CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you. in advance is a better way to put it. I just thought live was live and no one knew what the question was going to be.

There are two things going on. The RCMP press people would prepare Qs and As in advance for the use of the presenter. These would try to anticipate likely questions. This Q and A package might be given to the press. Secondly, there are the live questions put by the press, which are answered based on the pre-prepared Qs and As.

In this case, the RCMP clearly do not want to volunteer a lot of information. As someone has just pointed out, one reason is that McLeod and Schmegelsky may be listening.

Some people here are apparently frustrated with that. I’m not. I prefer that the RCMP run this rather than amateur keyboard warriors on the internet :)

There are two things going on. The RCMP press people would prepare Qs and As in advance for the use of the presenter. These would try to anticipate likely questions. This Q and A package might be given to the press. Secondly, there are the live questions put by the press, which are answered based on the pre-prepared Qs and As.

In this case, the RCMP clearly do not want to volunteer a lot of information. As someone has just pointed out, one reason is that McLeod and Schmegelsky may be listening.

Some people here are apparently frustrated with that. I’m not. The RCMP are running this, not keyboard warriors on the internet :)

McLeod and Schmegelsky already knew that they shot their first two victims.

This is possibly what you’re thinking of -

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fox-lake-nightly-community-patrol-fugitives-1.5225799
“When Beardy saw thick, black smoke that evening, he couldn't have guessed the charred ride represented a significant clue in the hunt for two suspects that's sent fear rippling through the region.

He is spooked by the thought that fugitives suspected of killing three people would have been close to him.

"We sat here for, like, 45 minutes before anyone got here. They could have been sitting in the bush watching us," Beardy said Thursday.

Even if they just came out of the bush … we would have probably just helped them out, because it's just pretty much the way we all are around here."

Beardy and his family were the first people to find the burning SUV linked to McLeod and Schmegelsky. He reported it to RCMP, and then Manitoba conservation officers once they became concerned the fire would spread...”

This is one of them, and I may have the 45 minutes thing mixed up, but there was a post somewhere about how he had to 'find' it first.

This is wild.

According to the manuscript's cover, Schmegelsky wrote it in 12 days while drunk.“

“My soul wrote this in 12 days. I could have sold my soul thirty years ago when my dad told me the Canadian Red Cross gave him Aids.”

• Alan Schmegelsky contacted media across the world. including DailyMail.com. hoping to boost readership of his self-published book
  • The rambling memoir, entitled Red Flagged, is a bizarre 131-page screed covering the last ten years of Schmegelsky Sr’s life
  • His story reveals how he struggled for years with his mental health and he tells of the dysfunctional household in which his fugitive son Bryer was raised
Father of teen Canadian murder fugitive tries to hijack media frenzy to publicize his new book | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
I thought the post was smug and rude and really just a swipe at the U.S.
Not at all, I think the original poster and speaking for myself I have read through countless posts inferring that Canada needs help. There is clearly a 'peaked' interest from the USA and Australia because 2 of those murdered are from their countries. I don't feel there is a good understanding of the world class top notch Royal Canadian Mounted Police. I feel if it was a third world country perhaps it would be a different situation. We have the expertise for the country in the sense of the vast difficult wilderness which is not evident in USA because of more heavy population. We also have CSIS and state of the art equipment. I would not hesitate to say, that behind the scenes RCMP are likely consulting with some of their fellow partnerships on forensics in the USA and if they do require assistance they would certain ask the USA in a heartbeat. I'm not sure there has been any official offer. It's like the fugitive murderer currently in Canada from Texas, your LE are confident in the RCMP to search for him.

I hope you are right and I agree with you about no answers. Hope we are at a turning point.

But I have to say as a non Canadian that I'm surprised that the the lack of outrage isn't more widespread, even on social media. Haven't heard a peep from politicians, press, mayors etc.

The lack of US press on the ground in northern canada following the story of a US Citizen gunned down while on vacation is also stunning and surprising. None of the major networks did an update today and the story seems to have gone silent which was disappointing. The major networks seem to simply be recycling AP/Reuters reports rather than doing any investigative work.

RCMP said early on that they would be briefing the FBI on the Deese/Fowler case. But with the extensive resources of the FBI why is there no update as to whether they are participating in the investigation? Even the way the involvement of the Aussie Detectives was postured was as 'family liasons' rather than contributing members of an investigative team. Why? Did the Aussies have nothing to add of value to the process? Is the RCMP unwilling to work with outside law enforcement agencies?

Tourism is a big industry in Canada and for this reason alone I would have thought that RCMP would invite outside assistance but so far it hasn't been seen other than the Canadian Air Force today in Gillam. The idea that peak tourist season is in full swing and 2 teenagers passed through 3 provinces with no alerts from RCMP to people on the roads that might not be following the news is something that I think few will forget. People have just been lucky that unsuspecting tourists have not been seen to be targeted en masse.

The territory of the search is enormous and the terrain punishing so I hope that the RCMP has the resources it needs to effectively find 2 6'4" needles in a very large haystack!

Perhaps the police know things that you (and the rest of us here) don't know. The might also have knowledge that will help prosecutors in securing a conviction. If that knowledge becomes public, it potentially compromises a jury pool and make convictions more difficult to obtain. The Canadian justice is not the same as the US system.
There is no outrage in Canada because Canadians actually understand the terrain and the size of the country.

