Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, ok, ok, CBC is trolling us. Did anyone catch the reporter's remarks about the regatta in St. John's? She just said "...you can get anything to eat, there's butter chicken poutine." :)

My impression was that they searched the area because aerial photos revealed the boat. Was the boat there on July 23 and no one noticed it until August 2, or was there a search because the boat was not there in early aerial photos and was there during a final aerial search of the area?
I believe when they announced the discovery of the boat, they said it was not there the last time they flew over about "3-4" days previously. It was the first day they spoke of the boat in a press conference. If they didn't miss it, it would have beached there on/after 29-30 July.

We know the boat wasn’t seen in earlier searches but that doesn’t answer the key question. Did they get in the boat the day they arrived in gillam and drown immediately and their belongings just washed up now or did they only drown in the last few days. Nothing else really matters. Either they died early on or they were under the cops noses for days.

The personal items were 9km from the car, upstream from the lower limestone rapids, and the boat was 13 km from the car, downstream from the rapids. It doesn't seem possible that their belongings were upstream from the rapids unless they capsized at the first set of rapids and everything washed down to the second set - but it would be very odd that their personal items drifted to shore upstream of the rapids.

BREAKING: Sources have told @9NewsAUS the bodies of Canadian teen fugitives Kam Mcleod and Bryer Schmegelsky have been FOUND in area surrounding Gillam.@TheTodayShow

I'm told both fugitives were found deceased and Canadian police have been in the process of notifying families before going public with the discovery.@9NewsAUS @TheTodayShow

Alexis Daish on Twitter

Last week everyone was convinced that they were eaten by bugs or bears, delirious from exposure or hypothermia. On August 2, 11 days after they burned the car and 9km distance from the car, personal items were found on the shore of the Nelson river - something no one expected. Clearly the bugs, bears and weather did not kill them.
Do you mean it took them 11 days to travel nine km?

That's a really good summary, IMO.

The apparent lack of real world planning is part of both their generational position and their time spent gaming. I include some basic outdoor skills in several classes, and the gamers get so excited about actually trying to make something simple (like a fish hook...or a simple trap...or a simple net). Their ability to do this is almost always outstripped by classmates who have any kind of real world experience. Some women in the class always do better on all three of these things, because they have experience with sewing and other small handcrafts. The net knotting exercise is probably the simplest, but boy, are the results really bad (and the gamers often get super frustrated and embarrassed). Naturally, some of the gamers are okay, but even such things as choosing proper container size for mixing some lab ingredients may elude them.

Now, Bryer and Kam supposedly had some time in the woods, but I'm guessing they didn't actually have to tie off a boat, or work with oars, or make a fire that doesn't smoke much, or figure out which things are truly essential to survival

I believe that Bryer shot and killed Lucas and Chynna (but am mystified as to where he got his gun). Kam was then part of an ongoing manhunt. The two of them planned to rob people on their way up north, and I believe it was tacit that some killing might happen too. That means they were essentially suicidal or at least willing to die.

The burned camper/truck just screams "we're doing this for excitement!" to me. Everything in their life was boring. They had no intention of finding another boring job, they wanted maximum excitement out of their adventure. Each time the adrenalin wore off, they were in a worse position, survival-wise.

Turning themselves in would seem like losing. Inventing new personae and solving real life day to day problems was exciting, at first. If they are still alive, it still is. The amount of food, alone, that they'd have had to pack or find or steal from some cabin...well, I just seriously doubt they were able to put that much in their backpacks, if they even had it in the first place.

If it's possible that some people living in northern Manitoba have not heard of them, then it is possible they are getting help, as this forum has convinced me that Canadians are super helpful in general. I'm guessing Kam can be quite charming and that's probably part of his online persona as well, whereas Bryer is the more villainous type, online.

It's sad that young people live in a world where scripted lifestyles occupy so much of their time. I should mention that I've also done the above-mentioned crafts with 4th-8th graders, and the 4th and 5th graders do really well, they're still at an age where their fingers learn new things easily. Something happens, though, between that age and college age...for one thing, the college students have a hard time listening to instructions.

Good theory! This is along the lines of what I think transpired as well. Video games weren’t responsible for their actions but I do wonder if it gave them a heightened sense of false confidence in choosing to flee as opposed to giving themselves up, to the extent of misbelieving they were invincible.

BREAKING: Sources have told @9NewsAUS the bodies of Canadian teen fugitives Kam Mcleod and Bryer Schmegelsky have been FOUND in area surrounding Gillam.@TheTodayShow

I'm told both fugitives were found deceased and Canadian police have been in the process of notifying families before going public with the discovery.@9NewsAUS @TheTodayShow

Alexis Daish on Twitter
WOW! Got the stream running for the RCMP announcement. Greetings from Amsterdam Netherlands, thanks for all the info on this great site and hope this all ends soon!

Alexis Daish on Twitter
:eek::eek::eek:

I have noticed that our usual good reporter that has been on the ground has been unusually quiet this morning. She hasn't tweeted in 4 hours. Not even about this upcoming news conference.

Alexis Daish on Twitter

Well that qualifies as 'significant,' I would say.

:eek::eek::eek:

I have noticed that our usual good reporter that has been on the ground has been unusually quiet this morning. She hasn't tweeted in 4 hours. Not even about this upcoming news conference.

She is in Gillam not Winnipeg. I doubt she will be at the press conference.

Well that qualifies as 'significant,' I would say.
Indeed. We all figured this would be big, but an announcement like this would come as a surprise.

I was convinced they were dead, but I’m impressed they were able to keep the discovery of their bodies under wraps (if that happened, and it happened yesterday).

I had high hopes that one of them would turn himself in and blame the murders on the other. That person still could have salvaged their life. It's actually baffling to me that they stuck together until the end.

That would be a decision that made logical sense. These two have not, to date, made a single decision that made logical sense, so why would they start now? Also as I said before I think they're so psychologically bound to each other (or "ride or die" as I put it) that it wouldn't even cross their minds to betray each other. Even before this they were described as "inseparable" by their friends and family.

And even if they did get in the boat, where were they headed? A boat trip to Hudson Bay is almost as suicidal as just getting directly into the water. If they made it to Hudson Bay, where would they get food and water?

I really don't think they were thinking that far ahead. If their long-term planning skills were on point in the first place, we wouldn't even be discussing this as they probably wouldn't have even been suspected in any of the murders.

That's a really good summary, IMO.

The apparent lack of real world planning is part of both their generational position and their time spent gaming. I include some basic outdoor skills in several classes, and the gamers get so excited about actually trying to make something simple (like a fish hook...or a simple trap...or a simple net). Their ability to do this is almost always outstripped by classmates who have any kind of real world experience. Some women in the class always do better on all three of these things, because they have experience with sewing and other small handcrafts. The net knotting exercise is probably the simplest, but boy, are the results really bad (and the gamers often get super frustrated and embarrassed). Naturally, some of the gamers are okay, but even such things as choosing proper container size for mixing some lab ingredients may elude them.

Now, Bryer and Kam supposedly had some time in the woods, but I'm guessing they didn't actually have to tie off a boat, or work with oars, or make a fire that doesn't smoke much, or figure out which things are truly essential to survival

I believe that Bryer shot and killed Lucas and Chynna (but am mystified as to where he got his gun). Kam was then part of an ongoing manhunt. The two of them planned to rob people on their way up north, and I believe it was tacit that some killing might happen too. That means they were essentially suicidal or at least willing to die.

The burned camper/truck just screams "we're doing this for excitement!" to me. Everything in their life was boring. They had no intention of finding another boring job, they wanted maximum excitement out of their adventure. Each time the adrenalin wore off, they were in a worse position, survival-wise.

Turning themselves in would seem like losing. Inventing new personae and solving real life day to day problems was exciting, at first. If they are still alive, it still is. The amount of food, alone, that they'd have had to pack or find or steal from some cabin...well, I just seriously doubt they were able to put that much in their backpacks, if they even had it in the first place.

If it's possible that some people living in northern Manitoba have not heard of them, then it is possible they are getting help, as this forum has convinced me that Canadians are super helpful in general. I'm guessing Kam can be quite charming and that's probably part of his online persona as well, whereas Bryer is the more villainous type, online.

It's sad that young people live in a world where scripted lifestyles occupy so much of their time. I should mention that I've also done the above-mentioned crafts with 4th-8th graders, and the 4th and 5th graders do really well, they're still at an age where their fingers learn new things easily. Something happens, though, between that age and college age...for one thing, the college students have a hard time listening to instructions.

This is some really good insight. I agree that gaming and the internet definitely cause rotting of a lot of skills. I've personally seen a significant cognitive and attention span decline throughout my teens and 20s as a result of it. I also think they THOUGHT they had way more wilderness skills than they actually did and were probably in for a very, very rude awakening in their last hours/days.

I also agree that a lot of their decisions seemed to have a "cinematic" quality to them rather than a "let's commit murder and get away with it" quality. It's possible they were "high" in a way off the thrill of actually "living" rather than just "existing" working a dead end job, playing video games in their free time, having a disappointing social life, etc. (in their estimation anyway...I don't think a murder spree constitutes "actually living," quite the opposite...what the victims were doing was more "actually living" than these two ever did). Witnesses said they seemed nervous and scared, and maybe they were -- but sometimes even that can be thrilling.

I also agree that even if they weren't actively suicidal, they at least had some part of them that didn't care if they lived or died (or thought they did...when it came down to it they were probably just as scared s***less as anyone else would be). That kind of mindset is very common among teenagers even if they aren't as disturbed as these two. Even if they didn't set out specifically to murder, they had probably discussed their murderous impulses enough that it was open as a possibility. So when it happened they knew they would stick together and not just roll over and give themselves up to police.

She is in Gillam not Winnipeg. I doubt she will be at the press conference.

Yep, I know, she has been the only one giving good updates from the ground, I checked an hour ago and thought it was strange she had not tweeted this morning. I imagine RCMP asked her to stay quiet if she caught wind of it.

Alexis Daish on Twitter

Holy *advertiser censored*. They actually found them. I am amazed. Great job, RCMP.

Indeed. We all figured this would be big, but an announcement like this would come as a surprise.

I was convinced they were dead, but I’m impressed they were able to keep the discovery of their bodies under wraps (if that happened, and it happened yesterday).

I do think that is what happened. We are about to find out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23