CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It strikes me as odd for him to say he wouldn’t press charges if Barbara was returned. As if she is a stolen car.

He has no authority to say that. It wouldn’t be his decision and it wouldn’t even be Barbara’s. If she had been kidnapped and police knew who it was, they’re being prosecuted.

It’s as if he suspects someone particular or
It’s like something went bad during some kind of meeting at that location, they took BT but didn’t drop her back off and that’s when he calls and reports her missing.

I think that road looks very scary for a woman to be seen all alone by the highway.
Walking on the dirt road leading to the rock formation she would be walking alone.. There was a truck and 5th wheel trailer on the other side of the road. People driving by would have no idea who was in the trailer.. jmho

It strikes me as odd for him to say he wouldn’t press charges if Barbara was returned. As if she is a stolen car.

He has no authority to say that. It wouldn’t be his decision and it wouldn’t even be Barbara’s. If she had been kidnapped and police knew who it was, they’re being prosecuted.
I think the reason he said that was to give a message to anyone who may have abducted her that there would not be consequences if they would just return her safely.

Probably just a desperate attempt to get her back.

I'm sure he wasn't thinking of whether or not he had the authority or what the proper procedure was in pressing charges.
It was just an appeal to whoever he thought may have taken her.

That was also just a few days after she went missing. We have no idea how he feels now. Maybe he is in denial, maybe he has lost hope, or maybe he still believes someone abducted her and she is alive. Imo

I doubt it, if they left the house at 8:15 that morning.
I would think LE would have included that information, if they had taken a plane ride that morning. Imo
BBM

Good point.
Although I don't think she was abducted, I also doubt she became lost and disoriented in the desert.
Baffling.

I was so wrong about Amanda Berry. I hadn't heard about the other two girls, but I really thought she was dead.
Too much time had passed.
So good to be wrong !

Hoping I'm wrong about Barbara and for some reason she fled and is in hiding from literally everyone.
It's happened before.

JMO

The silence from R.T. and Barbara's son Matt is really deafening.

Whenever I read the facts on a case here at Websleuths, I always try to put myself in the shoes of the family member(s) who are looking for a missing loved one. I know I would be utilizing any and all available resources to help me find the person I was trying to find! Nothing would stop me.

Could R.T. have stopped doing interviews and/or making appeals because of a fear of being ripped apart by the public? Did a lawyer suggest he stop talking due to showing 'deception' on the polygraph?

Why not appoint a spokesperson (a trusted friend or family member) to field inquiries or speak on his/their behalf?

Why is Barb's son not using his voice to gain msm traction in any places other than social media? Call Dateline, Inside Edition... anyone to get his mom's face and name out there!!

@dbdb11 I cannot imagine how frustrated and helpless you and your family must feel right now being so far away without any information being made available from the only two people readily in a position to help spread the word about Barbara's disappearance!

Again...JMO
Emphasis mine

Re. the bolded portion : Dateline's FB page is pretty good about getting recent and even cold cases out there.

Maybe her relatives are afraid of making a bad situation even worse ?
Like angering the wrong people ?

*Thinking out loud.*

JMO

Whenever I read the facts on a case here at Websleuths, I always try to put myself in the shoes of the family member(s) who are looking for a missing loved one. I know I would be utilizing any and all available resources to help me find the person I was trying to find! Nothing would stop me.

Could R.T. have stopped doing interviews and/or making appeals because of a fear of being ripped apart by the public? Did a lawyer suggest he stop talking due to showing 'deception' on the polygraph?

Why not appoint a spokesperson (a trusted friend or family member) to field inquiries or speak on his/their behalf?

Why is Barb's son not using his voice to gain msm traction in any places other than social media? Call Dateline, Inside Edition... anyone to get his mom's face and name out there!!

@dbdb11 I cannot imagine how frustrated and helpless you and your family must feel right now being so far away without any information being made available from the only two people readily in a position to help spread the word about Barbara's disappearance!

Again...JMO
Just wanted to say that I agree with this post 100%. I would think her son could have even gone to his local tv stations and thanked SAR and encouraged others to keep on searching..ANYTHING to get his Mom's name out there and figure out where she is. MOO

A family member has posted elsewhere that Barbara's son will be appearing on a TV channel today or tomorrow - depending on your time zone - but Wednesday July 31 anyway. No mention of who or where, but maybe keep a look out for something.

Mystery lingers around woman's disappearance

This is a link to a 2007 article about ANOTHER missing hiker-this one in Montana. Her circumstances are eerily similar and I wonder if that event was used as inspiration for THIS event. Her first name is Barbara too! Here is an excerpt from that article:

The pair then enjoyed the mountain views for maybe a half-hour or 40 minutes before deciding to head back down the hill.

Ramaker said Barbara was only about 20 or 30 feet away when he turned to take one more look at the scenery. It was a short look - maybe 45 seconds, maybe a minute. When he turned around, Barbara was gone. It was the last time he saw her, he'd tell investigators later.

"This is really a tough one for me," Johnson said. "It's outside of my scope of experience. I haven't been able to find anyone else who's had a similar experience. We're talking about a minute and then you look back and she's gone."

Thank you to the person who fixed my 'link.'

I've never heard of her but the details of her disappearance are chilling.

A family member has posted elsewhere that Barbara's son will be appearing on a TV channel today or tomorrow - depending on your time zone - but Wednesday July 31 anyway. No mention of who or where, but maybe keep a look out for something.
We heard the same thing last week.
Is this a different family member or the same as before?
Was it posted here?
I know there was some mention of it, so maybe it's taken a while to get the interview.
After all, the media has not given this case much attention. Imo

Last edited:
OTOH, if he thought she was in Vegas, why not try to organize at least a few missing person posters in Vegas? I feel he could have used his 5 minutes on InsideEdition to do that.
I've said before that it's very possible that the suggestion that she had been taken to Las Vegas came from the reporter doing the interview, and that Robert simply agreed that it was possible.
Which isn't the same as "thinking she's in Vegas".
He hasn't organised posters in Vegas because he has no particular reason to think that she's there, that's how I see it.

We heard the same thing last week.
Is this a different family member or the same as before?
Was it posted here?
I know there was some mention of it, so maybe it's taken a while to get the interview.
After all, the media has not given this case much attention. Imo

Ita.^^^

I'd be interested in what he has to say !

He has a daughter who spoke on MSM after BT's disappearance saying that BT must have been abducted like her dad said, because that's the only thing that makes sense. The MSM link to the video is on the 1st thread.

Subsequently, she said her lawyer advised her to not allow her father to visit her at her house. That was also in MSM article upthread. That's all I've seen about any children and what has been heard from them (other than some SM / FB speculation which is not allowed here on WS). IMO
I must have missed that. Can you give the link please.

Based on other cases I've followed involving the SBCSO, I don't expect to hear anything unless information leads them to another search area, an arrest is made, or remains are located. They are as tight-lipped as they come. MOO

Good to see you, Hatfield. Just FYI - the media thread is not linked in post #1 as you may expect to see. We do have one, though:

CA - AZ, Barbara Thomas,69,Timelind, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

Per our VI, she was seen on the neighbor's surveillance camera at 8:15 a.m. on the day she disappeared. MOO
Oh, ok thanks.
I knew the RV was seen leaving at that time, but I did not realize Barbara herself was seen on camera leaving the house.

JMO

Again...JMO

BBM:

I don't think it's so much of a case of BT's son being silent as it is a case of him directing his megaphone toward the wrong arena.

BT's son may very well believe that SM is the best way for him to get the word out about his mom's disappearance quickly. SM is a quick and easy way to communicate to a large audience. The fact that one tends to get a lot of immediate feedback probably reinforces the perception that it's an effective tool, which it can be sometimes when it's used in an organized, controlled and discerning manner.

It doesn't sound like it's proving terribly helpful here.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads