CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point I've given up hope that there will be any justice for the family. Not that I had any faith there would be from the beginning. What I'm really wondering is how the mother and father are doing. Have they left the hospital yet? I know they made a statement, but I'm assuming that was through an attorney, and they have not spoken publicly as of yet?

“The court finds that due to the graphic nature of the video and the significant public attention on the shooting, the release of the video prior to the conclusion of the criminal investigation reasonably could result in harm to the suspect, who is out of custody, and could interfere with the integrity of the jury trial process in any potential subsequent prosecution,” the court order stated.

The French family said that was the first time they had heard Sanchez referred to as a suspect.

Off-Duty LAPD Officer Who Fatally Shot Man In Corona Costco Described As Suspect In Court Documents

Meanwhile, 8 weeks later, this Murderer is still on a Paid Vacation. If the video is so incriminating, why isn't he under arrest yet? Why is still employed by the LAPD?
It is very frustrating for sure. Surely they have interviewed all the witnesses by now. We don't really know how the parents are doing, do we?

I think the guy went into fight mode without knowing exactly what was going on. Sometimes in stressful situations people don’t have the wherewithal to switch gears once they are activated, this happened to another cop , i think, who shot a fleeing suspect in the back after a brief tussle. A lethal weapon should be a last ditch response not your first recourse especially when the other guy is unarmed.
Anyone who carries a gun, whether it be a cop or private citizen, better quickly decide, before they shoot someone, if they're shooting in self defense or if they're shooting in anger because someone did something that angered them.

Anyone who carries a gun, whether it be a cop or private citizen, better quickly decide, before they shoot someone, if they're shooting in self defense or if they're shooting in anger because someone did something that angered them.
The line between "self defense" and "anger" has become extremely narrow. And again, there appear to be rules for those who are cops, and rules for those who are private citizens. I for one still find it difficult to believe that this murderer would be given the same preferences he appears to be getting, were he not a cop.

The line between "self defense" and "anger" has become extremely narrow. And again, there appear to be rules for those who are cops, and rules for those who are private citizens. I for one still find it difficult to believe that this murderer would be given the same preferences he appears to be getting, were he not a cop.
I don't see the line as being fine at all. They're two distinctively different things. You can't shoot someone out of anger, no matter who you are.

It may be that he is being given preferential treatment--just like Amber Guyger was given preferential treatment, IMO. It doesn't really surprise me. It happens in all professions.

Then again, we don't know exactly what happened.

I think that this means that criminal charges are likely.

That is my inclination but I'm a little afraid to get my hopes up. Since this was the judge's order he probably doesn't know either way. Unless the prosecutor drafted up the order for him to sign... in which case it would definitely give me hope for charges. Do we know if it was submitted as a proposed order? Or a motion?

This video must totally incriminate the shooter

IF what we've heard is correct... that Dad was shot first while begging him not to shoot, then Mom was shot, THEN Kenneth... I think it probably is very bad for the shooter. I think that it may show an execution.

Actually by not releasing the footage the judge is merely preventing a potential Court case from being compromised.

However frustrating not being party to all the information is, it is more important that no fancy pants lawyer can come along later and argue that the officer cannot get a fair trial because of the sharing of potentially prejudicial information.

I would much rather see a fair trial than a metaphorical witchhunt with pitchforks. Although I do agree that the wait for information is frustrating, and the wheels of justice do turn far too slowly.

However, much as the officer may (or may not) have committed a seriously misjudged act which in the eyes of the law appears that it may amount to a criminal act, I would not like mob rule to succeed habeas corpus. Ever.

Last edited:
"Mob rule"? Hardly. It is a "Freedom of Information" issue. This officer holds a position of public trust, I would like to know if he acted with integrity or not.

So much for the "45 days" rule regarding release of video information, that is simply a "fluff" to delay, so they can "say" that information is "public". With the caveat that non-disclosure can be discretionary.

The issue here, is that this officer has not been charged with any crime, ever. So how can releasing this information compromise his right to a fair trial? Isn't that interesting...

I hope the delay means that the DA is building a strong case for murder that will hold up in court. It may be that a lengthy interview with the parents is the final piece he needs...after they recover enough. It’s possible that releasing the tape could taint the jury pool. I’m not ready to say that this is a coverup yet.

The issue here, is that this officer has not been charged with any crime, ever. So how can releasing this information compromise his right to a fair trial?

It's not definite that the officer will not be charged with a crime - the Riverside DA has not made a decision yet. As long as the evidence (including but not limited to the video) will be made public (hope it doesn't become a Jussie Smollet situation where all the records were sealed, but even in that case, a judge then unsealed them), I'm willing to wait a little while longer.

How long does a trial usually take, from charging the suspect, all the pre-trial motions, seating a jury, etc? If the DA does decide to charge the shooter, it may be a while longer yet before the video is released because the judge's order states that if criminal charges are filed, the video has to be withheld until the prosecution rests. (If the DA still hasn't decided after one year from the date of the shooting, the video gets released anyway.)

It's not definite that the officer will not be charged with a crime - the Riverside DA has not made a decision yet. As long as the evidence (including but not limited to the video) will be made public (hope it doesn't become a Jussie Smollet situation where all the records were sealed, but even in that case, a judge then unsealed them), I'm willing to wait a little while longer.

How long does a trial usually take, from charging the suspect, all the pre-trial motions, seating a jury, etc? If the DA does decide to charge the shooter, it may be a while longer yet before the video is released because the judge's order states that if criminal charges are filed, the video has to be withheld until the prosecution rests. (If the DA still hasn't decided after one year from the date of the shooting, the video gets released anyway.)

People can literally drag out a trial date for years. Continuances, right now in Miami, the Nubia Barahona trial date has yet to be set, and she was killed in 2011. Fortunately, her killer is in jail.

Apparently, Officer Sanchez is back to work, on "Desk Duty".

Last edited:
Actually by not releasing the footage the judge is merely preventing a potential Court case from being compromised.

However frustrating not being party to all the information is, it is more important that no fancy pants lawyer can come along later and argue that the officer cannot get a fair trial because of the sharing of potentially prejudicial information.

I would much rather see a fair trial than a metaphorical witchhunt with pitchforks. Although I do agree that the wait for information is frustrating, and the wheels of justice do turn far too slowly.

However, much as the officer may (or may not) have committed a seriously misjudged act which in the eyes of the law appears that it may amount to a criminal act, I would not like mob rule to succeed habeas corpus. Ever.
I notice how quickly (within about a week) the bodycam footage was released of the Anaheim or Fullerton officer shooting the teenaged girl on the freeway this summer. The footage largely exonerated the officer and caused the girl’s family’s lawyer to backpedal. Is it safe to assume that if the Costco footage exonerated the officer, then it would’ve been released already, @PrairieWind?

Police release body camera footage of teenage girl's fatal shooting

I notice how quickly (within about a week) the bodycam footage was released of the Anaheim or Fullerton officer shooting the teenaged girl on the freeway this summer. The footage largely exonerated the officer and caused the girl’s family’s lawyer to backpedal. Is it safe to assume that if the Costco footage exonerated the officer, then it would’ve been released already, @PrairieWind?

Police release body camera footage of teenage girl's fatal shooting

Interesting perspective. I read now, that the judge has locked the video for a full year. The officer has not even been charged with any crimes, but the "evidence" cannot be released because the video could compromise the trial? Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj