MISTRIAL AZ - Isabel Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012, found deceased in 2017* *Arrest* #27

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Tucson police search for missing 6-year-old girl

April 21, 2012

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - Tucson police are searching for a 6-year-old girl who went missing from her home on the city's east side.

Isabel Mercedes Celis was last seen late Friday and discovered to be missing at about 8 a.m. Saturday.

Sgt. Maria Hawke says police are searching the area around East Broadway Boulevard and Craycroft Road using street patrols, canines, detectives and a helicopter.

She's described as just under 4-feet-tall and weighing 44 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes.

Tucson police say Isabel Celis' remains found

March 31, 2017

Tucson police said Friday that the remains of 6-year-old Isabel Celis, who was reported missing in 2012, were found earlier this month.

Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus said Friday that Isabel's remains have been found, though he would not offer details about where investigators located the remains or what prompted detectives to search in that area.

Magnus said the remains were found in "rural Pima County" and were sent to Bode Cellmark Forensics in Virginia where DNA evidence was confirmed.

[...]

"This is not an ending we would have hoped for, but this is not the end to the case," Magnus said.

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20
Thread #21
Thread #22
Thread #23
Thread #24

Thread #25
Thread #26
Thread #27

Media/Timeline Thread: AZ - Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012 Media & Doc Dump (No Discussion)

Scanner Threads:
Scanner Thread 1
Scanner Thread 2
Scanner Thread 3
Scanner Thread 4

REMEMBER: Anything posted in the scanner thread must stay in the scanner thread.

Find Isabel Celis Facebook Page: Find Isabel Celis
New website for Isabel Celis: http://bringisahome.com/Thread #5

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, it’s unlikely, unfortunately, that Isabel and Maribel are the only victims of CC. I hope LE are doing a thorough investigation of his history. How many other poor parents are still waiting for news about what happened to their child? It’s a horrible thought.

Clements pleaded not guilty to killing two Arizona girls who went missing years ago but apart from the allegations and evidence that's been reported in the newspapers, no one actually saw Christopher with Isa or Maribel so there are no eye witnesses as far as we know. It isn't clear whether any of the clothing or the accessories the girls were wearing has ever been found either.

Police say Clements phone records place him in the area where the girls’ bodies were found but wouldn't he know better and not take it with him if he went there to commit a crime?

Stark claims there were ashes found in her yard but I doubt they belong to Isabelle because her remains were hidden and intact when they were discovered and only a portion was sent to the lab.

The Latest: Suspect pleads not guilty Arizona girls' deaths

Last edited:
TIMELINE OF CASE
  • 1993: Christopher Clements accused of molesting a very young child. He was never charged.
  • JUNE 1998: Clements convicted of first-degree sexual abuse in Oregon.
  • 2002: Clements convicted of identity theft and assault in Washington.
  • DECEMBER 2006: Clements convicted of failure to register as a sex offender in Florida.
  • SEPTEMBER 2007: Clements convicted of failure to register as a sex offender in Oregon.
  • OCTOBER 2007: Clements arrested on charge of false reporting in Pima County.
  • DECEMBER 2011: Clements registers as a sex offender for home in 1900 block of South Craycroft Road.
  • MARCH 2012: Clements registers as a sex offender for home in 5800 block of East Elida Street.
  • APRIL 2012: Isabel Celis' family calls 911 after she went missing from their home.
  • APRIL 2013: Clements arrested on charge of living too close to a school.
  • JUNE 2014: Maribel Gonzales disappears while walking to visit a friend. Her body is found days later near North Trico and West Avra Valley roads in rural Pima County.
  • OCTOBER 2015: Clements arrested on pimping and child abuse charges in Tucson.
  • JUNE 2016: Clements arrested on burglary charges in Tucson.
  • FEBRUARY 2017: Someone contacts FBI alleging Clements has information about Isabel.
  • MARCH 2017: Clements leads federal agents to human remains near North Trico and West Avra Valley roads in rural Pima County. DNA testing reveals the remains belong to Isabel Celis.
  • SEPT. 15, 2018: Authorities announce 22-count indictment against Christopher Clements in deaths of Isabel and Maribel.
  • SEPT. 18, 2018: Clements gets into fight with two inmates at the Maricopa County Jail.
  • SEPT. 23, 2018: Clements extradited to Pima County to face charges.
  • SEPT. 24, 2018: Clements enters plea of not guilty.
Murder suspect Christopher Clements had multiple run-ins with Tucson police

According to this report, Clements was forced to give LE a sample of his DNA after he led them to Isa’s remains because MG’s remains were found nearby and they had no suspects.

