GUILTY South Africa - Gill Packham, 57, murdered, Cape Town, 22 February, 2018 *arrest*

This isn't even close to what this despicable creature deserves.

I agree, getting parole half way through can make a nonsense of some of the terms. Thinking back to OP, he will be out before we know it (7 July 2023) and that sentence too seemed not to fit the crime but it is what I have come to expect from SA trials.

Whilst 10 or 11 years is a long time to be locked up, it doesn’t seem at all adequate considering all the facts presented at trial. Does anyone know at which prison he will serve his sentence?

22 Years direct imprisonment

Count 1: Murder - 18 years

Count 2: Defeating the ends of justice - 4 years of which 2 are suspended.
He was sentenced to 20 years on count one (murder) and 4 years on count two (attempt to defeat the course of justice), 2 of the 4 years to run concurrently.

tweet:

Jenna Etheridge (@JennaEtheridge) | Twitter
#Packham Steyn said 20 years is appropriate for Gill's murder. She hands down a 4-year term for defeating the ends of justice, of which 2 years are suspended. Rob thus gets 22 years. Jason Rohde, who faced same charges, got 20 years. @TeamNews24

He was sentenced to 20 years on count one (murder) and 4 years on count two (attempt to defeat the course of justice), 2 of the 4 years to run concurrently.

tweet:

Jenna Etheridge (@JennaEtheridge) | Twitter
#Packham Steyn said 20 years is appropriate for Gill's murder. She hands down a 4-year term for defeating the ends of justice, of which 2 years are suspended. Rob thus gets 22 years. Jason Rohde, who faced same charges, got 20 years. @TeamNews24

Thanks for that. I'm not sure where the 18 came from.

Whilst 10 or 11 years is a long time to be locked up, it doesn’t seem at all adequate considering all the facts presented at trial. Does anyone know at which prison he will serve his sentence?

I'm hoping it will be the dreaded Pollsmoor which just happens to be close to his sister's home.

I'm hoping it will be the dreaded Pollsmoor which just happens to be close to his sister's home.

Ideal then. She would probably welcome easy access visiting. Are Rohde and Henri VB there? I wonder if they place such effluent (purposeful spelling) prisoners in with less privileged ones. I saw a documentary on this place a while ago and it was truly ghastly. There were many bunks in a huge space and dozens of people milling around. I’m thinking it must have been an old film and wouldn’t be so bad there nowadays??

RP harassed his ex-mistress with repeated unwanted phone calls while he was standing trial including one on her 44th birthday on April 30. She didn’t answer the call from a Pollsmoor Prison landline but she received a voice message from him wishing her happy birthday and telling her that he missed her.

His obsession with her has been central to his demise. He murdered Gill following an argument about his feelings for her. And when she dumped him after he became a wife killer suspect, he ignored her lawyers letters and court warnings, relentlessly stalking her until a judge removed his bail. In the process, he knowingly risked and lost the opportunity to walk his daughter down the aisle.

Yet despite all this and the humiliation of her testifying against him, he made a risky birthday call at a sensitive stage of his trial: a week after closing arguments and less than three weeks before Judge Steyn was due to deliver her verdict.

Witness X reported the matter to her lawyer and Susan Galloway, indicating that the calls were unwanted and distressed her. She also hoped that a successful conviction would put an end to the calls which she continued to receive on almost a daily basis. On some days he called three times a day from the same number he used to wish her a happy birthday and then increasingly were made from a blocked number. Although he never said anything during the calls and she could only hear breathing on the other side, past experience convinced her that he was the caller. His latest episode of harassment was corroborated by several sources and by advocate Galloway.

Galloway’s comments re the phone calls are in the article.

Correctional Services were unaware of his behaviour with a senior source saying that the department had not received any official complaint from Witness X.

He said the harassment would be investigated and factored into upcoming psychologist and social worker assessments that will determine which maximum security facility he will be sent to. It could also affect Packham’s rights and privileges as he begins his rehabilitation.

Wife killer Packham harassed mistress throughout murder trial, lawyer says | Weekend Argus

Judge Steyn reserved judgment in Rob Packham's application for leave to appeal his conviction on Wednesday. Judge Steyn said that she didn't want to rush her decision and would deliver it next week.

Packham's legal team are arguing that there were errors with the identification parade and that cellphone data had been presented in the case that substantiated both the State and the defence's case regarding Packham's whereabouts.

The State, however, is of the belief that Packham's bid for leave to appeal should be dismissed and did not have a prospect of success in another court.

Judgment reserved in Packham's bid for leave to appeal murder conviction | Cape Times

Judge Steyn listened carefully as RP’s advocate, Craig Webster, argued why she had, respectfully, erred in finding Packham guilty of killing his wife Gill. He said the identification of Packham at various points was "deficient".

Paul Gray, a pensioner and volunteer patroller, said he couldn't get a good look while Keanan Thomas stated in his statement that the person he saw in Diep River was a coloured man in his thirties, Webster said.

Webster argued that:

- there was no compelling reason to not do a live line-up;
- the parade was not done at the earliest opportunity;
- it was done after Packham's arrest, not before;
- there was prior and significant media coverage; and
- witnesses had driven together and spoken about the matter.

As for Gray identifying Packham in the dock when testifying, Webster said this carried very little weight.

Steyn said the cellphone data and evidence of Lance Govender showed that RP was not where he said he was on the evening of Gill's disappearance. She said he pretended he went straight home after having dinner at his sister's, but his phone was off for an hour, which was strange for someone desperately hoping for news about their missing wife.

Webster maintained the cellphone evidence was neutral. Steyn maintained "His actions were just bizarre for somebody who just lost a wife".

Webster asked if the identification evidence was not reliable and should be disregarded, and if one put the cellphone evidence in a neutral framework, was the circumstantial evidence enough. "There might be a finger of suspicion that is pointed, but it wouldn't constitute a case beyond reasonable doubt."

One aspect that puzzled Steyn was where and when RP's alibi of searching for cars on the morning of Gill's disappearance had emerged. She said a defence witness would have testified about this if they knew about it.

Susan Galloway said the investigating officer had testified about it, but couldn't remember who told him. "It wasn't given to him as an alibi... His (Packham's) initial defence was that 'I was at work'. When that didn't hold water, he changed it to 'I was looking for a new vehicle for my wife'." Galloway maintained that there was no corroboration for his version of where he was at that time. "The only reasonable inference is that the accused is guilty of these crimes."

Steyn said, "I don't want to rush off a judgment".

She hopes to hand down her judgment next week.

Was the evidence enough? - Packham's defence asks as judgment reserved in appeal bid

Wife murderer Rob Packham denied leave to appeal

Wife murderer Rob Packham denied leave to appeal

Delivering sentence, Steyn said: "The accused methodically, brazenly and clinically went about in an attempt to obliterate any proof of his cowardly deed. The actions of the accused prevented his family, including his daughters, from getting closure."

In an 11-page-long judgment on Friday, Steyn said there were no prospects of success in Packham's proposed appeal.

Cape Town wife murderer Rob Packham has approached the Supreme Court of Appeal to overturn his 22-year sentence.

On Wednesday, (31 July) Aa Western Cape NPA spokesperson confirmed that it had received Packham's court papers.

"The state has received the papers of Rob Packham indicating his application for leave to appeal his conviction," said Ntabazalila, adding that the state would oppose the application.

The NPA has 30 days to file its opposing papers.

Wife killer Rob Packham heads to SCA to appeal 22-year sentence

He then approached the Constitutional Court, applying for condonation and leave to appeal his conviction. The condonation related to both parties filling their hard-copy papers late due to level 5 regulations put in place for the coronavirus pandemic.

On 5 August the Constitutional Court dismissed Rob Packham's application for leave to appeal his 22-year jail sentence for his wife's murder

The NPA welcomed the court’s decision.

Prosecutor Susan Galloway said, “I am of the view that the Constitutional Court touched all aspects of the application. There can now be no doubt that he was correctly convicted. I am of course very happy that justice was done”.

ConCourt dismisses Rob Packham's application to appeal 22-year jail term

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back