UK - Whaley Bridge dam collapse: Evacuation over Toddbrook Reservoir fears, Derbyshire, 1 Aug 2019

Just reading about this. Looks like a big deal, but maybe the media is just trying to make it into a big deal?

Town evacuated as dam wall collapses
It does seem to be quite a big deal.:(

Whaley Bridge dam 'collapse': Town evacuated as 'danger to life' warning issued

The Environment Agency is warning there is a serious 'danger to life' in Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire, and to 'get out ASAP'...

Derbyshire Police tonight enforced further evacuations
in the nearby areas of Furness Vale and New Mills.

The force described it as a "unprecedented, fast-moving, emergency situation".

Tonight, around 200 police officers descended on the tiny hamlet to enforce the compulsory evacuation, reportedly threatening those who refuse to leave with arrest.

"We understand that residents will be concerned about leaving their homes, however, our priority is to ensure people are kept safe and well and are not taking unnecessary risks," a police spokesman said.

And it's most certainly not looking good now o_O
Whaley Bridge dam could be 'fully broken' within hours and cause 'massive flooding', says expert

2.44430293.jpg
An expert from Brunel University in London ...Dr Mohammed Heidarzadeh, said: "Due to heavy rainfall in Whaley Bridge area, the spillway is now broken and a big chunk of its concrete structure is damaged.

"There is a possibility that the spillway could then become fully broken in a few hours. If the spillway is fully gone, the embankment dam will be washed away very rapidly, which could cause a massive flood."

contains an estimated 300 million gallons of water – :confused:

... risk of wiping out the small town if it was to collapse.

24bea0ec137ae14deeeea42f1c6db3d2

WhaleyBridge0108-21.jpg
...Heavy downpours brought flooding and scenes of "complete chaos" to parts of the UK today.
Town evacuated over fears of dam collapse as 'danger to life' warning issued
Whaley Bridge dam could be 'fully broken' within hours, expert says

RAF helicopters drafted in to try save Whaley Bridge dam

Two Royal Air Force Chinooks have been drafted in as efforts continue to stop a reservoir in Derbyshire from collapsing after heavy rain

NINTCHDBPICT000510358974.jpg

The Chinooks worked through the night to drop hundreds of tonnes of aggregate to stop more water entering the reservoir

Toddbrook Reservoir, which contains around 1.3 million tonnes of water, has seen "extensive" damage during the flooding and images appear to show a huge hole in the dam wall.

The helicopters were sent from RAF Odiham in Hampshire to assist at the reservoir.

RAF helicopters drafted in to try save Whaley Bridge dam

Ministry of Defence spokesperson said: "It will drop one-ton bags of aggregate - a mixture of sand, gravel and stone - into Todd Brook.

NINTCHDBPICT000510413318.jpg
"This is intended to stem the flow of water into the reservoir."

RAF Chinook Called In To Help Stop Derbyshire Dam Collapse

I hope people will heed the warning. Sadly, I'm afraid there are some that won't.
:rolleyes: There's always one...
Whaley Bridge: Man refuses to evacuate and says it's 'health and safety gone mad'

Andrew Mclackland says he is going to stay put in Whaley Bridge despite warnings that the Toddbrook Reservoir dam could burst
0_Whaley-Bridge.jpg
"I think it's health and safety gone mad."

"I don't think it will go. I think it's a fuss about nothing."

Derbyshire Police have said a "small number" of residents have refused to leave the evacuation zone.

To help in understanding the serious concerns which lead to the evacuation orders - I think this pic. says it all really :confused:

Whaley-Bridge-3bf3.jpg
Whaley Bridge man refusing to evacuate says it is 'health and safety gone mad'

I live not that far away, and yes it is serious. The next 24 hours will be the decider, I would think. We are also having problems in North Yorkshire, which had a month rain in a couple of hours, washing roads and bridges out. The last couple of weeks have been quite extreme, really hot, then these storms. My plants floated away, days ago

I live not that far away, and yes it is serious. The next 24 hours will be the decider, I would think. We are also having problems in North Yorkshire, which had a month rain in a couple of hours, washing roads and bridges out. The last couple of weeks have been quite extreme, really hot, then these storms. My plants floated away, days ago
tenor.gif

They're doing a great job holding it, let's just hope the weather gives them a break o_O
WhaleyBridge0108-19.jpg

TELEMMGLPICT000205484961_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfy2dmClwgbjjulYfPTELibA.jpeg
Unfortunately... this is England! ;)

Whaley Bridge: Warning over downpours and lightning strikes amid fears Derbyshire dam could still burst:confused:

Downpours and lightning strikes are set to hit the country again
as emergency services continue to work tirelessly to prevent a damaged dam from collapsing...

whaley-bridge-dam.jpg
Water levels at the Toddbrook Reservoir in Whaley Bridge have been reduced by half a metre since then but the damage to the 180-year-old structure remains at a "critical level".
Britain_Floods_18328.jpg-85567.jpg
The Prime Minister visited the Derbyshire Town on Friday afternoon and met a number of families affected by the evacuation.
Storm warning for Whaley Bridge amid fears dam could still burst

:( Whaley Bridge residents blocked from going back home by police who fear storm could cause dam to breach

Evacuated residents of Whaley Bridge will no longer be allowed to return home to collect essential items due to the increased threat from the incoming storm, police have said.

Throughout Friday evening and Saturday residents were given a 15 minute window to return home and collect pets and urgent medication.

But due to the heavy rain forecast for around lunchtime Sunday, which could increase the flow of water into the dam, police have taken the decision to stop anyone returning to the town.

dam-Whaley-Bridge-1.jpg
The sound of burglar alarms and the RAF Chinook overhead were the only things breaking the eery quiet of Whaley Bridge Saturday.

The centre of the town was strewn with bags of concrete and spare pump hoses, as residents took advantage of a small 15 minute window to collect their belongings...

Last night an additional 55 homes were evacuated from the Horwich End of the town, as it braced for potentially two weeks' worth of rain to hit the area on Sunday afternoon.

Whaley Bridge residents blocked from going back home by police who fear storm could cause dam to breach

Might be some live updates here.
Whaley Bridge: Dam risk town braced for storms
I’m outside and have a weak signal and no video
o_O Posted at 1:09

Light shower at Whaley Bridge

Richard Stead
BBC Radio Manchester reporter

There was a light shower as predicted at about midnight but thankfully it has now stopped.

The cloud cover is quite high at the moment and I can see one or two stars through the gaps in the clouds, but it looks like we're not due for any real heavy thunder showers over the next hour or so.

Just reading about this. Looks like a big deal, but maybe the media is just trying to make it into a big deal

Town evacuated as dam wall collapses

From pictures it does not look like the dam was well maintained. What gets me is that they cannot drain the dam "because it would require a full fish rescue." I would like to believe the average British citizen is of more value than many fish.

However, having seen the effects of floods in Oxfordshire over the years I would not want to take a chance on an entire dam bursting.

It might be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Whaley Bridge live updates as drones used to patrol streets, battle continues to save dam
This incredible drone footage shows the huge amount of work underway to repair the damaged Toddbrook
Reservoir.
Drone footage
Drone footage shown at the residents meeting on Sunday 4 August. This footage shows different elements of the operation and what is involved...

Derbyshire Fire Service say water levels are now just below half way and the target is to get the reservoir to 25% capacity.

The drone footage shows the miles of pipework laid out to ;)remove the water safely and discharge it into the River Goyt.

He said: “It was quite frightening to see. The water was incredible...

A neighbour’s rear wall was washed away at the height of the swell, but now the river, although flowing fast, is at normal levels again.

*This is the big problem is where does the pumped water go?
The whole area's already on flood alert due to risk of overflowing rivers so they need to calculate this (along with the ever temperamental weather) also :confused:
Whaley Bridge live updates as drones used to patrol streets - latest

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back