If American news outlets aren’t all over this, it’s because they are preoccupied with Trump and two American teenagers who have allegedly killed a cop in Italy, neither of these being stories that require trying to find people in a vast wilderness. Besides, American journalists probably find a free trip to Rome more enticing than a free trip to Gillam.

The RCMP haven’t brought in “help” from US and Australian police because the RCMP know what they are dealing with in terms of geography, have the resources they need, can draw on more resources if needed (there are 110o RCMP officers in Manitoba alone), and because of one other small matter - foreign police have no jurisdiction in Canada, any more than Canadian police have jurisdiction in the US or Australia.

But hey, bring in Crocodile Dundee, who no doubt will sort this out in a jiffy :)

It's true about the reporters. Not everybody in the professional is an intrepid investigative journalist. Given the choice between staying in a posh hotel in a major city (US or international) with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, or trekking circuitously to a remote northern outpost of Canada, where one might have to stay at a relatively spartan motel or hunting lodge, the vast majority of reporters will opt for the former every single time. It's probably not easy persuading a cosseted network-news reporter to accept that sort of assignment.

• Alan Schmegelsky contacted media across the world. including DailyMail.com. hoping to boost readership of his self-published book
  • The rambling memoir, entitled Red Flagged, is a bizarre 131-page screed covering the last ten years of Schmegelsky Sr’s life
  • His story reveals how he struggled for years with his mental health and he tells of the dysfunctional household in which his fugitive son Bryer was raised
Father of teen Canadian murder fugitive tries to hijack media frenzy to publicize his new book | Daily Mail Online

The madness escalates.. . Naturally, the Daily Mail has seen fit not to claim they they themselves would have ghost written this for Alan. Alan himself looks and sounds like he would take 131 pages to explain how he ties his shoes up, so it is hardly credible that he would have written this all on his ownsome.

Besides, this is a man, who is still struggling with his mental health , and this has to be right up there with gratuitous cruelty of a peculiar and particular kind almost exclusively attributable to the Daily Fail.

Agree with you but other than a look of mild exasperation from the Press Officer after the first question there has been no change in RCMP communication. The second agitated question from the press the other day did get a bit of a scowl from the Press Officer but all it generated was a re-reading of the prepared remarks first in english and then in classroom french as if to simply punish the audience yet again for simply asking a question!

The media officer is required to be bilingual. There are French radio and television stations that ask questions and they must be answered in French if requested. The RCMP is a National police force in a bilingual Country.
If there were paper questions they may have been emailed in earlier.

Perhaps the police know things that you (and the rest of us here) don't know. The might also have knowledge that will help prosecutors in securing a conviction. If that knowledge becomes public, it potentially compromises a jury pool and make convictions more difficult to obtain. The Canadian justice is not the same as the US system.

It's true about the reporters. Not everybody in the professional is an intrepid investigative journalist. Given the choice between staying in a posh hotel in a major city (US or international) with plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, or trekking circuitously to a remote northern outpost of Canada, where one might have to stay at a relatively spartan motel or hunting lodge, the vast majority of reporters will opt for the former every single time. It's probably not easy persuading a cosseted network-news reporter to accept that sort of assignment.
Why show up at all if they can't ask unscripted questions ? Just watch it on TV .....moo

This is wild.

“According to the manuscript's cover, Schmegelsky wrote it in 12 days while drunk.“

Ummmmm this isn’t cool

thank you. in advance is a better way to put it. I just thought live was live and no one knew what the question was going to be.
Nope. Not the way its done. Nothing left to chance.

I am curious though that if there had been a major development in the case while the News Briefing had been going on whether the Press Officer would have shared the information. Or, would the protocol be to write up the statement and wait for the next day to present the information to the press and the world?

I think the vehicle fires were meant to both destroy evidence/slow down identification and act as a signature for their spree. The fact that it hasn't happened since suggests to me that they either are no longer in a position to do it (on foot/injured/deceased), or they realize the heat it brings is a risk.

I also think the fires were to draw attention to themselves, they want the notoriety. With no burning vehicles they could've easily been under the radar, no trace. Could've ditched their truck in the deep woods easily and quietly. They wanted to be known, JMO.

This is wild.

According to the manuscript's cover, Schmegelsky wrote it in 12 days while drunk.“

“My soul wrote this in 12 days. I could have sold my soul thirty years ago when my dad told me the Canadian Red Cross gave him Aids.”

omg this cannot be real
could this case get any more bizarre?
I feel like I'm in a dream (nightmare)

The madness escalates.. . Naturally, the Daily Mail has seen fit not to claim they they themselves would have ghost written this for Alan. Alan himself looks and sounds like he would take 131 pages to explain how he ties his shoes up, so it is hardly credible that he would have written this all on his ownsome.

Besides, this is a man, who is still struggling with his mental health , and this has to be right up there with gratuitous cruelty of a peculiar and particular kind almost exclusively attributable to the Daily Fail.

LOL

I understand the two language usage for the questions. I think it would have to be near exact repeats from one language to the other. I have just wondered after yesterday if there was someone there typing really fast and getting papers passed or if it was pre written. nothing negative intended to be implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member