CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...so I just signed up yesterday and this is my first post and I haven't even made it through all the comments from this morning yet so apologies if I'm repeating anything someone else has voiced.
I've been watching this case since the start for numerous reasons:
1. I live in BC and to be completely honest I am terrified they will come back this way. I know it is unlikely as they would easily be recognized, but it IS their home and if at some point they need that level of comfort maybe they would. I also have a camping trip planned soon, and well....not sure how I feel about going now. Though this is all just my own paranoia taking over and I am aware of that.
2. This is what I really want to discuss....I keep seeing people talk about how they were part of gaming communities and how that apparently is the cause for what they are doing, and/or that they have had help from them.
What I want to say about that is this....First, one of the people they Were associated with that way have already come forward with information so what is making anyone think that they are helping them?! Also, what makes you think that the police are not already looking into this? They've been to their houses....I''m sure they have collected any electronics they could and would be checking through them for any useful information. If they had been talking with people online about 'a plan' or something, the police likely already know and have spoken with said person.
Second, just because someone plays video games does mean that they are more likely to go off on some spree(assuming that is what they are doing).

I'm sorry if I sound angry, but this type of thing bothers me quite a bit. I've been playing video games my whole life and Yes, ALL kinds of games. I am fully aware of reality vs. a game....I am fully aware of right vs. wrong.....I function just fine in society. I can also say that if anyone I know through gaming were suspects of murder and a massive country wide manhunt was underway, the first I would be doing is calling the police if I had any information I thought they may need.

Please stop making this assumption simply because someone picks up a game controller.

Welcome to Websleuths CanadianMade!

I read this am that 15 year old Jaden Ashman won 1.3 million playing fortnight. No I don’t think all gamers are murderers, I think that murderers are in all walks off life.

It tells us something about the victims, and it is in the context of the discussion about whether people take risks in foreign countries that they would not take at home. As I said in the original context, they were 4 hours from the nearest populated area and I don't understand why the murdered couple did not feel more urgency to solve the disabled vehicle problem.
A thought - based on your wondering about the van and registration, etc. We learned Lucas bought the van from the ranch, correct? It's quite possible the owner or someone mentioned it was not quite aboveboard since he was living in BC. Maybe told him "No biggie since you'll be in remote areas..." "Just don't get pulled over or you'll have a fine." Could be he bought it for the trip and when he retuned to the ranch end of July, he could have rectified it.

My point is, this could be a reason why they didn't want help with the van, to avoid anyone asking for the registration, etc. Moot point now, I suppose and IMO just a shame that they didn't accept help from someone or get towed. Good old hindsight.

Manhunt brings global attention to Gillam, Man.
"The deaths of Fowler, Deese and Leonard Dyck, and the ensuing cross-country search for McLeod and Schmegelsky, have transfixed audiences around the globe.

At times this week, coverage of the deaths has been the top story on CNN's website and one of the most-read articles in all of BBC News. There has been coverage in Portugal and the Netherlands and Uruguay, and on Fox News.

It's a lot of attention for a town of 1,200 people that is typically ignored even by the Canadian media. Prior to this week, Gillam had been mentioned by name on CTVNews.ca in seven articles in the past five years – three times for issues related to passenger train service, three times because of allegations of racism tied to a nearby hydro development, and once because a pilot was killed when his personal aircraft crashed after takeoff from Gillam's airport.

Some of the journalists covering this story, whether on the ground or abroad, take more time to understand Canada's north than others.

The RCMP tweeted a photo Saturday of a polar bear spotted by one of the air search crews. The tweet was likely meant to showcase the natural diversity of northern Manitoba, as it is by no means unusual for polar bears to be roaming northern Manitoba, and parts of the region are considered to be among the best spots in the world for tourists to see the bears."

The deaths of Fowler, Deese and Leonard Dyck, and the ensuing cross-country search for McLeod and Schmegelsky, have transfixed audiences around the globe.

At times this week, coverage of the deaths has been the top story on CNN's website and one of the most-read articles in all of BBC News. There has been coverage in Portugal and the Netherlands and Uruguay, and on Fox News.

It's a lot of attention for a town of 1,200 people that is typically ignored even by the Canadian media. Prior to this week, Gillam had been mentioned by name on CTVNews.ca in seven articles in the past five years – three times for issues related to passenger train service, three times because of allegations of racism tied to a nearby hydro development, and once because a pilot was killed when his personal aircraft crashed after takeoff from Gillam's airport.

Some of the journalists covering this story, whether on the ground or abroad, take more time to understand Canada's north than others.

The RCMP tweeted a photo Saturday of a polar bear spotted by one of the air search crews. The tweet was likely meant to showcase the natural diversity of northern Manitoba, as it is by no means unusual for polar bears to be roaming northern Manitoba, and parts of the region are considered to be among the best spots in the world for tourists to see the bears."

"I think the reason we have followed this so closely is the nature, the narrative of this horrendous crime. From what we know, it's completely random," she said.

"It's so unusual – people going to a tourist destination like Canada and something like this happens.
RCMP officers search for alleged triple-killers Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky in the Gillam, Man. area. (RCMP Manitoba / Twitter)

Another reporter questioning the silence

Andrew Kurjata Vacation Mode on Twitter

Andrew Kurjata Vacation Mode
@akurjata
Mayors do not have the power to tell individual councillors when and how to talk to media. Councillors are independently elected by their constituents and answer to them.

IntegrityBC @INTEGRITYBC 37m
Officials told to keep ‘mouths shut’ in B.C. hometown of suspected killers as manhunt continues (link: Officials told to keep ‘mouths shut’ in B.C. hometown of suspected killers as manhunt continues | The Star) thestar.com/vancouver/2019… via @torontostar #bcpoli #cdnpoli #manhunt #rcmp #portalbernibc
2:57 PM · Jul 28, 2019

With regards to the Gillam search continuing, I think police have no choice but to keep searching there until they can prove they left. They just can't abandon the local people with the risk that the two are still around. Imagine if the search were called off, and at that point the suspects emerged from their hiding place and killed someone around Gillam. The recriminations and outrage against police would be epic.

I think they did it because they were afraid a witness would come forward who had seen their truck at the Dease/Fowler homicide scene.
If that was true I would assume that they would have just killed that witness. Also if there was a witness then why hasn’t that person come forward? Or may that person has ...who knows.

It doesn’t tell us anything that has any relevance to this murder.

I wouldn’t drive a 1986, 33 year old van up there in the first place, but I have money, I’m not 23 and I’m not Mr. FixIt when it comes to 33 year old vans.

So what? Who cares about the registration, the insurance, whether he was right or wrong not to call a tow truck?

You might as well ask why he was on the Alaska Highway in a 33 year old vehicle.

None of this has anything to do with Fowler and his girlfriend minding their own business and getting murdered.

Well, it does have to do with how long it took to identify them, which is a part of their story and a part of this crime story. The victims themselves are part of the story. Their families had to wait, as I understand it, for identification (accomplished eventually when Chynne's well hidden passport was unearthed in the van, despite the fire). The plates did not lead to their identification.

And I do ask questions, myself, as to why people do what they do in general (take a 33 year old van on that journey). I ask those questions all the time. If that's not allowed here, I will stop, but I would hope that would come from a mod. I am interested in human nature, adventurousness, risk taking and so on. I think it's a valid interest and is connected to the story here.

SBM

The findings suggest an increase in medical procedures post World War II and inadequate hospital sterilization of reusable needles and syringes are the culprits.

Post World War II - that's almost 70 years ago from the article you quoted. I went to Nursing School in the early 80's and everything was single use...and had been for a long time.

Here is a recent article about children bring infected with HIV by a doctor reusing needles....but that's in Pakistan. Certainly not the level of medical care available in Canada

More than 400 children infected with HIV 'by rogue doctor' in Pakistan

Please read the study itself. Some technicians at medical labs are also telling people of a certain age about this when they go for routine blood tests.

Post-WWII is any time post-WWII, not just one year. Many Canadian hospitals did not start improving sterilization practices until the late 1950s. But, getting OT.

Ha! He sure does.

He drunk wrote a book in 12 days, and is now trying to drum up publicity for it.

I’m sure it’s Pulitzer worthy.

I drunk wrote a poem one night. When I sobered up the next day, even I couldn't read it...no wonder that phone number on that napkin in my pocket was out of order.

More and more people are aware of how the press can misconstrue things and put words into peoples mouths, i for one dont blame anyone for not talking to the press

Besides, I'm not sure what substantive insight an employee of the local government could offer. It would have been irresponsible of her to disclose town gossip, presuming she knew of any, and anything else might have been proscribed by authorities. I'm really not sure what the reporter expected.

Curious is it a fact that their van broke down? Could the suspects truck have broken down and Lucas & chynna’s stopped to assist.?

It’s been verified by witnesses who saw and spoke to them. One was a mechanic who discussed the details of the van issue and he left thinking that Lucas had it under control. A simple flooded engine that would rectify itself after a bit of time.

No don’t discourage him from going north, it’s the most beautiful part of the country(IMO)! Just tell him to do his research and be prepared if he does.
And buy some polar bear spray once you cross the border because only with great difficulty can you bring a gun across the border or anything more than a small, folding, pocket knife.

I'm going shopping in Old Quebec in four weeks. I hope these young men and the polar bear don't head in that direction.

If that was true I would assume that they would have just killed that witness. Also if there was a witness then why hasn’t that person come forward? Or may that person has ...who knows.
Plus, burning the truck probably just delays figuring out who the owner is, not a solid plan for keeping undercover. Why not drive it deep into the bush and leave it? No fire, nothing brings attention, etc.

Well, it does have to do with how long it took to identify them, which is a part of their story and a part of this crime story. The victims themselves are part of the story. Their families had to wait, as I understand it, for identification (accomplished eventually when Chynne's well hidden passport was unearthed in the van, despite the fire). The plates did not lead to their identification.

And I do ask questions, myself, as to why people do what they do in general (take a 33 year old van on that journey). I ask those questions all the time. If that's not allowed here, I will stop, but I would hope that would come from a mod. I am interested in human nature, adventurousness, risk taking and so on. I think it's a valid interest and is connected to the story here.

I’m just expressing a personal view on relevance, nothing to do with what’s allowed; and I’m the one who said that if people want to keep going down this particular rabbit hole the better question might be, why a 33 year old vehicle.

Another reporter questioning the silence

Andrew Kurjata Vacation Mode on Twitter

Andrew Kurjata Vacation Mode
@akurjata
Mayors do not have the power to tell individual councillors when and how to talk to media. Councillors are independently elected by their constituents and answer to them.

IntegrityBC @INTEGRITYBC 37m
Officials told to keep ‘mouths shut’ in B.C. hometown of suspected killers as manhunt continues (link: Officials told to keep ‘mouths shut’ in B.C. hometown of suspected killers as manhunt continues | The Star) thestar.com/vancouver/2019… via @torontostar #bcpoli #cdnpoli #manhunt #rcmp #portalbernibc
2:57 PM · Jul 28, 2019
Mayors can advise council to not discuss anything with the media, specifically when it pertains to private information about residents of their community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine