TX - 22 killed, 26 injured at Walmart, Cielo Vista, El Paso, 3 Aug 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an ex FBI guy on Fox or CNN yesterday that said the things these shooters have in common is a base level of narcissism, few friends, frustration and a desire for attention and a “cause”. He believes the “cause” is the justification they use, and any cause they can glom on to will do the trick.

The El Paso shooter chose Hispanics. Pulse shooter attacked non-heterosexual, gender-fluid individuals. Last year’s congressional baseball shooter went after Republicans. Religious groups can obviously be targets (synogues/mosques, churches). And we still don’t know if the Vegas shooter was targeting country-music fans, music lovers, Republicans or maybe just happy people in general. We’ll never know.

The bottom line is no group is safe. There’s an alarming resurgence of Hate in this country (and others) —righteous indignation” has become socially sanctioned and encouraged in mainstream society.

IMO It is going to get worse before it gets better, as people seem increasing inclined to build relationships online instead of in person. it’s a trend particularly prevalent among teenage boys from financially secure families. I’m amazed at how many prefer to stay home online instead of going out with friends, are indifferent to getting a drivers license and have little interest in getting a job. Just a subset of course, but a much bigger subset today than in previous generations. Not a lifestyle that fosters understanding, tolerance and/or communication/conflict- resolution skills. Add violent video games to the mix and oh-boy, here we go.
IMO a number of things are needed to reverse the mass-shooter trend (and make the world better in general).

1). Increased access to mental health services for troubled individuals. Particularly those from middle-income families who don’t qualify for free services and can’t afford long-term psychiatric support. Most insurance plans fail to cover more than a few months of counseling. That needs to change or free services need to become available to all.

2). Bullying needs to stop. In person and in social media. Adults who often make critical comments about others online need to realize they are themselves bullying. Not OK— it’s setting an example that bullying is not only acceptable, but kind of fun.

3). Outlets claiming to report the news should be required to be objective and report facts. They have a right to pick and choose what to say, even if it fans righteous indignation. That’s what editorials are for. But differentiate editorial stories from “news”.

4). Social media platforms should take accountability for content posted on their sites. They can’t/shouldn’t be expected to monitor all content, but remove factually inaccurate, inflamatory content when reported.

5). If people see something they need to say something. And the people they say something to must follow up whether that be LE, school officials or parents.

This article sheds light on the type of home the shooter/murderer grew up in. I'm still not giving the shooter/murderer a free pass for his actions despite his childhood. It also appears that the house shown on TV belongs to the shooters grandparents and the shooter/murderer has lived there for 2 yrs.

El Paso Walmart shooter Patrick Crusius' father penned book about his life of drug addiction | Daily Mail Online

Unfortunately, he may have boosted sales of the book, since it is temporarily out of stock on Amazon. The kindle version is too much at $9.99 but you can get a free sample of the book.

. Overall I believe there are more negatives than positives because the ease at which one can do harm today is much easier.

Right here, right now, you are seeing the love and suport, the compassion and heart-felt sorrow of good people using the internet. It is used for far more good than it is evil. imo.

Trauma isn't just created by crappy parents or being fostered. These people are BORN with the propensity for psychopathy. It is not always possible to 'nurture' it away, but excuse me if I keep on trying.

They will be violent, aggressive and destructive and show zero compassion or empathy. This will occur long before these mass shootings. I am not BLAMING, the internet, guns, drugs, parents or trauma/mental illness. I am simply stating that it is the 'perfect storm'.

Without internet mine will not find 'his people'. Others who will hate so deeply that he will feel normal amongst them. (not yet anyway).
He will not have access to guns for mass destruction.

Once he turns 18, he will take the tools I gave him to try to cope in a world that will not be as accepting as I have. His psychologist will still try to counsel him, BUT he will be an adult and make his own choices. I will repeat all of this in a courtroom is his choices are not good. Their brains are broken, they know, many know, heck we know .......but giving them access to guns is the most crazy thing that we 'normal' people do. It may have saved many innocent lives thus far.

I used to ask why.....I now know much of the why, and I wonder what we can do about it.

There's a major issue in that many mental health counsellors don't take insurance, because of complexities of billing.

So the individual would have to pay out of pocket and request reimbursement. Even for Medicaid. There are lots of people who work as counselors or therapists, but there are major barriers to access.

I think psychiatrists usually bill like other doctors and aren't subject to this, but I'm less sure on that point.

I feel like addressing this issue would go a long way to helping people access consistent support.

This article sheds light on the type of home the shooter/murderer grew up in. I'm still not giving the shooter/murderer a free pass for his actions despite his childhood. It also appears that the house shown on TV belongs to the shooters grandparents and the shooter/murderer has lived there for 2 yrs.

El Paso Walmart shooter Patrick Crusius' father penned book about his life of drug addiction | Daily Mail Online

I think the last three cases I have followed have someone involved or connected or the person themselves that wrote a book. The perp in the ML/KL case AJ wrote a book. The parent of one of the wanted perps in the Canadian teenager case wrote a book. Now we have a book here, again by a parent.

I don't really have a point nor do I think it means anything other than I did not realize we had so many books out there published by unknown authors these days.

I continue to be surprised by things.

Jmo.

The word I wish the media would start using more when discussing these events is multi-factorial which means having many factors. Our minds tend to want simplistic answers. Its more work to think about many factors than to focus on one. There is never a single cause when dealing with any sort of social issue.

Trauma isn't just created by crappy parents or being fostered. These people are BORN with the propensity for psychopathy. It is not always possible to 'nurture' it away, but excuse me if I keep on trying.

They will be violent, aggressive and destructive and show zero compassion or empathy. This will occur long before these mass shootings. I am not BLAMING, the internet, guns, drugs, parents or trauma/mental illness. I am simply stating that it is the 'perfect storm'.

Without internet mine will not find 'his people'. Others who will hate so deeply that he will feel normal amongst them. (not yet anyway).
He will not have access to guns for mass destruction.

Once he turns 18, he will take the tools I gave him to try to cope in a world that will not be as accepting as I have. His psychologist will still try to counsel him, BUT he will be an adult and make his own choices. I will repeat all of this in a courtroom is his choices are not good. Their brains are broken, they know, many know, heck we know .......but giving them access to guns is the most crazy thing that we 'normal' people do. It may have saved many innocent lives thus far.

I used to ask why.....I now know much of the why, and I wonder what we can do about it.
Thank you so much for sharing this NSS. I hear you.

I already have horrendous anxiety and hate crowds. I do my shopping at midnight to avoid the crowds whenever possible.

However, I now carry the small 2 gram package of these with my cash and credit cards.
I have the larger ones in vehicles, emergency kits and backpacks we carry to events.
At least I feel marginally more prepared.

LiveActionSafety

So gratifying to see that in El Paso and Dayton, all those armed second amendment patriots were able to step up and make a difference and take down those gunmen... oh wait, that didn't happen.

Cielo Vista Mall is a Simon Mall and they have a no weapons policy. That's pretty common. I live in a gun friendly state and lots of businesses post "no firearms" in the window.

https://www.simon.com/legal/code-of-conduct

FBI's haunting warning about 'lone offenders' paints a grim picture

“The FBI is most concerned about lone offender attacks, primarily shootings, as they have served as the dominant lethal mode for domestic violent extremist attacks,” Wray told a Senate panel July 23. “We anticipate law enforcement, racial minorities and the U.S. government will continue to be significant targets for many domestic violent extremists.”

The FBI director’s warning came on the heels of an unusual appeal by the Secret Service, which requested the public’s assistance last month in an effort to thwart attacks by lone assailants.

An agency review of mass attacks in 2018 found that in more than three-quarters of the cases, the attackers engaged in suspicious or alarming communication that posed potential safety concerns to family members and others.

“Because these acts are usually planned over a period of time, and the attackers often elicit concern for the people around them, there exists an opportunity to stop these incidents before they occur,” the Secret Service concluded.

So gratifying to see that in El Paso and Dayton, all those armed second amendment patriots were able to step up and make a difference and take down those gunmen... oh wait, that didn't happen.
Yaasss, so fortuitous that only forty something people were shot...

This isn't Polyvent. Get a grip.

The Latest: FBI searching 3 homes in Dallas area

Authorities in the Dallas suburb of Allen, Texas, released a statement Sunday saying their contact with Crusius "can be described as limited at best."

Crusius has been booked on capital murder charges nearly 600 miles (966 kilometers) away in El Paso. At least 20 people were killed and more than two dozen injured when a gunman opened fire at a shopping area in the Texas border city Saturday.

Allen police say Crusius was reported as a juvenile runaway in 2014 but returned home roughly a half-hour later. He was also among eight students on a school bus involved in a minor crash in 2016 that resulted in no injuries.

Allen police say their last involvement with Crusius came in March, when he reported a false residential alarm at his grandparents' home.

These incidents will never end and they won't slow down until the rest of us "normal" people learn to stop accepting hate and divisiveness. That ain't happening anytime soon.

As an un-yet verified ethno-historian.. hasn’t happened...forever, even before the Paleolithic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member