CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain why RT would think that the best hiding place for the keys to his new 5th wheel and truck would be under a rock and not in his pocket or backpack? If other vehicles were parked in the area, I would be afraid that someone would see me hiding them. They planned going for a walk together and coming back together.

Well, I have to respectfully disagree. There is no proof of 7 hours unaccounted for being highly highly unlikely, no proof that RT has time stamped photos, and no proof that there is a digital trace of anything. Neither RT, LE or MSM have stated any of these things. JMO
That’s exactly right. WE have no proof. But we don’t know what LE has. That’s the point here. And many seem to veer towards the belief they don’t know their movements. I think if that were the case he would be a POI by now. But that’s MY speculating.

Remember, they searched for 9 days. Would they really do that if RT had turned off his GPS and all the ways your phone is tracking you (even when switched off)? Perhaps. But again, doing those things would make him a POI at least, if not a suspect.

I need to say that I was one of the people who scoffed, early on, at the mountain lion theory. And that started to bother me, as this is such a strange and unusual case, it might have a strange answer. I said the likelihood of a mountain lion was really small because of water.

But at this point, who's to do the searching? LE isn't going to retrace the steps of every missing person over two states. This is usually organized by family and friends.

Really agree with, and enjoy your posts, 10-of-Rods,

Was also doing research on mountain lions, and am almost convinced it could have been the reason for BBolick's disappearance.
Was also considering it for this "into thin air" BThomas scenario.

Either of these women could have crouched down to pick something up on the ground.
Park Rangers have always said to me, "oh yeah, we look like prey to the puma", when a human crouches down.

YES, mountain lions hunt during the day.
YES, mountain lions stalk and pounce very silently, and can kill quickly with a single bite to the neck. That method is in their DNA.

Although very uncommon, here's some tips to surviving an attack and some interesting quotes about mountain lion behavior:
The videos are amazing.
The anecdotal stories (esp. the one about the group in the cave) will send chills along your spine.

Understanding Mountain Lions When Hiking (2019) - HikingGuy.com

Trail Safety for Mountain Lion Encounters and Attacks

Mountain Lion Cougar, Panther or Puma - DesertUSA

This isn’t likely but it’s in the realm of possibilities - it could have been a hit and run with her going through the windshield beer container landing in the car. I’m not sure how well traveled that area is but I guess they could veer off somewhere and leave her. Not likely, just another theory to add to the fray.

I have this case stuck in my head about a nurse that hits a homeless man and drives home with him stuck in the windshield. She parks in her garage and waits two or three days for him to die. She would go out to the garage periodically and apologize to him.

This was my first thought (hit and run by a distracted driver that panicked) when hearing about this case and it was speculated she could have crossed a street/ highway. On impact a body could really be thrown far (I believe). I would think tire slide marks would stand out and most likely some sort of car debris left behind. I don’t know.

I'm not buying the mountain lion theory.I don't want to be gory but you would see signs as their would likely be parts left.

Right, but wasn't the Jaryd Atadaro disappearance considered possibly due to a mountain lion? There wasn't blood, but there was some sort of drag mark if I recall. I remember the officials talking about that as a possibility, but I also know people have their doubts to this day.

This isn’t likely but it’s in the realm of possibilities - it could have been a hit and run with her going through the windshield beer container landing in the car. I’m not sure how well traveled that area is but I guess they could veer off somewhere and leave her. Not likely, just another theory to add to the fray.

I have this case stuck in my head about a nurse that hits a homeless man and drives home with him stuck in the windshield. She parks in her garage and waits two or three days for him to die. She would go out to the garage periodically and apologize to him.

I remember this. It reminded me that anything is possible, really. I wonder if they looked for glass on the highway during the search for Barbara.

Can someone explain why RT would think that the best hiding place for the keys to his new 5th wheel and truck would be under a rock and not in his pocket or backpack? If other vehicles were parked in the area, I would be afraid that someone would see me hiding them. They planned going for a walk together and coming back together.

I'm under the impression no one else was around when they parked (?)

But, you know: it IS telling, if true, as to their habits.

Only reason to do this is if it's common for one or the other to do their own thing....& be able to access the RV, car, etc. as they need.

Because, yeah: they are going for a little jaunt together...right? Why not just have someone, Bt or RT have the keys...?

It suggests it's common for them to not be together when one or the other wishes to return to their RV, camp spot/car, etc.

Do we know if he has any history at all of domestic violence ? Someone can just push another person enough that they can hit their head on a rock or something. Just thinking, that's all.
When someone goes missing without explanation, I would think this type of foul play scenario is considered. If someone is attacked in a car/RV/home the evidence would be found. In the desert, unlikely. If BT met with foul play in the desert by anyone's hand (not necessarily the husband), it's likely the case will never be resolved given the terrain and expanse. I know that doesn't sound very hopeful, but it's truly JMO

Amateur opinion and speculation

[QUOTE="DancingMuse, post: 15289909, member: 222926"doing research on mountain lions, and am almost convinced it could have been the reason for BBolick's disappearance.
Respectfully snipped for focus. This is an interesting theory. Wouldn't there be some sign of an attack?[/QUOTE]

Excellent question Rosefromangels.
Not necessarily.
Pumas are super quick: stalk silently -> pounce -> bite-to-neck -> drag victim under cover of brush.

The reason? They are total predators. Apex. They don't like to share their meal with any other creatures. They hide the carcass immediately. They don't want birds or competition from other mammals to get their prey too.

I don't know what's happened to this quote, so trying to clean it up myself.
This response from DancingMuse:
Excellent question Rosefromangels.
Not necessarily.
Pumas are super quick: stalk silently -> pounce -> bite-to-neck -> drag victim under cover of brush.
The reason? They are total predators. Apex. They don't like to share their meal with any other creatures. They hide the carcass immediately. They don't want birds or competition from other mammals to get their prey too.[/QUOTE]

Roses response:
Yikes....
Another reason I have no intention of ever hiking in the desert. Crossed.off.the.list.

It's not just you ;)

On another note: a mountain lion attack - at noon? Hmmm. Near roads?

I have friends who also have had near death experiences with said kitties. Bad kitty.

It's at night though, or evening. Apparently, you don't want them above you on a steep rocky cliff growling at you....(editing to add: they were biologists: tracking disease in, I think big horn sheep, anyway, here they are with this dead animal & then kitty appears above them: they were NOT invited to dinner - they pretty much soiled their pants.)

Still on fence @ it all.

Cheers, BT. Hope I'm in a bikini at 69 walking in wild nature with a beer in my hand! Hope she's found, and soon

JMO
Exactly. We do have mountain lions throughout CA, but mountain lions hunt in the evening, not in midday. Also, I researched documented mountain lion attacks - here are the stats. You can all decide for yourselves if you think this is a strong possibility. I vote no.
Verified Mountain Lion-Human Attacks (1986-2014)

Exactly. We do have mountain lions throughout CA, but mountain lions hunt in the evening, not in midday. Also, I researched documented mountain lion attacks - here are the stats. You can all decide for yourselves if you think this is a strong possibility. I vote no.
Verified Mountain Lion-Human Attacks (1986-2014)
I defer to those of you "in the know" on this issue of Mountain Lions and desert activity. Sounds like another nightmare to add to my nightmare list.

However, I will say that I know there has been a lot of unusual Mountain Lion activity in the past year in general. Some has to do with weather they suspect, as well as humans moving in to their territory. So who knows.

The Bee with The Healing Center Needles.
Paid Partnership
·
#KaiserSpringsSearchandRescue

Wednesday (7/31) — On Late Tuesday (7/30) afternoon, the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office received a call from a 63-year-old male reporting that his 60-year-old female friend had become separated from him while hiking near Kaiser Springs and he was unable to locate her. They had gone hiking down the wash and at some point ran out of water. He began to have symptoms of heat exhaustion and took cover under a tree while she headed back towards their vehicle to get water. After some time had passed and she had not returned, he made his way back to the vehicle and was unable to locate her. Due to the remoteness of this area, he was unable to make a call out for help on his cell phone and flagged down a passing vehicle requesting them to call for help.
More at link

News brought to you by The Healing Center
#TheBeeTHC | www.thebee.news
~Photo Credit MCSO Search and Rescue ~

I can't help but draw a parallel between this successful rescue and the search for Barbara.

Note; SAR was able to locate and follow this woman's tracks, which led to her rescue.

I defer to those of you "in the know" on this issue of Mountain Lions and desert activity. Sounds like another nightmare to add to my nightmare list.

However, I will say that I know there has been a lot of unusual Mountain Lion activity in the past year in general. Some has to do with weather they suspect, as well as humans moving in to their territory. So who knows.

Another link for you: List of fatal cougar attacks in North America - Wikipedia

ETA one more:
Mountain lions not as dangerous as humans think ‹ Pepperdine Graphic

Last one:
Understanding Mountain Lions When Hiking (2019) - HikingGuy.com

When someone goes missing without explanation, I would think this type of foul play scenario is considered. If someone is attacked in a car/RV/home the evidence would be found. In the desert, unlikely. If BT met with foul play in the desert by anyone's hand (not necessarily the husband), it's likely the case will never be resolved given the terrain and expanse. I know that doesn't sound very hopeful, but it's truly JMO

It’s possible a body won’t be found, but other important evidentiary items would be. Info about their relationship from close friends, neighbors, relatives that are involved in their lives, motives re. finances, possibly even clues left by the victim herself if she felt threatened, behavior of the spouse afterwards (new gf? Spending lots of money? Life insurance?).

You don’t need a body to know there has been foul play, and many cases are won of circumstantial evidence, even if prosecutors prefer to have the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member