Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Google Maps it looks like there is a big dam between that location and the Hudson Bay. From my (very limited!) experience of river searches, there is quite a bit of science to locating a person or thing in a river. They can analyse the conditions and make a pretty good guestimate of how far someone might have floated or swam or where a submerged body may resurface. I would assume the LE have someone doing this which is how they chose the location for the divers to do their thing.

I am revisiting my theory that they left Gillam before anyone knew they were there. That seems less likely in light of the new information. Let's hope this is the big break everyone has been waiting for.

Limestone dam is west of Sundance, not between the search area and Hudson Bay to the east.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fox-lake-life-not-back-to-normal-1.5237174
timeline-b-c-homicide-couple-manitoba-manhunt.jpg

(CBC News Graphics)

Starting to think the items left behind were red herrings and just wanted police to believe they drowned.
Well, that’s the problem with all this.

Someone who was just a fugutive from the law might not be as determined to set up false trails and leads.

As we know they were both gamers, it’s very difficult to see anything related to them as not set up to deceive.

From the MB RCMP Facebook page:

Aug 6/19 15 min ago

As the search for Kam Mcleod and Bryer Schmelgsky continues, we are able to provide the following update.

On August 3, 2019, RCMP located several items on the shoreline, approximately 9 km from where the burnt vehicle was located. RCMP have confirmed that these items are directly linked to the suspects. That same day, a damaged boat was also found along the Nelson River.

Based on this information, RCMP Underwater Recovery Team (URT) were immediately deployed. On August 4, 2019, URT conducted a thorough underwater search approximately 29 metres around the location where the boat was found. The search did not uncover any additional items linked to the suspects.

The roadblock on PR 290 has been removed, but officers remain in the Gillam area.

To ensure the integrity of the investigation, no further information about the items will be provided at this time.

ETA: date/time of post

OMG!! I had a feeling that they had found more than just the boat that caused them to launch this investigation. I wonder if they were DNA testing the items and that's why they didn't release any information about them for a few days. Weren't people saying yesterday that if they had taken a boat and it capsized, we would expect for investigators to find items washed up down the shore?

Very interesting! That tells us that after burning the vehicle, they maybe wandered around a bit and ended up on the shore of the river. That makes it far more likely that they stole a boat and flipped in the rapids - could be in the Hudson Bay by now.

Personally I'm convinced (unless new information comes up) that the river got them and they're now fish food. <modsnip> What <modsnip> were they thinking? I mean in general and with this specific decision.

I've said this a few times on here, but I feel like BS's dad was taken advantage of by the media. In fact, some of his later stuff (like the book) wasn't even reported on by mainstream media and was the focus of tabloids. He reminds me of people I know who have a lot of mental health issues, are going through a lot, have no filter when they talk, and need help. The difference is the people I know don't have the international media knocking on their door and wanting a statement. He doesn't seem to have a support structure of people who could rein him in and advise him not to talk. He has been quiet for several days now, and I sincerely hope it is because someone, even if it was just Victim Services, was able to take him in hand and tell him that talking to the media wasn't going to help him or help Bryer.

I feel really bad for the McLeod family, too--I think his dad said something about not even being able to talk without sobbing--but I get the sense they are savvier about this and also perhaps just have a much less dysfunctional family dynamic, so it is a lot easier for them to maintain a united front, stay quiet, avoid the media, and only release a handful of carefully worded but relatively normal-seeming statements to the press.

I don't blame either family for this. BS's childhood sounds miserable, admittedly, but other people have worse childhoods and don't kill anyone. I do agree that his dad sounds like he genuinely loved BS and was proud of him, even if he wasn't always in his son's life. His grandma seemed the same way. Even though he didn't seem to have a lot of stability growing up, I don't think BS was unaware that they adored him.

Agreed about his dad and the media. But TBH I suspect no matter what he said people would have found something to blame and criticize about it, because in these kinds of cases a lot of people love to do that for some reason. Kam's family has the right idea. They're already having the worst time of their lives, so why would they open themselves up to everyone on the internet blaming them and criticizing their parenting when a) they don't even know anything about them, and b) Kam was an adult and made his own choices.

Bryer's unstable family life and other problems like social isolation definitely were not an easy road. And I understand that, I grew up with similar problems and still battle the effects of those problems every day. But a lot of people deal with those issues and most of them don't go out and murder innocent people or anything like that. But still, despite all his family's shortcomings, I don't think what we've heard of the stuff that happened warranted him turning into THIS. I think that he had sufficient resources to choose between good or evil and he chose evil. They were far from perfect but this is not on them. JMO.

Not to belabour the book thing but do regular people just up and write a book about their lives to be published for the whole world to read? I can see a bit of a biography to pass down to your future generations at some point might be a valid reason. I guess its not the fact that he wrote the book but the timing of its release was terrible and I question his motives. Someone should have advised him not to do that.

Edited to add: The whole thing struck me as self-serving and kinda illustrated that the adults in BS's life may not have been setting the best examples for him (not blaming the Dad for his son's actions but I do think that it explains some of how things got to where they are now.)

About the book...from what I understand his dad was planning to publish it for months now and wrote it before any of this. He didn't actually publish it and said that he now intends to never publish it or make any money off of it. However he sent excerpts to the tabloids, possibly at an attempt at insight about what happened. I don't think that knowing what we know about his background and why he might not have the same social graces as most people, he intended for this to be some kind of attention grab. I think that he didn't realize how it would come off. JMO.

I have wondered though if maybe his dad wrote the book in the first place because he subconsciously saw things going in a bad direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
so we know there is large game there, but what about small game? geese? duck? what might they catch to eat?

They must have followed the Sundance Creek from their car to the Nelson River. It's 7km as the crow flies, and probably closer to 9 if they followed the creek.

There will be fish in the water.

They left Port Alberni on July 12, time unknown.
There is no time of death for any of the victims
No one knows any of the routes, just dates for confirmed sightings
Chynna and Lucas left the ranch at Hudson Hope on July 13.

Here's one of the links:

"Deese joined Fowler at the ranch he'd been working at in Hudson's Hope, B.C., before they left on their three-week Alaskan road trip on July 13."​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...-centre-of-2-northern-b-c-mysteries-1.5221041

Search for the grandmother for the July 12 date leaving Port Alberni.

Thanks, ya...I meant to say that we aren't going to really know anything in this discussion until those bits of info are shared by LE.

They must have followed the Sundance Creek from their car to the Nelson River. It's 7km as the crow flies, and probably closer to 9 if they followed the creek.

There will be fish in the water.
I suspect you're right. If I'm not mistaken, they burned their car near where the road petered out anyway? Seems like from there they must have set out on foot rather than grabbing another vehicle, and the river/creek would have been the most significant thing to follow. There's an odd logic to it, but it's still a baffling decision, based on how everyone has described the terrain up there.

Creeps me out to know they drove right past my grandparents' place. There's one stretch of highway between Meadow Lake and the road to Manitoba that they had to have taken (quite literally the only route).
It seems to me that they obtained a paper atlas, perhaps from Prof. Dyck vehicle, and chose the shortest northern route to Gillam.

Based on Gina20 hunches, I am now more convinced that they know someone who worked in a local hydro project. There is also good chance they were aware of the 1983 BC murders and Sundance camp.

If those hunches prove true, they may have wanted to hide out in an abandoned camp, but was forced to go on the river.

So LE found "several items directly linked to KM and BS". What items besides ID and two shirts (possibly more clothing from other video) could LE directly tie to them?

And how easy would it be to get blueprints/detailed maps for that abandoned area near Sundance?

wow, so they only made it 9km by boat?

I think they probably walked along the creek, which is probably a little more than 7km, and then hiked 1-2 km along the shore. My guess is evidence was found on the shore 9km from the Rav4.

Red star is the car, yellow is the boat

upload_2019-8-6_14-25-40.png

The boat was found 13km from the car.

upload_2019-8-6_14-26-53.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics