ending their deliberations on a 10-2 vote for the death penalty, according to one of the alternate jurors from the trial, Bob, who did not wish to disclose his last name for the article but was willing to speak with The Daily Illini about his experience.

The jury consisted of 12 jurors and six alternates. The alternates did not participate in any of the deliberations or verdicts but were required to sit through the trial just in case one of them needed to step in. The alternates were also required to follow the same rules as the other jurors.

Every day, Bob would leave his house in Bloomington, Illinois, around 7 a.m. to get to the courthouse in Peoria by the latest 9 a.m. Before that, however, Bob had a job and canoeing trip in Canada to look forward to this summer.

“I immediately knew when I pulled it from the mailbox that (it was) a jury summons,” Bob said.

He informed his brother, who he had planned the trip with he may not be able to go on the trip, and he eventually found out that he was right. He officially canceled his trip to be an alternate juror for the case U.S. v. Christensen.

At the very beginning, when opening statements first began in the guilty or not guilty phase, Christensen’s attorneys said right away they would not deny his guilt in Zhang’s murder.

“From a jury’s perspective … isn’t that the whole reason we’re here: for us to hear the evidence and make that decision?” Bob said.

He said after the entire trial ended on July 18, prosecutors Eugene Miller and James Nelson as well as Judge James Shadid, spoke with the jury and answered any questions they may have had post the trial.

The admission of Christensen’s guilt by his attorneys was brought up to the prosecutors during this time, Bob said. They said they were supposed to expect anything but didn’t know what the defense would essentially come out with, so it was a surprise but wasn’t completely unexpected.

After Christensen was found guilty by the jury, the sentencing trial didn’t begin until about a week and half later, after the Fourth of July. This is when Bob was able to catch up on some work he might have missed, but he also got to go on his canoeing trip with his brother.

During the canoeing trip in Canada, there was no service and no electronics, so it was easy to stay away from any media coverage of the case, and he said his brother was good about not asking him about it as well.

“There we’re back in the bush. There is no communications. There is no electricity. There’s nothing,” he said. “It was a great way to destress and be out in the wild and go fishing and not think about or discuss the case.”

But eventually it was time to come back for the start of the sentencing phase. At the start of this phase each juror was asked if he or she had read, seen, heard or discussed anything about the case and every single juror had not.

Bob said as a jury, everyone was really good about paying close attention to all the evidence and to what was being said, adding the majority of the jurors also had some form of college education.

During the numerous and often emotional testimonies, Bob said there was discussion of possibly needing one of the alternate jurors to step in because one of the other sitting jurors had to leave the courtroom during a testimony from Zhang’s family. However, she was questioned by the judge and both sides of counsel and was cleared to stay on.

Bob said depending on who was on the witness stand at the time, there was often a swing of emotion.

“You would hear the testimony of Yingying’s parents and brother and boyfriend and friends, and that was extremely emotional,” he said. “Then you’d hear testimony of Brendt Christensen’s friends and family and I would say that was a little less emotional because he was the killer, but you’d have a shift (of emotion) then depending on who was talking at the time.”

He said his emotions did ebb and flow, but his position stayed pretty steady throughout the sentencing phase, and he is respectful of the decision the jury ended up with.

Although Bob did not wish to say if he would have voted for either death or life, he did say this: “If I could trade Brendt Christensen for Yingying, I would undoubtedly, immediately.”

sjboyle2@dailyillini.com

Juror recounts day in the life of a juror in a capital punishment case | The Daily Illini

they now have more things available at the exhibits website.

Including the video of YY singing, videos of her friends testifying, the phone call between BC and MZ. I didn't look, but I assume they have YY's mother's vid as well. That will be difficult to watch -especially knowing what the result is now.......

Exhibits | Central District of Illinois | United States District Court

MZ-BC phonecall is Govt122 in the video/audio column.
See file "Gov 102" in the Audio/Video column for YY and her band singing Avril Lavigne's "Complicated". The video file was too big to upload directly.

YY was so talented in so many fields. Watching the video was tough for me. Crying :(

"Bob" sure likes attention. Doesn't he?

The Daily Illini

@TheDailyIllini

·
12h

A member of the jury in the trial against Brendt Christensen for the kidnapping murder of Yingying Zhang speaks to The Daily Illini. Bob, who chose not to share his name or position on his decision, shares what life was like for a juror on the case:

It has now been just over a week since the jury could not unanimously decide what the punishment of the kidnapper and killer of visiting scholar Yingying Zhang’s should be.

It’s a life or death decision not many people think about having to make in their lifetime. However, for 12 people this decision was on their minds for almost four weeks.

Brendt Christensen was found guilty toward the end of June, for kidnapping resulting in death by the same jury that could not unanimously decide if he should be sentenced to death or life in prison, ending their deliberations on a 10-2 vote for the death penalty, according to one of the alternate jurors from the trial, Bob, who did not wish to disclose his last name for the article but was willing to speak with The Daily Illini about his experience.

The jury consisted of 12 jurors and six alternates. The alternates did not participate in any of the deliberations or verdicts but were required to sit through the trial just in case one of them needed to step in. The alternates were also required to follow the same rules as the other jurors.

Every day, Bob would leave his house in Bloomington, Illinois, around 7 a.m. to get to the courthouse in Peoria by the latest 9 a.m. Before that, however, Bob had a job and canoeing trip in Canada to look forward to this summer.

“I immediately knew when I pulled it from the mailbox that (it was) a jury summons,” Bob said.

He informed his brother, who he had planned the trip with he may not be able to go on the trip, and he eventually found out that he was right. He officially canceled his trip to be an alternate juror for the case U.S. v. Christensen.

At the very beginning, when opening statements first began in the guilty or not guilty phase, Christensen’s attorneys said right away they would not deny his guilt in Zhang’s murder.

“From a jury’s perspective … isn’t that the whole reason we’re here: for us to hear the evidence and make that decision?” Bob said.

He said after the entire trial ended on July 18, prosecutors Eugene Miller and James Nelson as well as Judge James Shadid, spoke with the jury and answered any questions they may have had post the trial.

The admission of Christensen’s guilt by his attorneys was brought up to the prosecutors during this time, Bob said. They said they were supposed to expect anything but didn’t know what the defense would essentially come out with, so it was a surprise but wasn’t completely unexpected.

After Christensen was found guilty by the jury, the sentencing trial didn’t begin until about a week and half later, after the Fourth of July. This is when Bob was able to catch up on some work he might have missed, but he also got to go on his canoeing trip with his brother.

During the canoeing trip in Canada, there was no service and no electronics, so it was easy to stay away from any media coverage of the case, and he said his brother was good about not asking him about it as well.

“There we’re back in the bush. There is no communications. There is no electricity. There’s nothing,” he said. “It was a great way to destress and be out in the wild and go fishing and not think about or discuss the case.”

But eventually it was time to come back for the start of the sentencing phase. At the start of this phase each juror was asked if he or she had read, seen, heard or discussed anything about the case and every single juror had not.

Bob said as a jury, everyone was really good about paying close attention to all the evidence and to what was being said, adding the majority of the jurors also had some form of college education.

During the numerous and often emotional testimonies, Bob said there was discussion of possibly needing one of the alternate jurors to step in because one of the other sitting jurors had to leave the courtroom during a testimony from Zhang’s family. However, she was questioned by the judge and both sides of counsel and was cleared to stay on.

Bob said depending on who was on the witness stand at the time, there was often a swing of emotion.

“You would hear the testimony of Yingying’s parents and brother and boyfriend and friends, and that was extremely emotional,” he said. “Then you’d hear testimony of Brendt Christensen’s friends and family and I would say that was a little less emotional because he was the killer, but you’d have a shift (of emotion) then depending on who was talking at the time.”

He said his emotions did ebb and flow, but his position stayed pretty steady throughout the sentencing phase, and he is respectful of the decision the jury ended up with.

Although Bob did not wish to say if he would have voted for either death or life, he did say this: “If I could trade Brendt Christensen for Yingying, I would undoubtedly, immediately.”

sjboyle2@dailyillini.com

Juror recounts day in the life of a juror in a capital punishment case | The Daily Illini

Say what you will, but he's the only reason we know it was 10-2 for death. None of the others have come forward and talked with the press, as far as I know.

I think knowing the lopsidedness of the vote has helped tone down the outrage at not getting the DP. I hope that number is also providing some comfort for her family...

See file "Gov 102" in the Audio/Video column for YY and her band singing Avril Lavigne's "Complicated". The video file was too big to upload directly.

YY was so talented in so many fields. Watching the video was tough for me. Crying :(

They have the transcripts of the interviews with Yingying's friends up now as well. I havent checked today, but as of Friday, they still did not have the transcript of her mother's video available.

The sadness of this case is almost unbearable. I feel awful every time I see her family, especially her mother. It is so depressing to me, knowing that that there were two jurors who could spare his life because of substance abuse issues.

I wonder if those two realize that substance abuse isn't causing him to continue with his torture of her family. Admiral Nelson isn't ordering him to stay silent when it comes to divulging information on her remains....

Am losing track of so many things… is there a transcript of MZ’s complete testimony on the stand? One thing I’m curious about, as I recall, BC called her ~90 mins. after the abduction — I assume at some point (on the stand or elsewhere) she was questioned what they talked about? (Also, I assume that call could be traced, and LE knows it came from BC’s apt., or no?)

These are vital questions!

Am losing track of so many things… is there a transcript of MZ’s complete testimony on the stand? One thing I’m curious about, as I recall, BC called her ~90 mins. after the abduction — I assume at some point (on the stand or elsewhere) she was questioned what they talked about? (Also, I assume that call could be traced, and LE knows it came from BC’s apt., or no?)

Unlike with the opening statements and first day of the trial, they havent made available rough drafts of the transcripts for any other days of the trial, as far as I know. You should be able to find this stuff out once the full transcripts are made available. I believe that is ~90 days after completion of the trial.

Even more important. What exactly was said during that phone call? I remember it listed in the evidence but was blank? Is it known what was actually said? I find it curious that he would call her in the middle of a double felony and not mention it.

Unlike with the opening statements and first day of the trial, they havent made available rough drafts of the transcripts for any other days of the trial, as far as I know. You should be able to find this stuff out once the full transcripts are made available. I believe that is ~90 days after completion of the trial.

Just curious. Is there a reason for 90 days? Will everything be available then? Plea deal specifics? Etc

Even more important. What exactly was said during that phone call? I remember it listed in the evidence but was blank? Is it known what was actually said? I find it curious that he would call her in the middle of a double felony and not mention it.
Again, my blurry recollection is that MZ had placed 2 unanswered calls to BC, so his call was basically a return call to her (when he finally had a free moment!) to check in (but still wonder what he said). I just think the crime must've been over and YY dead (possibly even remains disposed) when he got around to making it, just 90 mins. after abduction.

This is a recent review of the Stonegate Apartments where BC used to live. Offhand, does anyone know if this type of building camera surveillance was in effect back in June of 2017 or if anything was reported about recorded evidence of BC at his Stonegate building back then?

Thank you.

C M
1 review
2 months ago
apartment is not in the best area, is definitely more expensive and less nice than other in area. Apartment fixes problems when necessary but has absolutely no up keep to the buildings. I’ve lived here almost a year and I’ve seen it cleaned once. There’s bee hives in my hallways. They DO NOT give you barely any warning before showing and entering your building only a couple minutes with absolutely no common courtesy. Absolutely no security either in a not nice area so doesn’t feel safe.

Response from the owner
2 months ago
Hi C. I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope we didn't fail to alert you to what all we offer: we have cameras that record 24 hours a day around your building, we police the grounds at nice to check on our security lighting (and have considerably expanded that lighting, especially around your building) and the halls are cleaned weekly. Nonetheless, we hope your next rental experience is a better one.

This is a recent review of the Stonegate Apartments where BC used to live. Offhand, does anyone know if this type of building camera surveillance was in effect back in June of 2017 or if anything was reported about recorded evidence of BC at his Stonegate building back then?

Thank you.

C M
1 review
2 months ago
apartment is not in the best area, is definitely more expensive and less nice than other in area. Apartment fixes problems when necessary but has absolutely no up keep to the buildings. I’ve lived here almost a year and I’ve seen it cleaned once. There’s bee hives in my hallways. They DO NOT give you barely any warning before showing and entering your building only a couple minutes with absolutely no common courtesy. Absolutely no security either in a not nice area so doesn’t feel safe.

Response from the owner
2 months ago
Hi C. I'm sorry you feel that way. I hope we didn't fail to alert you to what all we offer: we have cameras that record 24 hours a day around your building, we police the grounds at nice to check on our security lighting (and have considerably expanded that lighting, especially around your building) and the halls are cleaned weekly. Nonetheless, we hope your next rental experience is a better one.

I
When I visited that apt complex in the fall of 2017. ( wanted to see where that lived ) as I was leaving, yhere was a guy throwing a bag of trash into the nearby dumpster. I asked him if the complex had security cameras. He said. Only on the dumpsters.
Make of that what u will. I can only assume if they did have full c o verage the FBI would be on it. Right?

Again, my blurry recollection is that MZ had placed 2 unanswered calls to BC, so his call was basically a return call to her (when he finally had a free moment!) to check in (but still wonder what he said). I just think the crime must've been over and YY dead (possibly even remains disposed) when he got around to making it, just 90 mins. after abduction.

You think he was all done in 90 minutes? That seems awful fast. And, if so, that somehow makes it even more evil.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back