Found Deceased MO - Nicholas Diemel, 35, & Justin, 24, brothers missing, Clinton County, 21 July 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically the press conference gave no new information. Why call one then?

To grandstand

Respectfully but STRONGLY disagree with the statement that LE's purpose in holding the pc was to grandstand.

I think LE had several good reasons for having that presser yesterday:

For one thing, holding that press conference helped to heighten the public's level of awareness and to maintain the public's interest in the case.

Press conferences are one way of ensuring that the media continues to cover the story. The more exposure there is, the greater the likelihood that someone who may have seen something important will realize upon seeing or hearing the news piece that they have some info that may potentially help the investigation.

Holding the press conference also demonstrated to the local community that LE is doing their best to keep people apprised of their progress and the current status of the investigation, at least to the extent that they're able to without jeopardizing the investigation.

Operating under a shroud of secrecy does not engender feelings of trust and confidence in LE.
Press conferences are a good way of fostering positive relations with both the media and the public.

This is a relatively high profile case.
The media and the public want to know what's happening, even if the news is that there's no new news to report.

LE did state yesterday that they would provide written updates daily on a going forward basis, and would keep the press/public informed of any major developments.

I think LE here is doing a superb job of striking the delicate balance between what the public has a right to know and what they need to hold close to the vest in order to preserve and protect the integrity of the case.

I'm really impressed with the way LE has comported themselves and conducted this investigation so far.

And I ain't easily impressed.

JMO.

Last edited:
I think the press conference/releases could be an investigatory tactic tool as well. They state publicly basically that they have found nothing. If JN thinks they have nothing so far, he may keep talking and hopefully digging himself a hole if he's guilty.

And also it would encourage members of public to keep sending in tips if they think they haven't found anything yet. Sometimes people avoid getting involved unless absolutely necessary.

Would love to know what excuse he gave them for driving the truck and dumping it.

I strongly disagree with this statement. The sheriff actually seemed worn out during the press conference. The public is asking for updates. The more the case is talked about in the media, the higher the possibility of a valid tip coming in. MOO.
Yes, the media had a lot of questions and the sheriff promised an update.
I think it's possible that they just have not found the answers yet that they are looking for.
If they had physical evidence that indicates that the brothers are deceased, I would think they would have charged him with something else by now.
So maybe they are just going by the fact that the suspect drove the truck, he was the last to see them, and the brothers have disappeared. Imo

This sheriff is choosing his “t”s and dotting his “i”s, so that there is is stone left unturned and he can file the proper charges and get the proper result in the end.

My bet would be he has dealt with Nelson before and would love to put him away permanently. He is taking every step to do that.

Is anyone aware of any cases off of the top of their head where LE changed from a missing person to death investigation and the person turned up alive?
Not that I know of but usually they call it a death investigation or a homicide investigation when there is a body or at least some kind of physical evidence that victims are deceased.

It seems unusual to refer to it as a death investigation just based on the circumstances but it's not unheard of. There must be some reason why they are not yet calling it a homicide investigation. Imo

I think it's possible that they just have not found the answers yet that they are looking for.
If they had physical evidence that indicates that the brothers are deceased, I would think they would have charged him with something else by now.
So maybe they are just going by the fact that the suspect drove the truck, he was the last to see them, and the brothers have disappeared. Imo
RSBM for focus

At the press briefing on Friday, when asked what led them to change the search from a missing persons case to a death investigation, Sheriff said it was based on the fact that they hadn’t been able to find them, and what they had learned through the process of the investigation.

When asked the same question yesterday, his answer was “What's changed in that is ... the finding of the truck and working on different leads with investigators.”

I am of the opinion that they found some sort of evidence of foul play when the truck was discovered. IMO, they went into action almost immediately, even activating a major crime squad activated by 3 PM the same day.

Perhaps they found evidence of extensive blood loss inside (and possibly outside) of the vehicle. Maybe they sent samples in for DNA testing and got results back Thursday or Friday, confirming that the blood came from the brothers.

LE would still have to prove Garland was the perpetrator. Even if they find his DNA on the truck, he has already admitted to moving it, so that would explain it.

Maybe he told them something along the lines of: while waiting for Nick and Justin to arrive, he goes outside. He notices a truck sitting on the property, so he walks over to the vehicle to see what is going on. There is no one inside, but it is covered in blood. He finds the key on the ground nearby.

He is scared, thinking that no one will believe him because of his criminal history. He needs to get the vehicle off the property right now, so he drives it to the commuter lot, and leaves it there.

I know the story sounds very suspicious, but it might create reasonable doubt, IMO.

RSBM for focus

At the press briefing on Friday, when asked what led them to change the search from a missing persons case to a death investigation, Sheriff said it was based on the fact that they hadn’t been able to find them, and what they had learned through the process of the investigation.

When asked the same question yesterday, his answer was “What's changed in that is ... the finding of the truck and working on different leads with investigators.”

I am of the opinion that they found some sort of evidence of foul play when the truck was discovered. IMO, they went into action almost immediately, even activating a major crime squad activated by 3 PM the same day.

Perhaps they found evidence of extensive blood loss inside (and possibly outside) of the vehicle. Maybe they sent samples in for DNA testing and got results back Thursday or Friday, confirming that the blood came from the brothers.

LE would still have to prove Garland was the perpetrator. Even if they find his DNA on the truck, he has already admitted to moving it, so that would explain it.

Maybe he told them something along the lines of: while waiting for Nick and Justin to arrive, he goes outside. He notices a truck sitting on the property, so he walks over to the vehicle to see what is going on. There is no one inside, but it is covered in blood. He finds the key on the ground nearby.

He is scared, thinking that no one will believe him because of his criminal history. He needs to get the vehicle off the property right now, so he drives it to the commuter lot, and leaves it there.

I know the story sounds very suspicious, but it might create reasonable doubt, IMO.
Very very interesting.
As I read this though...what comes to my mind is JN would probably want to blackmail someone for a profit instead of panic "trying to get the truck
off the property"

[More from the charging document in the previous case]

“21. It was further part of the scheme that on or about December 13, 2013, defendant Nelson obtained a farm personal property and liability insurance policy on his cattle through Farm Bureau Insurance in case of livestock drowning, shooting, or theft without disclosing that the FSA had first lien on all of his chattel.

22. It was further part of the scheme that from on or about December 15, 2013 through on or about March 30, 2014, defendant Nelson knowingly and intentionally made fraudulent statements to Farm Bureau Insurance, by falsely indicating his livestock had drowned or been stolen. Each time he made a claim, defendant Nelson signed a false sworn statement in a proof of loss. In fact, he had not lost the livestock in the manners claimed, and he was selling numerous cows and calves to various auction houses.

23. It was further part of the scheme that on or about March 29, 2014, in furtherance of his scheme, defendant Nelson took a vacation to the Kansas City, Missouri, area. He asked his farmhand to check and count the cattle behind his home, and the farmhand counted 34 cows
and 34 calves. Defendant Nelson indicated that was incorrect and it should be much higher. He came home, purportedly early, and took the farmhand to a wire fence that was cut and pulled it aside. The farmhand saw no evidence of cow movement in the area outside the fence, and he had never seen the number of cattle defendant Nelson claimed behind Nelson’s home. Defendant Nelson then falsely claimed to Farm Bureau Insurance that he had lost 40 cattle due to theft.

24. It was further part of the scheme that, without disclosing that the FSA had first lien on all of his chattel, defendant Nelson filed four loss claims to Farm Bureau Insurance, resulting in a loss of $31,320, and the proceeds were not remitted to the FSA as was required under the terms of the loans.

25. It was further part of the scheme that defendant Nelson ceased making repayments on his FSA loans as of January 12, 2015. His outstanding principal balance is $138,452.79, plus applicable interest and penalties. Defendant Nelson filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on June 25, 2015.”

View attachment 195759
So no, he didn’t just “break a rule on a loan.”

I wonder why he wasn’t charged with insurance fraud? Perhaps he was charged and the charges were dropped as part of plea bargain. Regardless, he should have never been allowed to be in the cattle business again.

Has it been mentioned if LE has checked if all the Diemel cattle are alive and accounted for? That is to say - have they reported back on the potential motive? There was not time to do much cover up there. I am wondering too if there were bullet holes in the truck upholstery and if they did (or could) test JN for powder burns. Even with LE on the case so quickly it is likely all they have to look for are teeth and bone fragments at that cow incinerator. My heart breaks for Diemel families.

RSBM for focus

What about the fact that they got to the farm at 9:26 am and spoke to one of their employees around 11:00 am and were told things were fine at that point? I don’t know that he could claim he found the truck that way when clearly there is LE knowledge that he was with them from about 9:30 until at least 11:00 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998