CA - Mass shooting at Gilroy Garlic Festival, 3 dead up to 11 injured, 28 July 2019

As a former resident of Santa Cruz and attendee of the Garlic Festival, this hits very close to home. The scariest part of the garlic festival should be your friends convincing you to try the garlic ice cream, not being a victim of something so violent.

My heart goes out to the victims. While this is still an unspeakable tragedy, thankfully the QUICK response by LE stopped this from being something infinitely worse.

There is considerable gang presence in the surrounding areas and it does sometimes find its way into the garlic festival, so in recent years the event has had a fairly heavy police presence to keep an eye out for such things. While I'm sure they weren't expecting something of this magnitude, they definitely were prepared to respond and probably saved dozens upon dozens of lives as a result.

After hearing the stories of many attendees, it seems like SO many people jumped to action to protect and help others at the risk of their own safety. In the wake of such a tragedy, it is easy to get overwhelmed by the unspeakable evil that commits such atrocious acts. However, I find a lot of comfort and a restored faith in humanity in hearing about the many many people who instinctively protected and provided aid to strangers. The goodness in humanity shall always outnumber the evil.

As a former resident of Santa Cruz and attendee of the Garlic Festival, this hits very close to home. The scariest part of the garlic festival should be your friends convincing you to try the garlic ice cream, not being a victim of something so violent.

My heart goes out to the victims. While this is still an unspeakable tragedy, thankfully the QUICK response by LE stopped this from being something infinitely worse.

There is considerable gang presence in the surrounding areas and it does sometimes find its way into the garlic festival, so in recent years the event has had a fairly heavy police presence to keep an eye out for such things. While I'm sure they weren't expecting something of this magnitude, they definitely were prepared to respond and probably saved dozens upon dozens of lives as a result.

After hearing the stories of many attendees, it seems like SO many people jumped to action to protect and help others at the risk of their own safety. In the wake of such a tragedy, it is easy to get overwhelmed by the unspeakable evil that commits such atrocious acts. However, I find a lot of comfort and a restored faith in humanity in hearing about the many many people who instinctively protected and provided aid to strangers. The goodness in humanity shall always outnumber the evil.

Thank you for all of this.

Santino William Legan legally purchased his rifle in Nevada 3 weeks ago, authorities said - CNN

The shooter had an assault-style rifle and appeared to shoot at random, Smithee said. The SKS, an “AK-47 type” rifle, was purchased legally in Nevada on July 9, he said, adding that his understanding is that Legan purchased the weapon himself.

It is believed that Legan, though originally from Gilroy, had been living with family members in Nevada, Smithee said, adding that he does not know how long Legan had been back in California.
This answers my question. Since California had changed laws regarding age to purchase a long gun to 21 and they said he bought it legally in Nevada, he had to be a resident of Nevada

interesting... SCU is a very high brow, expensive private university. fun fact, dana ewell attended.
Wow, DE that is an infamous name from the past. He was one cold blooded, scheming, entitled, pompous, evil young man. The most greedy, self-serving guy I ever spoke to on the phone. He had everything except "conscience." He had his parents and sister killed and then tried to sell their fur coats in a newspaper ad!
:)CVALDEZ:) Always good to read your posts... I know this is affecting you greatly. Take care, IQ.

"Trevor Irby, a Gilroy Garlic Festival mass shooting victim, was a recent college graduate.

Irby was one of three victims killed at the festival in Gilroy, California.

Irby was from Romulus, New York. He was a 2017 graduate of Keuka College. He graduated with a biology degree.

“The College community today mourns Trevor Irby, a biology major who graduated in 2017. Our hearts go out to Trevor’s family and loved ones. We are shocked that this latest episode of senseless gun violence resulted in the loss of one of our recent graduates—graduates in whom we place so much hope because of their potential to create a brighter tomorrow,” College President Amy Storey said in a statement."

Trevor Irby: A Tribute to the Gilroy Garlic Festival Shooting Victim | Heavy.com
trevor-irby.jpg

"Keyla Salazar was identified as one of the three victims killed at the Gilroy Garlic Festival Sunday. Salazar was only 13 years old. She was from San Jose.

Keyla Salazar’s mom, Lorena Pimentel was looking for her daughter in hospitals while her friend, Maria Zelaya, posted on Facebook looking for information on the girl, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

“My friend Lorena’s daughter was shot today at the Gilroy garlic Festival if anyone’s seen her pictured in blue T-shirt please let me know as of 9:30 she doesn’t know where she’s at…” she wrote.

She updated the post after learning the girl passed away. “Unfortunately Kayla didn’t make it, please lift her family in prayers as they will need all the support specially her mom,” she wrote."

Keyla Salazar: A Tribute to the Gilroy Garlic Festival Shooting Victim | Heavy.com
pjimage-52-1.jpg

Last edited:
Trevor Irby: A Tribute to the Gilroy Garlic Festival Shooting Victim | Heavy.com

"Keyla Salazar was identified as one of the three victims killed at the Gilroy Garlic Festival Sunday. Salazar was only 13 years old. She was from San Jose.

Keyla Salazar’s mom, Lorena Pimentel was looking for her daughter in hospitals while her friend, Maria Zelaya, posted on Facebook looking for information on the girl, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

“My friend Lorena’s daughter was shot today at the Gilroy garlic Festival if anyone’s seen her pictured in blue T-shirt please let me know as of 9:30 she doesn’t know where she’s at…” she wrote.

She updated the post after learning the girl passed away. “Unfortunately Kayla didn’t make it, please lift her family in prayers as they will need all the support specially her mom,” she wrote."

Keyla Salazar: A Tribute to the Gilroy Garlic Festival Shooting Victim | Heavy.com
pjimage-52-1.jpg

Thank you for sharing these. Heartbreaking.

so the MSM and many others are all up in arms and beside themselves with rage about the garlic festival. Where is their rage when innocent bystanders are killed during drive-by shootings?

He could have avenged ALL the "innocent bystanders" killed in his town, by killing an equal number of "guilty bystanders", if he was only allowed to fully express his rage.

I am trying to understand your argument.

Very close to home for me. My band and I perform in Gilroy regularly and recently gigged at another street festival there. It could have been us taking cover under the stage, but for the grace of God.

Prayers to the families and friends of those who were lost and injured. Aloha no.

Last edited:
so the MSM and many others are all up in arms and beside themselves with rage about the garlic festival. Where is their rage when innocent bystanders are killed during drive-by shootings? a father and 10yrold daughter were killed recently when gang-bangers shot it out during a drug deal gone bad in a grocery store parking lot. where is the rage? it's just crickets. hypocrisy.

This was targeted, and the victims weren’t killed accidentally.

All murder is terrible, but those are two very different situations.

The media is reporting what happened, it’s the public that is expressing rage.

This was targeted, and the victims weren’t killed accidentally.

All murder is terrible, but those are two very different situations.

The media is reporting what happened, it’s the public that is expressing rage.
Targeted? Where's the evidence? And I wouldn't call emptying a clip at a crowded shopping center an accident. You are making fine distinctions that simply pale in the face of the end result: the blood of young innocents.

Targeted? Where's the evidence? And I wouldn't call emptying a clip at a crowded shopping center an accident. You are making fine distinctions that simply pale in the face of the end result: the blood of young innocents.

Targeted in that it was intentional. He was trying to kill innocent people.

Your post talked about innocent bystanders being killed during gang on gang violence.

This gets more attention, because it occurred in a low risk setting.

This wasn’t a mistake.

I’m disturbed by this idea that it’s wrong that people are upset by this, and the “whataboutism,” by pointing to other events that don’t garner this type of attention.

Last edited:
I have to say, this is one case where the good guys with guns stops more tragedy from happening.

I agree.

It made me think of how so many try their best to vilify our police officers all across our nation, yet time after time... they are the ones who run toward grave danger every single time to stop it.

It shows no matter how they are vilified, maligned, attacked or physically assaulted... they still get up every single day knowing they may not make it back home to the families they all love, and do their jobs protecting their communities even if their own lives are taken.

This tragedy would have resulted in far more casualties had they not been there, and within minutes stopped the mass shooter in his evil tracks so he wouldnt be able to ever harm anyone else.

God bless them all for having the unbelivable courage needed to stop what could have been even far more deaths.

All LE knows they may also be murdered when they rush anyone with a high powered firearm. Many of them only carry handguns which puts them at a disadvantage because they must be much closer to the murderer to stop the threat immediately.

And today will be no different even though they know they have had their brothers or sisters in blue murdered in the line of duty at the rate of over once a week this year alone with many others seriously injured.

All of them no matter what communities they protect, and serve or where they live will be on duty again today fully prepared to laydown their own lives if it becomes necessary if another dangerous threat must be stopped to protect all others.

These officers are our true heroes in America for no other profession on our soil is willing to lay their own lives down to protect all others from being gravely injured or murdered by someone hellbent on murdering innocent people.... whether it's an individual victim or mass victims.

God bless these officers who undoubtedly without questions saved many lives.

My prayers are with all of the victims, both killed, and injured, and their families ....who have been forever shattered when pure evil came trying to destroy goodness, and replace it with his own diabolical evil.

In the end, no matter how long it takes, goodness will always far outweigh, and overcome evil.

Jmho

Targeted in that it was intentional. He was trying to kill innocent people.

Your post talked about innocent bystanders being killed during gang on gang violence.

This gets more attention, because it occurred in a low risk setting.

This wasn’t a mistake.

I’m disturbed by this idea that it’s wrong that people are upset by this, and the “whataboutism,” by pointing to other events that don’t garner this type of attention.
Yes, I agree.

I think these mass shooting garner public attention because the killer intentionally killed (targeted) random people in public. People relate to the situation, knowing it could happen to anyone - at the mall, in church, at a festival, at a marathon, etc.

The other killings do bother people too, but it's also easier to distance yourself from them or to accept that tragedies like an innocent killed in a drive-by exist.

People are interested in the mass shootings, imo, because they are afraid that the violence could happen in their neighborhood with absolutely no warning. Fear gets your attention, whether that is fair or not, imo.

And, as my parents would tell me, if something bothers you - like people not paying attention to guns on the streets in certain neighborhoods - then roll up your sleeves and pitch in to help. (Calling people hypocrites might not pull them over to your side, just sayng.)

jmopinion

Wow, DE that is an infamous name from the past. He was one cold blooded, scheming, entitled, pompous, evil young man. The most greedy, self-serving guy I ever spoke to on the phone. He had everything except "conscience." He had his parents and sister killed and then tried to sell their fur coats in a newspaper ad!
:)CVALDEZ:) Always good to read your posts... I know this is affecting you greatly. Take care, IQ.

OMG...a name from my teenage years. I am from Fresno.

As so often, in the wake of this sort of tragedy, many people focus on and discuss the tools used by the perpetrator, rather than on the perpetrator himself.

Whether he was crazy or evil is a fine point. He was obviously six bricks short of a full load to have committed such a senseless crime.

The big question (which the media and politicians will completely ignore) is this: What were the indications that this guy was in need of mandatory psychiatric care?

In most cases of this sort, there are many prior indications that something is wrong with the person, but no legal way to deal with it. A majority of these mass murders are committed by persons with serious mental problems.

If he was cleared in a firearms background check, it means that he had no previous CRIMINAL record. Although there is a question on the form (only one of about 20 questions) about having mental problems, it is only the person applying for the purchase of a firearm who answers it, and there is no way for that to be checked since to do so would be a violation of HIPA regulations and confidentiality.

Based on his instagram posts from the festival, he deliberately shot and killed two kids of Hispanic appearance, and a black man with white girlfriend. The surviving victims are probably mostly non-white.

He started shooting near the food court and children's playground. If he wasn't stopped quickly, this could have been a massacre.

I sincerely hope that vile White Supremacist book doesn't gain any more readers and followers.
Survivors stated that he sprayed bullets indiscriminately, apparently trying to get as many victims as possible regardless of who they were. That area has a larger Hispanic population that other locations in the US which may be why 2 of the 3 victims were of Hispanic appearance. Obviously he did post racist posts on IG, so definitely not saying that couldn't be a motivating factor, just repeating that survivors stated differently on the way he was shooting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back