The civilian who found MG’s body supposedly saw a silver truck parked near the crime scene for a week before she discovered her remains under two tires.

LE said the DNA found on MG’s remains was collected during the autopsy but never tested until they obtained a sample of Clements DNA.

Pinal County Sherriff asked Clements if he was responsible for Maribel’s death:

Investigator: Have you seen Maribel Gonzalez before?

Clements: Maybe I have, Maybe I haven’t.

Investigator: Did you have anything to do with her murder?

Clements: No! (LE claim that Clements asked them if his DNA was found)

Clements hinted that he knew more than he was willing to tell detectives saying “There’s a story that I know, and is there a correlation? Well somewhat I guess you can say with what I’ve helped TPD with. But that would cost you guys a lot more than you’re willing to pay.”

Allegedly, when detectives told Clements they weren’t leaving without a sample of his DNA, he refused and was prepared to fight but because the officers had a search warrant, they warned him that he could either give them a swab as a “gentleman” or “in the chair with the spit mask strapped to it”. He finally agreed to give them a DNA sample and asked for a cigarette in return.

Clements Official Arrest Report for pandering and child abuse says he was not fingerprinted so I wonder whether they have his fingerprints on file.

New revealing interview with alleged killer of Isabel Celis and Maribel Gonzales released

Stark claims there were ashes found in her yard but I doubt they belong to Isabelle because her remains were hidden and intact when they were discovered and only a portion was sent to the lab.

I believe CC may have burned/buried some of Isa's possessions in Stark's yard but not likely her body.

Detective reports say CCs phone locked onto a cell tower near the Celis house the day Isabel disappeared, and soon after locked onto a cell tower near the Avra Valley site where her remains were found many years later. There's no evidence he went back to Stark's home before burying Isa's body.

I disagree that Isa's remains were hidden and intact when they were discovered. Reportedly, it took 8+ months for the human fragments recovered to be positively identified as those belonging to Isa.

After CC led investigators to site where he buried Isa, they only found part of a pelvis and several skull bones that are a darker color than the rest of the body.

Another report mentioned an upper jawbone and six teeth, that were compared to Celis’ dental records. While the comparison didn’t produce a match, it showed that the person “cannot be excluded” as Celis, the report shows.

Pathologists and forensic anthropologists and Tucson police employees even went back to the scene searching on their hands and knees trying to recover more evidence.

Autopsy confirms death of Isabel Celis was homicide

I believe CC may have burned/buried some of Isa's possessions in Stark's yard but not likely her body.

Detective reports say CCs phone locked onto a cell tower near the Celis house the day Isabel disappeared, and soon after locked onto a cell tower near the Avra Valley site where her remains were found many years later. There's no evidence he went back to Stark's home before burying Isa's body.

I disagree that Isa's remains were hidden and intact when they were discovered. Reportedly, it took 8+ months for the human fragments recovered to be positively identified as those belonging to Isa.

After CC led investigators to site where he buried Isa, they only found part of a pelvis and several skull bones that are a darker color than the rest of the body.

Another report mentioned an upper jawbone and six teeth, that were compared to Celis’ dental records. While the comparison didn’t produce a match, it showed that the person “cannot be excluded” as Celis, the report shows.

Pathologists and forensic anthropologists and Tucson police employees even went back to the scene searching on their hands and knees trying to recover more evidence.

Autopsy confirms death of Isabel Celis was homicide

Thank you for posting the AR. I haven't been able to find one I can read.

Sure LE claim that CC's phone locked onto a cell tower near the Celis house the day Isabel disappeared, and soon after locked onto a cell tower near the Avra Valley site where her remains were found many years later but why would he take his phone near the Celis's house and to the area where he supposedly dumped the bodies? Why wouldn't he leave his phone at home? He knows LE can subpoena his telephone records.

I don't know the route a person would need to take to get from Isabel's home to the spot where her remains were and how long it would take to get there, but it's strange that the car CC was driving at the time was never caught on any street cameras the night she disappeared and no one saw him or Isabel.

The items Stark reportedly found hidden in her yard was a purple sweatshirt and a bag of some kind that had a piece of paper with Isabel's middle name misspelt on it. This sweatshirt and the ashes have not been identified and Isa didn't wear a purple sweatshirt to bed. If Isabel wrote her middle name on the paper, why was it misspelt? What kind of bag is it and where did it come from? These items aren't significant imo.

Thank you for posting the AR. I haven't been able to find one I can read.

Sure LE claim that CC's phone locked onto a cell tower near the Celis house the day Isabel disappeared, and soon after locked onto a cell tower near the Avra Valley site where her remains were found many years later but why would he take his phone near the Celis's house and to the area where he supposedly dumped the bodies? Why wouldn't he leave his phone at home? He knows LE can subpoena his telephone records.

I don't know the route a person would need to take to get from Isabel's home to the spot where her remains were and how long it would take to get there, but it's strange that the car CC was driving at the time was never caught on any street cameras the night she disappeared and no one saw him or Isabel.

The items Stark reportedly found hidden in her yard was a purple sweatshirt and a bag of some kind that had a piece of paper with Isabel's middle name misspelt on it. This sweatshirt and the ashes have not been identified and Isa didn't wear a purple sweatshirt to bed. If Isabel wrote her middle name on the paper, why was it misspelt? What kind of bag is it and where did it come from? These items aren't significant imo.

I don't think CC was smart enough about carry his phone to the crime and burial location because he replaced his phone the very next day! I don't think he was counting on LE being able to obtain his phone records even though he destroyed the devices themselves.

Also Tucson News Now uploaded Isa's 10 page AR to Scribd at link below.

Isabel Celis Autopsy Report

When Isabel went missing, the street cameras were said to only take pictures of license plates at intersections. A few local businesses provided security camera footage. From Isabel's home to where her remains were found is approx. 32 miles and a 47 minute drive via I-10. There had to be more camera footage along the way through Tucson before I-10 or Frontage Road along the highway. There's just so many different routes he could have taken to get there. jmo

When Isabel went missing, the street cameras were said to only take pictures of license plates at intersections. A few local businesses provided security camera footage. From Isabel's home to where her remains were found is approx. 32 miles and a 47 minute drive via I-10. There had to be more camera footage along the way through Tucson before I-10 or Frontage Road along the highway. There's just so many different routes he could have taken to get there. jmo
Unfortunately, time is not our friend here. 5 years too late to find surveillance, and why I believe CC's cell phone activity will be critical evidence. MOO

if he is an RSO he should have been housed in a protective custody pod. its a liability issue to "oopsie" him into gen pop. and the CO's would need to intervene if they witnessed an inmate being assaulted. i was a CO for almost 8 years and even if we did not care for an inmate i never once saw a CO stand by and let inmates "get their licks in", although i am sure it happens. that being said, if an inmate was in a fight and looks bad, they will be sent to court anyways if it is their court date.

suicidal inmates are housed in the safety cell and observed until a time that they are deemed to no longer be suicidal by mental health.

Clements registered as a sex offender 1 month before Isabel disappeared. He was out on bail & idk if there were any conditions he had to comply with upon release. He was able to afford bail. None of the reports I read throughout the day say a motion was filed to deny Clements bail set at $2 million.

He failed to register as a sex offender several times and I wonder if he even has a Probation Officer he has to report to when he is free.

Just recently LE obtained a search warrant for a sample of Clements DNA after he led them to IC’s remains. There is alot of registered sex offenders in Arizona and I gave up trying to find Clements name listed in 2 criminal databases.

I can’t believe the guards are allowing him to be beaten. I don’t believe he is receiving the protection and mental health care every prisoner is entitled to. Several media reports said Clements was beaten before his latest court appearance and it’s up to his lawyer to do whatever it takes to stop it from happening again. Now this incident may give Clements an opportunity to file charges and lawsuit against the guards.

Eric Kessler, Clements’ lead defense attorney, released the following statement in response to the information Derrick Brady discussed with the reporter.

The information contained in your email is new to the defense team. The prosecutor has not disclosed any such investigations, nor has the prosecution disclosed that inmate Derrick Brady, who admitted to assaulting Mr. Clements before being sentenced to the Department of Corrections until at least 2030, has information related to Mr. Clements or is otherwise cooperating with any law enforcement agency, including the FBI. This type of information is required to be disclosed to the defense in compliance with Mr. Clements' Constitutional rights and protections. It would be improper for the defense to comment upon information that as yet has not been disclosed to the defense by the prosecutor for independent analysis and verification.

Celis, Gonzalez murder suspect may have more victims

Unfortunately, time is not our friend here. 5 years too late to find surveillance, and why I believe CC's cell phone activity will be critical evidence. MOO

When Clements and Stark were charged & arrested for burglary, the phone records proved it was them. I wonder if Melisssa Stark is allowed to contact Clements in jail?

When Clements and Stark were charged & arrested for burglary, the phone records proved it was them. I wonder if Melisssa Stark is allowed to contact Clements in jail?

MS has had her own trouble with the law. If she's incarcerated, I don't believe they can communicate. If not - maybe. They allegedly share a child together.

MOO

MS has had her own trouble with the law. If she's incarcerated, I don't believe they can communicate. If not - maybe. They allegedly share a child together.

MOO

If Melissa Stark was in jail, it would have been announced in the News.

Because Stark is a key witness in this case, I don’t think she’s allowed to contact Clements and vice versa. Some of the reports didn’t identify the person who told the FBI Clements had information on Isabel Celis. Hardly any information about Melissa has been released to the public yet so much is going on in her life. I don't think she's given an interview to anyone.

When she and Christopher were arrested and charged with child abuse etc. they each gave the Officer a different home address. Melissa said they’ve been together for 3 or 4 years. Did Melissa and Christopher meet before or after Isabel disappeared? They have 1 son. I haven’t seen anything about custody mentioned in the reports. I assume their child lives with his mother and that is fine with Christopher Clements. I wonder if Clements owes Stark money for child support?

Clements and Melissa Stark also had run-ins with police as victims of theft.

Murder suspect Christopher Clements had multiple run-ins with Tucson police

Clements registered as a sex offender 1 month before Isabel disappeared. He was out on bail & idk if there were any conditions he had to comply with upon release. He was able to afford bail. None of the reports I read throughout the day say a motion was filed to deny Clements bail set at $2 million.

He failed to register as a sex offender several times and I wonder if he even has a Probation Officer he has to report to when he is free.

Just recently LE obtained a search warrant for a sample of Clements DNA after he led them to IC’s remains. There is alot of registered sex offenders in Arizona and I gave up trying to find Clements name listed in 2 criminal databases.

I can’t believe the guards are allowing him to be beaten. I don’t believe he is receiving the protection and mental health care every prisoner is entitled to. Several media reports said Clements was beaten before his latest court appearance and it’s up to his lawyer to do whatever it takes to stop it from happening again. Now this incident may give Clements an opportunity to file charges and lawsuit against the guards.

Eric Kessler, Clements’ lead defense attorney, released the following statement in response to the information Derrick Brady discussed with the reporter.

The information contained in your email is new to the defense team. The prosecutor has not disclosed any such investigations, nor has the prosecution disclosed that inmate Derrick Brady, who admitted to assaulting Mr. Clements before being sentenced to the Department of Corrections until at least 2030, has information related to Mr. Clements or is otherwise cooperating with any law enforcement agency, including the FBI. This type of information is required to be disclosed to the defense in compliance with Mr. Clements' Constitutional rights and protections. It would be improper for the defense to comment upon information that as yet has not been disclosed to the defense by the prosecutor for independent analysis and verification.

Celis, Gonzalez murder suspect may have more victims

its up to custodial staff to ensure he is safe. this is creating a liability. they need to do everything above board so he gets the sentence he deserves.

even if he failed to register, when an inmate is processed into jail, they are ran on CLETS and if he is an RSO it will come up. it will say whether he is in compliance or not. it will show in state and out of state warrants and their DL info as well as whether they are on probation or parole.

its up to custodial staff to ensure he is safe. this is creating a liability. they need to do everything above board so he gets the sentence he deserves.

even if he failed to register, when an inmate is processed into jail, they are ran on CLETS and if he is an RSO it will come up. it will say whether he is in compliance or not. it will show in state and out of state warrants and their DL info as well as whether they are on probation or parole.

What needs to be done to prevent this from happening again? Who gets involved?

Do you think the homes and yards of the homes Clements occupied when these girls went missing will be searched?

Did MS tell Christopher she was contacting the FBI?

I apologize for calling Clements a serial killer because he hasn’t been found guilty yet.

Just finished reading a request for DNA for CC 8/15/17. TPD went to Phoenix with a search warrant for a DNA swab. Now that I've read it again, it reminded me of why the match to Maribel was only 1 in 8600,

I admire the fact that you were a C.O. Handling someone like CC these officers went above and beyond. He's hardened and extremely weird. Answer a question with a question type guy & street hard wanting a cig and twisting it after arguing he wasn't going to give DNA to give me a cig and I'll give it. Frustrating to read how he plays. Glad someone has patients to deal with criminals.

Clements Interview Transcript - PCSD Maricopa County Jail 8-15-17 (00626285-3xCDD05) | Violence

Also looked on AZ Supreme Court site this morning and see there's the burglary court dates this month. Didn't find her in jail in Pima or Maricopa.

Do you think the homes and yards of the homes Clements occupied when these girls went missing will be searched?

Did MS tell Christopher she was contacting the FBI?

I apologize for calling Clements a serial killer because he hasn’t been found guilty yet.

If I recall correctly - MS and CC corroborated about their stories and what info to give to FBI/LE. They also talked in "code."

You really have to understand CC's communication style and how twisted he is. He traded Isabel's location with investigators in exchange for dropping a burglary charge. He really thinks he's his own Mr. Teflon!

MOO

I don't think CC was smart enough about carry his phone to the crime and burial location because he replaced his phone the very next day! I don't think he was counting on LE being able to obtain his phone records even though he destroyed the devices themselves.

Also Tucson News Now uploaded Isa's 10 page AR to Scribd at link below.

Isabel Celis Autopsy Report

Exactly.

Charles Merritt made the same mistakes when his cell phone data placed him at the McStay home, and in the area of the desert where they were finally located almost four years later.

Both of these monsters have one common denominator. Imo, Both were arrogant, and were sure they wouldn't ever be linked to the murders.

CC was probably even more cocky, and arrogant because he knew he had gotten away with many crimes, and never was caught for all he has done.

These kind of murderers usually make stupid mistakes so it's not surprising CC made blunders as well. By then he thought he was invincible.

Even though only snippets of the 39 page motion answer by the DA to CCs lawyer has been released I believe there is much more damaging evidence against him than just what was revealed by the press in their summary.

What I dont understand is why they didnt immediately test the commingled DNA that was consistent with MG, and CC. If it is linked to him now it most surely would have back in 2014. Yet it seems they didnt even ask the feds or other states if his DNA was on file.

It's hard to believe the feds nor other states he was a sex offender in didnt already have his DNA profile especially in Florida who is tough on sex predators, and on violent crime in general.

So why not investigate his history when interviewing him the first time to see of other states had his profile? That way he could have been ruled out or ruled IN years ago. Especially since they knew they had commingled DNA of the victim, and suspect.

How did they identify his DNA was found in the burglarized homes if they didnt already have his DNA profile?

Jmho

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie