TX - 22 killed, 26 injured at Walmart, Cielo Vista, El Paso, 3 Aug 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
And no aired footage of people being shot and running away screaming.

I don't know. I think that focuses on the victims. All the weirdos care about is the focus on themselves - their names, photos splashed all over the news with the macho-sounding terms of "gunman" and "killer" used to describe them.

These cowards aren't inspired by the pain of others. The sight of people running and screaming sparks empathy in most people. It is meaningless to them because they don't view their victims as real people.

I’ve been toggling b/w Fox and CNN and I believe both are now reporting police responded w/i 6 minutes of the first 911 call but shots lasted about 20 minutes and the shooter was actually apprehended in his vehicle a block behind Walmart.

I suspect it’s a matter of hours before LE response is criticized instead of lauded. I hope I’m wrong—they have enough on their plate investigating the crime and healing from the horrific things they can’t unsee.

Six minutes sounds like a very good response time, JMO. I guess we'll find out more as time goes by.

I agree.

< modsnip>

Legally, I don't think there's anything the government can do to restrict the media's coverage of mass shooting events, can they?

I've wondered if the government could ban the publication of images of mass shootings and/or mass shooters. Or are the images themselves considered forms of speech?

Our society has become desensitized enough to violence.

We don't need to keep bombarding our kids and teenagers with these images.

<modsnip>

What happened today wasn't a movie.
Tragically and horrifically, it was very real.

JMO.

I'm not worried about the images of the shootings being published. Just the names and faces of the shooters. I am also very much against government censorship.

The media used to air live footage of police chases and zoom in on the end scenes. Now they are sort of cautious and pan out for fear they will accidentally air a suicide as has happened in the past.

No law compelled that decision but it was spurred instead by a social consciousness that determined it went to far to air close ups of suicides.

I'm not for government control of the media. Censorship can be dangerous, IMO. I would like to see a social pact that makes the glorification of these cowards unseemly and inappropriate. It's something we as a society can promote.

Fox News is not stating the shooters name. They said they refuse to give him the notoriety (paraphrased). At least there's that.

I'm glad. They're still printing it on the front page though of their webpage in the first paragraph just like CNN and I;m sure other networks. I wish they would all just stop!!!

I'm glad. They're still printing it on the front page though of their webpage in the first paragraph just like CNN and I;m sure other networks. I wish they would all just stop!!!

Law is where this can stop. It is not a violation of the suspect's rights to have his name withheld, it is a freedom of speech point that his name can be mentioned.

Maybe a little caveat on free speech could prevent the glorification of like minded people.

Agree. It seems to have a negative effect in that it helps to quickly remove these crimes from public discussion and debate about solutions. Sweeping the whole thing under the rug, so to speak. We need to start labeling these people as the FBI does - domestic terrorists - and have a serious discussion about how to prevent these attacks.

We need Federal Laws on the books that define & criminalize Domestic Terrorism and provide penalties specific to domestic terrorism.

Until our legislators recognize that most of the terrorism that occurs in this country is homegrown, how can we fight it?

I don't know. I think that focuses on the victims. All the weirdos care about is the focus on themselves - their names, photos splashed all over the news with the macho-sounding terms of "gunman" and "killer" used to describe them.

These cowards aren't inspired by the pain of others. The sight of people running and screaming sparks empathy in most people. It is meaningless to them because they don't view their victims as real people.

<modsnip>

Focus on the victims' lives, not the terror of their final moments...I went to a Pulse shooting vigil in my local area and they gave a eulogy for each of the victims stating who they were, their interests, goals, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember CNN being hardcore about not saying *****’s name. It didn’t seem to make any difference, because since that December day in 2012, 2,188 more people have died in mass shootings in America, and that’s not counting today.

It’s going to take a lot more than not saying their names. I honestly don’t think the people doing this care if we know their names...they want us to know their crimes.

Edited by me.

That flies in the face of everything we know about these types of people. THEY want to be known. They want to go out as infamous. This is about them. About seeking revenge on a public that they feel has more than they do and has what they deserve. It's about making up for the fact that they are weak, cowardly, useless people who give nothing of value to the world and live mediocre, anonymous lives.

They want recognition:

An open letter signed by 147 criminologists, sociologists, psychologists and other human-behavior experts asks that the media stop publishing the names and photographs of mass killers.
Research has found that fame is a
major motivation for many mass shooters.
"They want to be celebrities," said Adam Lankford, one of the lead drafters of the letter and a criminologist at the University of Alabama.
Experts Call for Mass Killers' Names to Be Kept Quiet

But Hanlin, who says he will not “glorify” the perpetrator’s name by uttering it on national television, has suggested one factor driving the murderous actions of 26-year-old EDITED BY ME: a quest for fame.
Hanlin’s suspicion is shared by many who probe the minds of mass shooters. In a society saturated by firearms and preoccupied by celebrity, these experts say that those who perpetrate such armed mayhem often seek to break the bonds of their invisibility and achieve what they feel life has denied them:

Recognition. Glory. Respect.

On Friday, evidence mounted that EDITED BY ME was acutely attuned to the fame that comes to those who commit armed murder on a spectacular scale. Combing through the gunman’s online comments for clues to his motives, investigators found EDITED BY ME recently extolled the benefits of armed mayhem.
“I have noticed that so many people like him are all alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are,” EDITED BY ME wrote in a post about Vester Flanagan, who in August shot two news reporters on live television in Roanoke, Va.
“A man who was known by no one, is now known by everyone. His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems the more people you kill, the more you’re in the limelight,” EDITED BY ME wrote.
University of Alabama criminologist Adam Lankford said that fame -- or infamy -- has emerged as a common thread in mass shootings since EDITED BY ME predicted on videotapes left behind that their armed rampage at Columbine High School would be one for the history books.
For mass shooters, achieving fame -- or infamy -- is a frequent driver

I think that yeah, some of these perps are motivated by fame. We don’t have a number. We really don’t. We have to be honest. We don’t have a number. But I think definitely that some of them do it for the fame. For the attention. And you know, lots of people go through life never getting any attention at all. People aren’t paying attention to them in any way. And they feel they’re a nobody. They’re a nothing. And then they see this event happen – some heinous event – and another person, sort of like them, they think, suddenly is being talked about all over the world. And that has a twisted appeal for some people. I would probably call them a thrill seeker in many respects. It’s a thrill. It’s excitement. I’ve done a lot of work in what I call the “Type-T” personality, the thrill seeker. I would speculate that many of these people are in fact, T-types and it’s exciting. Probably the most extreme act a person can do - take the life, the precious life of another individual, and it’s that act that we in psychology have to understand and we’re not there yet.
Speaking of Psychology: Understanding mass violence
BBM.

How the media might be able to help — and when it might not be able to
The media needs to cover these events — they're important to public safety, and readers really care about them. These shootings can highlight the need for new laws and policies, such as gun control. And Katherine Newman, co-author of Rampage: The Social Roots of School Shootings, told CNN that coverage of shootings can encourage students and adults to come forward with information about suspicious people.
"While there's a spike in shootings following an incident, there's an even bigger spike in reported plots," Newman said. "This is because people are vigilant and come forward with their suspicions and concerns."

So how can the press cover these events and not give killers the attention they may crave?
THE MEDIA NEEDS TO COVER THESE EVENTS — THEY'RE IMPORTANT TO PUBLIC SAFETY
There's no easy answer. One start would be to not share the alleged gunmen's own videos and images — as thousands of people (and some media outlets) did after the suspected shooter posted footage of the shooting on Twitter and Facebook. And the media could avoid publishing pictures of the killers or showing their faces at all: Explain the events and what happened, but leave the shooter's identity out of it.
Mass shooters want fame. Here's why we should stop giving it to them.
BBM.

We need to start labeling these people as the FBI does - domestic terrorists - and have a serious discussion about how to prevent these attacks.
Of course. I agree that they shouldn't become infamous during the immediate aftermath, but FBI should eventually provide a detailed report about their inspirations and motivations.

Law is where this can stop. It is not a violation of the suspect's rights to have his name withheld, it is a freedom of speech point that his name can be mentioned.

Maybe a little caveat on free speech could prevent the glorification of like minded people.

I disagree. I'm glad I don;t live in Russia or Iran. We can make choices as a society.

Of course. I agree that they shouldn't become infamous during the immediate aftermath, but FBI should eventually provide a detailed report about their inspirations and motivations.

They will, and they have the benefit of a living person to interview.

That doesn’t happen in many mass shootings.

It looks like this guy has already made his motive clear with his manifesto, his choice of location, and his choice of victims.

Edited by me.

That flies in the face of everything we know about these types of people. THEY want to be known. They want to go out as infamous. This is about them. About seeking revenge on a public that they feel has more than they do and has what they deserve. It's about making up for the fact that they are weak, cowardly, useless people who give nothing of value to the world and live mediocre, anonymous lives.

They want recognition:

An open letter signed by 147 criminologists, sociologists, psychologists and other human-behavior experts asks that the media stop publishing the names and photographs of mass killers.
Research has found that fame is a
major motivation for many mass shooters.
"They want to be celebrities," said Adam Lankford, one of the lead drafters of the letter and a criminologist at the University of Alabama.
Experts Call for Mass Killers' Names to Be Kept Quiet

But Hanlin, who says he will not “glorify” the perpetrator’s name by uttering it on national television, has suggested one factor driving the murderous actions of 26-year-old EDITED BY ME: a quest for fame.
Hanlin’s suspicion is shared by many who probe the minds of mass shooters. In a society saturated by firearms and preoccupied by celebrity, these experts say that those who perpetrate such armed mayhem often seek to break the bonds of their invisibility and achieve what they feel life has denied them:

Recognition. Glory. Respect.

On Friday, evidence mounted that EDITED BY ME was acutely attuned to the fame that comes to those who commit armed murder on a spectacular scale. Combing through the gunman’s online comments for clues to his motives, investigators found EDITED BY ME recently extolled the benefits of armed mayhem.
“I have noticed that so many people like him are all alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are,” EDITED BY ME wrote in a post about Vester Flanagan, who in August shot two news reporters on live television in Roanoke, Va.
“A man who was known by no one, is now known by everyone. His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems the more people you kill, the more you’re in the limelight,” EDITED BY ME wrote.
University of Alabama criminologist Adam Lankford said that fame -- or infamy -- has emerged as a common thread in mass shootings since EDITED BY ME predicted on videotapes left behind that their armed rampage at Columbine High School would be one for the history books.
For mass shooters, achieving fame -- or infamy -- is a frequent driver

I think that yeah, some of these perps are motivated by fame. We don’t have a number. We really don’t. We have to be honest. We don’t have a number. But I think definitely that some of them do it for the fame. For the attention. And you know, lots of people go through life never getting any attention at all. People aren’t paying attention to them in any way. And they feel they’re a nobody. They’re a nothing. And then they see this event happen – some heinous event – and another person, sort of like them, they think, suddenly is being talked about all over the world. And that has a twisted appeal for some people. I would probably call them a thrill seeker in many respects. It’s a thrill. It’s excitement. I’ve done a lot of work in what I call the “Type-T” personality, the thrill seeker. I would speculate that many of these people are in fact, T-types and it’s exciting. Probably the most extreme act a person can do - take the life, the precious life of another individual, and it’s that act that we in psychology have to understand and we’re not there yet.
Speaking of Psychology: Understanding mass violence
BBM.

How the media might be able to help — and when it might not be able to
The media needs to cover these events — they're important to public safety, and readers really care about them. These shootings can highlight the need for new laws and policies, such as gun control. And Katherine Newman, co-author of Rampage: The Social Roots of School Shootings, told CNN that coverage of shootings can encourage students and adults to come forward with information about suspicious people.
"While there's a spike in shootings following an incident, there's an even bigger spike in reported plots," Newman said. "This is because people are vigilant and come forward with their suspicions and concerns."

So how can the press cover these events and not give killers the attention they may crave?
THE MEDIA NEEDS TO COVER THESE EVENTS — THEY'RE IMPORTANT TO PUBLIC SAFETY
There's no easy answer. One start would be to not share the alleged gunmen's own videos and images — as thousands of people (and some media outlets) did after the suspected shooter posted footage of the shooting on Twitter and Facebook. And the media could avoid publishing pictures of the killers or showing their faces at all: Explain the events and what happened, but leave the shooter's identity out of it.
Mass shooters want fame. Here's why we should stop giving it to them.
BBM.

BBM:

Yeah.

That's why at the very least, I'd like to see the images of the shooters being withheld in addition to their names.

We live in the Age of the Selfie.

These narcissistic creeps want the public to see their faces just as much as they want us to know their names, if not more.

Their images should be blacked out.

JMO.

Last edited:
Sorry y'all, but I really do need to know the who and the why when these massacres occur. It's not about notoriety. It's about trying to determine the contributing factors in these senseless crimes. There is no benefit in burying our heads in the sand. It's a complex issue that requires scrutiny.

I'm also not offended by the videos/pics of the victims. Maybe, if more people understand the victims of these massacres are real, innocent humans, we'll be more inclined to stop it from happening again and again and again.

JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members