CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said before I think the motive is the notoriety for murdering people and getting away with it. They want to break laws but they also want to outsmart LE and the public. IMO.

MOO as well, but this is what I take from it as well, provided they did actually kill all three of them. Only other option I would think is as someone else previously mentioned....thought the van was empty, tried to break in and things went downhill from there.

True, but if the suspects aren't yet convicted in a court of law, but believe they have their own side to tell (but it won't make sense in light of the LE narrative), they will be just one step closer to wanting the blaze of glory ending. The public has overwhelming accepted, based on what we do know, that they are the perps and the only perps. And since we may never know if they are dead...this may also be inadvertent legend-building (if more murders happen down the road, and someone sets a car on fire).
I agree, the whole phenomenon of murder/suicide solely for the sake of the public notoriety is very complicating in preventing and solving crimes. I think that's another reason police avoid giving the media juicy details.

For example, I think police put out the 'missing' narrative early on, giving the suspects a chance to quietly turn themselves in. I think police deliberately avoided feeding the 'serial killer(s) on the loose on BC's highways' narrative, until they really had no choice.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I do get this, but it seems that the delay in identifying the victims keeps getting blamed on the probable improper registration of the van, as opposed to the lack of ID found on the victims, and it is THAT part that I don't get. I do see how the story got much bigger when the identities were discovered, and that surely contributed to much wider coverage in the news.

Oh - right, you're right about that! That license plate was just the last little life preserver that you take into the middle of the Pacific, after doing all kinds of other things to survive. And I know that people have the view that "kids do the darnedest things" and these victims were very young and therefore sort of like the German kayakers in the story linked above. I am immersed in teaching 600 or so undergrads a year and I use travel and wilderness stories (scenarios nearly all undergrads envision for themselves) as teachable moments.

From the young person's point of view, though, the main reason to have multiple forms of ID stowed in various places in a vehicle, is to make their families rest easier, the argument I've been making about journalism won't fly with the younger set. And I don't blame any of them for wanting a free and easy life on the road, just as I did. I did so many stupid things. But as an older person who teaches younger people, I want them to learn as much as possible.

Lucas probably knew the van could break down, but no one anticipates crazed teen killers on their same route. Nor is there any real way to protect yourself (aside from open carry, sleeping in shifts, using night vision goggles? I mean, seriously - is that what some people will now do? I do know people who will do that...but they're already over-prepared for every single thing they think can happen). Even if someone did all that, they sure aren't going to shoot two teens on sight (well, maybe in Arizona or Florida).

We've already heard from a few WS members that they have rethought their camping plans in Manitoba. I'm really curious about how long that effect will last, whether any future crimes occur that are similar or copy cat or the actual perps resurfacing (especially in the next 5 years, where there will be some memory for this event).

I hate that Manitoba is essentially now terrorized for an indefinite period of time. The Las Vegas shootings and the Borderline shootings - in Newbury Park, CA ended in the death of the perp and not this kind of extended fear (ranging, I'm sure from mild to strong, with people's normal reactions influenced by it). The Boston Bombers basically had no real place to hide or die unseen.

So if S&M were to change appearances, what changes might they make?
Off the top of my head for now, Bryer S would go blond, maybe add a moustach and CM, would be too proud of his facial hair to shave it,( although if he had recently grown it out that may have been pre-planning,) in which case he would shave it, perhaps adding fake glasses and shaving his head.
Guesses, speculation, imo.
More than 200 tips received in manhunt but no sign of B.C. suspects wanted for murder | The Star
"Police have said Schmegelsky and McLeod may have changed their appearance to try to evade the intense manhunt that includes officers from several jurisdictions searching on foot, with dogs and using drones."

Another outdoor expert who didn't know about the two German tourists who used a flimsy canoe and then walked 115km in this area.

Oh I'm sure Clint is well aware of the two German tourists. And, what he said stands true. Just because two people survived the bush around there doesn't mean everyone will. Clint is an expert, and also a local. Besides, he never said that the suspects will die in the bush, he said that they could.

Another Canadian day, astonishing that these two are still out there. Unless they are dead.

Bonjour mes chers frères et soeurs canadiens, cher Dieu, rien! toujours en fuite! ..

I now must go back 40 pages and medidate on everyone's contributions!...

The blue van of Lucas/Chynna was not burned, so DNA could have been collected from van and bodies.

Prof. Dyck's body was left on a very visible highway lookout, perhaps intentionally, so DNA could have been collected there too.

But the main link was probably ballistics match.

My whole issue is that LD didn’t die from a gunshot wound. I highly doubt that there is any ballistic evidence from that crime scene at all. So I don’t believe that ballistics evidence was the common link.

Yes. Blue van was intact except for damage to rear window which was broken. We have not seen pictures of inside the van to know what if anything was done to it. Other vehicles involved that we are aware of: camper truck and RAV4 were burned.
Also, I'm jumping to the conclusion that one or both of the alleged perps was in the van (DNA source). Authorities had a hard time ID'ing the couple and only found a passport of Chynna's hidden away. So I'm assuming that wallets and/or purses were stolen. I keep jumping on here in the hopes that we will hear news. I'm so worried about possible future victims. We've lost too much already.

I'm struggling with the main 'story line' that these guys were going out on a spree and were going to go out in a blaze of glory.

What's the motive here? What's the ultimate objective

ETA: typo

I have asked this before. What is the motive?

Why were Lucas and Chynna seating on chairs by the side of the road and looking calm after they broke down? Were they waiting for somebody? Who was the bearded man they were seen arguing with and why is he no longer being sought by the police?

Some people have noted the absence of security video footage from gas stations. In the area where I have my summer home in rural Newfoundland, there are two places to buy gas. They are both independent operators and neither has security cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla